Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Lulu is running an Arenas win-race style tournament right now, and I think it's pretty safe to say that matchmaking is a thing because this is all happening in open public queue and the tourney teams keep facing each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
low ttk?? have you ppl never played COD??

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Is sentinel charge broken in arena?

Sure seems like it, the one time I bought it it felt real bad to sit there trying to figure out how to unfuck it so it would charge (swapping weapons, reloading, etc) and getting nothing while my team got shot up

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

star eater posted:

Yeah I think they might be confused, low TKK means quick deaths, high TTK means slow deaths, apex has really high TTK compared to other games, you can tell this because some full auto guns without extended mags do not have enough damage to kill someone with every bullet hitting them in the chest.

I prefer high TTK because it gives people time to react and retreat, but it has the disadvantage that it makes pulling off clutch 1vs3 wins nearly mathematically impossible unless the other team just decides to come at you 1vs1 and have potato aim.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

repiv posted:

valk ult may need a bit more work

"Go for burn" *drops u in lava*

star eater posted:

Or Titanfall or Titanfall 2. I think the R-97 (the R-99 in the Titanfall era) shoots at the exact same speed but kills in like 5 bullets. BRZZZP!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Yeah I think they might be confused, low TKK means quick deaths, high TTK means slow deaths, apex has really high TTK compared to other games, you can tell this because some full auto guns without extended mags do not have enough damage to kill someone with every bullet hitting them in the chest.

I prefer high TTK because it gives people time to react and retreat, but it has the disadvantage that it makes pulling off clutch 1vs3 wins nearly mathematically impossible unless the other team just decides to come at you 1vs1 and have potato aim.

yeah same. high ttk feels like you can react, vs just instantly getting gibbed.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Truspeaker posted:

Sure seems like it, the one time I bought it it felt real bad to sit there trying to figure out how to unfuck it so it would charge (swapping weapons, reloading, etc) and getting nothing while my team got shot up

Nice, Lobas ult is totally hosed as well.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Something weird happened with my sentinel charge up when I switched to it mid match, but it charged fine whenever I did it during the buy phase

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

catgirlgenius posted:

imo the flat 25hp nerf we had for a while was the single best change Apex ever had. that was a fun few weeks. were people really that against it?
Yeah, it was loving garbage and played like CoD. Part of the problem was they buffed the hemlok, triple take, and brought back the devo (which wasn’t all that different from care package devo) so that also didn’t help.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Does Apex have some kind of initial baby queue? Just played with some brand new friends and I've only played a handful of games way back when it came out and yesterday and we went 4 wins in 10 games which seems super high for any BR at all unless you're Shroud or whomever.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The trick Apex pulls off (quite well, if I do say so) is that the high TTK is combined with really good-feeling movement, so you don't actually require opponents with potato aim to pull off these clutch 1v3s.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Orv posted:

Does Apex have some kind of initial baby queue? Just played with some brand new friends and I've only played a handful of games way back when it came out and yesterday and we went 4 wins in 10 games which seems super high for any BR at all unless you're Shroud or whomever.

Yes, it has a new player queue.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Apex with low ttk would suck. If you're gonna have a huge map with tons of space and angles you need high ttk or else the game feels terrible. I enjoy low ttk games but they need to be really tight like CS.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The very good final match of a streamer tourney earlier today where the teams were tied going into it :

https://twitch.tv/videos/1021474586?t=15289s

Today was Arena, and tomorrow is a BR event.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Nice, Lobas ult is totally hosed as well.

How so? I've played a handful of matches as her this season and it seemed fine?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

The Diddler posted:

How so? I've played a handful of matches as her this season and it seemed fine?

Oh in Arenas I mean. You click to get the batts from the supply bin and the animation plays but it doesn't actually give it to you.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Loba should have some bonus like 10% extra mats for her team to make up for the passive and ult being largely useless in arena

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Kalko posted:

The very good final match of a streamer tourney earlier today where the teams were tied going into it :

https://twitch.tv/videos/1021474586?t=15289s

Today was Arena, and tomorrow is a BR event.

I don't know, but something about this whole match just made it seem completely joyless, like no one actually wanted to be playing. The whole thing was just kind of stale honestly.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
Eh, it's going to be rough when there aren't private arena lobbies yet. Everyone hopping on NY and hoping to queue into each other was the best they could pull off. I think a lot of teams kept the energy high, but yeah a few dropped prematurely and/or went listless knowing they were out of the running early.

I had fun stream hopping to watch though. Arena is as good a spectacle as BR for me and I didn't expect it to be.At some point I'd like to see a mystery legends mode or legend/weapon ban pick for the sake of mixing things up.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

catgirlgenius posted:

imo the flat 25hp nerf we had for a while was the single best change Apex ever had. that was a fun few weeks. were people really that against it?

Yeah it sucked. The dev's justification for the change was literally "people were outskilling dudes who had good positioning and we don't want that to happen" which is loving awful for actually having fun.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

tetsuo posted:

I had fun stream hopping to watch though. Arena is as good a spectacle as BR for me and I didn't expect it to be.At some point I'd like to see a mystery legends mode or legend/weapon ban pick for the sake of mixing things up.

I thought it was great too. I think ranked arena is going to be great both to play and watch.

It was nice that the meta wasn't settled so people just bought/played with what they're comfortable with. Some teams even ran triple lstar because it's undercosted.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

OMFG my solo teammates last round.

"Oh poo poo I'm jumpmaster IDK where to jump I only played this map three times, let's go here gently caress it..."
*proceeds to go straight toward the beam in the middle of the map and dies right after I break off*

To be fair it wouldn't have been much different if they chose fragment so :haw:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Have had a few people pretend they didn't know what that centre beam did and beeline straight for it off the carrier before wooping and hollering down coms to their 2-3 Twitch viewers or w/e.

At least after the first two times I figured what to look for :shepface:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

SteelMentor posted:

Have had a few people pretend they didn't know what that centre beam did and beeline straight for it off the carrier before wooping and hollering down coms to their 2-3 Twitch viewers or w/e.

At least after the first two times I figured what to look for :shepface:

It's actually incredibly cool and good to roast yourself on the tractor beam

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Madness did that in a gold ranked game lmao. I think these guys didn't know, they actually seemed surprised lol. Honestly I couldn't care less since it's not ranked (and even in gold ranked I wouldn't care).

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
My first ever match on Worlds Edge the jumpmaster flew us straight into the beam. :911:

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

dragon enthusiast posted:

It's actually incredibly cool and good to roast yourself on the tractor beam

Best way to finish "play two games as X" challenges.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Could at least uncheck "fill squad" first.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Killing your teammates on WE is a mercy.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Pedestrian Xing posted:

You can just disconnect from the game if it's casual and it counts too. This explains a lot IMO.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

wyoming posted:

My first ever match on Worlds Edge the jumpmaster flew us straight into the beam. :911:

All things serve the Beam.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
it’s a hazing ritual to die to the beam

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just about every season I get one of my buddies with the old "They changed it so the beam doesn't kill you anymore" technique.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

tweet my meat posted:

Just about every season I get one of my buddies with the old "They changed it so the beam doesn't kill you anymore" technique.

They did change it so if the drop ship flies through it it doesn't murder the whole server at once, which is cowardice.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hackan Slash posted:

They did change it so if the drop ship flies through it it doesn't murder the whole server at once, which is cowardice.

Lame.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yes, it has a new player queue.

Hahah, yes it does. We went from a really good win record to getting people with 77k kills on a single character in our lobbies, that was a violent transition.

To that end, does QP/unranked have any kind of real matching or is just anyone goes, fill a lobby with 60 people?

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Orv posted:

Hahah, yes it does. We went from a really good win record to getting people with 77k kills on a single character in our lobbies, that was a violent transition.

To that end, does QP/unranked have any kind of real matching or is just anyone goes, fill a lobby with 60 people?

There is some SBMM but it's a lot less strict then ranked. I also think they try to balance around the best player on your team so if you happen to drop while grouped with a Masters or Pred, expect to see all dive trails lol.

Orv
May 4, 2011
We all have like sub 40 games so I think it was mostly the strictness getting us there. Thanks though, guess we'll talk about if we wanna try ranked and see how it goes.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i just realized that the prowler isnt availble in arenas; just too good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Chard posted:

i just realized that the prowler isnt availble in arenas; just too good?

None of the care package weapons are available in Arenas.