Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/NotPotBol/status/1392554906192543746

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

God drat, now THAT is a quark-gluon plasma hot take!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is really weird. Our chapter used to do priorities votes by card at the monthly meeting.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ah yes, the infamous Operation Assorabrab.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VickerySec/status/1393018036462882816

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Big gameshow teaching statistics wrong, as a joke

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

i love the genre of people who think they're demolishing a mathematical argument by repeatedly asserting that the incorrect intuition that the math falsifies is actually true

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Mathematicians HATE him

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Hodgepodge posted:

i love the genre of people who think they're demolishing a mathematical argument by repeatedly asserting that the incorrect intuition that the math falsifies is actually true

just proudly shouting to the world about how they don't understand a thing and that they're dumb enough to confidently think otherwise

it reminds me of terrence howard's terryology

https://twitter.com/terrencehoward/status/925754491881877507

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

just proudly shouting to the world about how they don't understand a thing and that they're dumb enough to confidently think otherwise

it reminds me of terrence howard's terryology

https://twitter.com/terrencehoward/status/925754491881877507

I... what on earth? this reads like timecube. is this person mentally ill?

e: lol what the gently caress this isn't a rando, this is the guy on Empire, holy guacamole

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

World War Mammories posted:

I... what on earth? this reads like timecube. is this person mentally ill?

https://twitter.com/terrencehoward/status/926045333079117824

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao at those terrence howard tweets thank you i sent them to a physicist friend of mine who is struggling to comprehend

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jose posted:

lmao at those terrence howard tweets thank you i sent them to a physicist friend of mine who is struggling to comprehend

terrence howard also has a micropenis, if they need more context

this isn't a rumor or anything, he did a full-frontal nude scene once

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Is his dick bigger or smaller than the amount of grey matter you've dedicated to remembering penis sizes instead of anything else

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

tokin opposition posted:

Is his dick bigger or smaller than the amount of grey matter you've dedicated to remembering penis sizes instead of anything else

You laugh, but one day his encyclopedic knowledge of celebrity penises will thwart an alien invasion.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
smaller, but it's also shaped like a penis. it's quite a rare brainial condition that may kill me one day, please show a little respect

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Behind every door there's statistically .5 goats so if you kick them all down simultaneously you'll get 1.5 goats for the price of 1 goat.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

So do I come at me

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

paul_soccer12 posted:

So do I come at me

I don't think you need to worry about anyone coming at, with, for, or around you.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

lmao cyber security expert with a checkmark

https://twitter.com/VickerySec/status/1360812575072481280

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

I'm pretty sure this is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever read

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

this hurt my brain, which has taken far too much abuse to be this delicate

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is a description by a crazy person, but is that not what a one‐time pad is?

The cyphertext could decrypt to any message of the same length. It just depends on what the key is.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Platystemon posted:

This is a description by a crazy person, but is that not what a one‐time pad is?

The cyphertext could decrypt to any message of the same length. It just depends on what the key is.

Nope. A one-time pad gives you a single correct answer. It does not give you multiple answers, one of which you determine to be correct over time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hodgepodge posted:

Big Bang? There's no air in space, so how could there be sound!

Terrence Howard came up in a thread a while ago with his arguments that 1x0 = 1 and all that insanity. I don't even know where to start with someone like that because they're so fundamentally and thoroughly wrong about everything.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Nope. A one-time pad gives you a single correct answer. It does not give you multiple answers, one of which you determine to be correct over time.

The correct key gives a single decoding, but if the message has n bits, there are 2n possible keys. Most of them result in complete gibberish, but many of them will be plausible but wrong messages. Without external information, there’s no way to distinguish the correct key from any other.

This is possible because the key of a OTP carries as much information as the message itself. It is not possible with most other encryption schemes, where the key is much shorter than the message. They often feature a checksum to explicitly confirm the correct decoding, but even if not, you’ve probably got the right key when the output makes any kind of sense at all.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you wanted to, you could make a one-time pad with multiple keys, then send a message so that recipients with different keys would receive different messages. You'd have to plan them out ahead of time, and it's a terrible idea for anything secure because the whole point of a one-time pad is concealing information by splitting it into two uncrackable halves.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Nyy bs lbh ner shpxvat areqf

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Plausible but wrong :hmmyes:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I stick with the door I originally picked because I’m never wrong bitches

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

its not easy being a republican let me tell ya

https://twitter.com/kvnrogan/status/1393580688495058955

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

The funny thing with people not getting the Monty Haul problem is there's only 3 doors and you can just model all outcomes to prove it's better to switch. If your intuition was wrong, that's fine; it happens to a lotta good people. But to still not get it after mapping outcomes?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Platystemon posted:

The correct key gives a single decoding, but if the message has n bits, there are 2n possible keys. Most of them result in complete gibberish, but many of them will be plausible but wrong messages. Without external information, there’s no way to distinguish the correct key from any other.

This is possible because the key of a OTP carries as much information as the message itself. It is not possible with most other encryption schemes, where the key is much shorter than the message. They often feature a checksum to explicitly confirm the correct decoding, but even if not, you’ve probably got the right key when the output makes any kind of sense at all.
Fair. In practice, the decryptors (assuming we're back in the era when this was done by hand) aren't going to be able to traverse the entire keyspace, and the odds of their encountering a message that is meaningful in the target language aren't high.

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Fair. In practice, the decryptors (assuming we're back in the era when this was done by hand) aren't going to be able to traverse the entire keyspace, and the odds of their encountering a message that is meaningful in the target language aren't high.

are you or I misunderstanding something completely here? being able to transverse the absolutely 100% entire keyspace is the whole point

it’s a 100% uncrackable (no quantum computers backsis, real forever) encryption, if you can ensure the trusted transfer of the key the actual mathematical decryption part is 1000% sure and the actual encryption/decryption math part is comically trivial

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021
like the actual mathematical cipher applied would be entirely for show and could be “ mover every letter move up one”, “do some fancy insane algebra that only the nsa has the funding to do”, or “return 100% unadulterated message”, it wouldn’t matter

decryption times have never been an issue with one-time pads and will never be, they are literally unbreakable

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Charles Ingalls posted:

are you or I misunderstanding something completely here? being able to transverse the absolutely 100% entire keyspace is the whole point

it’s a 100% uncrackable (no quantum computers backsis, real forever) encryption, if you can ensure the trusted transfer of the key the actual mathematical decryption part is 1000% sure and the actual encryption/decryption math part is comically trivial

I may be misunderstanding Platystemon. I understood Platystemon as saying that with a 2^N keyspace, some keys will generate plaintexts that are readable in some language. That seemed plausible to me. How long it takes to find an incorrect key that generates a readable plaintext is left as an exercise for the reader.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Kitfox88 posted:

I stick with the door I originally picked because I’m never wrong bitches

In 33% of all possible universes this is true.

Thus Politifact rates this statement Mostly False.

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I may be misunderstanding Platystemon. I understood Platystemon as saying that with a 2^N keyspace, some keys will generate plaintexts that are readable in some language. That seemed plausible to me. How long it takes to find an incorrect key that generates a readable plaintext is left as an exercise for the reader.

the paintexts will potentially will be readable is any possible mathematical permuations and in any language humanity has ever had, it's irrelevant

literally any message you can conceive of would be equally likely/unlikely

"attack the captiol"/"don't attack the capitol"/"im gay"/"aghsdjahgsdaglsdgf"

100% as likely, as said, provided you trust the key, this encryption is as hard/easy to break as it ever once was and ever will be, if you trust the key, which is just a number of bit as long as the stuff it need to encrypt in plaintext, it's unbreakable, always has been always will be

Charles Ingalls has issued a correction as of 18:10 on May 15, 2021

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021

Orange Devil posted:

In 33% of all possible universes this is true.

Thus Politifact rates this statement Mostly False.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021
so unless you want to encrypt with "love" or something outside the scope of science I'm afraid the holy one unbreakable grail of encryption was discovered and solved at the same instant moment in time