Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

For real though I got my sigmoid colon removed yesterday and I want to thank y’all for making it only the second most painful part of my week
Peak Irony Avatar/post combo :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

They spelled them out instead of saying OFA and AFO. Terrible chapter

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CuwiKhons posted:

Super confused on how she got Chisaki out of his cell if her quirk is nothing more complex than 'Gun Arm'. I thought she did something to the keypad outside his cell but unless she just shot it with her palm, which doesn't seem to be the way her power works, I can't tell what she did.

Look at page 13 (when she's contemplating leaving Overhaul behind), you can see her right arm glow in the same way it did when she was turning the lock on his cell. She's probably able to augment her arms with her Quirk the same way she can mold her hair into bullets.

Further down the page you can also see it glowing when AFO suddenly confronts her. She's already generating her arm into a rifle the very moment she detects danger. Two pages later it glows again as she's, presumably, turning her rifle-arm back into a regular arm as she accepts AFO's bargain.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
So she’s a cooler Momo?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

hatty posted:

So she’s a cooler Momo?

momo organism designed only for killing

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
Takes a lot of balls to be all of five feet from AFO and have your first reaction be like "nah gently caress off".

I love how everyone's first reaction to Deku is almost always this kid is crazy.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
It's pretty funny how both sides knew exactly what the other was going to do. AfO knew Deku would leave UA and have pros following him, and Hawks knew he'd send Nagant after him. I wonder how Overhaul will end up factoring into this, I can't imagine he'll react well when he sees Deku. I noticed AfO told her that he is "another victim of this evil hero society" which I took as him implying that is was totally those evil heroes that took his arms.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Overhaul is a broken man, he’s definitely gonna try and get Deku to bring him to Eri or something.

I kinda get the sense that Nagant might defect to Deku’s side after fighting for a bit, since he’s also fighting for a new system to replace the old in his own way.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't know, it doesn't sound like she was just a dissident against hero society - she apparently killed heroes as well, like Stain. I mean maybe we'll have a flashback to establish they were corrupt heroes or something but I don't think it's very likely Deku will end up teaming up with murderers (except Hawks).

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

#312. Hired Gun
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009224
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-312/chapter/22494?action=read

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Official translation clears up some weird verbiage from the scanlations.
  • Lady Nagant wasn't quite Hawks's mentor, but a higher-ranking hero in the Safety Commission.
  • LN doesn't actually call Deku crazy, it's Snipe saying how nuts her Quirk was.
  • She only killed one hero, not multiple.

I wonder if she took down a fellow Safety Commission hero? Possibly for doing the same thing Hawks did when he killed Twice? That'd explain why she was in supermax, it's not necessarily because of her Quirk, but because of the threat she'd represent to Hero Society stability.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Also it seems like she really can only turn her right arm into a rifle.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Horikoshi in the last third of My Hero Academia: oh hey, I almost forgot, I can write competent and incredibly badass female characters, let's quickly put some in the manga!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
All For One is so full of poo poo calling Overhaul "Another victim, kept down by this wicked hero society"

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Being Lady Nagant, I eagerly await the next chapter where her arm starts heating up and the bolt gets stuck :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SKULL.GIF posted:

• Lady Nagant wasn't quite Hawks's mentor, but a higher-ranking hero in the Safety Commission.
  • LN doesn't actually call Deku crazy, it's Snipe saying how nuts her Quirk was.

I wonder if she took down a fellow Safety Commission hero? Possibly for doing the same thing Hawks did when he killed Twice? That'd explain why she was in supermax, it's not necessarily because of her Quirk, but because of the threat she'd represent to Hero Society stability.

I also get the impression she is not a fan of All Might and how he did things.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
With the seemingly sudden shift in attitude and disdain for hero society, we'll likely hear about someone either not getting saved or actively being taken down when looking for help while she was on the job.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rhonne posted:

All For One is so full of poo poo calling Overhaul "Another victim, kept down by this wicked hero society"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can't wait for Lady Nagant to find out the guy she's been towing along is a massive piece of poo poo.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The timeline is a little interesting too. The Shie Hassaikai has been around for a long time, and Overhaul has been a groomed as a lieutenant since he was a teen or so. But it seems like he was the boss for a relatively short period of time.

Lady Nagant might only know him as a gangster with a cool quirk. And the ability to overhaul/transform objects is at a glance similar to the ability to transform your own arm and hair. Siblings or cousins, maybe?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

oh jay posted:

The timeline is a little interesting too. The Shie Hassaikai has been around for a long time, and Overhaul has been a groomed as a lieutenant since he was a teen or so. But it seems like he was the boss for a relatively short period of time.

Lady Nagant might only know him as a gangster with a cool quirk. And the ability to overhaul/transform objects is at a glance similar to the ability to transform your own arm and hair. Siblings or cousins, maybe?

I doubt they have any relation.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

SKULL.GIF posted:

My bet for Lady Nagant's backstory is that like Hawks, she was told to do something she morally disagreed with (probably also killing a villain she found pitiable, based on her treatment of Overhaul) and she betrayed the Commission instead. At that point she gets arrested and spends years ruminating on how pissed she is that the government attempted to use her as a hitman and then called her a villain for refusing. It's also a decent set up to go more in depth about Hawks' relationship to the Commission and him killing Twice on their orders if Horikoshi wants to get into that.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rhonne posted:

*points at bird*

This is Hero Society's fault.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Knowing what we do from One For All about how giving a Quirk to someone who already has one is a death sentence, it makes All For One a huge fucker for acting magnanimous while giving Lady Nagant Air Walk.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

amigolupus posted:

Knowing what we do from One For All about how giving a Quirk to someone who already has one is a death sentence, it makes All For One a huge fucker for acting magnanimous while giving Lady Nagant Air Walk.

I figure it isn't a full on 100% death sentance it's just too much strain depending on the quirk. Air walk might be really low maintenance, and the Noumu prove you can do it with body modification, also isn't that the whole deal with Gigantomachia is he could take multiple quirks without needing modification. I imagine One for All is such a problem because it's absurdly monstrous as a quirk, and that different quirks would be differently dangerous. Basically the same issue with needing a strong enough physical body to withstand the physical power of One for All you need a body capable of containing the quirk's power, which if you already have a quirk is too much.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah you need body modification to take in tons of quirks, but an extra one is not that big an issue.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

CuwiKhons posted:

My bet for Lady Nagant's backstory is that like Hawks, she was told to do something she morally disagreed with (probably also killing a villain she found pitiable, based on her treatment of Overhaul) and she betrayed the Commission instead. At that point she gets arrested and spends years ruminating on how pissed she is that the government attempted to use her as a hitman and then called her a villain for refusing. It's also a decent set up to go more in depth about Hawks' relationship to the Commission and him killing Twice on their orders if Horikoshi wants to get into that.

This seems likely, with the addition that it's stated that she killed a hero, so it's possible that she was working with someone and made the choice to kill her partner instead of the target.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah you need body modification to take in tons of quirks, but an extra one is not that big an issue.

At the very least, the 4th is the first user to (live long enough to) note the shortened lifespan, and by that point it was One for All with presumably 2 quirks, plus the 4th's Danger Sense.

I'm kind of curious if the strain is relative to the number of quirks or if it's just "if you had a quirk already and take on another it fucks you up" as in One for All counts as its own single quirk and the addition of one more natural quirk is the issue.

Regardless, I doubt the supermax quirk prison convict is going to be super concerned about dying around 40 right now.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
There is also the possibility that the hero was the target she was supposed to eliminate and the Commission simply threw her under the bus afterwards. Would explain her bitterness and distrust of current order just as well. Depends on how much (more) evil and shady Horikoshi wants to make the Commission.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Shere posted:

At the very least, the 4th is the first user to (live long enough to) note the shortened lifespan, and by that point it was One for All with presumably 2 quirks, plus the 4th's Danger Sense.

I'm kind of curious if the strain is relative to the number of quirks or if it's just "if you had a quirk already and take on another it fucks you up" as in One for All counts as its own single quirk and the addition of one more natural quirk is the issue.

Regardless, I doubt the supermax quirk prison convict is going to be super concerned about dying around 40 right now.

Shaving years off your life for a quick power boost now is a tried and true shonen tradition.

Now I want a gag comic of former shonen protags bedridden in a nursing home at 40 because they hosed up their bodies so bad defeating Skeletor or whatever.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Shere posted:

I think it has to be the second one since it killed the fourth user fairly quickly and All Might has had it for decades without any apparent effects. If I had to guess either All for One can somehow get around this when bestowing additional quirks onto people or he just doesn’t give a fick because they’ll probably be dead by that point anyway

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

christmas boots posted:

I think it has to be the second one since it killed the fourth user fairly quickly and All Might has had it for decades without any apparent effects. If I had to guess either All for One can somehow get around this when bestowing additional quirks onto people or he just doesn’t give a fick because they’ll probably be dead by that point anyway

All Might was quirkless. The issue that killed the Fourth was OfA being given to people who already had quirks.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I think All for One said that he'd seen the thing where giving a quirk to someone and it fusing in some way with a quirk that person already had to form a new quirk happen more times than just with his brother? Maybe I'm wrong on this.

Regardless, I imagine that just one quirk's effects are probably subtle enough over the long term that it's negligible. We know that with All for One at least, he had issues giving too many quirks to someone, that's what makes Gigantomachia special and why the nomu exist. I suppose that trying to wrangle out of that limit through One for All just results in a subtler death.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's also possible that the presence of the previous holders is acting as something of a buffer for Deku, protecting him from the worst of the strain.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

girl dick energy posted:

It's also possible that the presence of the previous holders is acting as something of a buffer for Deku, protecting him from the worst of the strain.

No they were pretty explicit in saying the reason Deku and All Might can hold it is because they're quirkless.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I don't think All for One really expects the villains he gives extra quirks to live long enough to notice 'hey, you cut my lifespan short'. It's not like it's going to age them instantly. They'll have a few years of being villains to run around and get into the kind of trouble that could get them murdered.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

CuwiKhons posted:

I don't think All for One really expects the villains he gives extra quirks to live long enough to notice 'hey, you cut my lifespan short'. It's not like it's going to age them instantly. They'll have a few years of being villains to run around and get into the kind of trouble that could get them murdered.

It's not like anyone has any idea that's an effect of multiple quirks, either, since the only reason we know about it is magic force ghosts. As far as all of OFA's recipients are are concerned, OFA literally just doubled their magic superpower count with no noticeable drawbacks.

I'd be pretty grateful to a dude who just gave me flight powers.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
https://w24.readheroacademia.com/manga/boku-no-hero-academia-chapter-313/

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

This chapter was a friendly reminder that even emaciated All Might is 7'2" with like 30 years of villain stomping behind him.

Also that Deku's an absolute madlad.