Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

After what happened in the ShB trailer I wouldn't be surprised if Estinien and Vrtra drive off the demons together, and then the WoL catches up with Thancred and Urianger who are investigating in the aftermath - and figure out that as bad as the initial invasion was, it's only going to get worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Chillgamesh posted:

After what happened in the ShB trailer I wouldn't be surprised if Estinien and Vrtra drive off the demons together, and then the WoL catches up with Thancred and Urianger who are investigating in the aftermath - and figure out that as bad as the initial invasion was, it's only going to get worse.

Yeah, I kind of assumed that the scenes in the trailer are things that will have already happened by the time we ourselves get to each of the locations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I guess the only trailer that was different was Stormblood since we fist fight Lyse a little bit of the way through.

Otherwise the trailers are always depicting what happens between the ending of the previous expansion and before the next expansion starts I think?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

the_steve posted:

I think the Sharlayans are just the sort of elitist douchebags who look at the calamities going on and think "Yeah, well we're better than them. As long as we survive, nothing of value will be lost :smuggo:"

So Sharlayan is our Amaurot

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Its Rinaldo posted:

So Sharlayan is our Amaurot
Weeeeeellllll....

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wow that'd be pretty cool if it ends up just being a cargo cult; that symbol is pretty damning.

Maybe they make the memory crystals for the Ascians and we'll get to watch some dope Azem memories (via a raid series or something??)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Academia Andyr was recolored Shire gear.... :tinfoil:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Eimi posted:

Academia Andyr was recolored Shire gear.... :tinfoil:

Close; Anemnesis Anyder. Akadaemia was just jewelry. ...also the Shire gear was actually made by Rowena in Idyllshire post-Sharlayan-gently caress-offening and has her branding, it's not actually Sharlayan. ...which raises a whole different host of questions about why it's in Anemnesis, but that's different.

jokes posted:

Wow that'd be pretty cool if it ends up just being a cargo cult; that symbol is pretty damning.

Maybe they make the memory crystals for the Ascians and we'll get to watch some dope Azem memories (via a raid series or something??)

Technically speaking the Ascian memory crystals were already disposed of, we gave them to Elidibus before he got sucked into the First's Crystal Tower (although personally I have my doubts they were the real ones). The only one remaining is Azem's, which I'm not sure is even a memory crystal.

Technically you could make new ones, but... well, it'd require the memories to put in 'em, and a good chunk of those seem to be lost.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

cheetah7071 posted:

One detail I noticed in the traler is that the weird flying monsters who Estinien is fighting seem to be in Thavnair. So presumably, based on Urianger's dialogue, Thavnair will be suspiciously untouched by the crisis, and we'll go there for that reason, before things really go to hell

Those weird flying monsters are trash mobs from Amaurot, by the way.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nessus posted:

What I wonder is how much of this is gonna be stuff that was already cooking and how much was Fannypack just cracking open all the stuff that was Under Development or Rejected (For Being Too Stupid And Gross).

Fandaniel goes to Lahabrea's study, pulls out a book titled "in case the good ideas run out".

And we've seen what Laha considers a good idea.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 16, 2021

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I noticed the Stomblood vocals coming in just as the scene transitions to Fandaniel

Storm of blood
Born from blood
Of our fallen brothers

Is he just doing all this for revenge since he knows the rejoining is hosed and everyone important to him is perma-dead? Dude is going maximum mad because sad.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hogama posted:

Weeeeeellllll....

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

This is probably unrelated and getting into tinfoil hat territory but one of the rooms they showed in the dungeon crawl video has a prominent spiral too:

It stood out to me because I remember thinking after the shots from Sharlayan and this that there was some kinda spiral motif this expansion.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

:hmmyes:

e: dangit

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Didn't one of the new zones use the Amaurot theme too? I can't remember which one.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So, the noise was Uzumaki?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

mare lamentorum I think? tho it looks like that dungeon crawl part is maybe the inside of a tower or maybe between towers?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

stev posted:

Didn't one of the new zones use the Amaurot theme too? I can't remember which one.

The moon one. Mare Something-or-other

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chomposaur posted:

This is probably unrelated and getting into tinfoil hat territory but one of the rooms they showed in the dungeon crawl video has a prominent spiral too:

It stood out to me because I remember thinking after the shots from Sharlayan and this that there was some kinda spiral motif this expansion.

I mean, we've known as far back as Heavensward that the nautilus is the symbol of Sharlayan - it's very prominently on the central building when you arrive in Idyllshire.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I noticed during the Thavanir show-off, the zone had the same aetheryte as Sharlayan, but Radz-At-Han had a different one.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm curious how much stuff we "discovered" that Sharlayan already knows.

Like, Alisaie is going to be showing off Angelo and some jerkbag is going to be all "Our cure for Tempering is grape flavored. :smuggo:"

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The Sharlayan's can keep their purple drank tempering cure. Ours is bacon flavored.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

the_steve posted:

I'm curious how much stuff we "discovered" that Sharlayan already knows.

Like, Alisaie is going to be showing off Angelo and some jerkbag is going to be all "Our cure for Tempering is grape flavored. :smuggo:"

Yeah it's going to be awkward when the Eorzeans show up with their magic pig and the Sharlayans have been using mass produced injections as a permanent vaccination against tempering for decades.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
It is interesting Thavnair has the specifically Sharlayan-shaped aetheryte, though the majority of the aetherytes we encounter in the game are of Sharlayan make (the ones in Othard are an exception, made by the Oshishu. And of course the ones made by Allagans or just the local beast tribes.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

stev posted:

Yeah it's going to be awkward when the Eorzeans show up with their magic pig and the Sharlayans have been using mass produced injections as a permanent vaccination against tempering for decades.

You know, 'it turns out Sharlayan has a solid defense against tempering' would explain why the towers, which are spread from Ul'Dah to Thavnair to Othard, just... don't seem to be around Sharlayan. Even if you could get one built near a temper-proof society, they wouldn't DO anything.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

After Shadowbringers global warming analogy having the Sharlayans being into vaccine hording would be pretty on-brand

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

My completely random guess is that the Sharlayans made some deal of neutrality, "you don't get in the way and I kill you last won't go after you." Either because they might know something to stop it or just cruelty to the Scions.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

multijoe posted:

After Shadowbringers global warming analogy having the Sharlayans being into vaccine hording would be pretty on-brand

I would think the only thing in the game would have been Black Rose with the Garlean Empire hording the curative to prevent accidental aether/soul death. The lore, though, shows that the Exach knowledge from his future that Empire did not have a cure and released the gas as a last resort.

Now that timeline won't happen since stinky-bou Zenos killed his dad and has commanded the gas be destroyed because ..... it might might kill the Warrior of Light. So, at least you can give Zenos that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's a shame the Black Rose stuff didn't really go anywhere. I'd have liked it to have had some impact on the main timeline.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bruceski posted:

My completely random guess is that the Sharlayans made some deal of neutrality, "you don't get in the way and I kill you last won't go after you." Either because they might know something to stop it or just cruelty to the Scions.

My guess is that they know the world is ending, but rather than try to stop it they're going to try to preserve what little they can (ie themselves) to survive to the next astral era. Keep in mind that the twins' dad is a big fan of Nyunkrepf, the guy who build the big ark in the Peaks.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

My guess is that they know the world is ending, but rather than try to stop it they're going to try to preserve what little they can (ie themselves) to survive to the next astral era. Keep in mind that the twins' dad is a big fan of Nyunkrepf, the guy who build the big ark in the Peaks.

Yeah, the Sharlayans definitely know a lot more than they're letting on. This was the most recent New Year's message:

"Our progeny may never know
Wherefore we look unto the sky,
nor why we dig for truths below;
We bear their scorn or watch them die."

At the time there was speculation that it was referring to Sharlayan, although there weren't many details at that point. Given everything we've learned since then, it definitely seems like it's about Sharlayan. I think they probably know about Amaurot and the calamities and that another one is coming our way soon, but it's easier to just keep their heads down rather than try to stop it. Labyrinthos seems like it's their underground apocalypse bunker that they can retreat to while the rest of the world gets hosed up. Obviously not everyone would approve of their plan, but hey, at least they're alive this way, right?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Sharlayans may also not know that the Ascian leadership is dead, or would not fully understand what it means, even if they are otherwise well informed. Of course, their magiscience was also able to let a boisterous graduate student figure out a way to permanently kill an immortal cosmic entity preceding the current cosmic order, so it is possible that there was detente with the Ascians, even if they were not exactly pro-Ascian.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/mrmraymundo/status/1393901494169083908

:unsmith:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

So random rear end stupid question, mainly because I'm going through New Game+ from ARR onward because I hate myself, but people get awakened by the meteor shower either real or otherwise correct? In the U'ldah intro it's a random rear end voidesent that gives us a crystal to talk to Mother, so is that...weird or should I really not extrapolate too much from ARR?

E:Aside from all that, I miss Thancred interacting with the Sultana. "Your impestiousness"

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 17, 2021

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TheWorldsaStage posted:

So random rear end stupid question, mainly because I'm going through New Game+ from ARR onward because I hate myself, but people get awakened by the meteor shower either real or otherwise correct? In the U'ldah intro it's a random rear end voidesent that gives us a crystal to talk to Mother, so is that...weird or should I really not extrapolate too much from ARR?

It's been a long time but I think when you first create a character you see a meteor shower in a cutscene, then you open your eyes and are in a chocobo cart

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Xarbala posted:

It's been a long time but I think when you first create a character you see a meteor shower in a cutscene, then you open your eyes and are in a chocobo cart

Ah poo poo, new game+ doesn't include that, my bad, I definitely forgot about that

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I thought the intro cinematic was my character magically appearing in the woods after Hydaelyn told him to punch to an Ascian in the face?

Canine Conspiracy
Dec 16, 2011

Did you play 1.0? That sounds like the Legacy character intro. You see the meteor shower and get the "hear feel think" during the 1.0 intro cutscenes, so you don't have to see it again.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The opening is like the WoL in your chosen class artifact gear floating in a void with Hydaelyn. You get the usual "hear feel think" thing and then see like the six crystals around you? I don't think it actually involves a meteor shower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
1.0 characters also saw dalamud fall, which had a meteor shower of sorts.