Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i love sucking at aerial sns so if i keep playing after endgame i am thinking of trying ig. it seems fun. not super enthused about the whole kinsect and harvesting thing though

also i FINALLY got enough stuff for a flinch free deco and did the so ogre fight that unlocks it. now to get stunned and have no escape but death :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
IG is indeed awesome and I regret only checking it out last week for the first time in the three MH games I played. It’s mega fun!

Achmed Jones posted:

i love sucking at aerial sns so if i keep playing after endgame i am thinking of trying ig. it seems fun. not super enthused about the whole kinsect and harvesting thing though

It’s not bad at all. Pick a dual harvest kinsect and a point or two in power prolonger and you’ll gather the kinsect buffs quickly and they’ll last a comfortable amount of time. Also awesome thing about the kinsects is they seem to have a high chance to flinch monsters. So often I’ll fire my kinsect at a monster’s head for red+white juice and the kinsect makes them stumble backwards.

For the longest time I avoided IG because I thought managing the kinsect buffs would be too much of a chore. I assure you it is not. The IG is awesome and the most fun aerial weapon I’ve ever played. There is very little reason for you to spend time on the ground. It rules and I love it very much.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Oldstench posted:

Can I just mention again that I loving love IG and am really pissed at myself for never trying it out before.

this. after a false start, I finally got the hang of it and it owns. beginning to think ive missed a memo though because almost everyone I get grouped with is using a LBG or HBG

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I fell in love with the insect glaive when it was introduced and i have exclusively used it for my entire Rise career

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok I’m 160 hours in and I think I am finally feeling the grind here

Do they patch regularly or is the next one the big patch and then done?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

FINALLY got a zinogre plate and now I look like a power rangers villain

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

There'll be the next big patch, but there will also be regularly-added event quests (usually no software update involved, just a server handshake/spreadsheet update in your save file) that offer new challenges and rewards.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

world had semi regular patches but for rise it will probably be this one big patch and then a series of event quests until G rank.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

so far the events have just been for stickers and emotes, but in GU there were buttloads of unique armor sets that came from event quests, rise could see something similar over time.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m pretty much all in on Hunting Horn and basically this last week and a half has been joining random HR hunts and showering them with tunes. The amount of Kushala/Teostra/Rathalos hunts I get is…. Noticeable. So yeah, people really rather not do these hunts alone.

My last Teostra had 3 Hunting Horns lmao

I stole your idea last night after I got two Magna Gems in a single hunt and figured I'm done with that jerk for the time being.

Joined some random hunts with my hunting horn and dooted them to victory. It was fun! Thanks for the idea. :D

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

For the longest time I avoided IG because I thought managing the kinsect buffs would be too much of a chore. I assure you it is not. The IG is awesome and the most fun aerial weapon I’ve ever played. There is very little reason for you to spend time on the ground. It rules and I love it very much.

awesome, thanks!

unrelated:

When it comes to unlocking videos, does it not count if you join a quest? i don't have videos for rajang or the spider unlocked despite having hunted them. most of my HR fights are through the quest board. they're not available in village mode, so i can't just go hunt them there. do i need to just do a solo HR hunt of them?

i wanna watch goofy kabuki videos!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

another question: do event quests expire, or do they generally stick around forever? i dont really wanna do them now, but i do want to get the gestures or w/e and dont want to miss out if they're gonna go away

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Once you download them you have them for good.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

Once you download them you have them for good.

:toot: awesome, thank you!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Wildtortilla posted:

I was the same way about thinking that managing the use of the kinsect was too intimidating, but after playing with it a while, now I feel like it doesn't do enough. Or rather, I wish it felt more like an engaging part of the combat.

Maybe at high levels of IG play you really need to pay attention to what the kinsect is doing, but right now I just send it out for buffs, recall it, and then completely ignore its presence until my buffs run out. It feels less like an interesting mechanic that makes the weapon unique, and more like busywork.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

most the stuff i find online says narga sns is a solid choice. what would y'all rec for IG? i'm not looking to do speed runs or min max, really - just want a good solid weapon/armor set that i don't have to think about very much

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

404notfound posted:

I was the same way about thinking that managing the use of the kinsect was too intimidating, but after playing with it a while, now I feel like it doesn't do enough. Or rather, I wish it felt more like an engaging part of the combat.

Maybe at high levels of IG play you really need to pay attention to what the kinsect is doing, but right now I just send it out for buffs, recall it, and then completely ignore its presence until my buffs run out. It feels less like an interesting mechanic that makes the weapon unique, and more like busywork.

If you use a powder kinsect kinsect management is more important since you have to mark the target to get the kinsect attacking and then attack the powder to activate it.

But that requires not using a dual-buff kinsect.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

most the stuff i find online says narga sns is a solid choice. what would y'all rec for IG? i'm not looking to do speed runs or min max, really - just want a good solid weapon/armor set that i don't have to think about very much

Nargacuga as well for IG. Get weakness exploit and some crit eye for 100% crit, masters touch, crit boost, and yer good to go.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Nargacuga/Magnamalo every weapon

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Having multiple HH in a hunt kicks so much rear end. The buff parade never ends.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

404notfound posted:

If you want to do more than buff management with Kinsects, try using a Powder or Speed Kinsect. It makes Kinsect management a much bigger part of the weapon's gameplan.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I genuinely wish the game rewarded matching up elements on weapons. As it is, you basically just make Narga/magna and go. Even when it's not this it's just raw. Like, it sucks that I could potentially farm up a thunder elemental weapon and in the end it vastly underperforms to a raw damage weapon on a monster that is weak to thunder.

Give me a reason to make all the different weapons, capcom.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Saxophone posted:

I genuinely wish the game rewarded matching up elements on weapons. As it is, you basically just make Narga/magna and go. Even when it's not this it's just raw. Like, it sucks that I could potentially farm up a thunder elemental weapon and in the end it vastly underperforms to a raw damage weapon on a monster that is weak to thunder.

Give me a reason to make all the different weapons, capcom.

[chanting] bowgun, bowgun, bowgun

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I think an algorithm adjustment that boosts element would serve this game well.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah elemental damage does make sense from a mechanics standpoint, but it does suck a lot that this results in 90% of the weapon trees being completely plastered over. Every game is going to have one "best" weapon because that's how numbers work, but to have such a wide swath of them be so much worse than the best doesn't feel good, especially when the weapons look so good this time around

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Elemental damage has kind of always had issues. They've made some efforts to balance it out better per weapon with better elemental modifiers on some attacks or improving elemental hit zones on monsters or element-based ramp up skills, but you always run the risk with that of just making weapons identical apart from element or increasing the grinding and equipment setup burden by making you have one of each element that you need to keep up with. It kind of almost has to be a style of its own for each weapon, like an elemental greatsword focusing more on plunging attacks and the wide swings vs charged slashes, sns with its stab, sakura slash on long sword, and so on. Additionally crit is just too good and easy to get and its skills scale raw damage better than anything elements have, which crit element wouldn't help even if it were stronger. Technically elemental weapons do have an additional way to scale over pure raw or status weapons since you can slot the corresponding flat element decorations pretty easily, but that's not really enough to overcome some raw weapons just being too good.

It is kind of lame, but at the end of the day the only real thing you can do is just decide if the flavor is enough to overcome lost time for you, and really for the vast majority of people narga weapons outperforming even the best elemental choice is going to be pretty low on the list of things determining hunt times.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 17, 2021

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Elements should do blights so they are not a waste v monsters who have no weakness to them

Also Pokémon should learn from this

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

404notfound posted:

Yeah it kinda depends on what type of kinsect you're using, in order of least management to most:

Assist: iirc all of these give double-buffs and aside from that their special thing is that when you have all 3 buffs they attack with some of your attacks, pick these for the most dragoon-ing and the least bug management

Speed: The fastest, obviously, but they also work like a crit draw build for kinsects, they charge up a powerful attack when on your arm (they'll glow blue and there'll be a blue light on the bottom of your glaive when it's ready) so you want to occasionally send out your bug to do a big hit on the monster. Take these if you want to kinda alternate doing one hit with your kinsect, then recalling and going back to glaive shenanigans

Powder: These work like kinsects in World, if you mark the monster (either R with your weapon out, or ZR + R to shoot a projectile, or tetraseal slash if you have that switch skill) they'll automatically come out and start attacking that specific spot while dropping dust clouds. Hitting the dust clouds with any attack (even allies can detonate them I think) will detonate the dust and apply whatever effect the kinsect has in a small area, so these can be really good for applying poison/paralysis/blast if they have that element (and especially if your weapon has the same one), or to give out some extra healing with a healing powder one. Take these + tetraseal slash if you want to manage your kinsect's uptime and maybe don't even take wyvern dive so you can fill their stamina really fast with the recall switch skill

other than that there's also blunt/severing kinsects of each type (with the same stats as the other damage type so it's entirely just which type of damage you want), so take severing if you want to make cutting tails easier, or blunt if you want to try to get KOs by slamming your bug into a monster's face (which is probably better on a powder or speed kinsect unless you don't need to cut the tail)

Xad fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 17, 2021

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Junkie Disease posted:

Elements should do blights so they are not a waste v monsters who have no weakness to them

I think this is a good way to incentivize building element.

Having an array of elemental weapons is just so much more fun than one or two raws. I would think that the ideal place for element would be that if you're hitting the best weak zone with the right element, it should out-perform a raw weapon; but playing element sloppily would lose to raw. I'm guessing they've gotta be aiming for something like that, but it just doesn't end up being the case most of the time. These games have so many variables, I'm sure balancing them is unbelievably complex. That's why something out-of-the-box, like the blights suggestion, would be a nice incentive.

Also, lower the monsters weakness requirements for elemental exploit skills to proc.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Captain Lavender posted:

I think this is a good way to incentivize building element.

Having an array of elemental weapons is just so much more fun than one or two raws. I would think that the ideal place for element would be that if you're hitting the best weak zone with the right element, it should out-perform a raw weapon; but playing element sloppily would lose to raw. I'm guessing they've gotta be aiming for something like that, but it just doesn't end up being the case most of the time. These games have so many variables, I'm sure balancing them is unbelievably complex. That's why something out-of-the-box, like the blights suggestion, would be a nice incentive.

Also, lower the monsters weakness requirements for elemental exploit skills to proc.

Some monsters have hitzones where the bad hitzone has high element hitzones or stuff like that. I think Mizutsune is one of them, so even if you hit the "wrong" part with a lightning weapon you'll still do ok damage. I haven't actually looked enough to see if there's a pattern there

I think the really annoying thing about elements is monsters are completely immune to so many of them. I get it's that so you change your loadout to fight them, but that's another reason to just build the highest attack weapon

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Any idea if they’re going to add the Kick Back gesture in? I know the move is in the game, my character does it during some quest complete screens! Let me kick back and relax after a hard hunt, Capcom.

Also, the Utsushi Mask S still isn’t showing up on my crafting list...so frustrating. Any suggestions?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s 2021 and I’m playing a monster hunter game without the Prance gesture.

It’s hosed up.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

NickRoweFillea posted:

Also, the Utsushi Mask S still isn’t showing up on my crafting list...so frustrating. Any suggestions?

Are you playing character type 2? If so then the set is called "Channeler's" and is modeled off of Hinoa's/Minoto's outfits.

The headpiece's crafting requirements, regardless of character type, are:

Kamura Ticket x2 (gained randomly from doing Village quests)
Anjanath Fang+ x2 (HR Anjanath)
Monster Hardbone x1 (bonepiles? or HR monsters)
Gracium x2 (HR crystal mining nodes)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

You get Kamura tickets from doing rampages too. I’ve gotten two sets of tickets that way at least...after more than 50 rampages :gonk:

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
just imagine how many tickets youll have after 100 rampages for the coveted guild card titles

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Are you playing character type 2? If so then the set is called "Channeler's" and is modeled off of Hinoa's/Minoto's outfits.

The headpiece's crafting requirements, regardless of character type, are:

Kamura Ticket x2 (gained randomly from doing Village quests)
Anjanath Fang+ x2 (HR Anjanath)
Monster Hardbone x1 (bonepiles? or HR monsters)
Gracium x2 (HR crystal mining nodes)

drat, I’m a fool. Thank you for letting me know. Next stop: clownsuiting for Chameleos.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You get Kamura tickets from doing rampages too. I’ve gotten two sets of tickets that way at least...after more than 50 rampages :gonk:

Hoo boy. I guess this is a good way to grind up some Ibushi parts.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Violen posted:

just imagine how many tickets youll have after 100 rampages for the coveted guild card titles

It’s only 50, I’m sure, because I have it and I haven’t done 100.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i was really disappointed by the narwa fight. i didn't much care for either her or ibushi

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Violen posted:

I assume they'll figure out to release rampages with less trash at some point and I can grind them out then

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It’s only 50, I’m sure, because I have it and I haven’t done 100.

Title, not badge

the thing that lets you make a sentence like Exhausted By Life at the top of your card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

World: What's the best way to get Daora Horn+'s? Breaking the head seems pretty hard from what I read, is there a trick to it?

Need 7 of them to get the HR Kushala Chest and Arms to get Handicraft 3 and unlock Royal Burst's white sharpness.

Maybe the answer is to just head into MR given I'm already at 8* quests? There won't be much HR left by the time I grind out those horns.

The set is pretty neat already for HR GL: Artillery 3, Capacity Boost, Focus 2, Evade Extender 2, Evade Window 3, Protective Polish, Speed Sharpening 1. Got a Protective Polish and Evade Window deco from the improved deco drop rate mod to make that possible.

Have both Focus and Capacity Boost on there because I'm running that GL mod and can do all of full burst/poke-shell/charged shelling from any lance. Loving that mod, though it does make fights easier when you can switch styles at will.