Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

How doable would it be to add a font size option to SALR? I'm getting old and so I've bumped up the font size in chrome settings, but SA has its own font settings that override that stuff. One Ctrl-+ puts the zoom level where I want it font-wise, but it can make some other stuff goofy as a result.

I asked in QCS a while back to add a font size option for us :corsair:s but I don't expect that to get added quickly and I think SALR maybe could add it sooner. Or maybe it's there and I can't find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

shortspecialbus posted:

How doable would it be to add a font size option to SALR? I'm getting old and so I've bumped up the font size in chrome settings, but SA has its own font settings that override that stuff. One Ctrl-+ puts the zoom level where I want it font-wise, but it can make some other stuff goofy as a result.

I asked in QCS a while back to add a font size option for us :corsair:s but I don't expect that to get added quickly and I think SALR maybe could add it sooner. Or maybe it's there and I can't find it.

Much like dark mode & the spoilers thing from last page, this is a feature that's very easy to solve with userstyles.

Go and get yourself stylus (chrome, firefox). Make a new style for forums.somethingawful.com and paste in this (this is what I use, adjust the px numbers up or down depending on your monitor & eyesight):
code:
.postbody {
    font: 18px sans-serif !important;
    line-height: 125% !important;
}

.forum_219 .postbody {
    font: 17px monospace !important;
}

.bbc-block blockquote {
    font-size: 16px !important;
    color: #383838 !important;
}

.bbc-block code {
    font-size: 13px !important;
}

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Now that dark mode is available, is there any chance that the quick reply modal can be changed to fit, and is it possible that the thread view can be updated to match the darker color scheme?

Also, the settings page might need a dark mode, but I'm not sure it's worth it since it get used so rarely.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

It seems Dark mode has broken post highlighting for me, and I had to darken my thread highlight colors a lot to be able to see the gray text used in the style.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

With the dark mode, is there a way to have a dark mode toggle in SALR too with a good preset on post highlight, unread threads with new replies, etc...

I thought of asking before going in and playing with all these colors manually if it's planned anyway. The default light blue/green for threads with or without new activity, yellow post when someone quote you, etc... the default were all great so I wouldn't say no if someone who's better at colors than myself can decide what the new defaults should be for a SALR + SA Dark Mode user!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Adding my support to an official SALR dark mode version. The SA dark mode looks great and I want to migrate to it ASAP, but I can't give up my thread highlighting. I'm going to play around with some colors and see what feels right.

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...
Can we have an option to show forums announcements at the top if we have "display threads with new posts first"? I almost missed the dark mode announcement because my unread threads pushed it off the bottom of the screen.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Can we get a checkbox to remove this?

There's nothing between PMs and forum rules in my options so I assume this link is new

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Go to your forums Edit Options page and uncheck "turn on experimental features" which is the very last one. Should do it.

EDIT: Nope.

Weird, doing that is how I got it to appear in the first place.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
stylus
code:
.nav_new {
    display:none !important;
}

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Javid posted:

Can we get a checkbox to remove this?

There's nothing between PMs and forum rules in my options so I assume this link is new

You can adblock it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Stare-Out posted:

You can adblock it.

I'm sure I could but I figured I'd check with the extension that specifically manages that row of links first

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
The whole post highlighting section in options has been borked for me since I switched to darkmode.
Is this something that will be updated or do I need to reload it or something?
I have tried updating the extension in Chrome multiple times.

Thread highlighting seems fine though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Quick Reply box is BLINDING ME

E: in dark mode

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Is this extension taking a policy of saying "no" to any feature request that could be done with user stylesheets, by the way? It seems to be the default response to a lot of things as of late.

If that's the plan for going forward, then that's fine and all, but the OP should probably have a note saying as such. I still feel like stuff such as font size and other things that can be done in CSS would be good additions for people who don't want to screw around with another extension and/or learn CSS but I'm not developing this so I can't really complain :shrug:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Is there a cache of IKs/mods/admins that can be purged/rebuilt? Some people who used to be mods/IKs still get highlighted in the bookmarks view though not in threads.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Agreed, we definitely need a way to purge the mods.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
New version of salr-redux has been submitted that has an improved quick reply styling when dark mode is running. I will try and get to adding a post highlighting / thread highlighting default colors for dark mode soon, as well as an ability to view the settings page under dark mode to make that work easier. Note, as part of this, I'm not going to have a separate dark mode toggle in SALR, but just auto-detect from SA itself for it.

If anyone has any particular suggestions for colors though, I'm all ears.

e: firefox and chrome extensions have been published and people should be able to update to 2.3.0.

shortspecialbus posted:

Is this extension taking a policy of saying "no" to any feature request that could be done with user stylesheets, by the way? It seems to be the default response to a lot of things as of late.

If that's the plan for going forward, then that's fine and all, but the OP should probably have a note saying as such. I still feel like stuff such as font size and other things that can be done in CSS would be good additions for people who don't want to screw around with another extension and/or learn CSS but I'm not developing this so I can't really complain :shrug:
For me, it depends on how "niche" the request is. SALR already does a fair amount of style mucking about so I'm open to adding more stuff. However, some of this is that my current time is very thin and I'm stretched over too many fun projects these days.

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 17, 2021

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Thanks for the Quick Reply box update!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

I contribute on occasion, but most of my development time/energy goes into the website itself right now.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Is there a cache of IKs/mods/admins that can be purged/rebuilt? Some people who used to be mods/IKs still get highlighted in the bookmarks view though not in threads.

On Firefox you can go to about :debugging, click "This Firefox", pick the SALR Redux extension, navigate to the 'Storage' tab, click the "Local Storage" row, find the moderator list entry (I don't remember its name offhand, but if you scroll down a lot you should be able to spot it), and delete it. Wait, where are you going?

Yeah, that would definitely make a good utility button in the settings.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

astral posted:

I see what's going on - it looks like it fails to work properly under chromium based browsers since SALR Redux uses // instead of [url]https://[/url] for the youtube embed URL. Thanks for reporting it.

Hello again! Sorry to bring up this old issue, but this never actually seemed to be fixed for me, on version 2.2.5 or the new 2.3.0. I tried disabling all my other extensions and that didn't seem to do anything either. Not sure why I'm having trouble with this.

Still on Chrome, latest version. Everything in the YouTube embed seems to work - I'm logged in, can add videos to my Watch Later, and videos add to my history properly. The only things that don't seem to work are timestamp embeds in the link and the full-screen feature.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Baggot posted:

Hello again! Sorry to bring up this old issue, but this never actually seemed to be fixed for me, on version 2.2.5 or the new 2.3.0. I tried disabling all my other extensions and that didn't seem to do anything either. Not sure why I'm having trouble with this.

Still on Chrome, latest version. Everything in the YouTube embed seems to work - I'm logged in, can add videos to my Watch Later, and videos add to my history properly. The only things that don't seem to work are timestamp embeds in the link and the full-screen feature.

I was able to get the fullscreen button to work for me in chromium again with a slight code tweak which should appear in the next release of SALR Redux.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Excellent, thank you! Looking forward to it. :)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

astral posted:

On Firefox you can go to about :debugging, click "This Firefox", pick the SALR Redux extension, navigate to the 'Storage' tab, click the "Local Storage" row, find the moderator list entry (I don't remember its name offhand, but if you scroll down a lot you should be able to spot it), and delete it. Wait, where are you going?

Yeah, that would definitely make a good utility button in the settings.

I'm on Chrome, but that lead me to find the right spot anyway (Manage Extensions > SALR > Background Page > Application > Local Storage) so thank you! It was a minor thing but it bugged me after a while :v:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

shortspecialbus posted:

I just wanna say that I am not on the extension team at all, and when I post a quick reply of how to do a thing with stylus it's not speaking on behalf of the authors.

It's just a fast way to fix the thing that someone doesn't like, which I can generally demonstrate how to do very quickly and easily. I figure that if I show a fix in 5 minutes, the person asking can have a better experience long before a feature can be added to SALR.

(Also, the "New! Dark Mode!" banner in particular I assume won't be permanent, so would IMO not be worth adding a specific feature about in the extension. Even though it would be fairly simple, adding the code, going through the review submission for an update, then eventually removing it again when it goes away, is a lot of effort for something that's trivially done through other means. Something like font size, or other cohesive whole-site features that aren't easy to fix for most people, is a different story.)

(Also also, I do want to promote stylus to anyone who gets annoyed by various website things and wants to change them. I think it's a wonderful extension that's improved the internet for me, because I can delete jackass webdesign crap. SA is a great website to learn the basics of CSS on, it's very basic.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Klyith posted:

(Also, the "New! Dark Mode!" banner in particular I assume won't be permanent, so would IMO not be worth adding a specific feature about in the extension. Even though it would be fairly simple, adding the code, going through the review submission for an update, then eventually removing it again when it goes away, is a lot of effort for something that's trivially done through other means. Something like font size, or other cohesive whole-site features that aren't easy to fix for most people, is a different story.)

It's indeed temporary but if I decide to promote another feature up there I will use the same class so your css should still work. Though maybe you want to see my promoted features???

quote:

SA is a great website to learn the basics of CSS on, it's very basic
Lol can confirm.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm not sure if this really counts as a SALR thing, but more and more people are using youtu.be for video links and it breaks the embedding.

Is there an easy way to get that working? Or is that more of a "go post your problems in QCS with the other weirdos" thing?

Same with having mp4s not displaying when people inevitably use [timg] tabs.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Can you link to a bad youtu.be link? If they're not working it is news to me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
This post has one. If I click it, it opens a link to youtube in Firefox, or embeds if I do it in Chrome.

But this is what I see:

As opposed to regular youtube links which look like this:

EDIT: This is going to be one of those "it's just you things" isn't it?

EDIT 2: Or maybe not!

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 19, 2021

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Can you link to a bad youtu.be link? If they're not working it is news to me.

Here's one I came across recently, from this post:

https://youtu.be/9g3--WYH8SY

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Kheldarn posted:

Videos only embed with video tags, so let's see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g3--WYH8SY

E: yeah, works fine

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

Ahh - those videos are using url tags. If you paste a youtube or youtu.be link with ctrl+v, the video tags get added automatically and work fine, like this. This will auto-embed as long as you have the "Show video embedded in posts with the video tag?" option set to yes in your options.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g3--WYH8SY

If you paste with right-click paste, the javascript doesn't capture it, and you paste a bare url, which the forums adds a url tag to when you submit the post. These will not embed, unless SALR has some sort of feature to make them do so. This is true whether it is a youtube.com or a youtu.be link.

If you add your own video tags, they will also work. I can't make a post do this because it gets parsed even inside code tags but here's a screenshot:

I am guessing from context you are describing an SALR feature - if SALR is changing regular youtube.com links that use [url] tags to instead embed, then you are correct that it could also accept youtu.be links for that feature.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Master_Odin posted:

For me, it depends on how "niche" the request is. SALR already does a fair amount of style mucking about so I'm open to adding more stuff. However, some of this is that my current time is very thin and I'm stretched over too many fun projects these days.

astral posted:

I contribute on occasion, but most of my development time/energy goes into the website itself right now.

Klyith posted:

I just wanna say that I am not on the extension team at all, and when I post a quick reply of how to do a thing with stylus it's not speaking on behalf of the authors.

It's just a fast way to fix the thing that someone doesn't like, which I can generally demonstrate how to do very quickly and easily. I figure that if I show a fix in 5 minutes, the person asking can have a better experience long before a feature can be added to SALR.

These are all absolutely fair and I hope it didn't come across that I was complaining. I certainly am not owed anything by the SALR team or users and I appreciate everything it is!

I will say that a font size adjustment is really an accessibility issue that should be configurable in the main site, but as I don't know what the timeline on that would be, I was hoping SALR could be a stopgap without needing to fire up user CSS (although the help with that is appreciated!)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Ah, I had completely forgotten about ctrl+V vs right click and paste doing different things.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I am guessing from context you are describing an SALR feature - if SALR is changing regular youtube.com links that use [url] tags to instead embed, then you are correct that it could also accept youtu.be links for that feature.
It only has an embed on click function and that works fine with youtu.be links.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Same with having mp4s not displaying when people inevitably use [timg] tabs.
Not sure if this is related, but something weird is going on with mp4 links.
Take this post in the Steam thread for example:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=514781608

If you quote the post, you see that it only contains links to mp4 files:

quote:

https://i.imgur.com/LlbnfBt.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/pv7VQUk.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/xGBL5HQ.mp4

But the forums turn it into this:

The .webm link is never valid and only returns a 404 error message. Playback still works because the first video source is valid, but this still seems wrong.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Tamba posted:

Not sure if this is related, but something weird is going on with mp4 links.
Take this post in the Steam thread for example:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=514781608

If you quote the post, you see that it only contains links to mp4 files:

But the forums turn it into this:

The .webm link is never valid and only returns a 404 error message. Playback still works because the first video source is valid, but this still seems wrong.

That's forum JS, and I agree that it's not a great idea for it to guess that a fallback exists.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Quick Reply should have one of those obnoxious javascript "Are you sure you want to close this page?" popups if you accidentally try to close a tab/window with an open reply. :ughh:

At least something cached the reply-in-progress.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That reminded me of a classic bug where if you minimize the quick reply window the live preview gets unchecked when you pop it back up. Obviously not a big deal but I remember mentioning it ages ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Circumcised Elon
Jun 20, 2021

by Shine
Hi

Ive noticed SALR Redux (Version: 2.3.0) keeps disappearing from my Extensions.

I am using FF Nightly so it probably that, each time it updates its removing SALR for some reason.