Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Shiroc posted:

Go back in time to Pujols' Cardinals peak and explain to people that after he leaves the Cards, he has 5 good to acceptable years with the Angels, 4+ awful ones, then after being released he's batting cleanup for the defending World Champion Dodgers.

How does his career arc stack up against Griffey, jr?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Junior had two years of OPS+ under 100, One being his last. Pujols has had four in a row.

I think Griffey's decline, even with his knees falling apart, was more gradual. He was merely very good for several years. Pujols just sort of fell off a cliff.

Griffey also played competent CF almost his whole career, while Pujols... was the guy at 1B.

So I'd argue that Pujols' fall was more spectacular. Junior was more a case of "unfulfilled" "potential".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

How is it possible that the Twins are the worst team in baseball right now????

The Tigers have zero offense and they have won two more total games.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I legitimately have no idea what the Dodgers are doing with Pujols. Batting the all-time GIDP leader 4th. This is an elaborate joke, right?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

this feels like a very Grandal kind of line

Its the most extreme line of his career. His BA is .080 lower than is worst ever while he has the highest OBP of his career. His walk rate is rivalling Barry Bonds' best seasons but unlike Bonds, he's not even swinging at pitches IN the zone. He's just refusing to swing the bat and pitchers aren't throwing him strikes for whatever reason.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Looks like they're just really loving bad. Lots of regression, awful pitching, awful hitting, awful fielding, and Rocco Baldelli is a terrible loving manager

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

bees x1000 posted:

I legitimately have no idea what the Dodgers are doing with Pujols. Batting the all-time GIDP leader 4th. This is an elaborate joke, right?
The dodgers FO: I can fix him

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Cubs got a new PA announcer and he's only 21 years old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxKfbTC60d8

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/1394498097254965249?s=19

Don't see the lie here.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Cubs got a new PA announcer and he's only 21 years old

The first major Cubs signing in a while.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FlamingLiberal posted:

Andrelton Simmons being an antivaxxer has destroyed clubhouse morale

RC and Moon Pie posted:

:nms: Kevin Pillar taking a pitch to the nose. Turn away if you don't want to see blood.

https://twitter.com/TheRole_Players/status/1394468028625014793

holy poo poo it's like a faucet

also that Ohtani home run was Astudillo-esque

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

Andrelton Simmons being an antivaxxer has destroyed clubhouse morale

I'm convinced it's this. It doesn't help that the games I've watched that he's been in his apparently stellar defense has been just awful.

I feel like he doesn't want to be there and nobody else does either.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I wanna know what the cameraman was doing as they completely missed the runner going home the first time

I think that's less on the cameraman and more on the director not switching to another camera angle to show it happening. It was picked up by the home plate camera though.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bees x1000 posted:

He got a key rbi single last night and managed to avoid the gidp ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bryant left a snickers for Schwarber in left field
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1394461257831309312?s=19

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

I'm convinced it's this. It doesn't help that the games I've watched that he's been in his apparently stellar defense has been just awful.

I feel like he doesn't want to be there and nobody else does either.

yeah I wasn't even half joking, you can pinpoint where the season fell off the rails to the exact moment we had the covid outbreak and he spent two or three weeks on the covid IL

obviously there are other idiots preventing the team from reaching the 85% but he feels like the center of it, and I can't imagine the guys who got vaccinated aren't stewing about not being able to go out and do stuff because of the players/staff who are holding them back

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 18, 2021

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
If Ohtani keeps this up he should smash some sort of WAR record right? He's giving so much drat value to that team it's incredible. And the Angels are 18-22. Unreal.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Thom P. Tiers posted:

If Ohtani keeps this up he should smash some sort of WAR record right? He's giving so much drat value to that team it's incredible. And the Angels are 18-22. Unreal.
I don't think he's even first for this year right now

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I don't think he's even first for this year right now

Ohtani is 14th on the combined fangraphs WAR leaderboard. DeGrom is first, Buxton is just edging out Trout for position players.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
WAR in general isn't super kind to pitchers who aren't over the top elite, and it also hurts value when you're not at least an average glove at a value position or a plus glove elsewhere.

what I'm saying is maybe ohtani should play shortstop or catcher

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

hahahaha i love this.
Also (weather pending) I am going to my first baseball game in a very long time tonight. Hopefully Schwarbs is still in left since thats where I am sitting :)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1394476767507853319

Yes I know he's had a whopping 56 PA's this season, but Nico is quietly playing GG defense at 2B while also posting a 131 wRC+ and more walks than strikeouts. Meanwhile David Bote, who according to Ross "unanimously" won the 2B job in spring, is slashing .182/.254/.282. :lol:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also #CubTogether? Really? How do you come up with a motto so bad it actually makes me pine for the days of #ThatsCub?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

bewbies posted:

WAR in general isn't super kind to pitchers who aren't over the top elite, and it also hurts value when you're not at least an average glove at a value position or a plus glove elsewhere.

what I'm saying is maybe ohtani should play shortstop or catcher

What do you mean not kind? Players who don’t field well or that are at replaceable positions aren’t as valuable as better players at less replaceable positions?

That’s how it works, yes

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
thats a solid post/av combo

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
WAR doesn't take into account that Ohtani is only taking up 1 roster spot for both a pitcher and position player correct?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Popete posted:

WAR doesn't take into account that Ohtani is only taking up 1 roster spot for both a pitcher and position player correct?

Pitchers *are* a position player, the position is even '1' in the usual scheme for fielding notation!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Popete posted:

Yeah, totally.
I do absolutely love that he is playing so well that we get a "breaking WAR" convo. Ahhhh he's so fun.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

they should let Ohtani play LF instead of DH so his WAR is better imo

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

bawfuls posted:

they should let Ohtani play for a different team so his WAR matters imo

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

bawfuls posted:

they should let Ohtani play LF instead of DH so his WAR is better imo

I totally forgot he doesn't play the field really at all. I'm dumb. He does lose a lot of value that way unfortunately :(

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Pitchers *are* a position player

not according to my high school coach. and teammates

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/1394701000875839489

Oh good

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

is fWar for pitchers still a pile of poop?

For what its worth, bWar has Ohtani at 4th behind Buxton, Kiner-Falefa and John Means, so uhhhh

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 18, 2021

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The two way player rule is stupid

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Pitcher fWAR is based almost entirely on FIP, bWAR almost entirely on RA/9. Both are imperfect (and FIP for that matter is also imperfect as an expected stat) but both are also useful. I generally prefer bWAR for pitchers though since WAR is a stat trying to quantify tangible value to a team, which bWAR mostly does even if it blames a pitcher for bad luck and bad defense around them. fWAR meanwhile tells you how valuable a particular stat says a player should have been, but that's not actually realized value.

To put it another way, say you have two pitchers: Pitcher A has a 2.00 ERA and a 4.00 FIP, Pitcher B has a 4.00 ERA and a 2.00 FIP. Looking backwards you'd rather have had Pitcher A on your team (bWAR), but looking forwards you'd probably rather sign Pitcher B for next season (fWAR).

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
^^^ hell ya this is v good

Fip is also not normalized for park so two pitchers can have the same fip but different fWAR based on the parks they pitch in

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Ohtani's batting numbers are Joe Carter-esque, for sure but man those dingers sure are pretty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Sydin posted:

Pitcher fWAR is based almost entirely on FIP, bWAR almost entirely on RA/9. Both are imperfect (and FIP for that matter is also imperfect as an expected stat) but both are also useful. I generally prefer bWAR for pitchers though since WAR is a stat trying to quantify tangible value to a team, which bWAR mostly does even if it blames a pitcher for bad luck and bad defense around them. fWAR meanwhile tells you how valuable a particular stat says a player should have been, but that's not actually realized value.

To put it another way, say you have two pitchers: Pitcher A has a 2.00 ERA and a 4.00 FIP, Pitcher B has a 4.00 ERA and a 2.00 FIP. Looking backwards you'd rather have had Pitcher A on your team (bWAR), but looking forwards you'd probably rather sign Pitcher B for next season (fWAR).

Ya I hadn't checked if it was still like this, so fWar is still poop from a butt. Thanks buzz!