Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Shipon posted:

Carbon capture is snake oil. It's not happening. There is no technology coming on the horizon that will actually allow us to compensate for what we're putting out currently let alone what we've already put out, and even planting a shitton of trees won't help if the environment is becoming less and less conducive to trees not burning up every summer

What about those silicate rocks you toss on the seashore that solves things

Also you can just put the mr.burns solar shade over earth to cool things down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

It's hard to create a more cursed grouping of words:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

liberals liberals LIBERALS LIBERALS LIBERALS

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

spacemang_spliff posted:

was Vlierat a D&D mod?

quote:

Post Count
Post Rate
2.13 per day
Last Post
Sep 12, 2012 04:14

Poster to the end...

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

stellers bae posted:

i have a degree in economics, which is to say i'm a bit less smart than the average high schooler. however i would bet that the marginal cost of preventing emissions is much lower than that of carbon capture technology. this is besides the whole 'poo poo into the pool but get a better filter' aspect to it

I don't mean to say that it's the only thing you do and call it a day though. Pools already full of poo poo, get a better filter AND stop making GBS threads in the pool.
We'd need a fuckload (about 30,000) of CCS plants globally to just get to net zero with current emissions, but it would help at least mitigate and hopefully eventually reverse carbon levels. You could even phase out carbon sources with a functional carbon tax that funds its eventual removal, making low/no emission options more economical. We would need to phase something in slowly so the poor don't get hosed over by it, and something a global scale carbon removal project would provide is time.

So, I just don't get why they would take CCS completely off the table, especially if we think we need to take every step possible. Obviously nuclear should be an easy choice, it would reduce emissions drastically and solve the gap that wind and solar have. But, we all know why that might be a hard sell because people are stupid about it. A dollar spent on nuclear would go a lot farther, but with access to the infinite money machine, what does that really matter?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

Carbon capture technology already exists and has been working for millenia. It's called trees.

I specifically mentioned trees, but again the problem is in drought environments as things continue to get worse you're more likely to have massive fires turning those wonderful carbon sinks into carbon sources.

mastershakeman posted:

What about those silicate rocks you toss on the seashore that solves things

Also you can just put the mr.burns solar shade over earth to cool things down

That's a lot of silicate to throw around, how you gonna mine it all and transport it?

Looking forward to when we gently caress up the solar shade and overdo it temperature wise

We're not inventing ourselves out of this - we need to stop producing so much in the first place. But that doesn't make money so instead we're gonna choke on it, or drown in it, or burn in it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nichael posted:

It's hard to create a more cursed grouping of words:

Why are they still wearing a mask

Don't they TRUST THE SCIENCE

They should follow the pronouncements of the apolitical, non-ideological CDC

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

sullat posted:

Poster to the end...

what was his last post?

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
Honestly it's funny that Vilerat died. I'm just a hosed up sicko like that I guess.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Snake Dance posted:

Honestly it's funny that Vilerat died. I'm just a hosed up sicko like that I guess.

wow that is pretty hosed up you should keep it to yourself

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Snake Dance posted:

im sort of in a between place where i dont really find it particularly funny outside of a generalized "oh yeah this guy was a huge rear end in a top hat on a dead gay comedy forum" way, but i also dont get the people who rend their garments and demand his account be enshrined forever lest we forget

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
The fact that an internet politics forum janitor could get killed in an international incident that got a Michael Bay movie made out of it is pretty drat funny.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Is vilerat even in the bay movie

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Yeah he's a dweeb

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Vilerat is the dude in the left

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Mayor Dave posted:

Yeah he's a dweeb

lol what a loser

remember when his mom spoke at the RNC

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
I don't think his character is even named, he's just like Computer Tech 1

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Judakel posted:

what was his last post?

I dunno, I don't have archives

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

was Vlierat a D&D mod?

he still is, lol.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Snake Dance posted:

I admit I chuckled a little when I heard but I also saw him back when I played EVE and he seemed nice then so I felt bad about it

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Jimong5 posted:

I don't mean to say that it's the only thing you do and call it a day though. Pools already full of poo poo, get a better filter AND stop making GBS threads in the pool.
We'd need a fuckload (about 30,000) of CCS plants globally to just get to net zero with current emissions, but it would help at least mitigate and hopefully eventually reverse carbon levels. You could even phase out carbon sources with a functional carbon tax that funds its eventual removal, making low/no emission options more economical. We would need to phase something in slowly so the poor don't get hosed over by it, and something a global scale carbon removal project would provide is time.

So, I just don't get why they would take CCS completely off the table, especially if we think we need to take every step possible. Obviously nuclear should be an easy choice, it would reduce emissions drastically and solve the gap that wind and solar have. But, we all know why that might be a hard sell because people are stupid about it. A dollar spent on nuclear would go a lot farther, but with access to the infinite money machine, what does that really matter?

"infinite money" does not equal infinite resources

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Most disappointingly, it doesn't feature viletat

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lol after so many articles about how he was spiraling

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1394848643069394948?s=21

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Lol

Now the real question is, was there a scene of him clicking on a link to goatse?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The “Nader lost Gore the election/Nader was a plant” stuff was just a gen x version of “the DNC is an all powerful shadowy organization who is responsible for Bernie losing twice and for Swearengin losing in a landslide -40”. People always come up with excuses and delusions when they lose. Happens on all sides.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You don't have to make excuses up for Bernie.

There's plenty of recorded evidence of Bernie getting screwed.

Bernie also openly showed how much of a spineless coward he is.

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

Some Guy TT posted:

The “Nader lost Gore the election/Nader was a plant” stuff was just a gen x version of “the DNC is an all powerful shadowy organization who is responsible for Bernie losing twice and for Swearengin losing in a landslide -40”. People always come up with excuses and delusions when they lose. Happens on all sides.

taking odds on this person believing in russiagate

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah none of the DNC stuff was particularly subtle and he just rolled right over both times. In retrospect it's clear bernie didn't want to win, or didn't want to do what it took to win, which is effectively the same thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bootleg Trunks posted:

he is

here's a clip: https://streamable.com/8eo7ky

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

lol supercharging wifi? still laffo to me that jim from the office has starred in multiple movies like this, but i think its cuz some of his family actually works in intelligence lmao

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

is the viletat in the movie though, that's what's really important

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

He knew he was getting ratfucked by the media and by people in his own campaign and still he gave in. Shows you that he just didn't have it and even if he had somehow won would have not been able to do anything close to what he ran on. Sad!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fits my needs posted:

lol supercharging wifi? still laffo to me that jim from the office has starred in multiple movies like this, but i think its cuz some of his family actually works in intelligence lmao

he's literally a CIA agent

quote:

It's pretty much an open secret that Krasinski has been working with the CIA, most recently outed when Josh Olson, who wrote A History of Violence, mentioned on a podcast he does with Dave Anthony that he had a meeting with the CIA (because, honestly, even if you disagree with everything about the CIA, you kinda have to take that meeting just to see what it's like to meet a spook whose job it is to lasso in Hollywood for propaganda), and partway through the meeting, said spook tells him that they already have an actor on board for the stuff they've been discussing. Olson never mentions the guy's name, but Dave brings up the Jack Ryan show a few minutes later and Olson is like "oh, how'd you know?"

I mean it should have been a given once he did two CIA-boosting things back to back between 13 Hours and Jack Ryan, but I guess since both shows sank into the muck of "who cares" like every other piece of pop culture does these days, nobody really noticed

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

spacemang_spliff posted:

was Vlierat a D&D mod?

Laterite has issued a correction as of 06:57 on May 19, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

That guy looks like Hughsie

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

he's literally a CIA agent

haha that owns what next, something in iran?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

witchy posted:

taking odds on this person believing in russiagate

the dogged determination liberals have had since last november that there have never been corrupt elections in this countrys history and that only a whackjob conspiracy theorist would ever suggest otherwise could almost be cute if not for this obvious blindspot

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattbc/status/1394879951606796291

is this person trying to shame me for being mentally healthy

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattbc/status/1394879951606796291

is this person trying to shame me for being mentally healthy

no one would shame you for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

no one would shame you for that

aw what a sweet thing to- hey!!!