Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GreenNight posted:

All of crypto is crashing.

Good. I hope it does and brings all the cryptobros with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

bus hustler posted:

im a loving moron with like no real demonstrable tech skills and i do fine. i'm just good with people and a good communicator, but i don't actually know anything.

i've said this before but i hope all of you nerds are millionaires because i don't know half of this poo poo and i do pretty ok!! i've never done anything in the cloud and my last role was so siloed and huge that i got no hands on experience with poo poo.

One of my good friends basically failed upwards into a 6 figure IT job. He's all soft skills and knows how to get work done without actually doing any work himself. He has very minimal experience with what his actual job is and he's terrified that they are going to figure out that it's all a lie. And this isn't imposter syndrome. He literally doesn't know anything except how to creatively move work around.

I'm super proud of him.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1079863420458074112

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

deedee megadoodoo posted:

One of my good friends basically failed upwards into a 6 figure IT job. He's all soft skills and knows how to get work done without actually doing any work himself. He has very minimal experience with what his actual job is and he's terrified that they are going to figure out that it's all a lie. And this isn't imposter syndrome. He literally doesn't know anything except how to creatively move work around.

I'm super proud of him.

That kinda sounds like the manager of the place I’m contracted out with right now, he understands things from a high level and has kept this department running pretty well but I’ve realized he has almost no technical skills or hands on ability.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Cao Ni Ma posted:

We are in week like 9 of a planned migration to another domain. Everyone is dragging their feet making everything harder than it should and I'm seriously starting to get pissed off. I think we have the right staff to do it, but our leadership just up and leaving right before it started kneecapped us.

I've done 6 or 7 good sized domain migrations in my career and the biggest difference in the success of each one has been upper management buy in. Our best one was where senior leadership straight up told everyone "this is getting done, no excuses" The worst is when business units push back constantly because it'll make their life difficult and management lets them. Then I ended up supporting legacy domains that 20 people were using for a decade. I literally had to wait for a product line to die before I decommissioned one a couple years ago.

At my last job we were onboarding people in certain areas of the business with 4 separate AD accounts to access the resources they needed, all because the engineers couldn't be bothered to migrate their stuff.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'm super proud of him.

One of my coworkers (before he got fired) was basically this. He was just one step bellow being a supervisor and a 6 figure job and knew jack poo poo about IT. He just sat on his computer doing absolutely nothing and only got fired because he failed the sec plus exam like 5 times.

skipdogg posted:

I've done 6 or 7 good sized domain migrations in my career and the biggest difference in the success of each one has been upper management buy in. Our best one was where senior leadership straight up told everyone "this is getting done, no excuses" The worst is when business units push back constantly because it'll make their life difficult and management lets them. Then I ended up supporting legacy domains that 20 people were using for a decade. I literally had to wait for a product line to die before I decommissioned one a couple years ago.

At my last job we were onboarding people in certain areas of the business with 4 separate AD accounts to access the resources they needed, all because the engineers couldn't be bothered to migrate their stuff.

Yeah it feels like the latter right now. There is no excuse but our supervisors are getting rolled over by other departments directors and since we don’t have a director of our own putting hard deadlines everything just keeps being put off.

We could have been done last month with just like 60 machines in the old domain waiting for a new sql server to be approved and stood up, instead over half our machines haven’t been migrated yet.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm super proud of him.

I am more than happy to work with these sorts of people.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I'm super proud of him.

Why are you doxxing me like this

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Me: "Hello Google, we have an annual billing subscription to G Suite, can we upgrade to Google Workspace before the anniversary date?"
Google: "Your anniversary date is [x]"
Me: "Thanks, but I know that already. I'm asking if we can move to Google Workspace before that date, there are some features that people want to use."
Google: "As stated, your anniversary date is [x] and you can change your billing frequency once the current subscription has expired"

:fuckoff:

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

I am more than happy to work with these sorts of people.

That man needs to be slotted into a PM role. If he can move work around that well while maintaining relationships....

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

i have the magic skill of only needing to be shown stuff once though like i'm excellent at "work," and constantly a top performer who doesn't need any management. but i dont have any skills. i dont know what the gently caress ya'll talking about regarding cloud containers. i'm not sure i even know what docker is and i'm too afraid to ask.

but man i'm loving this current role by about 12:30pm/1pm it switches into "podcast and projects" with the occasional local interruption - as the rest of the company is in europe :D

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

bus hustler posted:

but man i'm loving this current role by about 12:30pm/1pm it switches into "podcast and projects" with the occasional local interruption - as the rest of the company is in europe :D

My headquarters is +3 hours ahead of me and being done for the day at 2pm is the best thing ever

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I don't report to anyone on this continent directly, not to say that part of my role isn't being here for the VIPs or picking up any global tickets that come in "after hours," but still that stuff is overall a joke.

There's a mall nearby and we're located right on the river so sometimes I just go walk around for a bit. I have my work phone, I'm like 3-4 minutes away.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sounds like I better get on changing my avatar to some mix of the BANNED avatar, but with IE and DEPRECATED on it.

Internet Explorer will no longer be supported in June 2022

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 19, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sorry man, come that date none of us can support you anymore.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Even the name is archaic, exploring the internet was from an era where search engines were unoptimized, web rings ruled, and instead of trying to silo you onto only their website it was hyperlinks to new sites

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Look, you don't have to make it personal. :arghfist:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Look, you don't have to make it personal. :arghfist:

He can't, it's not like there's any account sync.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Oh man. Healthcare people. Our healthcare people are subcontracted to another company. I generally have very little dealing with them as they look after their own systems. A fibre they use failed, infrastructure is our issue. We provided an alternative cable within about an hour of finding out about it, then their IT people took forever to decide they were coming to site to reconfigure the switches to make it work.

Some of the emails were a bit spicy - I'm am guessing I would not have got away with 'I have been made aware this has been a problem for 4 days but has only just been reported today, I am not convinced this is as urgent as your email suggests please can we stop with the inflammatory language' :D

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

LochNessMonster posted:

Great place to burn bridges with.

If you don’t care you can quit without notice and tell the director there shouldn’t be any issues since the new guy is outperforming you already.

Or stop putting in any effort and collect 2 paychecks until they fire you.

I am at minimum effort gently caress it territory at this point. I did figure out why all of our APs are poo poo at finding the WLC controller. TURNS OUT IT WAS DNS. it was pointing the APs to the old controller we retired 4 years ago, and network admin before me got around this by consoling into every new AP and manually seting the capwap ip.

wargames fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 20, 2021

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Anyone using the Windows 10 Always On VPN setup at their work?

Seems pretty slick, just trying to figure out if I want to setup the extra infra or go with the setup using the Azure VPN gateway.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Doing a terraform demo for a bunch of app developers that are being on boarded to terraform enterprise first thing in the morning.

Anxiety through the roof.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I don't want to be the infosec that tells you no, just because. I am tired of having to be so heavy handed with poo poo, but loving users do it to themselves.

Oh, you decided to sign your department up for MIRO today and put sensitive information in it? Awesome. Why are you coming to me now complaining the site is blocked? You want transparency and collaboration now? Well how about you do that before you decide what platform your department needs or uses on your own?

I am riding the short term wave of leadership seeing public security breeches and now pretending they care about them. I am probably making enemies. What I actually care about though is how much effort I am investing my team to watching for shadow IT bullshit to enforce compliance.

gently caress.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

I don't want to be the infosec that tells you no, just because. I am tired of having to be so heavy handed with poo poo, but loving users do it to themselves.

Oh, you decided to sign your department up for MIRO today and put sensitive information in it? Awesome. Why are you coming to me now complaining the site is blocked? You want transparency and collaboration now? Well how about you do that before you decide what platform your department needs or uses on your own?

I am riding the short term wave of leadership seeing public security breeches and now pretending they care about them. I am probably making enemies. What I actually care about though is how much effort I am investing my team to watching for shadow IT bullshit to enforce compliance.

gently caress.

I would be careful and heavy handed, because if you get breached you'll never work in infosec again*

*according to an oped by a professor of computer janitory at some college.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Dang that person I posted about a few pages ago who isn't pulling their weight still isn't doing any better even after having an honest discussion about their performance. I now have other people on the team complaining to me privately that they are hard to work with because all they do is identify work needs to be done, create a ticket, and don't even look at it again. Even self-priotized "high" tickets are ignored. One person said they spend more time posting they're going to walk the dog then doing work.

E: discussed with my boss who wasn't surprised at all so I guess I got the ball rolling on "next steps"

Sepist fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 20, 2021

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
(long story short; I got a new job at a bigger company and am discovering a lot of "we grew organically from a small company to a big one and here is all of the corners we cut along the way)

So my company is starting to think about making the transition back to the office and they sent out an email blast to the effect of "hey, we all left in kind of a hurry so mark down what office equipment you took home in this spreadsheet." And it was then that it dawned on me that the reason why none of the gear they sent me when I got hired has any asset labels is not because it was a pandemic where they couldn't get into the office, but because they don't put asset labels on anything. Which means this email is their attempt at inventory control.

Being the type of person who sees a problem and tries to fix it, I called the IT Manager explained what I was seeing and then offered to spin up an inventory management solution at no cost in an attempt to head this inevitable trainwreck off at the pass.

He said no.

Given what I have seen so far in this place, I am both shocked and not at all surprised.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MustardFacial posted:

Being the type of person who sees a problem and tries to fix it, I called the IT Manager explained what I was seeing and then offered to spin up an inventory management solution at no cost in an attempt to head this inevitable trainwreck off at the pass.

I'm sure this is super jaded me talking, but after 18 years of corporate BS, in my experience don't ever volunteer to make something better. Just shake your head and move along. No good ever comes from volunteering for something like that.

There's lots of reasons why he may have told you no. Honestly you dodged a bullet, just forget about it and move on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Translated: everyone is using company money for personal upgrades and no one wants to get caught or end the freebies.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

To be fair, having inventory management straightened out is a lot more complex than standing up a tool. If I didn't have inventory management and someone called me up out of the blue and offered to set up a free tool, I'd probably say no, too.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

MustardFacial posted:

He said no.

Given what I have seen so far in this place, I am both shocked and not at all surprised.

You should buy the IT manager a giftbasket. He stopped you from making the biggest mistake of your life.

The problem with standing up an inventory control system, and I learned this the hardway, is you also have to proof of concept the system after you do it and make policy for it, then you have to get everything into the system, and guess who will be stuck with over glorified data entry until they get transferred or quit? You.

I've been doing inventory control for the last two years, and it's the one thing that always makes sure that my resume is upto date and that I keep throwing it to recruiters is that one day I may just have enough of it and leave.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 20, 2021

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

skipdogg posted:

I'm sure this is super jaded me talking, but after 18 years of corporate BS, in my experience don't ever volunteer to make something better. Just shake your head and move along. No good ever comes from volunteering for something like that.

There's lots of reasons why he may have told you no. Honestly you dodged a bullet, just forget about it and move on.

To be fair, having inventory management straightened out is a lot more complex than standing up a tool. If I didn't have inventory management and someone called me up out of the blue and offered to set up a free tool, I'd probably say no, too.

Defenestrategy posted:

You should buy the IT manager a giftbasket. He stopped you from making the biggest mistake of your life.

That is too many people saying the same thing to ignore. Thanks for the advice, I will let it go.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The above answers are all correct.

Never ever volunteer to do an inventory management system. Beyond the business process issues, it’s also incredibly boring work, like just profoundly intellectually unstimulating.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

This is why you post before you call your boss to offer to help.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

My thought is next job I'm at that wants an inventory control system is to figure a way, by hook or crook to pawn it off on finance.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I get where you guys are all coming from and you're all correct, I haven't been in this industry very long and I guess one of the disadvantages of being "young, dumb, and full of cum" is not knowing when to walk away from a clearly broken process because the solution would be worse.

jaegerx posted:

This is why you post before you call your boss to offer to help.

Ok here's one from a month ago when I was just starting at this place.

My predecessor and I met at the office so he could show me around sort out my keyfob etc.So we go in and he starts giving me a tour around the office. Then he opens the server room door and went "oh what's all of these beeping noises?"
Me: "this drive has failed. what is this server for?"
Him: "hmm, I don't remember anymore. It's been there for years so I sort of ignored it."

So then this guy took the failing drive out, looked at it, went "oh this is an expensive one. And put it back in the server and rebooted the whole loving thing going "maybe it'll stop beeping now"

What would you do?

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 21, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

MustardFacial posted:

I get where you guys are all coming from and you're all correct, I haven't been in this industry very long and I guess one of the disadvantages of being "young, dumb, and full of cum" is not knowing when to walk away from a clearly broken process because the solution would be worse.

Honestly inventory control is a part of good IT governance. The problem is that maintaining a functional inventory system requires dudes to constantly do data entry, which is something the people in charge usually wont pay for.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Defenestrategy posted:

Honestly inventory control is a part of good IT governance. The problem is that maintaining a functional inventory system requires dudes to constantly do data entry, which is something the people in charge usually wont pay for.

why not just throw everything into MDM and have them all self report their status and last logged in user

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Sounds like I better get on changing my avatar to some mix of the BANNED avatar, but with IE and DEPRECATED on it.

Internet Explorer will no longer be supported in June 2022

But my custom internal website that only works with IE 6 and one specific version of Java 5 will still work fine, right? Right??????????????

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

And I'm the guy whose been putting asset tags on all our desktops and laptops for 18 years. Inventory control is a mix of PDQ Inventory and a spreadsheet. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

MustardFacial posted:

Ok here's one from a month ago when I was just starting at this place.

My predecessor and I met at the office so he could show me around sort out my keyfob etc.So we go in and he starts giving me a tour around the office. Then he opens the server room door and went "oh what's all of these beeping noises?"
Me: "this drive has failed. what is this server for?"
Him: "hmm, I don't remember anymore. It's been there for years so I sort of ignored it."

So then this guy took the failing drive out, looked at it, went "oh this is an expensive one. And put it back in the server and rebooted the whole loving thing going "maybe it'll stop beeping now"

What would you do?

It’s cool fam we’ve all made the same mistake once.

With regards to your second example, that’s pretty yikes. I’d probably figure out what the server is doing though.