Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

That's only part of it.

Plus they got them jetpacks now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
They have special padding on their soles that give them great traction on the astral plane.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
They moved on to astral spaceship now

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I thought they only travelled faster because their feet are so much bigger.

it's bigfoot

only one is bigger

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

You're gonna get a big foot up your astral plane if you keep going like this, smart rear end

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PoPcornTG posted:

Have they come for our hot moms?

I'll always cum for hot moms.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Hot bigfoot moms, crossing the multi-verse.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

What about the navy story connects to aliens? Is it just that the scraps of data we have don't add up to a conclusive explanation? Is the implicit assumption that all science on earth is known, all natural phenomena and human inventions are solved and understood and no mystery remains? Thus the most likely explanation is that whatever was observed must originate from another world?

Seems like a wild and arbitrary guess. Natural events that were unexplainable at the time have been attributed to the supernatural for all of human history.

Now, hot bigfoot moms... that one I can understand. I want it to be true.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Bad Purchase posted:

What about the navy story connects to aliens? Is it just that the scraps of data we have don't add up to a conclusive explanation? Is the implicit assumption that all science on earth is known, all natural phenomena and human inventions are solved and understood and no mystery remains? Thus the most likely explanation is that whatever was observed must originate from another world?

Seems like a wild and arbitrary guess. Natural events that were unexplainable at the time have been attributed to the supernatural for all of human history.

The speeds and g-forces involved(if the radar tracks and eyewitnesses are accurate) on vehicles with no apparent wings, rotors or thrusters are seemingly way beyond anything we have in terms of propulsion, energy or material science.

And there's nothing supernatural about aliens. If pressed virtually everyone agrees that given the size and age of the galaxy there are almost certainly other life supporting planets around. The question is just whether they've managed to get here or not.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 20, 2021

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I think it's important to accept that these phenomena exist. We can have threads full of nervous joking or thunderfoot type debunking but I think it's a critical thing to start investigating with some actual seriousness. We've been seeing them for decades if not centuries, multiple militaries have vouched to seeing them in various ways and it's the type of thing where reports of the objects are fairly consistent across cultures. Also, most governmental organizations don't claim that released videos of leprechauns, demons, sasquatch and ghosts are real.

That's not to say that they're aliens or whatever but if these things are real and have the characteristics as described, aliens are not a bad guess of what they could be. From our sample size of 1 we know that there is life in the universe, making any kind of guess as to the frequency of life outside of that is almost meaningless since our data is so incomplete. That said, I'm looking forward to the report that's coming out (if it ever does) and if it says that every sighting is a balloon or the ravings of an insane pilot high on benzos, I'll accept it.

Fran of Fran Labs explained it better than I could have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6tDHZj5q5Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTermh1w_0A (part 2 as a reaction to commenters)

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Can I buy a book from The Neckless Man?

TV-appearance from The Reluctant Lady?

Podcast interview from The Fighter Ace?

Conspiracy theory from The Fed with Nazi Eyeglasses?

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The speeds and g-forces involved(if the radar tracks and eyewitnesses are accurate) on vehicles with no apparent wings, rotors or thrusters are seemingly way beyond anything we have in terms of propulsion, energy or material science.

And there's nothing supernatural about aliens. If pressed virtually everyone agrees that given the size and age of the galaxy there are almost certainly other life supporting planets around. The question is just whether they've managed to get here or not.

Little people in saucer-shaped space airplanes actively visiting us is very much supernatural. It's based on nothing except faith and fantasy.

The jump between "somewhere out there, in the near-infinite vastness of space, over the vast age of the universe, there is (or was) some other form of life that developed technology and science" and "the galaxy is full of slightly skinnier or scalier humans and they are coming here!" isn't rational or scientific. There's no different between that answer and 'angels', 'demons', 'time travelers', or 'elves'. How do you know Angels aren't real (and just a non-carbon form of life/sentient energy beings)?

It's the same exact jump people made between 'Lightning exists!' and 'Lightning is made by this big sky-man named Zeus!'

Blurry Gray Thing fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 20, 2021

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Ratios and Tendency posted:

what makes you think it was a vehicle and where were the g-forces measured, or are you just extrapolating from how fast people observing something they didn't understand think it accelerated? where is the continuous radar imagery? were they measuring speeds based on observed frequency shift? if so, release the radar image for analysis. or do they (somehow?) have a radar system that locks objects frame to frame even when they move at seemingly physics defying speeds or teleport around? what is ruling out a natural physical occurrence, or rather, why do you think aliens is a more reasonable explanation than some other unknown source?

aliens are maybe not supernatural by the literal definition, but they are in every sense an unexplainable, unknowable quantity that people attribute things to the same way they would a god or ghosts.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 20, 2021

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
i know, op. I got some chilling at my house

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

pentagon report just leaked:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The pentagon report is gonna reveal that the squatch are in cahoots with the aliens.

... And that they've got Drew.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

"Aliens" gets thrown around because witnesses fairly frequently report that the UAPs react to them in a way that suggests intelligence. I'm more than a little skeptical of that part, but it comes up enough to be worth including in the discussion.

Aliens aren't nearly as impossible as people like to pretend, either. Sure, there's no way we know of that FTL is possible, and travel time makes it unlikely that any alien is here in person - but the galaxy has been around a long time. If an alien race seeded replicating autonomous probes long enough ago, they could have spread out over the entire galaxy by now. I don't necessarily think that's the solution, and there's still a lot of questions about how it would be done to be answered in that hypothetical, but it's not firmly impossible the way that, say, little green men flying over with their warp drive is with our current understanding of physics.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Bad Purchase posted:

what makes you think it was a vehicle

Multiple pilots describe seeing a solid object flying around after being directed to it by radar. It was later filmed in IR.

quote:

and where were the g-forces measured, or are you just extrapolating from how fast people observing something they didn't understand think it accelerated?

It's just a rough estimate based on the size given by eyewitnesses and distance covered on radar. It only has to exceed ~9 g's to be highly weird so accuracy doesn't particularly matter.

quote:

where is the continuous radar imagery? were they measuring speeds based on observed frequency shift? if so, release the radar image for analysis. or do they (somehow?) have a radar system that locks objects frame to frame even when they move at seemingly physics defying speeds or teleport around?

The US navy haven't released the raw radar data, we're going off testimony from radar operators. The carrier group was trialing a state of the art radar suite that combined everyone's radar in real time, so a bunch of different people saw the readings over a period of weeks.

quote:

what is ruling out a natural physical occurrence, or rather, why do you think aliens is a more reasonable explanation than some other unknown source?

The facts as we understand them are highly suggestive, but obviously I don't 100% know what happened. It's worthy of further investigation surely, and there's no scientific principle I'm aware of that forbids aliens from having sent probes to Earth. We're in the early stages of sending craft out of our solar-system ourselves. If you have a contender for a natural physical occurrence that explains the Nimitz encounter then go for it.

quote:

aliens are maybe not supernatural by the literal definition, but they are in every sense an unexplainable, unknowable quantity that people attribute things to the same way they would a god or ghosts.

Not if we study them. We've already got SETI and the James Webb Telescope is going to be looking at extra-solar atmospheres. The US military is seeing objects, if it's aliens it would be the most important scientific discovery ever, easily. So it doesn't seem unreasonable to check does it?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Machine elves, son

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Anyways my uncle works at an alien factory and he brought me a real alien last year

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it's not unreasonable to study an unfamiliar phenomenon, but it is unreasonable to jump to the conclusion that something we can't explain is aliens just because we think we saw an object move faster than we can explain. but i can see that you are a True Believer, and i don't expect anything is going to change your mind since you already know the answer.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Launching another euphoric logical attack against defenceless people of Alpha Centauri, this guy

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

All of these videos have been debunked. Here is an explanation by Mick West of all three navy videos plus two more prior ones. The “green pyramid” video debunk was posted earlier as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwa-yYCEGEc

Other stories of pilots seeing these everyday for years is them just seeing completely normal planes flying around many miles away. The pilots aren’t lying, they just don’t understand what is on their displays.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Mick West should be taken with a grain of salt because he is kind of a pathological debunker at the opposite end of how a lot of people believe that everything unexplained was absolutely aliens.
He is the one person who I imagine after having aliens show up to his house and slap their three testicles across his face would still claim it was a weather balloon or ball lightning.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I've been through all his debunk attempts and the only one worth a drat is his showing that the apparent speed of gofast is due to parallax, which doesn't say anything about what the object is still.

He's not being truly skeptical, he just starts from assuming they're mundane and works backwards, which is usually claiming that everything's a bird or balloon and that US navy commanders can't read their instruments or are lying. Which..OK random guy from England.

He was also terrified of being abducted by aliens as a child lol

e/ As an example, last I saw he was claiming the object captured in FLIR was another jet from the carrier group. 1 - this ignores all the surrounding context and eye-witness testimony and 2 - this would have been immediately obvious to everyone thanks to the integrated radar suite, so he's wrong.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 20, 2021

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
How implausible is a Russian or Chinese scientist stumbling onto some new principle that allows the technology to do this sort of thing? Technology isn't a linear progression and I don't think you can just say they're worse at building jets so they couldn't have been the place some new Einstein figured out the physics that allow for some game changer. Plus it feels like either of those countries is easier able to keep something like that under wraps.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Weka posted:

How implausible is a Russian or Chinese scientist stumbling onto some new principle that allows the technology to do this sort of thing? Technology isn't a linear progression and I don't think you can just say they're worse at building jets so they couldn't have been the place some new Einstein figured out the physics that allow for some game changer. Plus it feels like either of those countries is easier able to keep something like that under wraps.

Plausible I suppose, but to me if you put "country secretly develops physics-breaking hyperspace/portals/teleportation" and "it's aliens" on the table next to each other, aliens start to seem like the Occam's Razor choice lol

Now if something capable of this stuff was :tinfoil: recovered by one of these governments and they're out there loving with the technology or trying to duplicate it, that would be a different scenario

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Weka posted:

It's not implausible someone could find a discovery that jumps tech forward but it gets much less plausible when you pair that with the discovery being expanded on and used to the point a working prototype is built and that this all remains completely secret without intelligence agencies even getting 'china has some new tech breakthrough' rumours. It's not so much one technological breakthrough, it would require a series of breakthroughs in different fields and manufacturing experience that would require a lot of people to be in on it, in a globalised age with instant communication. Not impossible but still extremely unlikely.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Obama was on a late show last night and stated seriously that there are things in our skies that we do not know what they are.
As in, on the record, we just don't know.
Doesn't add much, but interesting that he's weighing in now too I guess.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Algol Star posted:

It's not implausible someone could find a discovery that jumps tech forward but it gets much less plausible when you pair that with the discovery being expanded on and used to the point a working prototype is built and that this all remains completely secret without intelligence agencies even getting 'china has some new tech breakthrough' rumours. It's not so much one technological breakthrough, it would require a series of breakthroughs in different fields and manufacturing experience that would require a lot of people to be in on it, in a globalised age with instant communication. Not impossible but still extremely unlikely.

Also, still secret many years later.

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 20, 2021

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
q is not e

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Xaintrailles posted:

Also, still secret 12 years later.

Eh, out of ALL that, that's the least difficult to believe.
Hell we've kept our OWN poo poo secret from our own people longer than that

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

What do you guys think this video is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5wJYz8vlvc (first video in the set)

Took time to find a video that wasn't clipped all to hell or overlaid with lovely music. To me it looks like a rocket burning up but I've never seen a smoke trail rotate in reference to the horizon like that. Could it be just a perspective effect of something quite close and then as they fly the trail appears to rotate? I know it's not alien or anything but anyone have any good guesses?

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
The thing about Mick West is that he wasn't loving there he's not a loving fighter pilot. Identifying what the gently caress is in the air is kind of the job they're supposed to do. If they're confused it's probably unknown.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

old beast lunatic posted:

The thing about Mick West is that he wasn't loving there he's not a loving fighter pilot. Identifying what the gently caress is in the air is kind of the job they're supposed to do. If they're confused it's probably unknown.

This! I think it's pretty lazy when people claim that seasoned pilots and radar operators in both commercial and military aviation for the past 60+ years just 'don't know how to read their instruments and identify birds and other aircraft'

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Tarkus posted:

This! I think it's pretty lazy when people claim that seasoned pilots and radar operators in both commercial and military aviation for the past 60+ years just 'don't know how to read their instruments and identify birds and other aircraft'

That turned out to be the case for most incidents investigated by project bluebook when it was directed by Edward Ruppelt and they were being honest and serious about the work.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Tarkus posted:

Counterpoint: I have coworkers with engineering and science backgrounds who have been at their jobs for 30 years and are grossly incompetent and fail at understanding the basic principles of their field all the time. (It's maddening and terrifying when you consider how many products they must've touched over their careers.)

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Mulaney Power Move posted:

That turned out to be the case for most incidents investigated by project bluebook when it was directed by Edward Ruppelt and they were being honest and serious about the work.

Yes, many of them were but Ruppelt specifically didn't lead with the assumption that the pilots and support staff were bordering on incompetent. Guys like thunderfoot and Mick West do.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I don't wanna poo poo on Mick West too hard because I think his analysis of what we could be seeing is valuable. Like, with the tirangle night vision video Corbell just released of what were reported as "flying pyramids" Maybe even if there were flying pyramids someone hosed up and didn't focus or something? At some point though all the corroborating testimony means there are probably unknown objects that do weird poo poo, unless everyone is lying.

The pilots and radar guy and random nimitz crew members I've seen interviewed don't seem full of poo poo to me, but who knows.

old beast lunatic fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Tarkus posted:

Yes, many of them were but Ruppelt specifically didn't lead with the assumption that the pilots and support staff were bordering on incompetent. Guys like thunderfoot and Mick West do.

It's worth noting that the videos being released have already been through an internal vetting process similar to bluebook. We're not seeing the ones where they go "Yeah that was another plane you dipshit" we're seeing the ones left over afterward, where the post review also doesn't know what it is. This review process, according to the various interviews, includes specialists in the equipment used.