Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shinjobi posted:

All pitchers (except the one I like) suck rear end and ruin the sport

:wink:

As a twins fan, even the one I like sucks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Okay fine I should have clarified - doubles and home runs were higher in 2019. Triples are such an anomaly it's impossible to properly compare them historically.

Evan Gattis had 12 triples in his career. He had 11 of them in 2015 alone.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Kirios posted:

Okay fine I should have clarified - doubles and home runs were higher in 2019. Triples are such an anomaly it's impossible to properly compare them historically.

Evan Gattis had 12 triples in his career. He had 11 of them in 2015 alone.

I think you can look at the numbers and say that there is definitely a percentage of triples that used to be hit that got converted to dingers from the steroid era moving forward, but past that yeah, kind of an outlier outcome anyway.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Shrink the zone, do something with the ball to deaden sPiN rAtE so not every pitcher can throw video game sliders constantly. You’re not turning the clock back on analytics and sports science.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
waterboard Tyler Bauer to learn his secrets and then enforce the existing ban on them all

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

The injury wheel keeps spinning. Logan Webb (shoulder strain) and Wilmer Flores (hamstring) to the IL; RP Jose Alvarez activated from the IL.

Giants will have to call up a SP for the Dodgers series. Not sure who it'll be.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

The Pussy Boss posted:

The injury wheel keeps spinning. Logan Webb (shoulder strain) and Wilmer Flores (hamstring) to the IL; RP Jose Alvarez activated from the IL.

Giants will have to call up a SP for the Dodgers series. Not sure who it'll be.

Sucks to hear that about Webb, he was just starting to come together.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

waterboard Tyler Bauer to learn his secrets and then enforce the existing ban on them all

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Poque posted:

waterboard Trevor Bauer

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Meanwhile in #ThatsCub:

https://twitter.com/MLBastian/status/1395429158268854274?s=20

:ughh:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MLB N/V May: Everyone Is Now On The DL

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Technically nobody is on the DL

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ambassador of Funk posted:

You have to change pitchers before you can good back to good old days of hitting Ted Williams hitting.
this is funny because Ted Williams approach was to hit the crap out of the ball

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It is a competitive advantage not to sign a bunch of morons.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kirios posted:

This whiplash towards pitchers now being too dominant is really bizarre to me. It feels like in 2019 we were complaining about hitters having too much of an advantage and hitting XBH / HR being way too easy.

Maybe the ball has been overly doctored to favor pitchers now? Surely there's a middle ground here.
the juiced ball from 2015-19 was masking the broader trend in pitching dominance (as seen by increasing strikeout rates)

Now the ball isn't as juiced and we see how imbalanced things really have gotten.

The problem is that juicing the ball isn't a sufficient solution to the pitching dominance, because it just leads to TTO baseball that's aesthetically undesirable.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:shepicide:

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Truly he was ahead of his time.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Shrinking the zone is good, lowering the mound could be good as well. I worry moving the mound back will just incentivize the next pitching science revolution to be guys who take huge strides off the mound and/or get huge arm extension so that they release the ball as close to the plate as possible. Both things that increase the risk of pitcher injury and reduce career longevity even more than modern power pitching already does.
Large strides and arm extension are advantageous regardless of the mound distances (and arguably are MORE advantageous the closer the mound is, because the same distance of improvement is a larger proportion of the total distance to the plate). We should presume that pitchers and teams are already training for this and moving the mound back wouldn't change it much. It shouldn't stop the league from considering moving the mound back.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

bawfuls posted:

Yeah, the Ted Williams approach was to swing for a higher launch angle and try to create fly balls. The problem is he was a terrible hitting coach because he tried teaching everyone that approach, and it just didn't work for some of them.

I've read that the Army tested the reflexes of everyone who enlisted in World War II, and Williams was the fastest. I don't have a way to verify that, but it checks out with his dominance.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

didn't Ted Williams try to teach hitters how to recognize pitches by identifying which way the laces were spinning when most guys couldn't even see the laces or is that an urban legend

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

You started hearing about "launch angle" and "exit velocity" in 2017 because that's when the Statcast data became public ally available. But "elevate the ball to hit line drives, which are much more likely to go for base hits, and hit the ball hard" has been the common sense approach since at least Ted Williams. The "all or nothing" approach is much more related to pitchers getting better: higher velo on FB, higher spin on everything, more movement/break on everything, better tunneling so it's impossible to tell if it's the 97MPH 4SFB down Broadway or the wiffle ball slider at 91 that's gonna end up in the opposite batter's box. It's not "they keep swinging for homers on every pitch", it's just impossible to loving hit anything these days. Also managers got smarter about usage, so 3rd/4th time through the order is much rarer, and your 3rd/4th/5th PAs are likely to be against 3 different rested guys you haven't seen anywhere near as much who can throw 100 for 15 pitches.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Chamale posted:

Yeah, the Ted Williams approach was to swing for a higher launch angle and try to create fly balls. The problem is he was a terrible hitting coach because he tried teaching everyone that approach, and it just didn't work for some of them.

I've read that the Army tested the reflexes of everyone who enlisted in World War II, and Williams was the fastest. I don't have a way to verify that, but it checks out with his dominance.

So you’re saying he’d be all about what hitters are doing right now, kind of flying in the face of MrMojok’s arguments?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I don't care much about the "aesthetically pleasing" things "missing" from baseball. I want my team to win, and if smashing a bunch of dingers and walking a lot is the way to do it then do it.

I'd argue that the real problem is people have this BACK IN MY DAY view on the game and because it's changed they say no baseball is broken, not the game has changed and I should adapt. It's like the football weirdos who idolize football from the 70s when they ran into the centers rear end 40 times a game for 3 YPC. As a fan of a team who trotted out the corpse of Cam Newton last year and tried to do that because he sucks and can't throw anymore, that poo poo doesn't work in the NFL anymore and it was really obvious.

People bring up Ted Williams, he wasn't facing the caliber of pitchers that exist now. It's like when Adam Ottavino said he'd strike out Babe Ruth, Ruth would have poo poo his pants seeing a slider like that. Hitting has always been hard because even the best guys fail 7 of 10 times, but now it's even harder because the average pitcher isn't a junk baller anymore. For every guy like Randy Johnson or Roger Clemens that was around when Tony Gwynn played, there were a bunch of stiffs who wouldn't even be on a roster today

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Double posting here, but remember when smart teams first figured out walks and OBP were really good. Well you had a bunch of old fogies like Joe Morgan (who ironically walked a ton and had a high OBP himself) who were like this is stupid, back in my day we swung the bat, you don't go up there trying to walk, you go up to HIT

It's the same poo poo now, except back in my day we didn't strike out we popped singles over the defenders head (off a guy throwing 89 who went back to the dugout and smoked cigarettes between innings)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nodoze posted:

For every guy like Randy Johnson or Roger Clemens that was around when Tony Gwynn played, there were a bunch of stiffs who wouldn't even be on a roster today

There's also an insane idea that a bunch of Tony Gwynns are out there but they're being forced to become Giancarlo Stantons or something. The reason nobody is putting up Tony Gwynn numbers in 2021 is because it's incredibly loving hard to hit like he did in any era.

"More players should be no-doubt Hall of Famers" isn't the radically heterodox stance that owns the FO nerds that people think it is.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 20, 2021

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Nodoze posted:

I don't care much about the "aesthetically pleasing" things "missing" from baseball. I want my team to win, and if smashing a bunch of dingers and walking a lot is the way to do it then do it.

I'd argue that the real problem is people have this BACK IN MY DAY view on the game and because it's changed they say no baseball is broken, not the game has changed and I should adapt. It's like the football weirdos who idolize football from the 70s when they ran into the centers rear end 40 times a game for 3 YPC. As a fan of a team who trotted out the corpse of Cam Newton last year and tried to do that because he sucks and can't throw anymore, that poo poo doesn't work in the NFL anymore and it was really obvious.

People bring up Ted Williams, he wasn't facing the caliber of pitchers that exist now. It's like when Adam Ottavino said he'd strike out Babe Ruth, Ruth would have poo poo his pants seeing a slider like that. Hitting has always been hard because even the best guys fail 7 of 10 times, but now it's even harder because the average pitcher isn't a junk baller anymore. For every guy like Randy Johnson or Roger Clemens that was around when Tony Gwynn played, there were a bunch of stiffs who wouldn't even be on a roster today

We need to start naming all these new pitch variations like it's 1910. Just a bunch of dudes throwing 95 mph loopy-divers and upsie-daisy-riseballs and poo poo.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Chief McHeath posted:

We need to start naming all these new pitch variations like it's 1910. Just a bunch of dudes throwing 95 mph loopy-divers and upsie-daisy-riseballs and poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7IBPSJDT5o

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I don't think anyone has mentioned shifting yet either, which is the cherry on top of the poo poo sundae for hitters.

Even when you do make contact and hit something that would have been a hit 20 years ago it's not now because a defender is standing right loving there.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Blaming the shift instead of the new nerfed no-hitter ball is just what Manfred wants you to do!!!!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Baseball is entertainment. People who go to baseball games could choose to spend their money on bowling alleys or basketball or staying home and ordering a pizza. I think it's fair to look at the way strategy has evolved and ask whether it's more or less fun to watch. This has happened before, like the rules changes to increase offense in 1911 and 1969.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This is the most AROD product of all time.

https://twitter.com/AROD/status/1395454774321975296

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Chamale posted:

Baseball is entertainment. People who go to baseball games could choose to spend their money on bowling alleys

I'm actually very into bowling so this made me laugh (it's very much dying).

I actually wouldn't mind banning the shift :shrug:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mcmagic posted:

has alex rod ever looked comfortable or natural in a photograph

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Is he trying to smile or is he just staring directly into the Sun?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Have they tried juicing the ball?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nodoze posted:

The game has objectively changed as a result of improvements in technology and training, and it's ok for the community in and around it to have asethetic preferences on how the game is played. We should tweak rules to maintain those preferences when appropriate, as has been done for over 120 years now

"Back in the day" even when outs were roughly as common as in recent years, the nature of those outs was different; many more of them were outs on balls in play, rather than strikeouts. Fielding outs are aesthetically preferable for the game overall because it means more action and more defensive display.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 20, 2021

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I want a player after crushing a huge dinger to scream "WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE I AM!" at the pitcher now.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

bawfuls posted:

Large strides and arm extension are advantageous regardless of the mound distances (and arguably are MORE advantageous the closer the mound is, because the same distance of improvement is a larger proportion of the total distance to the plate). We should presume that pitchers and teams are already training for this and moving the mound back wouldn't change it much. It shouldn't stop the league from considering moving the mound back.

I think this is true. I'm pretty sure I read that the average distance from release point to plate has indeed shrunk. So one of the arguments for moving the mound back is that it has already effectively moved.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mcmagic posted:

honestly this will probably sell since most guys are too afraid/unable to just use makeup

which I assume is what that is but with a "manly" name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

IcePhoenix posted:

honestly this will probably sell since most guys are too afraid/unable to just use makeup

which I assume is what that is but with a "manly" name

The dollop, ever relevant to this thread because Dave's fascination with baseball history just did an episode about deodorant. And that was a large part of the back half. How do we sell this product to men since they think it is too womanly?