Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
Yeah, the issue is not that home runs aren’t aesthetically pleasing, the issue is a lack of balls in play is boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I'm actually very into bowling so this made me laugh (it's very much dying).

I actually wouldn't mind banning the shift :shrug:

We need to bring back the bowling thread as stuff reopens. I'm back in league in less than a week :shobon:

Also wouldn't mind banning the shift but I don't think it's the problem.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

alpha_destroy posted:

The dollop, ever relevant to this thread because Dave's fascination with baseball history just did an episode about deodorant. And that was a large part of the back half. How do we sell this product to men since they think it is too womanly?

I worked in a Low-A clubhouse, and believe it or not, a bunch of the guys swore that Secret women's deodorant worked better than any men's deodorant.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Keep the shift but apply the three batter minimum.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Yeah, the issue is not that home runs aren’t aesthetically pleasing, the issue is a lack of balls in play is boring.
now, in graph form!

(note that I cut the Y-axis at 50% to illustrate the change more)

IMO the league should target a BIP rate of 75% and consider anything between 70-80% acceptable. Alternatively they could target a K% around 15%

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 20, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/JamesSmyth621/status/1395469600956030978

Gio rules and is my favorite.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Chief McHeath posted:

I worked in a Low-A clubhouse, and believe it or not, a bunch of the guys swore that Secret women's deodorant worked better than any men's deodorant.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's true. I take women's multivitamins because I've noticed that for this brand, the women's vitamins just have more of everything for the same price.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

How prevalent is shift in college and MiLB? It feels like hitters are starting to adjust to the shift, maybe they're so far behind because they never had to before?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If the shift were the issue, we'd see it show up in BAPIP. But current BAPIP is somewhat high by historical standards (though it is down to .285 so far this season).

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 20, 2021

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Aren't home runs up? Could BABIP be up because the amount of home runs per batted ball is up? I'm struggling to find these stats though.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

All these stats can be found on Fangraphs leaderboards, which allow you to sort by League-wide stats. Home runs are neither in the numerator nor denominator of BABIP.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Bird in a Blender posted:

Aren't home runs up? Could BABIP be up because the amount of home runs per batted ball is up? I'm struggling to find these stats though.

HRs don't count as "balls in play" at least for BABIP purposes

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

more falafel please posted:

HRs don't count as "balls in play" at least for BABIP purposes

Ah, I didn't know that.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
theoretically if HR/FB is increasing, that would mean fewer balls in play for the denominator of BABIP, right?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yes but HR are still a very small portion of PA outcomes, too small for HR/FB changes to be noticeable in BABIP. The all-time peak for HR/PA was 3.64% in 2019.

To put it another way, from 2010-2019 HR/FB% increased from 9.4% to 15.3% and BABIP went from .297 to .298 (was as low as .295 and high as .300 in the intervening years)

edit: When you plot all the TTO components along with BIP (i.e. 1-TTO) it is very obvious that strikeouts are the primary culprit for reduced balls in play

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 20, 2021

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ambassador of Funk posted:

So you’re saying he’d be all about what hitters are doing right now, kind of flying in the face of MrMojok’s arguments?

Yeah, it is pretty much the same. I got his book out last night and there's a graphic in there that shows how he used a slight upswing, as opposed to the level swing that a lot of coaches taught at the time, to increase the amount of time that the swing path matched the path of the ball.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

MrMojok posted:

Yeah, it is pretty much the same. I got his book out last night and there's a graphic in there that shows how he used a slight upswing, as opposed to the level swing that a lot of coaches taught at the time, to increase the amount of time that the swing path matched the path of the ball.

Ted Williams, the original launch angle advocate. Good to know.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Kirios posted:

Okay fine I should have clarified - doubles and home runs were higher in 2019. Triples are such an anomaly it's impossible to properly compare them historically.

Evan Gattis had 12 triples in his career. He had 11 of them in 2015 alone.

Triples are the best play in baseball.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Make a squeeze play worth 2 runs.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

elentar posted:

Triples are the best play in baseball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC9yrqxB1KQ

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I knew Freddie was probably just fine but these numbers make me doubt even the idea that off-season stuff with his family or the lack of a new contract are impacting him on the field, sounds like he's just getting robbed
https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1395489445672009730

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

bawfuls posted:

The game has objectively changed as a result of improvements in technology and training, and it's ok for the community in and around it to have asethetic preferences on how the game is played. We should tweak rules to maintain those preferences when appropriate, as has been done for over 120 years now

"Back in the day" even when outs were roughly as common as in recent years, the nature of those outs was different; many more of them were outs on balls in play, rather than strikeouts. Fielding outs are aesthetically preferable for the game overall because it means more action and more defensive display.

Of course the TTO % is higher now than it used to be. Pitchers 30 years ago weren't actively trying to strike everyone out, because pitching to contact wasn't really discouraged and also they were expected to go more than 5 innings a start.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

So I know that plate discipline is a thing for scouting purposes, but is there a quantifiable stat for it? Is there a swing on balls outside the zone/no swing on strikes inside the zone times no-swing on balls/swing on strikes number or some such? I dunno. I know there's something like Whiff Rate with pitchers, but is there something similar for batters?

If we're taking suggestions, I think making the zone smaller (vertically? again?) would help to some degree, but with umpires being umps I have a hard time believing that will help MUCH, and I just aesthetically don't like the idea of moving the mound back even if it makes it physically impossible to identify a pitch (which obviously has a lot to do with my first paragraph there.)

This post brought to you by Watching The Twins Strike Out A Million Times.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

So I know that plate discipline is a thing for scouting purposes, but is there a quantifiable stat for it? Is there a swing on balls outside the zone/no swing on strikes inside the zone times no-swing on balls/swing on strikes number or some such? I dunno. I know there's something like Whiff Rate with pitchers, but is there something similar for batters?

If we're taking suggestions, I think making the zone smaller (vertically? again?) would help to some degree, but with umpires being umps I have a hard time believing that will help MUCH, and I just aesthetically don't like the idea of moving the mound back even if it makes it physically impossible to identify a pitch (which obviously has a lot to do with my first paragraph there.)

This post brought to you by Watching The Twins Strike Out A Million Times.

Usually Chase Rate (which like it sounds like, is the rate at which a hitter swings at pitches outside the zone) is what people look at for plate eye. Although the more nuanced version that gets looked at is O-Swing% (swing at pitches out of the zone) and Z-Swing% (swings inside the zone).

If you want the full breakdown, Fangraphs have got you.

https://library.fangraphs.com/offense/plate-discipline/

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Ambassador of Funk posted:

Usually Chase Rate (which like it sounds like, is the rate at which a hitter swings at pitches outside the zone) is what people look at for plate eye. Although the more nuanced version that gets looked at is O-Swing% (swing at pitches out of the zone) and Z-Swing% (swings inside the zone).

If you want the full breakdown, Fangraphs have got you.

https://library.fangraphs.com/offense/plate-discipline/

Rad, thanks!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nodoze posted:

Of course the TTO % is higher now than it used to be. Pitchers 30 years ago weren't actively trying to strike everyone out, because pitching to contact wasn't really discouraged and also they were expected to go more than 5 innings a start.
This is a trend that goes back much further than 30 years. Look at 1920-1965 on that chart. In response to rising strikeouts and pitcher dominance at that time, the league expanded (which tends to dilute pitching more than hitting for whatever reason), lowered the mound, added the DH, and shrunk the zone.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

Rad, thanks!

Happy to help, especially after showing a little of ignorance on Old Ted. But if the question is ever "has baseball made something numerically quantifiable?" the answer is almost always yes, and if it's no, you can drat well bet someone is trying their hardest to make it happen.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Seattle Mariners, 05/16 - 05/20: 14 hits
San Francisco Giants, 05/21: 16 hits

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

Rad, thanks!

I should have just linked this to you. https://library.fangraphs.com/offense/plate-discipline/

Looks like the Twins are in almost the exact middle when it comes to swinging outside.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Seattle Mariners, 05/16 - 05/20: 14 hits
San Francisco Giants, 05/21: 16 hits
what else can you tell us about tomorrow's game results? I could use a 10-way parlay payout

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Baseball makes changes at a glacial pace; what if deadening the baseball was a long term idea by Theo to force teams to evaluate and develop hitters differently; and make the offensive changes needed to get more balls in play? So we really start seeing it like two years from now

Yeah I know long term thinking goes against literally everything baseball has ever done.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 21, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

will_colorado posted:

Baseball makes changes at a glacial pace; what if deadening the baseball was a long term idea by Theo to force teams to evaluate and develop hitters differently; and make the offensive changes needed to get more balls in play? So we really start seeing it like two years from now

Yeah I know long term thinking goes against literally everything baseball has ever done.
If that's the case then Theo and the league are morons (possible), because changing hitter approaches at the plate is not a good way to cut down significantly on strikeouts.

You have to make it harder for pitchers to get strikeouts, period.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

will_colorado posted:

bawfuls posted:

If that's the case then Theo and the league are morons (possible), because changing hitter approaches at the plate is not a good way to cut down significantly on strikeouts.

You have to make it harder for pitchers to get strikeouts, period.

Yeah, actually doing something about ball greasing is where I would start if I wanted that outcome.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

yeah if you want to go with ball-related changes:

make the ball tacky so pitchers don't need goop to grip it (they do this in NPB already), but lower the seams as much as you can so that pitches don't break as much for a given spin rate

then be absolutely ruthless about enforcing the rule against foreign substances

or just the last part, but if you make the ball tacky you also reduce the incentive for pitchers to use foreign substances

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Make the ball both larger and heavier, thus reducing pitch and exit velo while making it easier to hit

E: also change the mass distribution inside the ball to lower overall spin rates.

UZR IS BULLSHIT fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 21, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I'm guessing it would be pretty tough to change the ball's mass distribution while maintaining similar CoR, especially if you intend to move mass from the center towards the surface to increase rotational inertia and thus reduce RPM for a given imparted torque. Moving mass towards the surface will tend to make the outer part of the ball more dense, which is likely to increase CoR thus increasing exit velo

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

bawfuls posted:

what else can you tell us about tomorrow's game results? I could use a 10-way parlay payout

son of a bitch whoops, offset those all by 1 day

19 runs again :getin:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1395532172900110341

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Nodoze posted:

What is everyones sudden obsession with how long games or media are now? In the last couple years so many people have started complaining (x) game time is too long, movies are too long now, oh my god a hockey game went into double overtime in the playoffs UNACCEPTABLE

Why does it matter how long it is, just enjoy what you are watching. I don't watch sports, or movies, to look at my watch the whole time going ugh this should only be two hours this is absurd it's too long i am outraged and so on

no sir you're not going to convince anyone that people complain about overtime playoff hockey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Intruder posted:

no sir you're not going to convince anyone that people complain about overtime playoff hockey

only if its a shootout