Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Snowman_McK posted:

He also knew when to take the mask off. Right after Leben knocked out Wanderlei, like, immediately after, Helwani ran up to him, hoping for a soundbite on how bad Wanderlei is in continuation of chael talking about how bad Wanderlei was and is. Instead, he just shook his head in disbelief, talking about how he hoped Wanderlei was alright and that this was a very tough sport to grow older in. He even managed to sound genuinely worried. Whether or not it was real or something he'd worked out already, he knew when to drop/shift the act.

Didn't Dolce's trick turn out to be steroids and sitting next to them slapping pizza slices out of their hands?

Sincere Chael, especially on TUF, was always very amazing.

The secret to LouTrition was that Johny Hendricks was allowed to go to Whataburger, but not get fries or a soda. I think the Dolce Diet was strictly roids and diuretics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

Sincere Chael, especially on TUF, was always very amazing.

The secret to LouTrition was that Johny Hendricks was allowed to go to Whataburger, but not get fries or a soda. I think the Dolce Diet was strictly roids and diuretics

It was also a super secret breakfast meal (oatmeal + berries)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Kragger99 posted:

“Touch-butt in the park”.
Thanks for reminding me of that excellent Diazism.

When I bike my toddler around in his rear bike seat, sometimes he reaches out and puts his hands on my butt,
upon which I immediately ask, "oh so we're playing touch butt now? You wanna go play touch butt in the park?"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Want a breakdown?

I’m going to level with you – I almost didn’t do this one because this card is so dire, but I was bored and found half an hour here so lets do it. I’m going to do most of this from memory without looking up the fighters’ pages unless I need to.

Main Card – all of this is ESPN+
Bantamweight Main Event Rob Font vs Cody Garbrandt
Font is a pretty good punch-centric bantamweight, with solid power. He put away Marlon Moraes in December, leaving him on a 3-fight winning streak. Cody Garbrandt is the former divisional champion who just recovered from a 3-fight skid by loving decapitating long-time top contender Raphael Assuncao in one of the best KOs you’ll ever see. Oh and now he’s recovering from Covid, which cost him a shot at 125 lb champ Devi Figgs. Cody’s strength is that he is possibly the fastest puncher in the sport; his weakness is that he has a questionable chin.

Strawweight Yan Xiaonan vs Carla Esparza
Yan is the other ranked Chinese strawweight. She’s undefeated in the UFC but she hasn’t finished anyone. She’s basically a kickboxer and she has gotten past opponents like Angie Hill and Claudia Gadelha. Esparza is the division’s first champion, and as of this week she’s probably the best wrestler in the division by a wide margin. She’s on a 4 fight streak having squeezed out some split decisions over Marina Rodriguez and Michelle Waterson. Oh and she has a win over the current champion.

Heavyweight Justin Tafa vs Jared Vanderaa
Tafa has nowhere near enough fights, but he’s Mark Hunt’s protégé and he has a sweet moustache. He is 1-2 in the ufc and looked like dogshit in a decision loss to Carlos Felipe in January. He has room to develop though, and he’s basically a baby for a heavyweight, so it’s worth watching him to see if he levels up. Vanderaa is a DWCS guy who lost to Spivak in his UFC debut.

Featherweight Felicia Spencer vs Norma Dumont Viana
Spencer is a Canadian grappler who was given an opportunity to show how tough, game, and brave she is against Amanda Nunes. She’s actually a decent fighter, and cool and likeable, but she unfortunately doesn’t have a division. I suspect that they brought in Viana just because they’re contractually obligated to give her a fight or something. She lost to Megan Anderson, went down to Bantamweight, missed weight, won a fight, and then is back at featherweight. Don’t be surprised if both fighters get released after this. Unionize, ladies.

Flyweight David Dvorak vs Raulian Paiva
Making me actually look at Wikipedia pages and tapology here. I’ve definitely seen Dvorak fight twice but I don’t remember him. He’s a Czech with a 2-0 UFC record, most recently beating Jordan Espinosa. No idea. Paiva is a Brazilian who came from DWCS to take surging Kai Kara-France to a split decision. I remember that being a good fight. He’s now on a two fight winning streak, though he missed weight last time.

Middleweight Jack Hermansson vs Edmen Shahbazyan
I hate this matchup from a divisional development perspective but it’s a good fight nonetheless. Shahbazyan is the other Glendale Fight Club fighter. He’s an extremely young striker who is good at fighting but bad at not getting beaten up by Derek Brunson. Hermansson is a Norwegian grappler, now fringe contender, who lost his momentum to Marvin Vettori in his last fight. He’s very tough and game and does cool grapple poo poo.

Prelims
Bantamweight Ricardo Ramos vs Bill Algeo
Ramos is a hot-cold fighter best known for his spinning back elbow poo poo HE’S DEAD KO of Aiemann Zahabi. He got KOed by Lerone Murphy in July. Algeo the guy who fought Lamas in Lamas’s retirement fight and looked decent in a loss. He outworked Spike Carlyle after that. He’s a pretty well-rounded fighter with an inflection towards wrestling and looking like he eats corn. Note that both fighters are making their bantamweight debuts here, I think, moving down from featherweight.

:frogsiren:Ben Rothwell vs Chris Barnett
Of Mice and Ben is back – his last fight got cancelled for some reason I don’t even remember. He’s big and he’s dumb and he walks forward like a zombie winging punches. He draws late replacement Chris “Huggy Bear” Barnett, a 5’9” former super heavyweight who is way too agile and hilarious for a guy his size. He does like spinning kicks and back flips and stuff. Most of his wins are in Road FC in China, but he’s a darling of those of us who follow z-tier international MMA.

Welterweight Court McGee vs Claudio Silva
Court McGee is still around eh? Should I even check what happened in his last fight? Sigh I better. Oh he lost to Carlos Condit to end up on a 3-fight skid, and now he’s 3-7 in his last 8. Ok. He’s a former TUF winner who is basically a grinder and he apparently has some kind of Dana White Privilege. Silva is an older grappler with really embarrassingly bad striking technique who put together a long winning streak, including Leon Edwards, and who got outpointed by James Krause in October for his first UFC loss.

Flyweight Bruno Gustavo da Silva vs Victor Rodriguez
Best name on the card! Bruno Gustavo is a Brazilian who is 1-2 1NC in the UFC. He KOed JP Buys in March. No idea, though I recognize his picture on Tapology. Victor Rodriguez is an American who got KOed by hot prospect Adrian Yanez in October. He has wins in Alaska FC and something called “Blood Sweat & Beers.” I think he’s moving down from bantamweight.

Featherweight Josh Culibao vs Sha Yilan (aka Shayilan Nuerdanbieke?)
Culibao is an Aussie who is 0-1-1 UFC with a Draw to Charles Jourdain. Shayilan is a Chinese fighter who is 19-6 and making his UFC debut. He is tagged as a grappler and has a 2-1 series with “Yibugele” and several fights in something called WLF W.A.R.S.

Lightweight Damir Hadzovic vs Yancy Medeiros
Hey Yancy is still around! He’s an action fighter – lanky kickboxer – who is worth watching. He lost a decision to Lando Vannata in February 2020, apparently, and that leaves him on a 3-fight losing streak. Hadzovic is Bosnian-Danish and has apparently been around for a while. His best win is to Marcin Held. He got stormed by Renato Moicano in Mocano’s Lightweight debut. Probably a pink slip fight.

Lightweight Rafael Alves vs Damir Ismagulov
Ismagulov is 3-0 in the UFC with 3 unanimous decisions, notably over Thiago Moises. He came from M-1. Alves is a Brazilian journeyman who fought his way in through DWCS and is making his UFC debut.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Snowman_McK posted:

wait, what?

The koscheck-gsp season had some drama between cos and GSP's cutman/medic/therapist named Tate (?) but I doubt that's what they were referring to, so i assume it was on another season?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

When I bike my toddler around in his rear bike seat, sometimes he reaches out and puts his hands on my butt,
upon which I immediately ask, "oh so we're playing touch butt now? You wanna go play touch butt in the park?"

Crom bless you and your child.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Want a breakdown?

Good breakdown. I would, however, dispute that Cody, god's perfect idiot, has a bad chin. It's more that, despite having a near superhuman sense of distance and timing, he's also dumb as poo poo and gets into extremely dumb firefights that he doesn't need to. As a result, his chin is brutally tested by punches that would put most people away, and he still takes several shots to go down. The Munhoz fight was a perfect example. He threw out all his excellent boxing and just started winging the same haymaker repeatedly and eating the exact same counter. It was like an even dumber version of the second Dillashaw fight.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Do you have a pony tail?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

ilmucche posted:

I mean, chael sonnen

Sonnen engaged in his fair share of trash talk, but it was rarely in the vein of "this guy is poo poo and doesn't belong in the same cage as me, I'm not interested in fighting him, you shouldn't be interested in watching".

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If this Fabia dude genuinely had Diego's power of attorney, I'd be amazed if Diego has a single penny left to his name.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If this Fabia dude genuinely had Diego's power of attorney, I'd be amazed if Diego has a single penny left to his name.

I think I remember early on Diego mentioning that Fabia was good for him because he did basically everything for him so he could focus on training but I would have never guessed he meant to that level.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
sorry if this has been posted already but i only just found out about it so...

somebody did a feature length documentary on florida man mike perry. the first spoken words are 'train wreck' and the next words are a definition of a train wreck so i'm sure it's worth my time and maybe even yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQX8foeLviQ

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I posted the first part when it came out and apparently the second part was uploaded a couple of days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFRdIeuU7FU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Listening to the insanity sequentially over a short period of time has me marvelling at the completely bizzare behaviours that I have completely forgotten about because it wasn't remarkable relative to being Mike perry.

Any of these stories would be the most remarkable thing about 99% of all mma fighters ever.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chris Barnett once fought at the Road FC event I went to and lost via weird TKO (I think it was Road FC 38 or so).

mewse
May 2, 2006

chaleski posted:

Some pleasantly surprising news, looks like Diego Sanchez cut ties with Fabia. For some reason I figured that toxic moron would be sticking around for a while, glad I'm wrong.

This is great news, I wonder how it happened. Having your contract pulled because they think you're going to be a legal adversary ala Mark Hunt may have been a wake up call for Diego and someone finally got through to him that the Fabia guy was ruining his legacy.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Apparently Jacare got released?

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
His arm got released from the rest of his body

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

hell of a career my friend truly a legend of the sport. take care of that arm won't you? you're fired.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Seems like Jacare's contract ended rather than a straight up cut. (functionally the same really)

Definitely wouldn't let my arm get broken for a company who hasn't informed me if they're renewing my contract, gently caress that. I'd tap at the first sign of it being over.
Hopefully they at least got him good treatment and he can make a tidy packet of sponsor money on a retirement lap in Bellator/BKFC/wherever.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Jacare will be 42 by the time his arm heals, do you really wanna see him in BKFC? He can probably crush a few cans in Bellator though, but I suspect that's not how they'll match it up.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
tbf jacare has always been a particularly determined guy even among the absolute maniacs who fight in the ufc. it's a real bummer he never made it to the belt.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Brut posted:

Jacare will be 42 by the time his arm heals, do you really wanna see him in BKFC? He can probably crush a few cans in Bellator though, but I suspect that's not how they'll match it up.

Maybe he can make small but much safer money with the various grappling events that are put on.

Foul Fowl posted:

tbf jacare has always been a particularly determined guy even among the absolute maniacs who fight in the ufc. it's a real bummer he never made it to the belt.

I always thought his inconsistency came from having a chip on his shoulder about not wanting to be just a grappler in MMA, and kept writing checks that his striking skills couldn't cash. But with the last skid, it seems like the adaptations he made for MMA grappling weren't enough to get passed by there, either.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Just have Jacare attempt the Camozzi Time Trials until he get consistently speed run it under 60 seconds

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Does anyone have the Brendan Schaub my man post?

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

it's never not funny.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Is Johnny Walker booked for anything? I feel like I haven't seen him in a while.

Nvm: "Walker is scheduled to face Thiago Santos on September 25, 2021 at UFC Fight Night 197."

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Jeez I even commented on the fight announcement when it happened. I do want to see Santos fight for the belt again. He has so much power and could put the hurt on most guys

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Raulian Paiva was hospitalized due to his weight cut and is now off the card. They got some rando to step in against Dvorak.

Does someone have to literally die before this issue gains real traction?

EDIT - Who am I kidding? One death won't be enough. lol

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The koscheck-gsp season had some drama between cos and GSP's cutman/medic/therapist named Tate (?) but I doubt that's what they were referring to, so i assume it was on another season?

No Tate from TUF was a paramedic/nurse.

Not to be confused with the controversy of Phil Nurse rubbing GSPs chest during the BJ Penn fight, allegedly with vaseline that caused a bunch of controversy. They said the rubbing was something they learned from a guy they called the "Witch Doctor" to increase breathing or some other .

"The St. Pierre camp argue that Nurse was executing a breathing/energy exercise designed by [holistic therapist Steven] Friend, who is known as the "Witch Doctor" in MMA circles, and that if there was any Vaseline transfer, it was accidental and so small as to not make a difference in the fight."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/gsp-camp-offers-response-to-allegations-of-cheating/article1149481/

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

No Tate from TUF was a paramedic/nurse.

Not to be confused with the controversy of Phil Nurse rubbing GSPs chest during the BJ Penn fight, allegedly with vaseline that caused a bunch of controversy. They said the rubbing was something they learned from a guy they called the "Witch Doctor" to increase breathing or some other .

"The St. Pierre camp argue that Nurse was executing a breathing/energy exercise designed by [holistic therapist Steven] Friend, who is known as the "Witch Doctor" in MMA circles, and that if there was any Vaseline transfer, it was accidental and so small as to not make a difference in the fight."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/gsp-camp-offers-response-to-allegations-of-cheating/article1149481/

That led to BJ Penn's mother demanding to watch GSP shower for the rematch to make sure Georges wasn't excessively greased

Also, the best MMA Witch Doctor is the psionic warlock Bigfoot Silva used to drain Fedor's energy and transfer it into Bigfoot.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Snowman_McK posted:

That was more a joke that everyone was in on except Steven Seagal, which is a very good summary of Steven Seagal.

Lol yea I knew it was a joke I just wanted to bring it up

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i demand to watch gsp shower too :colbert:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Eat This Glob posted:

after you finish he'll tell you he was not impressed by your per-for-mance

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

gotta shoot your shot imo. if you're a dusty old housewife and have even the smallest opportunity to watch a handsome french canadian killing machine soap up you simply have to. it might even be the law.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

ehhh i cannot reach. mizz blow job, will you help? mizz blow job? mizz blow job?

ms penn? MS PENN? no, you absolutely cannot watch him shower. what a loving stupid thing to ask.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is some wholesome news

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/5/22/22448267/claudio-silva-feeding-600-families-covid-crisis-rio-de-janeiro-best-thing-my-life-ufc

quote:

“I love the city of Rio de Janeiro and consider it to be my second home because I’ve always trained jiu-jitsu and competed there,” Claudio Silva said in an interview with MMA Fighting. “I was doing my camp there and every time I walked in the streets, everywhere I went I saw kids looking for food in garbage cans. Old people, young people, teenagers… And I thought to myself, ‘Man, I never lacked food in my life, how am I going to accept seeing this and doing nothing about it?’”

Silva decided to use his social media to call for donations. In a few months, “Hannibal” was able to collect enough money to buy food for 600 families. Silva went to local favelas in Rio de Janeiro to deliver food “and hope” to every single one of those families.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/Eaglesmesh/status/1395708044286341120?s=20

:-]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1396157516250329088