Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

fart simpson posted:

i think interactive brokers and a few other things like that actually do let you take a margin loan against your equity and have the cash sitting in your account
that feels incredibly sketchy and if they're not charging usurious rates then welp

also it means you're de facto leveraged all the time and a 30% drop in the market wipes you out completely. this is good for buttcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1395541758197567490

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

PBOC keeping the laff machine rolling

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

text editor posted:

lol I didn't know other Bitcoin businesses also had their own 'stablecoins'

i think that one's relatively newer and actually claims to be exchangeable for real money, unlike tether. we'll see how long that lasts lol.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

kw0134 posted:

that feels incredibly sketchy and if they're not charging usurious rates then welp

also it means you're de facto leveraged all the time and a 30% drop in the market wipes you out completely. this is good for buttcoin

their website says they have a 50% margin requirement and charge variable interest at benchmark rate + 1.5% for the first $100k you borrow. benchmark rate is based on risk free rate which is currently only 0.06% so it’s 1.56% interest to borrow up to 50% of whatever the value of your investment with them

etrade has something similar but they charge 7.95% interest

m1 finance has something similar but they charge 2%

i don’t think the basic concept is that far out there. i certainly wouldn’t do it with a bitcoin exchange though lol

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Shame Boy posted:

i think that one's relatively newer and actually claims to be exchangeable for real money, unlike tether. we'll see how long that lasts lol.

my take is that they saw that there's a market for tether but that the writing is on the wall for their collapse, and want to be positioned to take over the smoking crater that's left over

corollary: whoever is in charge of it is even more incredulously furious that it hasn't happened than we are

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i could see doing that margin loan thing if your a 6 figgie shitlord or something with a fat stack of stocks in your account and you need to come up with an extra $10k for a large purchase or something

you only get wiped out if you are borrowing the max amount and the market tanks by 50%

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

borrowing money to invest it is one of those things that has always seemed to me like a really good idea for wealthy people and a really bad idea for normal plebs

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I guess if you're doing a poor man's repo agreement then that makes sense but that seems like a nightmare for risk management if you're offering that to any meme stock chasing retail trader.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

qirex posted:

borrowing money to invest it is one of those things that has always seemed to me like a really good idea for wealthy people and a really bad idea for normal plebs

ive thought about doing it before, but settled for holding a relatively small amount of leveraged etfs

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

kw0134 posted:

I guess if you're doing a poor man's repo agreement then that makes sense but that seems like a nightmare for risk management if you're offering that to any meme stock chasing retail trader.

oh you mean for the broker?

for a normal person i think it could make sense in some situations but like, i wouldn’t trust my mom with that kind of financial stuff

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

Boxturret posted:

bitcoin becomes full of genius 9,999 transactions, maybe a couple pairs of instantaneous 5,000 ones if they want to get really tricky

dear /r/legaladvice I’m being charged with something called “structuring”?!?!??

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

it's a problem for both the broker and the client; the client can get into trouble easily and the broker, if enough of their clients do the same, now suddenly are on the hook for a ton of loans that are defaulted. like...just ask UBS with what happened to Archegos as an example

also a lot of currency brokers got blown up on various currency devaluations; i remember one time the swiss franc dropped 10% because it would no longer support a euro peg (during the 2008 financial crisis) and a ton of traders blew up their accounts, which blew up their brokers

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
enjoying today's latest round of meltdowns

every single person who works at mcdonalds has contributed more to society than these idiots so maybe they should follow their own advice

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

enjoying today's latest round of meltdowns

every single person who works at mcdonalds has contributed more to society than these idiots so maybe they should follow their own advice

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

fart simpson posted:

i could see doing that margin loan thing if your a 6 figgie shitlord or something with a fat stack of stocks in your account and you need to come up with an extra $10k for a large purchase or something

you only get wiped out if you are borrowing the max amount and the market tanks by 50%

yeah it’s for use as a line of credit by people with big portfolios. as with all things margin it’s super dangerous for normies.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/vhranger/status/1395765279922212875

:lol:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's better than cash!

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Paladinus posted:

It's better than cash!

It's a productive and valuable asset.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/smithstock/status/1395794469761466368

Even better.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
what's the issue with each tether being backed by a different tether?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's tethers all the way down.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

virulent diseases that live on the heads of hammers?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

dead eyed stares into the void through the medium of a youtube thumbnail where you're pleading with the audience to not sell their shitcoins and have faith in the blockchain by the satoshi, musk and the hodly spirit amen?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

This can't possibly be legal

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

it feels like they've been doing this for so long how that it should have all collapsed ages ago and i just don't understand how it's still going. does anyone know what it'll take to actually make tether collapse?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

NYAG might pull it off. They're slow but they do not gently caress around.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

remember that this is who buttcoiners think is "charismatic" and "the most effective speaker they've ever listened to"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

bitcoiners have never really experienced anything before bitcoin, so of course andreas is going to be the most charasmatic speaker they've ever seen, because he's the first speaker they've ever seen and bitcoin is good so therefore so is he

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Chalks posted:

it feels like they've been doing this for so long how that it should have all collapsed ages ago and i just don't understand how it's still going. does anyone know what it'll take to actually make tether collapse?
It took the 2008 crash to rip the curtain back on Madoff's operation. LMAO if the thing that kills bitcoin is people being able to spend money on things with intrinsic reward again.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Reminder that New York actually has sweat invested in the cryptosphere with the bit license. Killing tether immediately probably would have killed the industry.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

it's like how some bitcoiner ligitimately think bitcoin was the first electronic payment system created and before bitcoin banks daily sent thousands of armoured cars full of gold across the country

or how satoshi invented math

or how bitcoin invented QR codes

it's amazing how so many bitcoiners lived their entire lives in a featureless grey room and when they were let out the first thing they saw was bitcoin

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

yeah i don't expect anything to happen to tether until all the powerful people who need the illusion to exist to stop their investments collapsing, it'll get killed when it's no longer of any use to them

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
what we really need is for an economist to come by, and stop laughing for long enough to explain it to us

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
grey thread had a few pages of a coiner who claimed to hold a degree in economics yet didn't know the meaning of negative externalities or what contributed to him having a lower power bill in Spring

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Shumagorath posted:

grey thread had a few pages of a coiner who claimed to hold a degree in economics yet didn't know the meaning of negative externalities or what contributed to him having a lower power bill in Spring

probably needs to be a better economist than that, i think. maybe one thats not from gibbis at all

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

you call yourself an economist huh? well can you name 50 economies right now without looking it up? yeah i thought not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
friends say i'm an economaniac