Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

I think Trent has the best batting average of any musician ever with me outside of like, the Beatles who had a perfect run before they exploded.

Bowie and Tom Waits, but Trent has time yet.

I want to see what he's doing in his 60s and 70s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Bowie and Tom Waits, but Trent has time yet.

I want to see what he's doing in his 60s and 70s

I need to listen to more Waits. Every Bowie album has at least one or two good songs, but a lot of his stuff in the late eighties up until Outside was pretty aggressively bland. Tin Machine as well.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Nick Cave is up there also.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
The Avalanches have a relatively small number of releases but they are all imo absolutely perfect works of art

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Another festival, now with 90% more 90's and early Aughts.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i expect them to headline psycho las vegas and austin city limits at this rate.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Macrame_God posted:

Ixi just uploaded a video for A Warm Place. Watching it right now. It's nice.

https://youtu.be/VQWUP0K24uc

A Warm Place owns, it's genuinely the climax and pivot of TDS emotionally and musically, this video owns, I love everything

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

JOHN CENA posted:

Yeah, I feel both of those are solid bets. ACL is super tempting, but man festivals are a huge ask for me these days. Day For Night here was doable because the location was prime and the weather was usally solid. Travelling to Austin for ACL and dealing with lodging and access to that venue (Zilker?) is just too much effort. Just gives a traditional arena tour T-Rez so I can pay too much to sit in a seat, drink over priced beer and munch on an edible.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

JOHN CENA posted:

yeah about that

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 21, 2021

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I just copped tickets to Sunday Riot fest. Haven't seen NIN since 2014 Soundgarden tour. loving excited

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

what the gently caress is even going on with this list

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I just copped tickets to Sunday Riot fest. Haven't seen NIN since 2014 Soundgarden tour. loving excited
I'm going as well, gonna be awesome

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I really hope they play a festival here or announce some non-festival dates and come here :( The last time I saw them was at Day for Night 2017 when their set got cut short due to rain. Though that was a pretty loving awesome set:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o5JV-TKQnU

Got to see The Background World!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Midjack posted:

what the gently caress is even going on with this list

Trust me, we are very upset over here in atx

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

JOHN CENA posted:

big swing and a miss by me

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
NIN-adjacent: Gary Numan's new album 'Intruder' is out. I like it at first listen, but you can tell he struggled with creative block during the pandemic. Like if you haven't heard much of his newer stuff, it's a really solid industrial rock album, but if you're more familiar with him there are very few surprises. It's the third in the trilogy after Splinter and Savage, but seems to have less to say than either. There's a definite formula he's been following for about a decade, but at 63 years old that's still pretty drat impressive.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

sticklefifer posted:

NIN-adjacent: Gary Numan's new album 'Intruder' is out. I like it at first listen, but you can tell he struggled with creative block during the pandemic. Like if you haven't heard much of his newer stuff, it's a really solid industrial rock album, but if you're more familiar with him there are very few surprises. It's the third in the trilogy after Splinter and Savage, but seems to have less to say than either. There's a definite formula he's been following for about a decade, but at 63 years old that's still pretty drat impressive.

Aw… I thought Splinter was really good and Savage was OK, so maybe I won’t blind-buy this one. The single didn’t do much for me.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I still recommend it, it just comes off as a very 'safe' album, kind of like how his late 90s to mid-00s stuff all runs together a bit.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

JOHN CENA posted:

Wow. Looks like it was a double NOPE.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Ty segall and osees will melt your loving faces off

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

It is just a quick bop up from LA to make a guest appearance in HEALTH's set.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

hatelull posted:

Wow. Looks like it was a double NOPE.

The Flaming Lips on the same bill as Cannibal Corpse has me intrigued.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Right? Primitive Man and Pinback is also an interesting pairing. I'm more intrigued by the idea of Old Man Gloom playing a pool party though.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

david_a posted:

Aw… I thought Splinter was really good and Savage was OK, so maybe I won’t blind-buy this one. The single didn’t do much for me.

2nding that it's not terrible. It just feels very much like a straight sequel to Savage, without a lot of innovation between. I feel like Numan's fallen into a bit of rut as far as using specific chord changes and synth patches so a lot of songs start running together.

I've been listening to some of his slightly older but still recent stuff while waiting for Intruder and I still haven't heard anything that I love more than "We Are Lost" from Dead Son Rising, the album when he went full-on "gently caress it. If they're gonna call me Nine Inch Numan, I'll just turn the N in my name backwards too..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LumG1su8Bg

I mean... I dig so much about this song. The tribal drums, broken up with rimshots and sticks, the synths that seem to float over everything, the dreamy vocals... I wish more of his stuff was like that.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Stryder posted:

2nding that it's not terrible. It just feels very much like a straight sequel to Savage, without a lot of innovation between. I feel like Numan's fallen into a bit of rut as far as using specific chord changes and synth patches so a lot of songs start running together.

I've been listening to some of his slightly older but still recent stuff while waiting for Intruder and I still haven't heard anything that I love more than "We Are Lost" from Dead Son Rising, the album when he went full-on "gently caress it. If they're gonna call me Nine Inch Numan, I'll just turn the N in my name backwards too..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LumG1su8Bg

I mean... I dig so much about this song. The tribal drums, broken up with rimshots and sticks, the synths that seem to float over everything, the dreamy vocals... I wish more of his stuff was like that.

Hmm, ok…

Doesn’t he tend to get stuck in ruts though? I have Exile (97) and Pure (2000) and I couldn’t tell you the difference between those albums (honestly the fact that I owned Exile was a shock to me when I checked my music app).

I mean I guess if you’ve been making music for 45+ years with (checks Wikipedia) 23 albums you probably tend to repeat yourself a bit.

Percy Teatwillow
Jan 9, 2006

let us go out this evening for pleasure, for the night is still young
A few things went up on the NIN store today, including a cassette single release of Reptile. What’s noteworthy here is that the B-side contains “Just Do It” which has never been released, long rumored to have not even been recorded.

EDIT: it’s sold out, by the way. Anyone here lucky enough to have snagged one of these?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I assume that goes up all the usual places the instant someone gets it in and rips it.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Probably worth noting that went up with a listing for LaserDisc copies of Closure and both appeared to basically be sold out instantly.

Pretty good odds on Trent loving with people.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Vegastar posted:

And I'm here for it. :holy:

Percy Teatwillow
Jan 9, 2006

Vegastar posted:

Probably worth noting that went up with a listing for LaserDisc copies of Closure and both appeared to basically be sold out instantly.

trent :argh:

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Percy Teatwillow posted:

A few things went up on the NIN store today, including a cassette single release of Reptile. What’s noteworthy here is that the B-side contains “Just Do It” which has never been released, long rumored to have not even been recorded.

EDIT: it’s sold out, by the way. Anyone here lucky enough to have snagged one of these?

<cleaning the garage>
Wife: Honey, why are you still holding onto this old Sony Sports Walkman? Can we chuck it?

Me: NO. I NEED IT.

Wife: For what?

Me: JUST IN CASE.

Percy Teatwillow
Jan 9, 2006

Stryder posted:

<cleaning the garage>
Wife: Honey, why are you still holding onto this old Sony Sports Walkman? Can we chuck it?

Me: NO. I NEED IT.

Wife: For what?

Me: JUST IN CASE.

1. Just Do It
2. Please
3. Do They Even Make Cassettes Anymore?
4. Could Probably Get A Couple Bucks Out Of It

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Was Just Do It the inspiration for Everybody's Doing It (ft. Chris Martin, Jay-Z and Bono)?

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Percy Teatwillow posted:

1. Just Do It
2. Please
3. Do They Even Make Cassettes Anymore?
4. Could Probably Get A Couple Bucks Out Of It

"It's actual an LP, not an EP because track 4 is the length of an eBay auction"

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i admit it took me WAY TOO LONG for it to dawn on me that it’s trent loving with people.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

they're gonna open their first show with Purest Feeling played in its entirity

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Special Exotic Birds/Option 30 set.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JOHN CENA posted:

they're gonna open their first show with Purest Feeling played in its entirity

Yeah that's fine, it's just a song.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

obeyasia posted:

Yeah that's fine, it's just a song.

I think he meant the entire original scrapped version of pretty hate machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

I think he meant the entire original scrapped version of pretty hate machine.

I flipped it.