Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

of course there's life on venus, that's where women come from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Mola Yam posted:

also a phosphane truther. at any rate, venus always seemed the most probable place we'd find (extremely basic) life outside earth to me, especially after all the extremeophile bacteria discoveries here.

there's ~evidence~ for extant life on mars too (outside of richard hoagland poo poo). unexplained methane (could be geological), seasonal lichen-like "splotches" (could be subsurface melts darkening the soil), weird fukken puffball spores, some with bendy stalks (probably just straight up rocks).

those puffball spore poo poo from mars freaks me out. looks like fuckin' life to me, or at least some wild weathering/chemical reaction.

also, btw, gently caress politifact. true or not, they are clearly claiming it:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/351252619_Fungi_on_Mars_Evidence_of_Growth_and_Behavior_From_Sequential_Images

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing

Inspector Hound posted:

Phosphine is a substance that can only be made by living things, bacteria and etc, as far as we know, and they thought they found it in the atmosphere of Venus

This is the cold water

“no it’s not it’s something else probably” 🧐

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Venus has a lovely magnetosphere but probably has life just because such a hot planet would be producing subsurface life for millions of years. Probably not anything intelligent though, so not much different than earth

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DrcG7VGgQU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i've lately been thinking about the rare earth hypothesis and have been wondering if the converse might be true: maybe the reason we haven't spotted other, intelligent life is simply that the milky way is a loving statistical basket case and every other galaxy looks like your average game of stellaris

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Delta-Wye posted:

those puffball spore poo poo from mars freaks me out. looks like fuckin' life to me, or at least some wild weathering/chemical reaction.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/351252619_Fungi_on_Mars_Evidence_of_Growth_and_Behavior_From_Sequential_Images

yeah that's the one. i wish they hadn't taken such a shotgun approach to their "evidence" because some of it is pretty weak imo. but the puffballs are compelling (the way new ones appear and grow without the existing ones around them moving at all). still, could be little balls of frozen minerals or something I guess.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Delta-Wye posted:

also, btw, gently caress politifact. true or not, they are clearly claiming it:

This poo poo is wild, but why didn't they specify where the fuckin public domain images were other than specifying which Sol they were taken on?

In any case the viking landers probably detected life back in the 70s according to the guy that designed the thing to detect life on mars (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_lander_biological_experiments#Controversy)

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007

Vermain posted:

i've lately been thinking about the rare earth hypothesis and have been wondering if the converse might be true: maybe the reason we haven't spotted other, intelligent life is simply that the milky way is a loving statistical basket case and every other galaxy looks like your average game of stellaris

We all know there's nothing your average goon loves more than turning off all enemy AI and building tall for 'roleplaying' purposes.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
SPECULATING MORONS: THE THREAD

edit: (now for the first time in a Something Awful Dot Com Thread!)

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

LRADIKAL posted:

:byewhore:

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

LRADIKAL posted:

Lmoa what the gently caress are you in cspam for then

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Jetto Jagga posted:

Lmoa what the gently caress are you in cspam for then

Presumably to be angry at things, which is the other primary function of cspam

usually it's at least things worth being angry about, though

Anyway I look forward to LRADIKAL's QCS thread

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Sorry, I didn't find this thread through the subforum. Judging from the thread titles it's like FYAD for politics babies. Sorry, context matters. I guess I agree, reality is a nightmare and we're going to die.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

get out

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
no u

edit: penus

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Spergin Morlock posted:

yea his ban was bullshit lol

it was a permaban on a decently old account with no bad history, for saying the phrase in the name of this wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abrahamic_religions

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

LRADIKAL posted:

no u

edit: penus

How the gently caress have you been on this shitass website for 2 decades and you suck so bad at posting? You shoulda gotten some good posting via osmosis at this point but you're some kinda hosed up idiot???

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Hatebag posted:

How the gently caress have you been on this shitass website for 2 decades and you suck so bad at posting? You shoulda gotten some good posting via osmosis at this point but you're some kinda hosed up idiot???

And his poo poo's all USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I don't wanna be mean if you got some kind of problem though

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT!

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Jetto Jagga posted:

And his poo poo's all USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST

He doesn't even have any honorable bans. I feel like nobody should be mean to him, he is like a stray duckling hissing at a daisy

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
you get banned for cussing a lot of times. I guess i have a lot to learn!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Hatebag posted:

he is like a stray duckling hissing at a daisy

Lmao

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

free cuppy tea 100% gently caress da mods...guessing a qcs thread isnt going to work tho, sorry cuppy

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

We should all endeavor to be nice at each other, even when disagreeing. I'm sorry i impugned your posting acumen

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
the aliens gave us this moment of PLUR

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

im a rude crude posting dude ill tell you to get out or maybe even say your posting is gross

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Hatebag posted:

Venus has a lovely magnetosphere but probably has life just because such a hot planet would be producing subsurface life for millions of years. Probably not anything intelligent though, so not much different than earth

Right it's just germs if it's anything, but holy poo poo, alien germs. And what if it's related to tardigrades or some other extremophile that we recognize down here? Like, holy gently caress.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
do u think the martian fungius is psychoactive

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

LRADIKAL posted:

Ok so what's your Certified Real Answer

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Inspector Hound posted:

Right it's just germs if it's anything, but holy poo poo, alien germs. And what if it's related to tardigrades or some other extremophile that we recognize down here? Like, holy gently caress.

Earliest life on earth was 3.7B years ago and the moon impact was 3.5B years ago, so if life went from earth to venus they woulda had to be some tough boys to survive. I'd assume venus would have been capable of having life formed on it independently

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Inspector Hound posted:

Ok so what's your Certified Real Answer

Meme's and religious style believing what you want to be true. (also, it might be a psyop)

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Inspector Hound posted:

https://www.livescience.com/tardigrades-survive-being-shot-gun.html !!!

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Mola Yam posted:

do u think the martian fungius is psychoactive

I think it's probably rocks covered by pebbles that blow around in the limited martian wind.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Hatebag posted:

Earliest life on earth was 3.7B years ago and the moon impact was 3.5B years ago, so if life went from earth to venus they woulda had to be some tough boys to survive. I'd assume venus would have been capable of having life formed on it independently

!!!! Indeed! This was what I was thinking of, like what on Earth (or not on Earth??) is the point, from a standpoint of evolution, of being able to survive something that insane? It's a heck of an accidental bonus if it's just a glitch of evolution.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
There's for sure life on other planets, but, like, sort of freaking us out over multiple generations? It's like GOD, they work in mysterious ways.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

BeefThief posted:

I think it's probably rocks covered by pebbles that blow around in the limited martian wind.

they ain't blowin', they growin'

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mola Yam posted:

they ain't blowin', they growin'

fake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Inspector Hound posted:

!!!! Indeed! This was what I was thinking of, like what on Earth (or not on Earth??) is the point, from a standpoint of evolution, of being able to survive something that insane? It's a heck of an accidental bonus if it's just a glitch of evolution.

Tardigrades only date from 145 mya though, and they eat other earth things. They are cool as hell, but they're basically progenitors of arthropod evolution. They gave rise to a bunch of different gross bugs and they survived all the previous mass extinctions