Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

pour one out for kepler

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1396066903874056192

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Oh no, all those GT 710s people are Stepping Up won't have driver support anymore! :ohdear:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

My GTX 650 :(

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i wonder if anyone is still clinging to kepler cards as a cheap source of FP64 horsepower

the titan black still has 4x the FP64 FLOPS of the 3080

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
some of us are still running our GTX 760s because we did a new build last year and thought it would be smart to wait until after the 30 series came out to buy the GPU…

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Zoran posted:

some of us are still running our GTX 760s because we did a new build last year and thought it would be smart to wait until after the 30 series came out to buy the GPU…
Ouch.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

What are the chances Nvidia will put this LHR thing on future card releases? Or are we doomed to repeat this bullshit and I will never own a current gen, unused card at a decent price?

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

They should have done this when people have an ability to upgrade. Does this essentially brick a card?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Purgatory Glory posted:

They should have done this when people have an ability to upgrade. Does this essentially brick a card?

it doesn't kill a card - no more driver updates just mean that eventually there are games that won't work on a Kepler (GTX 600/700 series) card if they come out after the final drivers for that card have been released

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

latinotwink1997 posted:

What are the chances Nvidia will put this LHR thing on future card releases? Or are we doomed to repeat this bullshit and I will never own a current gen, unused card at a decent price?

probably about 100% so long as eth remains the dominant mining card - i would honestly expect it to be expanded rather than curtailed unless crypto died died.

i'm not a miner and never will be but there are plenty of technology or privacy enthusiasts who find the lockout reprehensible conceptually, comparing it to DRM - i do understand that perspective. to solve a short term problem they've signalled their willingness to severely limit the consumer grade cards at specific applications. this has always been true at the highest end/prosumer market but it feels new down here. i don't love slippery slope arguments but i can see why they're being thrown at LHR.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Purgatory Glory posted:

Not. It just means no new driver updates. Maybe in 6 months some badly made title won't work well or at all on 7-9 year old GPUs.

latinotwink1997 posted:

You're not going to be able to get cards at a "good" price for a long time if ever because :
Performance leaps as large as Ampere are less and less frequent these days.
Nvidia will probably never sell a GPU with as good value at time of launch as the RTX 3080 FE ever again. It was underpriced even without any of the factors driving up demand.
Money printer has gone brrr and the inflation cat is out of the bag, so prices are going to keep going up. This also has a knock-on effect of driving up costs via crypto demand because people want the gently caress out of the dollar and for people in the GPU market crypto is an easy target.
Governments love tariffs and protectionism so those aren't going away any time soon.
The semiconductor industry won't be able to keep up with demand for at least 5-7 years.
Gaming, especially PC gaming, continues to grow.

Crypto is a factor in this current crunch, but the days of decent $300 GPUs are probably gone forever. Say supply normalizes in 2 years, I still expect what used to be the $250-300 position in the market to be $500.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 22, 2021

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

K8.0 posted:

Not. It just means no new driver updates. Maybe in 6 months some badly made title won't work well or at all on 7-9 year old GPUs.

Had exactly this with the GTX470 in my ancient rig that I've given to my eldest to play the Lego games on. Occasionally randomly blue screens which is probably down to driver support being withdrawn a couple of years ago.

Luckily a guy at work was flogging an unused GTX1080 for £150 so I snapped that poo poo up. Struggling to flog the 470 on Facebook market place for even £10.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Oh no, all those GT 710s people are Stepping Up won't have driver support anymore! :ohdear:

Didn't they just restart production on 710s or am I imagining that?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think the GT 1010 is supposed to replace the 710 in the trash card market, but I still haven't seen any for sale. Maybe now that Kepler is truly EOL.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The 1030 is also pretty reliably in stock, at least around here. Bit more expensive sure but a card's a card.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

BIG HEADLINE posted:

GT710? Excuse me it's the 210 lol

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

If the overall price continues to rise I hope the 3030 or whatever gets NVENC, that's the situation that's getting out of control, especially with it technically requiring a "driver hack" to get unlimited transcode streams on incredibly powerful supercards.

As it is the 1030 GT doesn't encode which always felt a little cheesy, since the Kepler GT 730 apparently has some basic access??

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

K8.0 posted:

You're not going to be able to get cards at a "good" price for a long time if ever because :
Performance leaps as large as Ampere are less and less frequent these days.
Nvidia will probably never sell a GPU with as good value at time of launch as the RTX 3080 FE ever again. It was underpriced even without any of the factors driving up demand.
Money printer has gone brrr and the inflation cat is out of the bag, so prices are going to keep going up. This also has a knock-on effect of driving up costs via crypto demand because people want the gently caress out of the dollar and for people in the GPU market crypto is an easy target.
Governments love tariffs and protectionism so those aren't going away any time soon.
The semiconductor industry won't be able to keep up with demand for at least 5-7 years.
Gaming, especially PC gaming, continues to grow.

Crypto is a factor in this current crunch, but the days of decent $300 GPUs are probably gone forever. Say supply normalizes in 2 years, I still expect what used to be the $250-300 position in the market to be $500.

I guess I should have clarified. By “decent price” I meant more along the lines of “MSRP”. I was all ready to plop down $850 on a 3080. I’m running a 970 still that I was hoping to change to a 1080TI way back but that stopped selling before I had the chance. I’m not interested in buying used for multiple reasons. I didn’t trust the 2000 series stuff, what with being new tech for RT, so I decided to skip it. And now I can’t get the latest and greatest without paying some poo poo scalper for one at exorbitant markup.

The money isn’t the problem, it’s the enabling people to continue selling them like that that I hate. It was the same thing when quarantine happened. I wanted a webcam to chat with friends but they all got bought up by scalpers. Took months to get the one I wanted.

I just want to pay normal store price.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

latinotwink1997 posted:

I just want to pay normal store price.

That "normal" price was lower than it would have been because Nvidia assumed that AMD had something that could compete with them and priced themselves lower than they should have. And then the Radeon guys got on stage two weeks later and went "surprise, it's all bluster!" That's kind of the point. Nvidia thought their years of being way out ahead of AMD was at an end and that graphics cards were a two team race again, but actually no AMD is still selling cards that were groundbreaking two years ago and nobody wants them except for guys who want to post on message boards about how they're standing up to the monopolies of PC hardware by "joining Team Red".

K8.0 really oversells the government policy angles of this stuff and it's only because this isn't D&D that I don't throw down with him (I believe he's also repeated my favorite teeth-grinder, that you can't get a card because of stimulus checks) but he isn't wrong that Nvidia launched the 3080 at a price that misread the room.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 22, 2021

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

The 6000 series cards are completely fine for playing video games. Are they missing some of the fancy nvidia software? Hell yeah, but the raster performance is competitive or better. The problem with amd is their board partners jacked prices up, but reference pricing is just fine.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Nvidia thought their years of being way out ahead of AMD was at an end and that graphics cards were a two team race again, but actually no AMD is still selling cards that were groundbreaking two years ago

AMD's current cards are competitive in raster performance, something that hasn't happened in a long time. If they had been released 2 years ago, they would have been well ahead of the fastest cards available.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Craptacular! posted:

K8.0 really oversells the government policy angles of this stuff and it's only because this isn't D&D that I don't throw down with him (I believe he's also repeated my favorite teeth-grinder, that you can't get a card because of stimulus checks) but he isn't wrong that Nvidia launched the 3080 at a price that misread the room.

well i mean it did and it didn't. the partners were howling that they couldn't manufacture profitably at these price points, they were significantly reduced contrasted with the last major generation and they pushed the absolute hell out of that in the messaging, rightly so. i can absolutely say i was influenced to buy a 3070 for ~£600 and get a card that could face off with the 2080ti which launched at a loving obscene uk price of £1,099 and anyone who bought the £479 MSRP were probably even more enticed. they sold this generation on price and we bought in despite that being nowhere near what they promised.

none of this was an accident and they knew exactly what they were doing - AMD is genuinely is competitive this gen but the actual price they were trying to fight off was the very cost efficient new consoles. they did the same with the 900 series in response to the PS4 era, they don't want to lose momentum. no one predicted the pandemic in their modelling (obviously) and without it their decisions make sense. like generals they were preparing for the last war of the 20 series launch when they underperformed and overcharged. and i'm not sure the decisions they made were wrong.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

jisforjosh posted:

GT710? Excuse me it's the 210 lol

Speaking of which, there's a 210 on Amazon that is "Shipped by Amazon" but lists some other company as the seller. How does that square with EVGA's authorized retailer requirement?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

Speaking of which, there's a 210 on Amazon that is "Shipped by Amazon" but lists some other company as the seller. How does that square with EVGA's authorized retailer requirement?

It has to be sold by Amazon too AFAIK.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

First miners, then scalpers, and now the military has come for our GPUs.

quote:

To do this, MarineAI is using a huge IBM AC922 supercomputer, "a monster, one of the biggest in the South-West of England" Mr Thompson boasts. In contrast the on-board brain of the submarine resides in a 15cm square box and relies on an Nvidia chip often found driving computer games.

"We built it off the back of the Nvidia chip because it's highly energy efficient," says Mr Thompson. Just like a tiny but powerful Raspberry Pi device used to teach schoolchildren basic programming tasks this approach takes up very little power. And keeping power consumption to the bare minimum is critical to making the submarine's battery last.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Maybe Nvidia should put a “you can’t kill anyone with this” clause in their software.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Craptacular! posted:

Maybe Nvidia should put a “you can’t kill anyone with this” clause in their software.

it would explain my apex stats :v:

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Regrettable posted:

It has to be sold by Amazon too AFAIK.

Not that I’d endorse this, because certainly the property rights of multi billion dollar companies like EVGA and Amazon must always be protected, but what is keeping someone from changing the seller on their invoice with a quick cut and paste from a previous invoice of something you bought direct from Amazon?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

bloodysabbath posted:

Not that I’d endorse this, because certainly the property rights of multi billion dollar companies like EVGA and Amazon must always be protected, but what is keeping someone from changing the seller on their invoice with a quick cut and paste from a previous invoice of something you bought direct from Amazon?

I assume the manufacturer has a record of whether it sold the card with that serial number to that retailer

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Craptacular! posted:

Does anyone remember the iTunes EULA stating that the software couldn’t be used for nuclear missiles or biological warfare

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Craptacular! posted:

Another blow to end-user freedoms, this is the slippery slope we were warned about :mad:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

buglord posted:

Does anyone remember the iTunes EULA stating that the software couldn’t be used for nuclear missiles or biological warfare
Look you better loving believe I'm going to turn on Dragula as I launch the nukes. Try and stop me, Apple!

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

ShopBLT has 10 LHR listings from EVGA up now.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

That "normal" price was lower than it would have been because Nvidia assumed that AMD had something that could compete with them and priced themselves lower than they should have. And then the Radeon guys got on stage two weeks later and went "surprise, it's all bluster!" That's kind of the point. Nvidia thought their years of being way out ahead of AMD was at an end and that graphics cards were a two team race again, but actually no AMD is still selling cards that were groundbreaking two years ago and nobody wants them except for guys who want to post on message boards about how they're standing up to the monopolies of PC hardware by "joining Team Red".

Still doesn’t change the fact I’d rather pay the price the manufacturer sets, whether it be $850 or $1850 than have some scalper forcing me to pay more and profiting from it. It’s the principle of the matter.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Whoa the queue lengths on some of those now :stare:

Really thankful this thread helped me get a position in the low 20s for a 3070.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

FlamingLiberal posted:

Look you better loving believe I'm going to turn on Dragula as I launch the nukes. Try and stop me, Apple!

Shame on you.

The clearly superior track would be Electric Six - Gay Bar.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Shame on you.

Pretty certain that entire album references nuclear war in every track so you really can't miss.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

latinotwink1997 posted:

Still doesn’t change the fact I’d rather pay the price the manufacturer sets, whether it be $850 or $1850 than have some scalper forcing me to pay more and profiting from it. It’s the principle of the matter.

Same. I'd rather pay Newegg $150 for a power supply that's going straight into the trash *than give the same to a scalper

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 23, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Shame on you.

While both of those are reasonable suggestions, I think it should be this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

Same. I'd rather pay Newegg $150 for a power supply that's going straight into the trash and the same to a scalper

Back in November when the price premium on a 3080 was "only" 2x MSRP this was pretty much what lead me to get a 3090 instead. I'll be damned if I let some middleman make 100% profit off nothing but running a bot to buy something first.