Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Payndz posted:

It's funny in hindsight that Clint's biggest critics in his heyday absolutely hated him because "he's not an actor, he doesn't do anything, he expends the minimum effort possible in front of the camera!", and now it's universally accepted that's exactly why he was so iconic - he didn't need to. He dominated the screen just by being on it. There aren't many megastars who have that same minimalism and yet absolutely draw the viewer's attention: maybe Cary Grant, John Wayne, Arnold?

Ryan Gosling has been making bank sitting in cars looking beat up and vaguely sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Wyatt Russell is, I'm sure, a fine actor, but once I noticed that his voice sounds extremely similar to that of Timothy Simons (Jonah from Veep) I am going to have a hard time taking him seriously

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is it the same reboot that had that anime spin off from the animation studio that did MD Geist?

i don't think that had anything to do with the reboot - that movie predated Lionsgate* getting the remake rights by a year or so

*technically it was Summit which was then acquired by Lionsgate a few years later but who cares

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Payndz posted:

It's funny in hindsight that Clint's biggest critics in his heyday absolutely hated him because "he's not an actor, he doesn't do anything, he expends the minimum effort possible in front of the camera!", and now it's universally accepted that's exactly why he was so iconic - he didn't need to. He dominated the screen just by being on it. There aren't many megastars who have that same minimalism and yet absolutely draw the viewer's attention: maybe Cary Grant, John Wayne, Arnold?

It's also a reflection of what his most iconic roles happened to be. The Man with No Name especially is a silent badass who exudes power by standing there; Clint Eastwood's scowl does a lot of heavy lifting, but Leone's style as a filmmaker really supports that. Lots of slow, tense stand-offs, and wordless exchanges where you really dwell on his posturing. Filmmakers doing that today are more or less engaging with pastiche or purposeful reference: Tarantino, or something like Logan or The Mandalorian (which is especially funny because it's just a goddamn helmet.)

Otherwise, I don't see an Eastwood type working in a modern action-y blockbuster thing. Something like an MCU movie is half comedy now...a stern, silent badass type becomes Drax in that environment.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/ComicBookNOW/status/1395525998012157959?s=20

didnt even realize Thora was back (havent watched Walking Dead in ages) so hopefully she kicked her dad to the curb

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Are they stealing the plot from spelunky 2 where Indiana goes to space then he kids and dog have to go rescue him?

As long as Shia Labeouf is replaced with a leather jacket wearing sloth I'm on board.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The MSJ posted:

There is a rumored Indiana Jones 5 plot leak and guess who Madds Mikkelsen is apparently playing? A Nazi scientist!

To elaborate, his character is working with Nasa under Operation Paper Clip and he wants to get to the moon for some sinister reason. Who wants to bet there's going to be ancient ruins there?
Disney's just copying themselves at this point

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The source of that Indy 5 “leak” is the Illuminerdi, a site nearly as worthless and click-baity as WeGotThisCovered.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The source of that Indy 5 “leak” is the Illuminerdi, a site nearly as worthless and click-baity as WeGotThisCovered.

That's just how modern leaks are done. You tweet and post whatever you come up with and then ride the twitter clout when you finally get it right.

Or at least that's how it works with videogames

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I would prefer that Mads plays a robot scientist of some kind who is trying to find and neutralize Dracula.

That would be cool.

A stealth Castlevania movie where Indy uses his whip a lot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
La-Mulana movie I think you mean

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Indy Jones finds that the fossil in question that he was in search of this whole time was....himself

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

He finds a collection of mosquitos in amber and it's a stealth Jurassic Park prequel

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I wouldn't have said no to Indy punching moon nazi's though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The nazis and the soviets pursue him and he says “both sides actually”

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The MSJ posted:

There is a rumored Indiana Jones 5 plot leak and guess who Madds Mikkelsen is apparently playing? A Nazi scientist!

To elaborate, his character is working with Nasa under Operation Paper Clip and he wants to get to the moon for some sinister reason. Who wants to bet there's going to be ancient ruins there?

According to Crystal Skull, Indy worked for the OSS in World War II so if anything, he would have been the one helping rescue all the Nazi scientists in 1945/

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

It's canon that Indy is horrible. He's a murderous cultural heritage thief and a pedophile.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

Indy Jones finds that the fossil in question that he was in search of this whole time was....himself

I belong in a museum!

gently caress, this joke probably gets made all the time

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Indiana Jones feels so weird in 2021. Like the whole point of it is as a teardown/mashup of a bunch of 1940s/50s pulp serials. But it's generations later and none of that is anything anymore. So it's just this weird stand alone character separated from it's origin. Like he's more recognizable than the things he was riffing off. So what is even worth writing him doing?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Indiana Jones feels so weird in 2021. Like the whole point of it is as a teardown/mashup of a bunch of 1940s/50s pulp serials. But it's generations later and none of that is anything anymore. So it's just this weird stand alone character separated from it's origin. Like he's more recognizable than the things he was riffing off. So what is even worth writing him doing?

Return all the artifacts he has stolen, work his rear end off to pay for the untold damage he has caused.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The Flash Gordon television program feels so weird in 1954. Like the whole point of it is based on a book rooted in the works of Verne and Wells at the turn of the century. But it's generations later and none of that is anything anymore. So it's just this weird stand alone character separated from it's origin. Like he's more recognizable than the things he was riffing off. So what is even worth writing him doing?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The Klowner posted:

The Flash Gordon television program feels so weird in 1954. Like the whole point of it is based on a book rooted in the works of Verne and Wells at the turn of the century. But it's generations later and none of that is anything anymore. So it's just this weird stand alone character separated from it's origin. Like he's more recognizable than the things he was riffing off. So what is even worth writing him doing?

And where is Flash Gordon now?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://www.wsj.com/articles/hobby-lobby-president-to-return-11-500-antiquities-to-iraq-and-egypt-11585324494

Artifacts are still being stolen in modern times, plenty of room for an Indiana Jones, just more covert and even scummier.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'd watch a Defenders of the Earth movie.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/hobby-lobby-president-to-return-11-500-antiquities-to-iraq-and-egypt-11585324494

Artifacts are still being stolen in modern times, plenty of room for an Indiana Jones, just more covert and even scummier.

That's basically the premise of Tomb Raider, lol.

OK, it's more complicated than that, but it is explicit in one of the newer games that Lara's parents looted artifacts from around the world and kept them in their private collection, and I don't think the game had a very strong sense that there was anything wrong with that.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 22, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gonz posted:

I would prefer that Mads plays a robot scientist of some kind who is trying to find and neutralize Dracula.

Someone get Scott on the phone, I've got the plot for his third Prometheus film.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Worked for Star Wars.

To a point, anyway.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Silver2195 posted:

OK, it's more complicated than that, but it is explicit in one of the newer games that Lara's parents looted artifacts from around the world and kept them in their private collection, and I don't think the game had a very strong sense that there was anything wrong with that.

Hitman 2 had the final story targets be obvious Lara Croft riffs who are thrill-killing thieves and murderers. (and one of them on-off dating an obvious Nathan Drake riff)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Grendels Dad posted:

ALIIIIIIIIIVE, of course!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

Brian Blessed threatened to hunt down and murder anyone who tried to remake it
https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/flash-gordon-40-sam-j-jones-brian-blessed-interview-135843361.html

They tried to placate him by offering him a cameo and he told them to gently caress off. :v:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Man, I loving love Brian Blessed.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It’s not hard to make Indy not a thief. Just have him expressly doing things at the behest of the locals. When he says “belongs in a museum” it’s for the Egyptian national museum instead of London.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

galagazombie posted:

It’s not hard to make Indy not a thief. Just have him expressly doing things at the behest of the locals. When he says “belongs in a museum” it’s for the Egyptian national museum instead of London.

Right, he can retrieve stolen historical artifacts of cultural significance and return them to their rightful owners! Just like noted Good Indiana Jones movie... *checks notes* Temple of Doom? :confused:

I actually legit like that one

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, the last game, Shadow of the Tomb Raider was especially bad about that. Laura loots and loots and kills hundreds of Innocents in her insatiable lootlust. Finally the main villain confronts her and explains how her actions will lead the inevitable cultural genocide of his undiscovered indigenous people and her answer was more or less "What about how I feel!"

It was so insanely tone deaf I can imagine there were two scripts, the first of which deconstructed her role as a British Imperialist smash and grab looter, and some suit said no, and we ended up with her doing exactly that without any of the examination.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Worked for Star Wars.

To a point, anyway.

Like 40 years ago.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Chairman Capone posted:

According to Crystal Skull, Indy worked for the OSS in World War II so if anything, he would have been the one helping rescue all the Nazi scientists in 1945/
All the more reason to give Indy a personal stake in correcting his mistake

Thundercracker posted:

Yeah, the last game, Shadow of the Tomb Raider was especially bad about that. Laura loots and loots and kills hundreds of Innocents in her insatiable lootlust. Finally the main villain confronts her and explains how her actions will lead the inevitable cultural genocide of his undiscovered indigenous people and her answer was more or less "What about how I feel!"

It was so insanely tone deaf I can imagine there were two scripts, the first of which deconstructed her role as a British Imperialist smash and grab looter, and some suit said no, and we ended up with her doing exactly that without any of the examination.
Wait didn't Rise of the Tomb Raider give her an explicit moral justification for her raiding - that she was trying to stop a doomsday cult that were themselves trying to find and piece together ancient artifacts of great power that would allow them to end the world?

Whatever happened to that?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

it belongs in a Hobby Lobby!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The United States posted:

Wait didn't Rise of the Tomb Raider give her an explicit moral justification for her raiding - that she was trying to stop a doomsday cult that were themselves trying to find and piece together ancient artifacts of great power that would allow them to end the world?

Whatever happened to that?

That's still the case in Shadow, its just that Lara considers that a fringe benefit to avenging her rich dad.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Outside of Lara avenging what she thinks is Jonah’s death I don’t think Shadow was that violent. A major complaint people had of the first game in the reboot series was that Lara mowed down too many cultists and there weren’t enough puzzles. Shadow on the other hand has much improved tomb puzzles, and a lot of new stealth mechanics, but not many enemies to use them on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Scrooge McDuck was doing it first. (the iconic Raiders scene is ripped straight from a comic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
IDK with the tomb raider reboot I still saw it as a bit of a deconstruction - in the second game she's going completely off the rails with no one around to keep her sane, completely disregarding the island people ande it kind of plays it as "she's been so badly broken by her experiences in the first game that she's lost her humanity" - I saw the third game as "Because Jonah's around, he's doing his best to keep her somewhat human, but after his supposed death she completely falls off the cliff into total monster, but to the extent that she end up getting her revenge on the company that tore her family apart by becoming ONE of the ancient weird zombie warriors and following them into battle. A bit white savioury of course but I thought it was an interesting contrast.