Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

meanolmrcloud posted:

Army had...a lot of things that didn’t need to be there. It’s also a weird mixup of a heist movie, which should be fun and a non-horror zombie movie, which should also be fun, but it’s just depressing.

True. But I didn't really expect it to be a feel good movie. Most of these movies aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

RestingB1tchFace posted:

True. But I didn't really expect it to be a feel good movie. Most of these movies aren't.

I think he means the experience of watching the movie was depressing, not the content of the movie.

I was pretty disappointed in Army as well. The intro montage of the zombies taking over Vegas was awesome, as was the scene of trying to sneak past the sleeping zombies, but the rest was pretty meh.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Class Warcraft posted:

I think he means the experience of watching the movie was depressing, not the content of the movie.

I was pretty disappointed in Army as well. The intro montage of the zombies taking over Vegas was awesome, as was the scene of trying to sneak past the sleeping zombies, but the rest was pretty meh.

True. Would have been nice if it hadn't been so formulaic.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

This is a real dull take on zombies

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

like they went to the trouble to introduce a whole new type of zombie that that are smart and move fast. but all they do is hang out in the lobby of a hotel, roar at each other, then die en masse by running into gunfire, just like all the other zombies

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
On a whim I checked out Iron Sky on Prime, a movie where Nazis on the moon plan an invasion of Earth. Now to me, modern goofy high-concept stuff like this always sends up red flags, and there's always the risk of fetishizing the Nazi poo poo*, but... this works? It's definitely a comedy, with some very broad political satire but also some bits that actually kinda land. There are a couple of scenes where the US President, running for re-election (in 2018, which I have to assume they specifically chose to make clear that this is all wacky), starts listening to a couple of moon Nazi infiltrators and makes speeches about Purity and Homeland and rockets up in the polls, and though the movie doesn't stay with that for too long it's a nice touch. Like, it's a stupid movie but not where it counts?

*Oh yeah this isn't an issue. The Nazis are backstabbing idiots and their tech is all gloriously overwrought and impractical.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Class Warcraft posted:

like they went to the trouble to introduce a whole new type of zombie that that are smart and move fast. but all they do is hang out in the lobby of a hotel, roar at each other, then die en masse by running into gunfire, just like all the other zombies

#alive did a really good job of smart zombies that were genuinely intimidating

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

RestingB1tchFace posted:

How many "Dead" movies have you seen? There's rarely a whole lot for development or backstory.

Probably didn't need to be 2.5 hours long....but I thought it was pretty badass. Exactly what I expected from a big budget, Zack Snyder 'Dead' movie.

https://twitter.com/moviedetail/status/1395950821930639361?s=19

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

RestingB1tchFace posted:

How many "Dead" movies have you seen? There's rarely a whole lot for development or backstory.

Probably didn't need to be 2.5 hours long....but I thought it was pretty badass. Exactly what I expected from a big budget, Zack Snyder 'Dead' movie.

Ive liked the Romero movies Ive seen.

Snyder's Dawn of the Dead had characters I actually liked.

E: one thing I wish they explored was how they were all civilians that turned into traumatized yet effective soldiers by the zombie attack.

The way the made the husband from Medium in Dawn of the Dead a deadbeat dude that rose to th occassion bc of the apocalypse in Dawn. This movie didnt have any cool scenes where the characters talked amongst themselves like that.

Like every Snyder movie since Dawn, this script is the pits

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 22, 2021

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I hate it about as much as suckerpunch

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Personally I would like it very much if movies that would be pretty good if they were eighty minutes long went for ninety/hundred twenty minutes again

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 22, 2021

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Maxwell Lord posted:

On a whim I checked out Iron Sky on Prime, a movie where Nazis on the moon plan an invasion of Earth. Now to me, modern goofy high-concept stuff like this always sends up red flags, and there's always the risk of fetishizing the Nazi poo poo*, but... this works? It's definitely a comedy, with some very broad political satire but also some bits that actually kinda land.

I felt a bit the other way: it was so consciously ridiculous and stupid that I'd hoped to be massively entertained by some B grace shlock, but in the end found it just alright. It does have some pieces that land well, I grant you. What are the sequels like?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Army of the Dead is way too long and the ending is some year-00 poo poo.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Junkie Disease posted:

I hate it about as much as suckerpunch

Sounds like you don’t hate Sucker Punch nearly enough

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

nonathlon posted:

I felt a bit the other way: it was so consciously ridiculous and stupid that I'd hoped to be massively entertained by some B grace shlock, but in the end found it just alright. It does have some pieces that land well, I grant you. What are the sequels like?

I remember reading (and I might be misremembering completely) that it was sort of made up of bits and pieces written by different people online, so you get wildly different types of scenes that vary in style of humor and quality.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
All I will say about Army of Dead, what a bland movie and the one person that 100% deserved to die didn’t.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I have been bingeing Line of Duty since seeing a few of you talk about it a week or so ago. Just finished season three and that was one hell of a season and a particularly great finale. Would recommend the show to anyone looking for a police procedural/thriller.

Edit: Hell Yeah! Thandwie Newton in season four!

Tainen fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 23, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

nate fisher posted:

All I will say about Army of Dead, what a bland movie and the one person that 100% deserved to die didn’t.

I'm starting to wonder if this Snyder guy is a bad director or something! ;)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shageletic posted:

E: one thing I wish they explored was how they were all civilians that turned into traumatized yet effective soldiers by the zombie attack.

The way the made the husband from Medium in Dawn of the Dead a deadbeat dude that rose to th occassion bc of the apocalypse in Dawn. This movie didnt have any cool scenes where the characters talked amongst themselves like that.
I didn't get the impression of that at all. Like I definitely thought the core team were all soldiers who fought in the "zombie wars" and then were discarded when the government abandoned Vegas. But I also feel like the film is so intentionally vague about timeline that's it kind of impossible to say much about the background definitively. Like was Batista's family flashback at the start of the outbreak? After he'd been discarded? During the efforts to take back Vegas? It felt like it was intentionally confusing on those kinds of questions to keep the door open for whatever spinoffs they want to do.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Tainen posted:

I have been bingeing Line of Duty since seeing a few of you talk about it a week or so ago. Just finished season three and that was one hell of a season and a particularly great finale. Would recommend the show to anyone looking for a police procedural/thriller.

Edit: Hell Yeah! Thandwie Newton in season four!

I just finished season 6 and idk why people hated it. I thought the ending was pretty good.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I didn't get the impression of that at all. Like I definitely thought the core team were all soldiers who fought in the "zombie wars" and then were discarded when the government abandoned Vegas. But I also feel like the film is so intentionally vague about timeline that's it kind of impossible to say much about the background definitively. Like was Batista's family flashback at the start of the outbreak? After he'd been discarded? During the efforts to take back Vegas? It felt like it was intentionally confusing on those kinds of questions to keep the door open for whatever spinoffs they want to do.

Im just going by the soccer mom turning into a commando and saving her kid before being splattered by abox (lol I wish they explored her character). Then Bautista's main henchwoman being a woman that was on a business magazine before the zombie attack.

Bautista wasnt with soldiers he was those folks and a PHD dude that wielded a saw. They didnt strike me as military and that is potentially super interesting.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I thought Army of the Dead was fine...true, duller than it should've been, but I didn't even really feel the length that much. When it really wanted to get gory boy did it go there, just not as often as you'd think. I liked the characters, I even liked the setup (not that there was anything we haven't already seen in plenty of other movies like this), but it just needed way more spectacle and visual flair (which is about all I expect Zack Snyder to successfully execute in any given movie).
Without a doubt one of his least memorable films (which is impressive considering there's a loving zombie tiger and a nuclear detonation). Sucker Punch is worse, but it's definitely more memorable.

It had some Snyder hallmarks like being a bit bloated (you really shouldnt ever be making a loving 2 and a half hour popcorn flick) and having bad cover songs, but it was okay. It works fine as a drunk/high watch or something you put on in the background.

It's to be expected with a Snyder movie going in that there is a distinct possibility either the trailer or the intro credits will be better than the actual film. It held true for this movie, though unfortunately the intro and credits while the best part also weren't as good as other Crowning Snyder Moments in Cinema like "the intro credits for Watchmen and Dawn of the Dead" or "the trailer for Watchmen" or "the trailer for 300" or "the trailer for Man of Steel".
It had its moments though, I thought some of the emotional moments even kinda worked and Tig & the German guy were sometimes kinda sorta amusing. I got a real kick out of "This marked a reversal of his earlier position that dropping the nuke on the Fourth would be, quote, 'Really cool, and the ultimate fireworks show' and quote 'Actually kind of patriotic if you think about it.'" lmao

As it is I thought it was okay entertainment in terms of just like, stupid action movie. There are worse movies, like The Old Guard or Train to Busan (the praise over which I'll seriously never loving understand). I'm putting the Busan praise solely on it being foreign adding some level of gravitas for Western audiences, cuz if you just took that movie exactly, shot for shot, performance for performance, retaining its..."quality"... and made it American then it'd just be the most cliche basic rear end Hollywood zombie movie. It really wasn't very good at all, I know that's a very unpopular opinion but I thought it was suuuuuuuuper cornball.
Apparently that's exactly what they're doing (American remake), which is like...jesus Hollywood, you make a couple Train to Busans every year. What's the point? Are you really banking on name recognition?

I did think the Alphas were super loving goofy and lame though....I know other movies have done more with the concept, but everything they did past the original one in the cool opening ripping through soldiers was just like...incredibly cringey and awkward in my eyes.
Again, I'm sure other movies can and have done interesting things with intelligent zombies but there was just something about the Alphas where I was honestly relieved when most of them just ended up mindlessly charging like normal zombies...everything "smart" they did just continually reminded me they were just some like, stupid dude in makeup.

As for Van it's ok man, I mean, you were gonna die a super cancer death anyway. Just off yourself before the plane lands.

Apparently loving Dieter is filming some sort of prequel (he has some German comedy as a previous directing credit)?? How bizarre. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_of_Thieves

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Is the rest of Suckerpunch like that Love is A Drug scene? Id adore a musical thats entirely like that.

Im also a fan of Moulin Rouge lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Train to Busan has an interesting first act and a balls out fun second act before withering in the third. That second act is full of cool scenes snd is largely held up like literally by that muscles dude

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

Is the rest of Suckerpunch like that Love is A Drug scene? Id adore a musical thats entirely like that.

Im also a fan of Moulin Rouge lol

Sucker Punch is some total nonsense with very questionable gender politics but is also the only film of his that I'd say I actually enjoyed watching

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Train
To
Busan
Has memorable characters and well shot action vs army of the dead.
Sure Trains got a simpler drama but the story wasn't held together by tape.
Unlike army of the deads...lets have a heist as cover for a heist we don't need cover for in a lawless wasteland, that's just the tip that whole story, oh God the dumb baby...all of it was just so bad

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Alright in Army of the Dead what the hell was that random robot zombie all about? It was never addressed at all?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Aphex- posted:

Alright in Army of the Dead what the hell was that random robot zombie all about? It was never addressed at all?

This was secretly a crossover with Resident Evil.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Aphex- posted:

"I really wanted this sort of weird ambiguity to their origins — which, of course, we'll explore in the animated series, Army of the Dead: Lost Vegas," he continued. "And without giving away too much... If you pay close attention, there's a number of zombies that are clearly not zombies. You see normal zombies and then you see some robot zombies. Are they monitors that the government has placed among the zombies to monitor them? Are they technology from the other world? What's happening there?"

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 23, 2021

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

"Which of course is stupid"

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I watched Let's Dance on netflix (the 2019 French movie). It was delightfully stupid. This movie is to dancing what The Core was to geology. It's like the writers had heard of professional dance studios but never actually encountered one before. It was trying so hard to be moving and profound, but just came across as too lazy to even do the typical dance movie cliches properly. The funniest part was where the loose-cannon hip-hop dancer takes the prim-and-proper ballet dancer on a date and they go to see.....The Nutcracker. Nothing against The Nutcracker, but this ballet girl has probably been in a performance of the Nutcracker every year of her life. It would be like dating a wedding planner and taking them to a performance of Pachelbel's Canon. It could work if the movie played it as a joke, but it seems more like that's the only ballet footage the producers bothered to find. There are plenty of much better dance movies out there with much better dancing too, but I haven't seen one as laughably bad as this.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Junkie Disease posted:

"Which of course is stupid"

Haha

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Randomly throwing in aliens, robots, and timeloops without any further elaboration or explanation is Army of the Dead's sole point of charm, so covering that poo poo in prequels/sequels would be a bummer.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

Randomly throwing in aliens, robots, and timeloops without any further elaboration or explanation is Army of the Dead's sole point of charm, so covering that poo poo in prequels/sequels would be a bummer.

Netflix has an animated series about the fall of Vegas and a spinoff movie for Dieter, with the actor directing it on the way

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Aphex- posted:

There's a scene near the beginning where you can see Two UFOs just zoom away in the background. I think they're trying to build a really zany thing here.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

Where were the aliens? I caught a few subtle robozombies, and the timeloop corpses were very obviously pointed out, but I don't remember seeing any aliens.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Oh poo poo! My wife spotted the robot zombies, and I thought I saw a bullet ricochet or clang off a metal skull or something but we both just assumed it was supposed to be nothing.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm taking a 6 month off break from Netflix, so just watching anything that has been sitting in the queue......

Are viewers supposed to be rooting for Rosamund Pike's team in "I Care a Lot" because I don't think any viewers actually were.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 23, 2021

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I hope not, because I wanted her to utterly fail in that movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
There aren't any characters you're really supposed to root for in I Care a Lot. Great movie though, it was kinda like Nightcrawler in that regard.