Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

MechaCrash posted:

When this was created, the idea was "hey, lots of people have plenty of spare space, they can use this to put it to work!" Did the thought that he created an incentive to have lots of idle storage might result in people buying up shitloads of drives just...not occur to him? Did he not pay attention to what other cryptos did to the things you need to churn those out?

he thought "i'm glad they're paying me a lot of money to make this"

chia pre-mined 21 million coins. they just want it to exist so they can make money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Jose Valasquez posted:

How come all the coiners always talk about how other people just don't understand blockchains but then they can never come up with a useful reason to have a blockchain? :thunk:

The actual reason to have blockchain tech in your project is to get venture capital money thrown your way by gullible idiots who don't know that blockchain tech has a phenomenally limited and painfully trivial use case set that would, in all cases, be better handled by something else.

Blockchain does nothing beyond solving the double-spend problem, a problem that already has better, more efficient solutions.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

xtal posted:

For one, wallet addresses look a lot like magnet URIs.

Really though, the reason they look the same is because they are content addressed storage. For something to be decentralized and secure, it can't have a human readable name (Zooko's triangle.)

In contrast, a file server or SQL database trades off decentralization for human readable names. When they are distributed (such as a sharded SQL database) they aren't resistant to Byzantine faults.

Out of all the examples, blockchains and bittorrent are the two that choose secure and decentralized but not human readable.

So you're saying that the relationship makes sense according to a "principle" that some dude who now owns a coin company wrote a blogpost about in 2001

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Isn't block chain a reincarnation of Merkle Trees? I'm sure this cutting edge technology developed in 1979 is going to change the world.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

xtal posted:

For one, wallet addresses look a lot like magnet URIs.

Really though, the reason they look the same is because they are content addressed storage. For something to be decentralized and secure, it can't have a human readable name (Zooko's triangle.)

In contrast, a file server or SQL database trades off decentralization for human readable names. When they are distributed (such as a sharded SQL database) they aren't resistant to Byzantine faults.

Out of all the examples, blockchains and bittorrent are the two that choose secure and decentralized but not human readable.
This is the clearest example of confusing a bunch of tech specs for the question of "why does the typical human give a single poo poo?" Conflating that "this thing solves Byzantine fault tolerance" with "holy poo poo this is an idiotic concept and should be lit on fire" is a thing that comes up too often.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
I very much prefer sources that don't start with "Please do not propagate this information widely yet. I'm still working on it." but this is the bitcoin thread

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
loving those problems where the solution is simply to use over 50% of the world's available resources for it

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Stoop Kid posted:

I need to ask my neighbor how profitable his eth mining set up is now lmaooo gently caress crypto

It doesn't matter if he eats poo poo.

You get free ambient heating now.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/h_bitcoiner/status/1396005133050269697?s=21

looool

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Inept posted:

lol

the only posts worth attribution are honky dong country's

:agreed:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Did 3fmusic launder 200ETH with it yet?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

repiv posted:

Chia has reached the 10 exabyte (10 million terabyte) mark :toot:

Soon all storage will be converted to its true purpose - storing bingo tickets

Bram Cohen has been calling it FUD to say that Chia destroys SSDs, then admits that yeah it does but only consumer SSDs

so writing one 101GB Chia plot takes 1.6TBW (terabytes written). The Samsung 860DCT (1.9TB) enterprise SSD has a life of 698 TBW. That's ~436 plots before it burns out. Cohen seems weirdly unable to look at numbers when he's talking about Chia.

https://twitter.com/DrCDArmstrong/status/1396748595387412481

Complications posted:

fool, you've created joinder and now your secret government money account can be emptied by divabot inc.

:sureboat:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Could we consider a more sustainable option?

https://twitter.com/FalconryFinance/status/1396558744159281158

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Somfin posted:

So you're saying that the relationship makes sense according to a "principle" that some dude who now owns a coin company wrote a blogpost about in 2001

I mean, it's a fundamental principle of computing and expected knowledge of any computer scientist in the last decade...

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Is The Pirate Bay good for torrenting or bad, because centralisation and readable links?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

It's hard to argue with this reasoning.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
if only byzantium had had blockchain constantinople might not have fallen

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
yeah every day when i log onto my macbook to start programming i get a great idea and then think - oh dammit! that byzantine generals problem! gently caress!. then the whole day is ruined

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Ironically constantinople did have a chain they used to block things from getting in.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Meanwhile,

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
That new egg is not as new as they would like you to believe.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

InternetJunky posted:

Isn't block chain a reincarnation of Merkle Trees? I'm sure this cutting edge technology developed in 1979 is going to change the world.

merkle trees arent even an important part of the bitcoin protocol, it's like saying putting red paint on a race car is revolutionary

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
What if we made crypto out of black holes? Unreadable! Unseeable!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

Is The Pirate Bay good for torrenting or bad, because centralisation and readable links?

Public trackers are like KYC exchanges, and private trackers are like localbitcoin

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

xtal posted:

Public trackers are like KYC exchanges, and private trackers are like localbitcoin

So is it good or bad?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

why is centralized bad?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kentucky Yucky Chicken?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

punishedkissinger posted:

why is centralized bad?

ACAB: all centralizations are bad

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

xtal posted:

ACAB: all centralizations are bad

i'm sure you adore paying for your decentralized and highly regimented healthcare while i have to struggle through that dastardly centralized NHS. i mean sure it's "free" but is it Free????

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
centralization is often synonymous with increased efficiency, not less - you need a reason to justify the inefficiency that comes with decentralization. there genuinely are reasons for it - for example, i prefer KeePass to a cloud based solution because i'd prefer to manage my passwords myself. the idea of having them all on one server that i don't control or administrate somewhere puts my hackles up more than something i encrypted myself and keep on a hard drive. this is objectively less efficient by a number of metrics but it can be justified - i'm paranoid about my security and as such do not mind the additional administrative burden.

centralization and decentralization are not moral or immoral in themselves, they are compromises to achieve some specific outcome. treating them like one is innately better than the other betrays a foundational misunderstanding of why decentralization is desirable at all in the first place.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm willing to say centralization is immoral

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

xtal posted:

Ur mum's immoral

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

xtal posted:

is that an opinion you hold when you're paying your medical bills, i wonder?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

xtal posted:

would you care to expand on why you are opposed to a broad concept?

furthermore what is your take on open vs closed? is closed immoral? what about cold/hot?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

xtal posted:

You’re willing to say a lot

Too bad it’s dumb ohhhh

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

xtal posted:

I mean, it's a fundamental principle of computing and expected knowledge of any computer scientist in the last decade...

Byzantine fault tolerance is not a fundamental principle of computing, it's an interesting problem that shows up occasionally. Most distributed systems do not care about it because "best effort" fault tolerance is good enough. Most of the people who super care about it are either theoreticians or nuclear engineers.

And the blockchain solution to the byzantine problem is fundamentally useless to the outside world. When you're mining a bitcoin the work, the attestation, and the verification are all the same thing. That's why bitcoin works, and why all the ideas to do something useful with blockchain (distributed useful computing, cloud storage, securing votes, bananas on the blockchain) have gone nowhere.

As soon as you try to make the work something outside this single neat self-contained system, you're right back in byzantine land. Attestation can't be trusted if verification is anything other than trivial.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Klyith posted:

Byzantine fault tolerance is not a fundamental principle of computing, it's an interesting problem that shows up occasionally. Most distributed systems do not care about it because "best effort" fault tolerance is good enough. Most of the people who super care about it are either theoreticians or nuclear engineers.

And the blockchain solution to the byzantine problem is fundamentally useless to the outside world. When you're mining a bitcoin the work, the attestation, and the verification are all the same thing. That's why bitcoin works, and why all the ideas to do something useful with blockchain (distributed useful computing, cloud storage, securing votes, bananas on the blockchain) have gone nowhere.

As soon as you try to make the work something outside this single neat self-contained system, you're right back in byzantine land. Attestation can't be trusted if verification is anything other than trivial.

:crossarms:

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Works*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

This guy jokes but last night I found out about a coin called Helium where you buy these wifi hotspots and they mine coin based on the coverage and data you provide not calculations. It sounds stupid. I also looked up several nearby hotspots within half a mile of me that made between $500-$1800 last month.

Everything will be mining soon.