Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

IIRC a major part of it was being able to stay in service longer between overhauls. The RN's big push for coppered ships happened roughly at the time of the American Revolution (and the broader global clusterfuck conflict that they were involved in simultaneously) and one of the major arguments in favor of it was maximizing the time their over-stretched fleets spent at sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
In Fog of War, Robert McNamara, who served under Le May, talks about how the reduction of altitude on the bombers was something the crews hated because they were aware of the risks before and after the reduction but Le May demanded it despite the risks.

It's interesting that Le May talked about how they'd be tried as war criminals if the US lost the war but the Allies didn't try anyone for Axis bombing campaigns. Were there any calls internally for that or did they just think it would be hypocritical considering the Allied bombing campaigns, especially the firebombing of the Japanese home islands and Dresden?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Step one: Define clear and accurate.

So far every post has been cases where one or both sides was completely off base.

The battles I know from the period (Poyang, Noryang, Yamen if we're extending a little outside of the initial time frame to account for differences in tech) I would not describe as having remotely accurate intel. Both sides got the necessary intel in so far as each of them was a catastrophic defeat for one side that in 2 cases completely ended an entire state and in the third ended both a war and an entire foreign policy era, but afaik we don't even today with all available records have a good sense of the forces or casualties with much more precision than "holy poo poo the Han/Japanese/Song are hosed." I don't know that these instances should qualify as much guidance because these are all in East Asia and the debate is about Western navies, even if it is cool that Poyang was such an apocalyptically large naval battle.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks for these! Appreciate it.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Terrifying Effigies posted:

What's funnier is they had a second go at it a few decades later with the B-58 and XB-70.

The XB-70 could outperform contemporary Soviet interceptors. (How many SR-71s did Migs shoot down?)

It was the introduction of SAM missiles - which very publicly shot down the U-2 - that made the strategy not viable.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Not to mention when you're talking about nuclear bombs, it changes things a little when only one bomber needs to get through.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Tulip posted:

So as a person reading this thread who is not very knowledgeable about Western Naval military history during the early modern, I feel like the debate here is "navies could leave an engagement with relatively weak intel about their opponent" vs "navies usually left those engagements with great intel about their opponents." And what I'm seeing in this historical debate is that the weak intel side presents, piecemeal, a bunch of historical instances of one or both sides of a battle leaving the battle with unclear or wrong intel, and the strong intel side dismisses these as either exceptional and out of line with a first principles derived theory.

So I guess I'm saying - what are the historical instances of a naval battle where a side has clear, accurate reporting on enemy forces?

Well, let's take Trafalgar - out of 33 French ships of the line, 21 were captured by the Royal Navy and one exploded spectacularly mid-battle. The British meanwhile lost none. While admittedly they were forced to abandon or scuttle a lot of those captured ships afterwards, and while I don't have information offhand on what the British think happened to the ones who got away in the aftermath, when you've got your own crews frantically trying to get your prizes seaworthy it'd be pretty hard to mistake the scale of your victory as anything less than it was.

Or take the Battle of the Nile, in which out of 13 French ships of the line 9 were captured, 1 exploded spectacularly again, and another was scuttled by fire, while under fire. Again, the British may or may not have known what happened to the ones who got away but the scale of the victory is again very clear.

Admittedly, those are exceptional battles. But the original question was over which era of warfare saw the most misreported results of a naval engagement, and when the standard for victory is "we captured their ships" it's hard to mistake a defeat for a victory given that you could always count how many ships of yours were missing and how many new ships you got. Compare this to "Well we're pretty sure we dropped a bomb that hit a CV, or maybe it was a BB, or it might actually have been a CVL, or maybe even a DD, but anyways we hit them hard, damaged them a lot and probably left them in a sinking condition. Or at least they'll be in drydock for months. Or possibly a week. But we're pretty sure we hit them, anyways. Well, mostly sure. Maybe 60%. Point is we did well!"

I'll note also that early records like the ones you noticed may not have been spotty but part of that may well be because they simply weren't viewed as necessary because you absolutely DID trash the enemy in a glaringly obvious way and no more needs to be known or remembered. There's points now where British historians can't even find records for which British ships were in the line of battle for a given battle, which wouldn't indicate that they then had no idea how many ships their own fleet had, but rather that they didn't think it was that important to keep track of.

You're right that I'm arguing from first principles, though. I'm not a trained historian, just an enthusiastic amateur, and I'll freely admit I might very well be talking out my rear end and might have been jumping a little too far from an initial offhand remark. I do think it's worth pointing out how radically different the nature of naval warfare is when you go from the age of sail to modern warships, however - the question of naval intelligence doesn't really map one-for-one from one era to the other.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 25, 2021

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It's interesting that Le May talked about how they'd be tried as war criminals if the US lost the war but the Allies didn't try anyone for Axis bombing campaigns. Were there any calls internally for that or did they just think it would be hypocritical considering the Allied bombing campaigns, especially the firebombing of the Japanese home islands and Dresden?

If the Allies lost, every general and politician would likely have been tried for war crimes.

So that statement may be more about how vindictive the Japanese/Germans would be if they won.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Well, that and by any reasonable measure the bombing campaigns in every theater were war crimes.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The standout example is that Doenitz was acquitted of unrestricted submarine warfare once the US realised that its sub core had practised that doctrine from day one.

SerCypher posted:

If the Allies lost, every general and politician would likely have been tried for war crimes.

So that statement may be more about how vindictive the Japanese/Germans would be if they won.

On the other hand, they would have been 'trials', whereas at least an Nuremburg the UK and US judges are on the bench to counterbalance the inevitable Soviet guilty vote.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

In Fog of War, Robert McNamara, who served under Le May, talks about how the reduction of altitude on the bombers was something the crews hated because they were aware of the risks before and after the reduction but Le May demanded it despite the risks.

I vaguely recall there was an internal effort by the allies to consider trying Axis commanders for the bombings but the will never materialized for the aforementioned reasons and because the scale and scope of Axis bombing campaigns never reached the level the Allies did.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'd say so. Especially as the Axis bombing campaigns were very small compared to the Allies.

Relevant: I watch Walt Disney's 'Victory through Air Power'

AFAIK the only person prosecuted for German unrestricted submarine warfare was Karl Donitz. During his trial, Chester Goddamn Nimitz filed a brief with the court saying Donitz should be exonerated, as the Germans used the same submarine tactics the Allies did.

So, question about the Battle of the Atlantic: did Donitz ever 'throw in the towel'? Or did he withdraw his subs from the Atlantic and reassess? Was there always U-boat activity of some kinds, or did Donitz withdraw all forces until a new tactic/technology was ready?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SerCypher posted:

I honestly don't think they would have bothered with even show trials. Just concentration camp imprisonment until death or execution.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tomn posted:

Well, let's take Trafalgar - out of 33 French ships of the line, 21 were captured by the Royal Navy and one exploded spectacularly mid-battle. The British meanwhile lost none. While admittedly they were forced to abandon or scuttle a lot of those captured ships afterwards, and while I don't have information offhand on what the British think happened to the ones who got away in the aftermath, when you've got your own crews frantically trying to get your prizes seaworthy it'd be pretty hard to mistake the scale of your victory as anything less than it was.

Or take the Battle of the Nile, in which out of 13 French ships of the line 9 were captured, 1 exploded spectacularly again, and another was scuttled by fire, while under fire. Again, the British may or may not have known what happened to the ones who got away but the scale of the victory is again very clear.

How much did an ordinary seaman get prize money from those battles?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Show trials would have propaganda value so they would absolutely have conducted show trials.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I honestly don't think they would have bothered with even show trials. Just concentration camp imprisonment until death or execution.

I mean they didn't bother with Poland, just shot a bunch and put the rest in concentration camps so yeah thats probably indicative.

I know Hitler thought he would be exhibited around the Soviet Union in a cage.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tomn posted:

Admittedly, those are exceptional battles. But the original question was over which era of warfare saw the most misreported results of a naval engagement, and when the standard for victory is "we captured their ships" it's hard to mistake a defeat for a victory given that you could always count how many ships of yours were missing and how many new ships you got. Compare this to "Well we're pretty sure we dropped a bomb that hit a CV, or maybe it was a BB, or it might actually have been a CVL, or maybe even a DD, but anyways we hit them hard, damaged them a lot and probably left them in a sinking condition. Or at least they'll be in drydock for months. Or possibly a week. But we're pretty sure we hit them, anyways. Well, mostly sure. Maybe 60%. Point is we did well!"

I'll note also that early records like the ones you noticed may not have been spotty but part of that may well be because they simply weren't viewed as necessary because you absolutely DID trash the enemy in a glaringly obvious way and no more needs to be known or remembered. There's points now where British historians can't even find records for which British ships were in the line of battle for a given battle, which wouldn't indicate that they then had no idea how many ships their own fleet had, but rather that they didn't think it was that important to keep track of.

You're right that I'm arguing from first principles, though. I'm not a trained historian, just an enthusiastic amateur, and I'll freely admit I might very well be talking out my rear end and might have been jumping a little too far from an initial offhand remark. I do think it's worth pointing out how radically different the nature of naval warfare is when you go from the age of sail to modern warships, however - the question of naval intelligence doesn't really map one-for-one from one era to the other.

OK yeah thank you for bringing it back to the central question, which is going to be tough to answer. Part of the issue, and for historical debate it's a pretty bad one, is that the question is not "what made it into the archive" but "what was seen outside the archive," which is much much harder. Especially since the equivalent to "IDK looks like that bomb hit" would, apples-to-apples, be something like "we fired a few cannons at a ship we saw briefly" which I imagine generally didn't go reported.

Aside, an extreme example of problems with intelligence in a naval action from a much earlier era: Chi Bi. Cao Cao claimed to have 800,000 troops, while Zhou Yu estimated that Cao Cao's forces were around 230,000. Both sides agree that Cao Cao suffered devastating casualties, but what that means numerically is going to vary wildly depending on whose initial estimate you take seriously. And Cao Cao does not have an interest in making it look like he lost near on a million dudes, but here we are. Personally I can imagine any of a number of things - the losses for Cao Cao had to be catastrophic given the political aftermath, but there's so much murkiness.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

It's interesting that Le May talked about how they'd be tried as war criminals if the US lost the war but the Allies didn't try anyone for Axis bombing campaigns.

You're looking to the Nazis and Imperial Japan as the standard of justice?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tulip posted:

OK yeah thank you for bringing it back to the central question, which is going to be tough to answer. Part of the issue, and for historical debate it's a pretty bad one, is that the question is not "what made it into the archive" but "what was seen outside the archive," which is much much harder. Especially since the equivalent to "IDK looks like that bomb hit" would, apples-to-apples, be something like "we fired a few cannons at a ship we saw briefly" which I imagine generally didn't go reported.

Aside, an extreme example of problems with intelligence in a naval action from a much earlier era: Chi Bi. Cao Cao claimed to have 800,000 troops, while Zhou Yu estimated that Cao Cao's forces were around 230,000. Both sides agree that Cao Cao suffered devastating casualties, but what that means numerically is going to vary wildly depending on whose initial estimate you take seriously. And Cao Cao does not have an interest in making it look like he lost near on a million dudes, but here we are. Personally I can imagine any of a number of things - the losses for Cao Cao had to be catastrophic given the political aftermath, but there's so much murkiness.

I think you're conflating intelligence and propaganda. I'm sure Cao Cao had a very good understanding of the size of his own forces, but that's not the same thing as the claims he made for advantage, propaganda, or post-facto face saving purposes. This is very different from the understanding of enemy strength that commanders have on the ground at the time of battle.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

the Allies didn't try anyone for Axis bombing campaigns. Were there any calls internally for that or did they just think it would be hypocritical considering the Allied bombing campaigns, especially the firebombing of the Japanese home islands and Dresden?

Weren't Goering's charges based in part on him being head of the Luftwaffe during the Blitz?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

Again, not a historian and had to do some digging, but to quote from NAM Rodger in The Command of the Ocean...

quote:

The Convoys and Cruizers Act of 1708 laid down a division of prize-money which was in force for a century. The commander-in-chief took one-eighth, the captain a quarter, the master and lieutenants, the warrant officers and the petty officers one-eighth each, and the remaining quarter was divided among the 'private men', seamen and marines. Even this inequitable distribution gave the seamen significant windfalls. The Nile netted every man £7 18s, Trafalgar £9 9s 6d, and Strachan's action of November 1805 (when all the prizes were brought home), £10 13s - roughly half a year's pay on the 1797 scale.

He apparently gets this figure from "The Enemy At Trafalgar," which is apparently a collection of letters and memoirs from French and Spanish sailors who'd been in the battle so I'm not sure how he got the figures exactly. As far as I knew prize money was based on actually bringing the ship back and selling it, as well as the condition of the ship and how much you could get for it, so I wouldn't have thought every sailor in the fleet would have gotten the same amount (especially those who didn't take any prizes at all). Maybe for the purposes of those major battles they decided to divide up the value of the shares amongst the entire fleet? There was apparently some compensation money for ships sunk too based on the number of guns they had.

It's worth noting that since prize money was based on the condition of the ships and the value of the cargo battered warships after a fleet action wouldn't have been worth that much compared to plump, intact merchant vessels. From elsewhere in the book...

quote:

The four frigates which took the Spanish register ships El Tetys and Santa Brigida in 1799 shared £652,000 net. The admiral got £81,000, four captains £40,730 each, and every seaman received £182 4s 9 3/4d - ten year's pay.

Major fleet actions pay in glory rather than gold. Though you might have to offset that against the value of not having to pay for drinks again for a decade or two...

BalloonFish might have better and more detailed information. Also don't ask me to interpret the wacky British currency system because I'm as lost as you are.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 25, 2021

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Scratch Monkey posted:

Weren't Goering's charges based in part on him being head of the Luftwaffe during the Blitz?

Only in a very small part.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cessna posted:

You're looking to the Nazis and Imperial Japan as the standard of justice?

No, just the bizarre belief LeMay had that he'd be on trial for actions against powers that didn't do trials for their enemies, domestic or foreign. It was more me not being aware of any Axis generals or admirals charged for the terror bombings they ordered carried out. Like Donitz, they obviously couldn't try the Germans for the Blitz because the Allies did that and then some to Germany and Japan.

It was probably just LeMay making excuses but McNamara took him literally and as feeling possibly repentant for his actions. We know from LeMay's brief political career that he probably wasn't repentant at all or felt what he had done was wrong.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Yes but the 4 charges at Nuremberg were broad.

quote:

1. Participation in a common plan or conspiracy for the accomplishment of a crime against peace
2. Planning, initiating and waging wars of aggression and other crimes against peace
3. Participating in war crimes
4. Crimes against humanity

EDIT:

As shown in the above post, he was found guilty of all 4 but he was supposed to be Hitler's successor until Borman manipulated Hitler into thinking he was planning a coup. He was the highest profile person on trial despite Donitz being the Reichsprasident.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 25, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We talk about fair trials but I don't know how one can have a fair trial of war criminals following the bloodiest conflict in world history. Besides Doenitz did any other Major Nazis get off?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Scratch Monkey posted:

No.

In reality he was pretty much a stand-in for the regime, as the highest ranking Nazi that they took alive. They got him for conspiracy, waging a war of aggression, war crimes, and crimes against humanity. The specifics of the latter two sets of charges were based around mistreatment of POWs and civilians, including both slavery and torture/murder/etc. He had his fingers in deep with rearmament and various military manufacturing economics policies, so the labor camp poo poo landed right on his doorstep in a pretty big way, and given the way that the labor and death camps were intertwined that opened him up to the holocaust in general. Plus, as basically the 2nd in line behind Hitler he was also deep in all the other decision making processes.

Here's the judgement against him. I've bolded the only bit pertaining to the Luftwaffe, and that has to do with him commanding it during a war of aggression rather than anything to do with bombing population centers:

quote:

Goering is indicted on all four counts. The evidence shows that after Hitler he was the most prominent man in the Nazi Regime. He was Commander-in-Chief of the Luftwaffe, Plenipotentiary for the Four Year Plan, and had tremendous influence with Hitler, at least until 1943 when their relationship deteriorated, ending in his arrest in 1945. He testified that Hitler kept him informed of all important military and political problems.

Crimes against Peace

From the moment he joined the Party in 1922 and took command of the street-fighting organisation, the SA, Goering was the adviser, the active agent of Hitler and one of the prime leaders of the Nazi movement. As Hitler's political deputy he was largely instrumental in bringing the National Socialists to power in 1933, and was charged with consolidating this power and expanding German armed might. He developed the Gestapo, and created the first concentration camps, relinquishing them to Himmler in 1934, conducted the Roehm purge in that year, and engineered the sordid proceedings which resulted in the removal of von Blomberg and von Fritsch from the Army. In 1936 he became Plenipotentiary for the Four Year Plan, and in theory and in practice was the economic dictator of the Reich. Shortly after the Pact of Munich, he announced that he would embark on a five-fold expansion of the Luftwaffe. and speed rearmament with emphasis on offensive weapons.

Goering was one of the five important leaders present at the Hoszbach Conference of 5th November, 1937, and he attended the other important conferences already discussed in this Judgment. In the Austrian Anschluss, he was indeed the central figure, the ringleader. He said in Court: " I must take 100 per cent. responsibility.... I even overruled objections by the Fuehrer and brought everything to its final development." In the seizure of the Sudetenland, he played his role as Luftwaffe chief by planning an air offensive which proved unnecessary and his role as a politician by lulling the Czechs with false promises of friendship. The night before the invasion of Czechoslovakia and the absorption of Bohemia and Moravia, at a conference with Hitler and President Hacha he threatened to bomb Prague if Hacha did not submit. This threat he admitted in his testimony.

Goering attended the Reich Chancellery meeting of 23rd May, 1939, when Hitler told his military leaders " there is, therefore, no question of sparing Poland," and was present at the Obersalzburg briefing of 22nd August, 1939. And the evidence shows he was active in the diplomatic manoeuvres which followed. With Hitler's connivance, he used the Swedish businessman, Dahlerus, as a go-between to the British, as described by Dahlerus to this Tribunal, to try to prevent the British Government from keeping its guarantee to the Poles.

He commanded the Luftwaffe in the attack on Poland and throughout the aggressive wars which followed.

Even if he opposed Hitler's plans against Norway and the Soviet Union, as he alleged, it is clear that he did so only for strategic reasons; once Hitler had decided the issue, he followed him without hesitation. He made it clear in his testimony that these differences were never ideological or legal. He was “in a rage” about the invasion of Norway, but only because he had not received sufficient warning to prepare the Luftwaffe offensive. He admitted he approved of the attack: "My attitude was perfectly positive." He was active in preparing and executing the Yugoslavian and Greek campaigns, and testified that “Plan Marita,” the attack on Greece, had been prepared long beforehand. The Soviet Union he regarded as the " most threatening menace to Germany," but said there was no immediate military necessity for the attack. Indeed, his only objection to the war of aggression against the U.S.S.R. was its timing; he wished for strategic reasons to delay until Britain was conquered. He testified: " My point of view was decided by political and military reasons only."

After his own admissions to this Tribunal, from the positions which he held, the conferences he attended, and the public words he uttered, there can remain no doubt that Goering was the moving force for aggressive war second only to Hitler. He was the planner and prime mover in the military and diplomatic preparation for war which Germany pursued.

War Crimes and Crimes against Humanity

The record is filled with Goering's admissions of his complicity in the use of slave labour. “We did use this labour for security reasons so that they would not be active in their own country and would not work against us. On the other hand, they served to help in the economic war.” And again: “Workers were forced to come to the Reich. That is something I have not denied.” The man who spoke these words was Plenipotentiary for the Four Year Plan charged with the recruitment and allocation of manpower. As Luftwaffe Commander-in-Chief he demanded from Himmler more slave labourers for his underground aircraft factories: “That I requested inmates of concentration camps for the armament of the Luftwaffe is correct and it is to be taken as a matter of course.”

As Plenipotentiary, Goering signed a directive concerning the treatment of Polish workers in Germany and implemented it by regulations of the SD, including " special treatment ". He issued directives to use Soviet and French prisoners of war in the armament industry; he spoke of seizing Poles and Dutch and making them prisoners of war if necessary, and using them for work. He agrees Russian prisoners of war were used to man anti-aircraft batteries.

As Plenipotentiary, Goering was the active authority in the spoliation. of conquered territory. He made plans for the spoliation of soviet territory long before the war on the Soviet Union. Two months prior to the invasion of the Soviet Union, Hitler gave Goering the over-all direction for the economic administration in the territory. Goering set up an economic staff for this function. As Reichsmarshal of the Greater German Reich " the orders of the Reichmarshal cover all economic fields, including nutrition and agriculture." His so-called " Green " folder, printed by the Wehrmacht, set up an " Economic Executive Staff, East." This directive contemplated plundering and abandonment of all industry in the food deficit regions and from the food surplus regions, a diversion of food to German needs. Goering claims its purposes have been misunderstood but admits " that as a matter of course and a matter of duty we would have used Russia for our purposes," when conquered.

And he participated in the conference of 16th July, 1941, when Hitler said the National Socialists had no intention of ever leaving the occupied countries, and that “all necessary measures-shooting, desettling, etc.-” should be taken.

Goering persecuted the Jews, particularly after the November 1938 riots, and not only in Germany where he raised the billion mark fine as; stated elsewhere, but in the conquered territories as well. His own utterances then and his testimony now show this interest was primarily economic — how to get their property and how to force them out of the economic life of Europe. As these countries fell before the German army he extended the Reich's anti-Jewish laws to them; the Reichsgesetzblatt for 1939, 1940, and 1941 contains several anti-Jewish decrees signed by Goering. Although their extermination was in Himmler's hands, Goering was far from disinterested or inactive, despite his protestations in the witness box. By decree of 31st July, 1941, he directed Himmler and Heydrich to bring “about a complete solution of the Jewish question in the German sphere of influence in Europe.”

There is nothing to be said in mitigation. For Goering was often, indeed almost always, the moving force, second only to his leader. He was the leading war aggressor, both as political and as military leader; he was the director of the slave labour programme and the creator of the oppressive programme against the Jews and other races, at home and abroad. All of these crimes he has frankly admitted. On some specific cases there may be conflict of testimony, but in terms of the broad outline his own admissions are more than sufficiently wide to be conclusive of his guilt. His guilt is unique in its enormity. The record discloses no excuses for this man.

Conclusion

The Tribunal finds the defendant Goering guilty on all four counts of the Indictment.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

So, question about the Battle of the Atlantic: did Donitz ever 'throw in the towel'? Or did he withdraw his subs from the Atlantic and reassess? Was there always U-boat activity of some kinds, or did Donitz withdraw all forces until a new tactic/technology was ready?

Yes. After Normandy and the loss of the French bases the U-Boats are effectively driven completely from the Atlantic. There's a bit of trying to send them around the North Sea but it obviously takes forever and they can't be routed to targets.

There's a brief last 'happy time' in 1945 where Schnorkel equipped subs transit the North Sea submerged to strike the UK's Eastern Coast and for a bit they do quite well so Doenitz surges everything out there for the second tour of 1945 but now the Allies have caught on and redeployed their ASW efforts and a huge proportion of the last wave are written off as they never respond to the radio call to cease hostilities.

e: if you would like an extremely dry book on the subject: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01J95GP6E/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i2

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 25, 2021

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

We talk about fair trials but I don't know how one can have a fair trial of war criminals following the bloodiest conflict in world history. Besides Doenitz did any other Major Nazis get off?

Albert "Slave labour? What slave labour?" Speer rather famously, and Rudolf Hess. Not to mention operation paperclip.

Basically all of Japan got off pretty lightly post war, which lead to a lot of anger in east asia.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tomn posted:

As far as I knew prize money was based on actually bringing the ship back and selling it, as well as the condition of the ship and how much you could get for it, so I wouldn't have thought every sailor in the fleet would have gotten the same amount (especially those who didn't take any prizes at all). Maybe for the purposes of those major battles they decided to divide up the value of the shares amongst the entire fleet? There was apparently some compensation money for ships sunk too based on the number of guns they had.

I seem to recall some references in O'Brian about visibility for prize money purposes. If your ship is in the vicinity of an engagement you share in the prize money.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Tomn posted:

Again, not a historian and had to do some digging, but to quote from NAM Rodger in The Command of the Ocean...
He apparently gets this figure from "The Enemy At Trafalgar," which is apparently a collection of letters and memoirs from French and Spanish sailors who'd been in the battle so I'm not sure how he got the figures exactly. As far as I knew prize money was based on actually bringing the ship back and selling it, as well as the condition of the ship and how much you could get for it, so I wouldn't have thought every sailor in the fleet would have gotten the same amount (especially those who didn't take any prizes at all). Maybe for the purposes of those major battles they decided to divide up the value of the shares amongst the entire fleet? There was apparently some compensation money for ships sunk too based on the number of guns they had.

It's worth noting that since prize money was based on the condition of the ships and the value of the cargo battered warships after a fleet action wouldn't have been worth that much compared to plump, intact merchant vessels. From elsewhere in the book...
Major fleet actions pay in glory rather than gold. Though you might have to offset that against the value of not having to pay for drinks again for a decade or two...

BalloonFish might have better and more detailed information. Also don't ask me to interpret the wacky British currency system because I'm as lost as you are.

This reminds me of the absolutely mind boggling wealth inequality of militaries just recently. The difference between officers and seamen in this is prize pool is whack.

In American Civil War, a US Army private got 13 dollars, and the First Sergeant got 20. Sergeant Major, a nigh-unobtainable rank to the enlisted, received 21.

...the most basic nose booger digging 2nd Lieutenant got 105. This is all per month.

Today, roughly, starting private salaries are 1500-1800 for base pay, and 2nd Lieutenant makes about 3300$ in base pay. The officers salaries trend with that, often being about double as enlisted of same seniority graph.

But not ten times as in ACW. Or even worse as in Revolutionary war.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Albert Speer was really the only one who survived who was able to get out of any serious consequences for his actions. He even had a career after getting out of Spandau.

Hess was saved by his own insanity and taking himself out of the war at the start but he did spend the rest of his life in Spandau and then hung himself.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tomn posted:

Nice, thank you! :tipshat:

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

ChubbyChecker posted:

It depends on the Navy and when. Early on the RN paid a flat rate per ton to ordinary seamen. Later on it would be 3/8ths of the prize money divided among ordinary seamen. One of the richer hauls ended up with ~480 pounds per seaman. I'd have to look it up but that would be 20ish years of pay. But that's an extreme outlier.

At various points there was a gun rate for the RN as well. Which was a bonus based on sinking other vessels.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Tulip posted:

Especially since the equivalent to "IDK looks like that bomb hit" would, apples-to-apples, be something like "we fired a few cannons at a ship we saw briefly" which I imagine generally didn't go reported.

I think one of the things that makes the whole thing kinda apples-to-oranges, though, is the significance of "we fired a few cannons." In WW1/2, if you hit the enemy with a single battleship shell, a bomb, or a torpedo, you had a reasonable expectation of having caused significant damage and a reasonable hope of having scored critical damage of some kind. With a smoothbore naval cannon firing roundshot, if you hit the enemy with a single ball you can reasonably expect not very much in the way of effect at all, compared to the overall functioning of the ship. Occasionally a lucky shot might do something very important, like damage the rudder, or kill the captain, or cut up important rigging, or maybe start a fire by accident or something, but that's a golden BB. Generally speaking if you want results you need to get in close and hammer as many salvos as you can into the enemy as quickly as possible - sheer weight of fire is the key to causing the enemy any significant damage.

As such, an age of sail captain has no real reason to be trying to track the exact impact of any specific shot unless he's in a chase and hoping for a lucky break. To try and gauge what impact you're having you're looking at damage over time, steadily degrading the enemy's ability to fight. Even if you wanted to, trying to pick out which of the 30+ odd guns banging away did the damage you were looking at would be tricky at best. That makes individual shot and damage reporting of much less concern to a captain of the time, and not really worth writing home about. It's the final results of all that fire that matters - whether it softened up the enemy enough or disabled them badly enough that you could take them or sink them. That's a much easier metric to gauge the effects of than "Did that single shell we fired from kilometers way significantly impact the enemy?"

Edit:

Vahakyla posted:

This reminds me of the absolutely mind boggling wealth inequality of militaries just recently. The difference between officers and seamen in this is prize pool is whack.

I'd like you to note the bit that says "the commander-in-chief gets an eighth share." Note that for the purposes of prize money, "the commander in chief" is whoever you report directly to, even if they're sitting on their rear end in a cosy house on shore and you're hundreds of miles away at sea cruising up and down the trade lines.

Admirals could make BANK.

The Command of the Ocean posted:

Two successive commanders-in-chief each made about £300,000 in prize-money during their careers, Rainer entirely and Pellew largely on this station [the East Indies]. Keith in the Mediterranean made just under £67,000 in less than three years. It was for this that admirals faced the risks of a tropical climate or, like H.C. Christian at the Cape in 1798, separation from a sick wife and a beloved family: "With my West India prize-money also, I hope we may be enabled to take tolerably good care of our dear girls. The boys will, I trust, be taken care of. This is my most anxious wish, and the reflection that strengthens and supports me in the sacrifice I have made - namely, that I am working for them."

Also not related but I thought this was an amusing quote.

Mistakes were easy and expensive. "Law is a bottomless pit and I have no inclination to fathom its depths," in the words of one commodore declining to get involved with a Danish prize."

Edit edit: As Thomamelas mentioned, the rules concerning divisions could change over time.

A new division of prize-money was promulgated in 1808, in which the seamen and marines divided a half between them (petty officers and able seamen benefiting particularly), and the admiral and captain were reduced to one-tweleth and one-sixth respectively. This aroused strong protests from the captains.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 25, 2021

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tomn posted:

I think one of the things that makes the whole thing kinda apples-to-oranges, though, is the significance of "we fired a few cannons." In WW1/2, if you hit the enemy with a single battleship shell, a bomb, or a torpedo, you had a reasonable expectation of having caused significant damage and a reasonable hope of having scored critical damage of some kind.

This may be a bit misleading. Look at Jutland, for example.

The percentage of shells fired that actually hit an enemy ship is quite low: the British only hit with about 2.2% of their heavy shells. The Germans, noted for their gunnery, had about 3.4% accuracy. (Source: Jutland: An Analysis of the Fighting by Campbell.)

Some German ships took over a dozen hits and survived (Seydlitz, Derfflinger). Every capital ship sunk by gunfire (Pommern was sunk by a torpedo), including the notoriously fragile battlecruisers, took a minimum of five shots to sink.

So you're looking at an average well over a hundred shots to sink a ship, if you sink it at all.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Cessna posted:

This may be a bit misleading. Look at Jutland, for example.

The percentage of shells fired that actually hit an enemy ship is quite low: the British only hit with about 2.2% of their heavy shells. The Germans, noted for their gunnery, had about 3.4% accuracy. (Source: Jutland: An Analysis of the Fighting by Campbell.)

Some German ships took over a dozen hits and survived (Seydlitz, Derfflinger). Every capital ship sunk by gunfire (Pommern was sunk by a torpedo), including the notoriously fragile battlecruisers, took a minimum of five shots to sink.

So you're looking at an average well over a hundred shots to sink a ship, if you sink it at all.

That's fair, but consider what you're comparing against:

The Command of the Ocean, again posted:

Attacking Porto Bello in 1739, one of Vernon's ships, the Hampton Court, 70, fired 400 rounds in twenty-five minutes, which suggests each gun fired about one round every two minutes, and this is probably near the upper limit of any ship's performance...There was no question, however, of being able to sustain such a rate of fire. Men running out guns weighing up to two tons each could not support such an effort for long. The captain who trained his men to fire so fast was planning to close to very close range before opening fire, or the guns' crews would be exhausted before the shot began to tell. "I do not wish the ships to be bilge and bilge," said Howe at the First of June, "but if you can lock the yardarms so much the better, the battle will be the sooner decided." That implies a fighting range of about twenty feet.

By contrast a captain who emphasized target practice - slow, deliberate shooting - was contemplating a long action, with less danger to his men and himself, but much less prospect of a decisive result, for both the accuracy and the destructive force of smooth-bore guns firing solid shot fell off rapidly at ranges over 200 yards or so. At the Minorca action in 1756 the French seventy-four Guerrier claimed to have fired 659 rounds in three and a half hours; engaged on one side, this implies about five and a half rounds an hour from each gun. At the Saints another French ship fired 1,300 rounds in six hours, or about six rounds an hour from each gun; faster would have been impossible, it was claimed, considering the heat and the casualties.

All of this fire would usually fail to actually SINK a ship, just to disable it and kill enough crewmen that they would be too demoralized to fight back. We're looking at far more rounds fired to less overall effect at much closer range. That's not a situation where you want someone standing by with binoculars observing the enemy and excitedly calling out every individual hit from every individual cannon.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Thomamelas posted:

They are designed for work on rivers, lakes and seas, and were designed to fight other small boats and people on land. They have a turret from a PT76B, some rocket launchers and 30mm machine guns. It's an evolution of artillery boats that were used in WWII. But made by the Navy and designed more for port defense.

This lead me down a wikihole that lead me to discover gunboats aren't just "a boat/ship with guns" but a particular role of boat and ship. With guns. Pretty neat!

Would a swfitboat be a gunboat or more of a reconnaissance in force sort of thing

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Sure but the american civil war, especially the naval bits, was very much a bunch of enthusiastic amateurs slapping each other. It's not the best counterexample.
The commander of the Monitor at Hampton Roads was John Worden, who at that point had 28 years of naval experience. The commander of the Virginia was Franklin Buchanan, who had 47 years of service.

Are you saying they were "enthusiastic amateurs slapping each other", or is there some other specific counterexample you had in mind?

Tomn posted:

On the whole, to go back to your original thought I'd agree that assessing damage in naval engagements was probably most difficult - and most critical - around WW1/2. Earlier on for most of human history it's both easier to do and less important.
I've cut out the rest of your detailed response because I don't actually disagree with most of the points you're making. I'm just saying yeah, sure, that's all true--the reality is that e.g. a three-master moves slower than a steamer (in most seas) and it's pretty easy to tell if a ship has been de-masted.

But on the other hand you have the Four Days' Battle in 1666--the largest naval battle of the Second Anglo-Dutch War--which both the Dutch and English concluded that they'd won, and even though it was a Dutch victory, the Dutch misconstrued the scope of their success badly enough that they immediately committed to a followup attack on the English fleet, leading to the Dutch defeat in the St James' Day Battle the following month.

That said, yeah I think that the sheer complexity (in numbers and diversity) of naval operations in WWII is unmatched in history, and that probably necessarily produced the most uncertainty in the field. Like Leyte by itself was more complex than all the naval actions in some earlier wars. And the amount of confusion surrounding just e.g. Halsey's decisions is something that could fill several posts by itself.

Tulip posted:

OK yeah thank you for bringing it back to the central question, which is going to be tough to answer.
Yeah, I think the question is probably unanswerable, because the kind of information required to evaluate it just isn't available for a lot of naval history. Basically you need not only enough documentary or physical evidence to come to a conclusion about the outcome of the battle itself, you also need documentary evidence to reveal the contemporaneous evaluation(s) of the outcome. Into the Age of Sail naval record keeping in many navies was fastidious enough that we have insight into the thoughts of the belligerents immediately after battles (along with the states of the stores, direction of the wind, and so on). But before that we're lucky if there are detailed accounts of naval battles at all.

And that's to say of nothing of all the naval battles outside of Europe/the West. Like Tang- and Song-era China had naval battles involving paddlewheelers mounting trebuchets and lobbing gunpowder and lime bombs circa the mid-12th Century. I'd love to read some dispatches and orders from that era, but even the formal histories that describe these battles tend to offer conflicting accounts of fundamental details, like the number of ships and men committed.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tomn posted:

We're looking at far more rounds fired to less overall effect at much closer range.

Entirely fair. I'm just pointing out that it's far from "one shot, one kill" in WWI.

I know you stated "hits," I'm just throwing in more detail.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

This lead me down a wikihole that lead me to discover gunboats aren't just "a boat/ship with guns" but a particular role of boat and ship. With guns. Pretty neat!

Would a swfitboat be a gunboat or more of a reconnaissance in force sort of thing

I'd put it in with gunboats, but maybe with an asterisk. The swiftboats were generally intended for COIN. So they tended to optimize a bit more for speed over firepower. Unlike the Russian artillery boats, they weren't intended to deal with armor at all. They were to harass troop movements along the river and act as a patrol craft. I can see someone arguing that they are too lightly armed for shore bombardment, although some had an 81mm mortar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
A lot of posts since I last looked into this thread, so please don't take a failure to quote anyone's specific point as being ignored.

Xakura posted:

Sure, but the speed thing upthread was more of a "max speed didn't increase" I thought? Which makes sense, it's not like it's drastically slicker than un-fouled wood. I would think the benefit on speed is more how long can you have a max speed capable hull.

I didn't mean to downplay the woodworm thing though, royal navy (at least, probably a bunch of others) used sacrificial wood plating on hull bottoms to avoid having their ships just eaten up.

Correct. The average speeds I (and Tomn) were quoting were the average speeds derived from ships' logs - the speed the ships actually travelled, not the maximum speed they could obtain when pushed to the full. The paper I remember compared logs from the RN, the French navy, the British East India Company and a sample of surviving merchant ships and they basically all fell into that 4-6knt range from 1700 until the arrival of steam power.

That modern yacht with the massive weed growth is an extreme example, and will usually only grow on a ship without antifouling that's in the water and moored for long periods. Ships that don't linger at anchor or in port won't develop that sort of growth - it would be a more lawn-like covering of algaes and weed, with barnacles and the occasional limpets and other creatures mixed in. All of which would noticeably decrease the sailing abilities and speed of the ship. Un-coppered ships would have to be dry-docked or careened every few months (if they served in warm, biologically rich waters) or at a mimimum of once per year if they were to remain fully effective.

Coppering was done in equal measure to prevent fouling and defend the timbers against shipworm, which short of replacing individual affected timbers couldn't be removed once the worm had taken up residence, and the critters would slowly but continually weaken the structure of the ship. Fouling created problems in the short term but could be solved relatively easily by cleaning off the growth. Shipworm may not cause problems for 10, 15 or 20 years but it was essentially inevitable. You're right about the pre-coppering methods - false layers of wood attached outside the actual hull, with layers of tarred paper and horsehair to stop the worm getting into the vital parts. The cladding would be removed (taking the fouling with it) and the protective coat removed at longer-term overhauls.

Coppering the hull greatly reduced the growth of weed etc. and virtually stopped barnacles (copper in salt water gently reacts and sloughs off its outer layers). The copper sheathing was itself impenetrable to the shipworm, leaving only peripheral uncoppered areas, small crevices between the copper plates and parts where the plating had fallen or been knocked off vulnerable. This allowed ships to stay at sea for longer periods without needing their hulls clean and extended the overall life of the ships.

For instance, in the war of 1812 a key advantage for the Royal Navy was that their frigates could patrol off American ports for months at a time and still have the speed and sailing ability to potentially chase, catch and fight an American 44-gun ship. Before coppering a ship on such a blockade station would, from the moment it arrived, degrade its performance - eventually reaching a point where it would not be able to catch its quarry. Ships would either have to be frequently rotated (requiring more ships per assignment) or gaps be left in the blockade. Coppering was effectively a force multiplier.

Tomn posted:

The thing to bear in mind with Trafalgar is that most of the Franco-Spanish ships that were captured either had to be abandoned or were sunk due to the storm that swept through the area just after the battle. For prize money to be paid ships had to be captured (and taken into a port to be requesitioned or sold), burned or sunk.

The prizes were taken in tow by the British ships but most had to be let go during the night. The Spanish and French made follow-up raids on the British ships limping to Gibraltar to either re-capture their ships or at least deny them to the British. That forced the RN to let go of the prizes under tow and two were re-captured. A number of captures, escapes, chases, attacks, re-captures, re-re-captures and abandonments followed during the choppy weather of the next few days but none of the 17 ships initially captured during the battle made it to be officially claimed as prizes. Once the prize is cast loose from the tow the capturing ship loses all claim on it, and even if the (former) prize sinks as a result of being set adrift while battle damaged, it does not qualify for prize money. The only Trafalgar veterans that were officially captured (and for which prize money was paid) were the four ships under Dumanoir le Pelley which were taken at Cape Ortegal in early November while trying to reach Brest.

Had the original 17 prizes been taken in and declared, each commanding officer would have received about £10,000 and each seaman about £30 (their annual pay was about £20). As it was Parliament awarded a lump sum of £300,000 to be divided amongst all the ships at Trafalgar (and all the men on those ships), which ended up as a bit over £3000 for captains and about £6/10s (10 shillings was half a pound) for seamen. So a decent sum but nothing like the amount they would have received had all the prizes been taken in.

A famous legal wrangle was over one of the follow-up scraps surrounding the prizes. HMS Leviathan had fought at Trafalgar and was detached from the British fleet under Collingwood's orders to resecure the cut prizes. At the same time HMS Donegal (both ships were seventy-fours) entered the area having been left at Gibraltar under Nelson's pre-battle orders. Leviathan settled on retaking the Monarca while Donegal went for the Rayo, which had set out from Cadiz to try and retake the prizes itself and was close by the Monarca. Leviathan fired a single shot, intended for Monarca but which actually landed in the water between the two Spanish ships. That caused the Rayo to strike her colours, after which she was boarded and taken by the crew of the Donegal while those from the Leviathan retook the Monarca. Both ships went aground in stormy weather a few days later and although they were destroyed their prize crews (and capturing ships) were still nearby and very much 'in posession' at the time the ships were wrecked, and the wreck of Rayo was set on fire and burnt. So both qualified for prize money. Rayo was judged to be worth over £4000 in prize money. The question was whether or not her fight with the Donegal counted as a continuation of the Battle of Trafalgar or not. Donegal was not at Trafalgar and had entered the area under separate orders. But Leviathan, Rayo and Monarca were all at Trafalgar and the British ship was acting under orders from the British battle fleet's new commander. Furthermore Leviathan had fired the shot which had caused Rayo to surrender, even though the shot had been intended for Monarca, did not hit either Spanish ship, gave no real cause for the Rayo to surrender and it had been Donegal alone which made the capture.

This all went to arbitration between the crews of the two British ships and parties representing some men who were at Trafalgar and had been denied their prize money by circumstance. Eventually it was concluded that, since the Rayo had entered port, made repairs and re-sortied between Trafalgar and her demise, and Donegal was not part of the original British battle fleet, the capture did not count as a continuation of the main battle. It was also concluded that Leviathan played no tangible part in the capture of the Rayo, being entitled only to the prize money of the Monarca. All the legal fees had to be made from the respective prize money pots, which significantly reduced the final amount paid out to the crews.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I seem to recall some references in O'Brian about visibility for prize money purposes. If your ship is in the vicinity of an engagement you share in the prize money.

The precedent was that any ship within visual sight (even a distant sail on the horizon) was entitled to a share of prize money from a captured ship. The logic was that even if the ship could not physically take part in an action, it's presence may well have changed the tactical situation and convinced the enemy commander to surrender, or turned an even fight into a potentially lop-sided one and demoralised the enemy crew etc. etc.

This was not a fast rule, as the case between the Donegal and the Leviathan demonstrates - claims and counter claims in the prize courts (between both ships involved over who was eligible for prize money and the Admiralty over how much a prize was actually worth) could be made and could drag on for years.