Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mescal posted:

Of course it made a generic dude when they averaged them. Same happen if you average out a bunch of portraits of people

I think the idea is that you can't really average out horns or dragon snout. I'm willing to accept that most video gamers chose their protagonist to be a cooler version of themselves, with only a minority taking weird stuff. Not everyone's an otherkin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Serephina posted:

I think the idea is that you can't really average out horns or dragon snout. I'm willing to accept that most video gamers chose their protagonist to be a cooler version of themselves, with only a minority taking weird stuff. Not everyone's an otherkin.

What, they give me a choice to make a sexy wolf assassin and I'm supposed to play as John Q. Normal? gently caress that.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mescal posted:

Of course it made a generic dude when they averaged them. Same happen if you average out a bunch of portraits of people

pretty sure it's not like they averaged out a bunch of sliders. they just picked the most popular choice in each customization slot.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Did they do mean, median, or mode

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Serephina posted:

Honestly even though I'm totally cool with it in other settings for some reason in Forgotten Realms/D&D stuff I'm always drawn to the more mundane/classic fantasy races. Give me the elves and dwarves and halflings and poo poo, it's what I came here for. Keep your half-demons and bird people and poo poo.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did they do mean, median, or mode

mode

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Days Gone thoughts now that I'm 9.1 hours in: god drat I love this game.

I don't have much to add to this, but I've been playing it for the past week and I agree entirely.
I went in with no expectations and I was really surprised at how much I ended up liking the main character. All of his random rants and the nutty things he says when he's alone end up really helping in giving him a personality. The bike handles in a super fun way. It feels weighty, but still nimble enough to navigate the map, which as you said really helps it shine with all the broken down cars and ruined bridges blocking off the road. The fighting is simple enough but the guns are fun to shoot and there's weight to the melee hits.

The game is not unique, but all of its generic parts are well executed and it makes for a fun game. I also love the way the map is never overloaded with icons and missions. The game is lengthy, but you rarely have more than 2-3 missions to do at once. That makes it pretty linear, but helps avoid fatigue from the Ubisoft open-world formula that is so common now.

SpacePope fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 26, 2021

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tunnels in Days Gone make me a little nervous. Caves though... dear god

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I've been playing Hellpoint from the Humble monthly and it's a really weird and pretty fun soulsy game with one twist: Magic is AWESOME.

Like, my standard build in any souls game is, "get biggest weapon possible and smash the hell out of everything with it".

It wasn't working that well in Hellpoint, and then I read about magic (catalysts).

So I got the minimum required Foresight (magic stat) to use the Channeler of hell (which fires out bouncy balls of flame) and put it in my off hand, with my giant column (literally, a column of stone) in my right hand.

Seemed okay. But then! I infused my column with a weapon mod that added my magic stat to my strength damage, and you can upgrade the mod. And then I added a damage mod to my channeler.

Bosses just fuckin melt. Like before I'd have 4 to 8 death runs per boss. Now, I've been killing all the major bosses first try.

Basically go in, shoot a bunch of fireballs, then do jumping attacks with my column and the fight's over.

I love this so much.

And now, I've got enough stats that I can have my massive column, the channeler (which is a staff and weighs as much as a stone column) and I can wear heavy armour and still roll around. So now, I'm in mega armour, have a giant beatstick and can flame the poo poo out of anything.

It is as good as it sounds.

And also, just like in any souls-like games, my greatest cause of death has been falling off of platforms.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Ok we get it, you have a huge column :jerkbag:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm also a giant flamer with a huge column, though I've never played Hellpoint.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Hollandia posted:

Ok we get it, you have a huge column :jerkbag:

I swear there was no innuendo posting. It's kind of funny that my favorite weapon is a (large) piece of masonry.

It's like, you're on a massive space station orbiting a black hole and there's all sorts of weird poo poo going on, and the best weapon I found is a piece of a building to smush guys with.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

HopperUK posted:

SIZE MATTERS: puzzle platformer where you continually shrink

This still available? It's the one thing in the pack I'm really curious about.

profile link

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

K8.0 posted:

IdolNinja, the goon who made Gentlemen of the Row, has worked for Volition for several years now, and about 2 years ago when some of the original SR2 files were located he got the go-ahead to make a functional version of SR2 for PC. He announced a few weeks ago that he's in the terminal stages of cancer and has stepped down from his other responsibilities, but he wants to keep on working on SR2 as long as he can. Volition has hired additional programmers to make sure it gets finished regardless. So the best Saints Row will be seeing a not remastered but de-hosed and with proper original quality sound release in the near future.

That's brutal.

Kinda feels like the right thing to do would be for Volition to make a proper remaster/remake and have a memorium or mission or something in it as a permanent tribute to the guy.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Vasler posted:

I swear there was no innuendo posting. It's kind of funny that my favorite weapon is a (large) piece of masonry.

It's like, you're on a massive space station orbiting a black hole and there's all sorts of weird poo poo going on, and the best weapon I found is a piece of a building to smush guys with.
Just joking mate - I actually picked up hellpoint in the same humble but was kinda eh about it, and your post made me want to give it a go. Sounds good!

Hollandia fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 26, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

MonkeyforaHead posted:

This still available? It's the one thing in the pack I'm really curious about.

profile link

Hey it is, but your profile is private! Add me as a friend and I'll find the code for you later.

e: I am hopperuk on Steam also

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

John Murdoch posted:

I was getting a bit worn down by the game on my last playthrough (I did something similar to you actually, killed Ivory King then went back to suffer through Fume Knight, then called it quits there) so I definitely understand the fatigue, but the DLCs are dense enough that it's kind of a bad time to start just trying to blaze through everything. :shobon:

Yeah, I dunno. Fatigue is definitely part of it, but... after exploring a bit more I found the other wedges which were defended by three possessed armors and two warriors clamped together in a tiny corridor. I ran past them because that's just garbage. What am I actually meant to do there? It's just dumb. Beat Fume Knight and now I'm doing runs back to Sir Alonne which are equally tedious (and within a time limit? I can only hope the memory can't fade during the actual boss fight). Too many enemies with too much HP. I feel like my heart's not in this anymore, and I have the crown from this DLC already, so maybe it's time to call it done and go back to the Gank Squad.

But to be fair, I don't know what constitutes 'beating' the DLCs. If it's just getting all three crowns and then maybe something happens then I got that for beating Fume Knight, and I might check out. But realistically there's the matter of purging the idols and the soul fragments you get from doing that. And who knows what's behind Smelter Demon? I don't know if that and Sir Alonne are optional. So I suspect I'd be fooling myself if I called this beaten but loving hell it's testing my patience like nothing else has in these games.

edit: What's the Dark Souls 2 equivalent of a fishing minigame, cause this is where I would gently caress off to do that for two hours. Maybe it's just hanging with my pals in Majula.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 26, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The latest Steam update seems to have fixed the issue with the mouse cursor drifting while controllers are plugged in.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SpacePope posted:

I don't have much to add to this, but I've been playing it for the past week and I agree entirely.
I went in with no expectations and I was really surprised at how much I ended up liking the main character. All of his random rants and the nutty things he says when he's alone end up really helping in giving him a personality. The bike handles in a super fun way. It feels weighty, but still nimble enough to navigate the map, which as you said really helps it shine with all the broken down cars and ruined bridges blocking off the road. The fighting is simple enough but the guns are fun to shoot and there's weight to the melee hits.

The game is not unique, but all of its generic parts are well executed and it makes for a fun game. I also love the way the map is never overloaded with icons and missions. The game is lengthy, but you rarely have more than 2-3 missions to do at once. That makes it pretty linear, but helps avoid fatigue from the Ubisoft open-world formula that is so common now.

On the one hand I wish the map were more cluttered because I'm a big sucker for finding all of the icons, but on the other hand it actually fits with the story. Deacon's focused on survival and hunting and wouldn't have reason to go to all of the markers. The historical sites are a nice compromise and reward for exploring.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Glare Seethe posted:

Yeah, I dunno. Fatigue is definitely part of it, but... after exploring a bit more I found the other wedges which were defended by three possessed armors and two warriors clamped together in a tiny corridor. I ran past them because that's just garbage. What am I actually meant to do there? It's just dumb. Beat Fume Knight and now I'm doing runs back to Sir Alonne which are equally tedious (and within a time limit? I can only hope the memory can't fade during the actual boss fight). Too many enemies with too much HP. I feel like my heart's not in this anymore, and I have the crown from this DLC already, so maybe it's time to call it done and go back to the Gank Squad.

But to be fair, I don't know what constitutes 'beating' the DLCs. If it's just getting all three crowns and then maybe something happens then I got that for beating Fume Knight, and I might check out. But realistically there's the matter of purging the idols and the soul fragments you get from doing that. And who knows what's behind Smelter Demon? I don't know if that and Sir Alonne are optional. So I suspect I'd be fooling myself if I called this beaten but loving hell it's testing my patience like nothing else has in these games.

edit: What's the Dark Souls 2 equivalent of a fishing minigame, cause this is where I would gently caress off to do that for two hours. Maybe it's just hanging with my pals in Majula.

For non-completionist purposes you have beaten Brume Tower and that DLC. Sir Alonne and Helter Smelter are entirely optional and if you're not having fun there anymore you can gently caress off home or to Shulva, where the final boss is the end of that DLC.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hellpoint also has a local split screen coop mode which loving rules. My son is finally happy to play a soulslike because he doesn’t have to go it alone. We’re only in the second area but have been really enjoying it so far.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Beating DS2 with DLCs is a huge undertaking, especially after taking on the first game just before that, so I'd skip the unfun parts. I remember there were quite a lot of them by the end, too.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sir Alonne is one of the single best bosses in all of From's modern RPGs. Every other optional Dark Souls 2 DLC boss is some level of nightmarish bullshit, either getting there or fighting them. I don't blame anybody for skipping them.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
The frozen tundra with the pain deer broke my spirit way back when.

I should play Dark Souls 3, and then revisit Dark Souls 2. But first I have to beat Sekiro which is ugh

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The boss run to Sir Alonne is some loving bullshit, though. I killed every enemy there to extinction and still took quite a few more deaths before I got Alonne down.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The run is terrible, yeah.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Speaking of Saints Row, the remaster of 3 is pretty good but something they did to the character creator combined with the lighting improvements and some sort of graphical bug around skin tones, makeup, and lips to wash them all out makes it almost impossible to make a character that doesn't ultimately look like Jared Leto's Joker lmao

Pretty good otherwise

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
"They" have cooked up a new sneaky scheme to take over our Steam accounts.
Got this comment on a screenshot I had recently posted.

:thunk:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fart of Presto posted:

seems legit

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Fart of Presto posted:

Respond back with "Sure but you have to vote for my team first"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

its me, ur brother

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

its me, ur cahsin

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Glare Seethe posted:

DS2 actually does have a fishing minigame, it's called "Farming Black Gulch for titanite." Peaceful, repetitive, and the fish don't always bite.

It's funny that you guys bring up the frozen tundra, because I re-installed DS2 last week since all the souls talk made me want to play again. I did a dual-caestus build, which is way more awesome and fun than I expected, had a blast for 5-6 hours, and went to ivory king for the bone fist. Now I'm kinda done with DS2 for a while, because holy poo poo that DLC-even with +9 gear, slogging through the early bits exhausted almost all of my enthusiasm.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Glare Seethe posted:

Well, the short of it is: There's a secret to all those fire-spewing bull statues. (Not to mention your friends, the barrel skeletons.) :v: But I do get it. There's definitely parts of Brume Tower that test my patience (the room with like 5 warriors and a giant knight and an idol is a great example). All three DLCs have a problem of excess, arguably even worse than the main game. Instead of one enemy, why not three? And when you're done with those, round the corner and fight two more for good measure.

And yes, Sir Alonne is a cool boss with the shittiest possible implementation. He's inexplicably designed to be a co-op encounter, so the runback is tedious bullshit. And it has the whole weird memory time limit thing (I do believe it only applies to the gauntlet, so what's the point?). That area is also the one where the NPC summons are basically useless. They might hold their own against the gauntlet of bullshit on the way to him, but in the fight itself they're basically decoys guaranteed to eventually die while also boosting his health by a shitton. The smallest nicety in the world is that given Alonne's a tough motherfucker you liable to eventually despawn all of the enemies on the way to him.

Ultimately yes, the-not-entirely clear goal of the DLCs is to obtain the three crowns.* Everything else is completely optional. Hell, you apparently haven't even found the co-op zone for Eleum Loyce which is the one that just about everyone despises. If anything would break your desire to clear every boss, it'd be that one.

Spoilers for what you get for each thing:

Sir Alonne: The final smelter wedge, and thus the ability to extinguish the final idol. With all 12 pieces of Nadalia's soul, you get...Nadalia's soul. Which acts identically to any other boss soul - eat it or trade it for a unique item that probably doesn't fit your build.
Blue Smelter: You get a special mask that makes you constantly wet. Basically it makes you immune to poison, resistant to fire, and weaker to lightning. That's it. That's the big prize.
Graverobbers: A bundle of high-level crafting materials and...a unique skirt, for some reason. But it sounds like the fight is its own reward for you. :)

*Of course, there's a fourth crown to obtain... Pretty sure you know from who. Though there's one last small hoop to jump through to get it beyond merely killing him.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 26, 2021

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i had no idea sir alonne was designed for co op. what makes you say that? i didn't find him that hard solo.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Omi no Kami posted:

DS2 actually does have a fishing minigame, it's called "Farming Black Gulch for titanite." Peaceful, repetitive, and the fish don't always bite.

It's funny that you guys bring up the frozen tundra, because I re-installed DS2 last week since all the souls talk made me want to play again. I did a dual-caestus build, which is way more awesome and fun than I expected, had a blast for 5-6 hours, and went to ivory king for the bone fist. Now I'm kinda done with DS2 for a while, because holy poo poo that DLC-even with +9 gear, slogging through the early bits exhausted almost all of my enthusiasm.

Yeah this was my experience doing my punch-em-ups playthrough. Nobody tells you that most of the enemies in Eleum Loyce laugh at your pathetic attack range. Or that the Bone Fist is a sometimes weapon, because in actuality the Caestuses are often way more efficient.

Foul Fowl posted:

i had no idea sir alonne was designed for co op. what makes you say that? i didn't find him that hard solo.

The start of his memory is the same exact co-op "lobby" found in the other co-op areas and there's a stupid gauntlet preceding the fight. All the regular boss fights in the DLCs have pretty friendly runbacks with a few minor technicalities.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 26, 2021

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

John Murdoch posted:

All three DLCs have a problem of excess, arguably even worse than the main game. Instead of one enemy, why not three? And when you're done with those, round the corner and fight two more for good measure.

This is exactly it. It's my biggest criticism of this game (which, to be clear, I love), and the DLCs are the worst about it. DS:R had a couple of areas like this (like Duke's Archives) but the worst of it had nothing on DS2. I'm thinking back to a few weeks ago when I moaned about the run to Four Kings:

quote:

Two elevators, six ghosts, at least five of those black knights. Come on. And some enemies are placed in tight corridors so you can't even run past them.

How positively quaint! Little did I know.

I'm going to hold off on reading the spoilers because I haven't given up just yet. Given what you all have said about Sir Alonne it makes sense to stick with it for a little longer, and yeah, I actually forgot about despawning enemies. I'm not sure whether to thank the devs for this mechanic or condemn them for using it as a crutch for poor enemy placement / encounter design.

And I want to take back what I said about wishing one of the Gank Squad's melee guys was slower. That was stupid. It would ruin it. This fight is an absolute riot, it's relentless and frantic in a completely mad way that only Capra Demon can match I think, and the fact that you're getting charged all the goddamn time is essential to it. I don't care how many times these guys murder me. :allears: I take it this is an optional fight, which is interesting because it means I've missed something elsewhere in Shulva. Not surprising considering I basically ran through the Sanctum.

I also seem to have gradually, over the past ten hours or so, switched weapons, and now my main is a Large Club. Neither the Magic Mace nor the Winged Spear were doing enough damage for the DLCs, and I pumped my STR up so much while doing the Burnt Ivory King fight I figured I'd try some of these heavier weapons that suddenly became useable. Turns out two-handing a giant club and slamming fools into the ground with a strong attack owns. It started out as backup to the mace but now I think it's the other way around. I miss the spear's range but it wasn't getting the job done. I considered having McDuff do some work on it but I'm too indecisive about which way to go with it. Maybe just raw physical damage?

The club's a little weird when used with a shield, though, somehow it ends up missing a lot and by a lot, as if the lock-on trips up or something. Obviously it's very slow, but I don't have the same problem when two-handing it. Maybe some quirk of the animation / hit box / whatever.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
If memory serves, magic was nerfed for the DLC by giving bosses, if not most enemies, much higher magic resistance. I am not sure how that interacts with Scholar if the First Sin, but yeah

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

nordichammer posted:

If memory serves, magic was nerfed for the DLC by giving bosses, if not most enemies, much higher magic resistance. I am not sure how that interacts with Scholar if the First Sin, but yeah

Reminds me of the guy who did a throwables only run of the game.

https://i.imgur.com/ZPrlE9V.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-YQK1C54iE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Glare Seethe posted:

I take it this is an optional fight, which is interesting because it means I've missed something elsewhere in Shulva. Not surprising considering I basically ran through the Sanctum.

Yup, you've still got the rest of the DLC to find. You're looking for the doodad to plug into the mechanism at the bottom of the area. Thankfully IIRC it's not actually all that well hidden - most of the really puzzly bits of Shulva are just for extra loot - but you do have to do a little bit of sleuthing for it.

Glare Seethe posted:

I also seem to have gradually, over the past ten hours or so, switched weapons, and now my main is a Large Club. Neither the Magic Mace nor the Winged Spear were doing enough damage for the DLCs, and I pumped my STR up so much while doing the Burnt Ivory King fight I figured I'd try some of these heavier weapons that suddenly became useable. Turns out two-handing a giant club and slamming fools into the ground with a strong attack owns. It started out as backup to the mace but now I think it's the other way around. I miss the spear's range but it wasn't getting the job done. I considered having McDuff do some work on it but I'm too indecisive about which way to go with it. Maybe just raw physical damage?

The club's a little weird when used with a shield, though, somehow it ends up missing a lot and by a lot, as if the lock-on trips up or something. Obviously it's very slow, but I don't have the same problem when two-handing it. Maybe some quirk of the animation / hit box / whatever.

Big smashy strength weapons are my forte and they do indeed rule big time. I don't know what your stats look like, but generally you always want to go for normal, un-infused +10 with those if you have the strength to feed them. Anything else ruins the scaling.

I've never used one with a shield, but I have had that happen from time to time. It is worth remembering you can influence the direction of your swing mid-attack which tends to be much more important when you're swinging a giant log around.

Edit: Might be worth posting where your stats are at, cuz then we can make more tailored suggestions. I mean, you can beat the entire game with a regular mace (or two!) in hand, but a magic mace...ehh I dunno about that so much.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 26, 2021