Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, kind of a silly tweet along the lines of "100 WOW gold can be bought for 1 IRL dollar, so a mount that costs 100k gold is worth 1000 dollars - so people are spending a thousand bucks on fake online animals, what is the world coming to"

i have no idea how scarce robux are or how to get them but if someone has a big stash of them that are otherwise useless and decides to spend them on an equally useless fancy hat, who cares? this doesn't really say anything about NFTs or the new digital economy or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Looking up Roblox, it looks like there's more ways than just buying them outright to generate Robux, and it doesn't look like you can redeem robux for real money or game time like with Eve or Secondlife, so it's really not actual money being spent. That money belongs to microsoft now, these are just the funbux economy circulating.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
In game cosmetics can at least be used to make your character look cool, unlike NFTs which can do ?????

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

In game cosmetics can at least be used to make your character look cool, unlike NFTs which can do ?????

BRB making a NFT of a screencap of a character in Roblox with a Gucci cosmetic quoting your post.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

OctaMurk posted:

one of the first uses of nfts was to allow trading videogame items ~on the blockchain~ for some terrible bitcoiner videogame

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

one of the first uses of nfts was to allow trading videogame items ~on the blockchain~ for some terrible bitcoiner videogame

No one plays those Blockchain videogames for a reason.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Fame Douglas posted:

if you think about it, this is actually good for bitcoin gaming
fewer players mean we don't have to handle more than 7 trades per second

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

https://twitter.com/Lemonade_Inc/status/1396868192019099655

An insurance company brings back a methodology that was the second most racist pseudoscience since phrenology, but with AI!

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

xarph posted:

An insurance company brings back a methodology that was the second most racist pseudoscience since phrenology, but with AI!

Can wait to be denied because i have shifty eyebrows.

E:

https://twitter.com/Lemonade_Inc/status/1396868193029873664

lol that this is something you would say to the public, and not keep to an investor's pitch.

Look how good our AI is at denying your claims! Buy your policy today!.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Fame Douglas posted:

Counterpoint : I downloaded this today and I’m having a cool time riding stonks with my doge

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

xarph posted:

Hey, this is cutting edge discrimination. Besides the tradition discrimination against BiPoC, they have added discrimination against people with autism and people with disabilities. The left hand of Bob's face doesn't move. Thus he must be lying and not have had a stroke. One of Sally's eyes didn't move. She must be committing fraud. No way that's a glass eye.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Debate & Discussion > Tech Nightmares: We can disguise phrenology by using algorithms!

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I'm really curious what the base dataset they fed into this thing was. Like how exactly does this AI learn who is untrustworthy, unless they are investigating 100% of claims for a while to get a baseline? Since they are definitely not doing that, it has to be coming off of some prebuilt dataset, and the only ones I can think of are the ones that rate faces by perceived untrustworthyness from other observers.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Beelzebufo posted:

I'm really curious what the base dataset they fed into this thing was.

They interviewed people that said they could tell someone was lying "just by looking at them". :pseudo:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Beelzebufo posted:

E:

lol that this is something you would say to the public, and not keep to an investor's pitch.

My apartment complex recommended this company. I'm thinking I should probably get a new policy...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Beelzebufo posted:

I'm really curious what the base dataset they fed into this thing was. Like how exactly does this AI learn who is untrustworthy, unless they are investigating 100% of claims for a while to get a baseline? Since they are definitely not doing that, it has to be coming off of some prebuilt dataset, and the only ones I can think of are the ones that rate faces by perceived untrustworthyness from other observers.

They start by comparing your profile picture to a paper bag...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

:eyepop:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Beelzebufo posted:

Trustworthiness is inversely correlated with the propensity to file a claim. It’s an astonishingly robust relationship.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Beelzebufo posted:

Screenshotting this as Exhibit A in “insurance companies never made money by paying your claim”.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Beelzebufo posted:

No, this is something you tell the investors so they know you have a differentiator and a way to actually make a profit. You don't tell the public so that it's a "mystery" why their claims get denied.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Did they hire former Tesla accountants?

https://twitter.com/Lemonade_Inc/status/1396941058660048903

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

our insurance profits were great, as long as you don’t count the catastrophes that, you know, we insure against

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Also the price of Gucci stuff is quite disconnected from the cost of manufacturing it, so it's not even surprising that Gucci pixels are worth a bunch of money.

The secret behind luxury brands is that the insane price is the point.

They don't need to be well made or look good, they just need to be expensive and exclusive. The more the better.

Once someone gets to a certain level of wealth they reach a point where it is literally impossible to spend money faster than they make it.

Take someone with $1billion investing at 4% return. That's $40million a year for doing nothing

That's $770,000 a week. Every week. For the rest of their life.

At that point, the concept of something being 'too expensive' doesn't exist and the idea that something isn't expensive enough takes hold.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

evilweasel posted:

our insurance profits were great, as long as you don’t count the catastrophes that, you know, we insure against

Loss ratio is claims/premiums. So I would assume they were doing the typical VC tech thing in 2017 where they subsidized premiums with VC money. And now they raised premiums and are using it as justification that their tech magic has improved their loss ratios.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
New business idea: insurance company for cars, that has one devices that monitors how safely you drive, but all it’s really doing is using your car’s engine to mine Bitcoin and selling the data for where you drive to advertisers.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sundae posted:

New business idea: insurance company for cars, that has one devices that monitors how safely you drive, but all it’s really doing is using your car’s engine to mine Bitcoin and selling the data for where you drive to advertisers.

Lol and when your sub runs out the cars brakes turn off automatically

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Calumanjaro posted:

Loss ratio is claims/premiums. So I would assume they were doing the typical VC tech thing in 2017 where they subsidized premiums with VC money. And now they raised premiums and are using it as justification that their tech magic has improved their loss ratios.

the tweet said something to the effect of "our loss ratio was great"; then they did a follow-up tweet that said in essence "whoops we mean it was great once you remove catastrophes!" and the numbers made clear that, after catastrophes, it was bad

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Is it possible that the “catastrophes” were reinsurance claims so would be in a different grouping?

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

evilweasel posted:

the tweet said something to the effect of "our loss ratio was great"; then they did a follow-up tweet that said in essence "whoops we mean it was great once you remove catastrophes!" and the numbers made clear that, after catastrophes, it was bad

I think they deleted the tweet thread and can't read exactly what they said. But it's usual to distribute catastrophes over multiple years.

I read the tweets as "Our loss ratio's have improved due to our special tech". For this argument you would equally assign the catastrophic losses over both years.

Their loss ratio being high implies that their premiums are too low. I suspect this is because they are subsidizing premiums in order to gain customers, and will then jack them up later.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Calumanjaro posted:

I think they deleted the tweet thread and can't read exactly what they said. But it's usual to distribute catastrophes over multiple years.

I read the tweets as "Our loss ratio's have improved due to our special tech". For this argument you would equally assign the catastrophic losses over both years.

Their loss ratio being high implies that their premiums are too low. I suspect this is because they are subsidizing premiums in order to gain customers, and will then jack them up later.

they didn't say they spread them over multiple years. they said they didn't count them at all. an insurance company was not counting the impact of catastrophes in its statistic.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

they didn't say they spread them over multiple years. they said they didn't count them at all. an insurance company was not counting the impact of catastrophes in its statistic.

When your brainstorming session gives you lemons, make Lemonade.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

evilweasel posted:

The first tweet said 'our loss ratios after this great AI tech were ~75% whereas before they were terrible at 350%', then a second tweet said 'just to be clear as per our investor guidance in FY2021a blah blah actually our terrible loss ratio was because of the Texas storm' and I don't think they ever made a fair comparison.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Beelzebufo posted:

E:

https://twitter.com/Lemonade_Inc/status/1397564444247527427

https://twitter.com/rachelmetz/status/1397625251257753606

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
companies lying on twitter? ...or companies lying to the SEC & investors?? :getin:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Delta-Wye posted:

companies lying on twitter? ...or companies lying to the SEC & investors?? :getin:

You'd think investors would like that since the company isn't wasting time reviewing those applications.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
There's a new crypto fad in town

https://twitter.com/rbranson/status/1397598281975230464

This time we trade GPU cycles for Storage space!

Good luck getting an SSD at a good price.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

what about the electricity costs to keep them running?

Also, does whatever goofy bullshit their coin generation needs eventually kill the SSD?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Mister Facetious posted:

what about the electricity costs to keep them running?

Also, does whatever goofy bullshit their coin generation needs eventually kill the SSD?
Yeah it absolutely kills SSDs, they basically generate gigantic random "plots" on an SSD then move it to spinning disks which have to be kept spinning forever to do random samples. But the first SSD part has been absolutely destroying SSDs (I think derBeauer did some testing on Youtube about it as well).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

We really need to ban cryptocurrencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

GrandpaPants posted:

We really need to ban cryptocurrencies.

Which is why we will continue to embrace them as we slowly boil ourselves alive