Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

BurningCourage posted:

Plus if you can consistently pull off barrel bomb-metsu spam you can get big speedrunner damage on monsters even on the supposedly non-meta Hi Ninja.

lol, I can't even pull off guard pointing a roar. i haven't even _tried_ to gp a bomb

thanks for the advice, everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
I like the idea of “A new combat locale” but I get the feeling this just means a specific map for the final boss.

I’m hopeful in the future that the existence of Coral Palace will mean there exists something like the Coral Highlands and we get to see a few monsters from that area.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Roadmap looks a bit light on new monsters, but hopefully they're just not mentioning them yet.

Definitely going to be Lady D layered armor, though.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

chumbler posted:

Roadmap looks a bit light on new monsters, but hopefully they're just not mentioning them yet.

Definitely going to be Lady D layered armor, though.

Honestly it feels like we won't be getting any new monsters for a while. At least that is my vibe that I am getting.

Also, it seems like MH Stories 2 doesn't have too much to do with the first game? Though I am guessing the grandfather of the MC was the protagonist of the first game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

World new monster updates were a good few months apart right? I guess with 2.0 and 3.0 being them playing catchup to stuff that was intended for release, if we're to get further title updates they probably need more time, unless they just intend to save everything for a G rank expansion.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Oxyclean posted:

World new monster updates were a good few months apart right? I guess with 2.0 and 3.0 being them playing catchup to stuff that was intended for release, if we're to get further title updates they probably need more time, unless they just intend to save everything for a G rank expansion.

I suspect we'll get a 4.0 and 5.0 in the fall and winter respectively, with some minor events in-between, with a Rise Ultimate coming out next spring.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Achmed Jones posted:

lol, I can't even pull off guard pointing a roar. i haven't even _tried_ to gp a bomb

thanks for the advice, everyone!

SnS - For large and mega barrel bombs: with your weapon out (out is very important), place the bomb, then hold guard and press A to do the guard swipe attack with a guard point (blue aura). Then spam the input for Metsu Shoryugeku and you should be golden.

Metsu's guard point is front-only, so the explosion has to happen directly in front of you.

Reddit links:

Another explanation here.

Here's a nice video and rundown of some other barrel bomb tricks.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Can someone post a magna lbg build or video? I tried a slice/sticky build with magna and Zinogre guns and the Zinogre vastly out damages the magna by like tons. The magna gun gets like 3 ticks while the Zinogre easily gets 7 ticks of all the same damage. I must be doing something wrong

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Honestly it feels like we won't be getting any new monsters for a while. At least that is my vibe that I am getting.

Also, it seems like MH Stories 2 doesn't have too much to do with the first game? Though I am guessing the grandfather of the MC was the protagonist of the first game.

I thought the grandfather was the MC from the first game but apparently the sequel takes place like 8 years later. The MCs friend from his village was in the last trailer and she is young. Also the hunter guy looks the same too.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I know they’ve always used Rathalos as a series mascot, but I don’t know why both Stories games need to have a special one as the main monster. You don’t have to use them in game, but it is really boring.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Guilty posted:

Can someone post a magna lbg build or video? I tried a slice/sticky build with magna and Zinogre guns and the Zinogre vastly out damages the magna by like tons. The magna gun gets like 3 ticks while the Zinogre easily gets 7 ticks of all the same damage. I must be doing something wrong

Zinogre's better at slicing, yes.

The Magna LBG is good because it has all the ammo + big clip sizes. Spread 3, Sticky 3, Slicing, Normal 3. Sticky3 > KO > Spread3 to the face is a lot of easy damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lxleVhzRFc

e: newer video

LibrarianCroaker fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 26, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Zinogre gun is great for MP but sometimes risky solo because you can't move while shooting and some monsters won't get stunned from Slicing as easily as others

Magna LBG kills every enemy dead and will permastun 90% of them so it's kind of by default the best gun

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Zinogre gun is great for MP but sometimes risky solo because you can't move while shooting and some monsters won't get stunned from Slicing as easily as others

Magna LBG kills every enemy dead and will permastun 90% of them so it's kind of by default the best gun

Zinogre is great, but yeah this is a big issue. I find it's easier to zone out and not pay attention in MP since the monster is just randomly running around and have carted because I'm not as mobile as I think I am with it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

lightrook posted:

Wait for someone to put up an SOS for it, then hop in, putter around, and look busy? If you manage not to cart then you're probably already above average by pubbie standards.

Few pages back but the regular Leshen is 1-player only as far as I know? You can't even use your gear, you gotta use Geralt :negative: Considering it's the last monster I have left to max out, I guess I'll just tough it out.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

It occurs to me that because Rise is coming to PC, we won’t see cool crossovers like in Generations, where you got Mario and Luigi Palico sets or Samus’s armor :sadfan:

Minecraft has Nintendo stuff, you just can’t use it in cross play.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rocket League for Mario/Metroid content too (that only Switch can see)

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I’ve never fought Valstrax but he looks hella rad

Too bad he sounds like medicine for a genital rash

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
he is

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

With Apex Zinogre coming and probably being the last apex for a while, I wonder if we'll get a Rampage armor set using all the apex materials.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Are we looking at a 8PMish EST release for this like we had last time the preview said the update was for the next day?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Deified Data posted:

Are we looking at a 8PMish EST release for this like we had last time the preview said the update was for the next day?

Yes, that is the explicit time mentioned in the preview

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it always goes off of japan time zone stuff and given that japan generally rolls over to the next day before a lot of other places that's kind of why it works the way it does

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Is crimson glow valstrax three times faster than a regular valstrax?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I hope his comet attack is an insta-kill no matter what.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

chumbler posted:

Is crimson glow valstrax three times faster than a regular valstrax?

By ork rules, yes

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Some of the existing Rampage-only Apexes will be available too, which is cool. Hopefully, all. Does sound like no new mons for a while after that, so I hope that "Etc." in the slide has some other stuff in it. Need new mons or new levels of existing mons to grow the armor and weapon trees.

Kinda disappointing there's no Tempered/Arch-tempered equivalent in the end game, the Apexes are very limited. Just a simple bump to damage would be nice to keep it interesting.

Can't decide whether to come back to Rise for this update or to stick with Iceborne till I'm done (at 4* MR), probably the latter as it's been a lot of fun.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
What skills did Valstax armor favor? Not that I expect a variant to be identical.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

They showed off fighting Apex Zinorge in the Shrine Ruins so it seems like all the apexes have non-rampage quests now.

All that's left is Ibushi.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

https://mhgu.kiranico.com/armor/5e3b4 for the BM Valstrax set and gunner's linked top left.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Electric Phantasm posted:

They showed off fighting Apex Zinorge in the Shrine Ruins so it seems like all the apexes have non-rampage quests now.

All that's left is Ibushi.

Did Apex Diablos get a quest?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Hmm, I own World for PS4 and own a PS5. Is iceborn included in the Greatest hits thing for free for PS5 folks or just base World?

Otherwise I guess I could bug some folks to see if anyone has a physical copy of iceborn I could buy off them, or I guess 30 bucks isn't BAD but ehhhh

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Valstrax was a really cool fight in MHGU so looking forward to it in Rise. Probably my favourite when compared to Magnamalo/Nergigante.

Also I do hope Nerg makes it in Rise at some point.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I really like Nerg and Nerg secretly likes me. I make his hair stand on end.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

v1ld posted:

https://mhgu.kiranico.com/armor/5e3b4 for the BM Valstrax set and gunner's linked top left.

Am i dumb or is this saying that valtrex armor gives attack +17? I've never used kiranico so I don't know how to read it

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Before World, skills worked differently, and procced at thresholds of, generally, 10, 15, and 20. So full Valstrax would offer 17 points of Attack, enough to proc the first two thresholds.

Any points towards skills that didn't reach 10 would do nothing.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Guilty posted:

Am i dumb or is this saying that valtrex armor gives attack +17? I've never used kiranico so I don't know how to read it

It gives +17 to the Attack skill, not your actual Attack damage value. As you bump up the Attack skill, you activate higher levels which gives you damage like so: https://mhgu.kiranico.com/skill/4da84

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Guilty posted:

No, it gives 17 points toward the attack skill. Pre-world skills worked differently. You'd need points in them to meet certain thresholds before they'd activate or strengthen. If you click on the skill you'll see that attack up has thresholds at 10, 15, and 20, so 17 points gives you attack up M.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Guilty posted:

this is from Generations where skills worked on a points system. 10 Attack points gave you Attack Up Lvl. 1, 15 points gave you Attack Up Lvl. 2, and 20 Attack points gave you Attack Up Lvl. 3

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
There were also negative skills which would penalize you for having -10 or more in a skill, so you could lose attack or go further into negative affinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Oh, also, how is Stories? I never played it but I'm liking the MH setting more and more so I was going to look into it.

I could wait until 2 comes out and just go in, but thought I'd ask about opinions on 1.