Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Which Switch Axes should I be aiming to make?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J7sSWBb42a-IVBFACRGtJsfA_aXs7Kw-qlTE5M9hATk/edit#gid=223744378

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I loathe bullet hell games and mechanics, but I actually really enjoyed the last boss. Got it on my first try solo playing very defensively, took me nearly 30mins, the end of which saw my Palico landing the last hit while I was off drinking a potion.

Valstrax is a ridiculously fun fight and it's like facing off against a giant, living gunlance. Its armor set looks fun and possibly like you'd never take serious damage ever again with it fully upgraded.

They did Valstrax's gunlance dirty, though. Long level 4. Oof.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

I'm still salty that they wasted the best Swaxe name on a progression portion of the tree instead of the end cap for one.

Axe Semper Tyrannis! It can't be topped!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ah, the feeling of carting 3 times in a row while Proof of a Hero plays.
Final boss was really fun.

What’s the best way to get from 50 to 100 now? I want to shoryuken the fighter jet

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Augus posted:

Ah, the feeling of carting 3 times in a row while Proof of a Hero plays.
Final boss was really fun.

What’s the best way to get from 50 to 100 now? I want to shoryuken the fighter jet

Rampages with Apexes will give you like 4 to 10 HR levels a pop.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The main annoying thing is that I had no idea how to dodge the dragonator grinder attack without just rolling into a corner for 30 seconds which isn't fun, until I accepted that you're not supposed to try and actually duck and weave between them

I waited for the big orb to disappear and then ran into the middle and started smacking her and that worked pretty well

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i really don't understand giving the valstrax gunlance long level 4. it's 13th place on the leaderboards. A touch more damage on one of its weapons would not have killed it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Impermanent posted:

i really don't understand giving the valstrax gunlance long level 4. it's 13th place on the leaderboards. A touch more damage on one of its weapons would not have killed it.

They seem to think that players will take Gunlances with lower shelling levels in exchange for the weapon other benefits, when actually it's Lv.5 shelling or gtfo.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Did the final boss solo with Dual Blades and had a blast with it. Love when Proof of a Hero kicks on during a fight.

The fight took me 30 minutes so I’m not dying to do it again, but it was a very cool one-and-done fight. Now I’m gonna go fight a Fighter Jet.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
What's the point of the echo mode switch skill when magnificent trio is a thing?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The unlockable quests when you finish all of the 7* quests get real nasty real quick :catstare:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Neo_Crimson posted:

They seem to think that players will take Gunlances with lower shelling levels in exchange for the weapon other benefits, when actually it's Lv.5 shelling or gtfo.

They need to get rid of shelling levels all together and go back to the drawing board. Love the fun lance but it’s sucks that most of them are Just Worse.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Valstrax is insane. Just flies off and comes back down and gets a multi kill

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Knuc U Kinte posted:

They need to get rid of shelling levels all together and go back to the drawing board. Love the fun lance but it’s sucks that most of them are Just Worse.

They just need to make shells scale with raw like stickies do.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Neo_Crimson posted:

They just need to make shells scale with raw like stickies do.

Yup. Or do something even more radical and make it like bowgun ammo or the IG bug and have a separate item you can upgrade and customize. Load poison shells into any gunlance, swap between shelling type etc. Could be cool.

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

Reiche posted:

Personally I don’t think elemental is that good on swaxe outside of niche spots, but someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Seen speedrunners use rathalos on chameleos/Goss, fall drache (probably beaten by valstrax now) on rathalos and the mizu sword on teostra, so there's a few matchups at least.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Valstrax is insane. Just flies off and comes back down and gets a multi kill

It owns and I am determined to counter it with a shoryuken no matter how many carts it takes.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Crowetron posted:

It owns and I am determined to counter it with a shoryuken no matter how many carts it takes.

Never could get the timing down for that one. I'll go with the LongSword counter to kill, thank you.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
If it does work, please let us know, because the HBG counter just resulted in me eating poo poo.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Impermanent posted:

Is this the only GL update in the patch? That sounds really loving lame if so.

Nothing about this patch sounds interesting. Apex mons we've already seen, check. And a spectacle boss fight?

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I just fought Valtrax and I attempted to block the divebomb with GL. I managed to survive with a sliver of HP, but that was with the 4 or so HP spiribugs I picked up on the way. Everyone else was like a mile away when I got hit.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Deified Data posted:

What's the point of the echo mode switch skill when magnificent trio is a thing?

Blasting a lot of instant-effect songs like healing or sonic waves really quickly, and hitting with shockwaves on monsters who keep their head high a lot like Goss and Apex Bear.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

v1ld posted:

Nothing about this patch sounds interesting. Apex mons we've already seen, check. And a spectacle boss fight?

Rampage gunlance can hit shelling level 5 now. I don’t know how the math compares to the other gunlances since there’s so many variables to tweak, but if it’s not #1 for a shelling type it should be a close second, with the option of doing otherwise impossible combos like sleep/paralyze with level 5 shelling.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

v1ld posted:

They also got upgrades to the Rampage GL and the existing Elder Dragon trees. Which I think is the case for most weapons.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Deified Data posted:

You only need one note to trigger song effects with ZR, and the ZR attack turns from the i-frame breakdance into a really quick and satisfying golf swing/overhead strike that hits monster heads really easily.

After playing extensively with both Performance (ZR breakdance) and Echo (ZR golf swing) modes, they both feel like they have their place, and personally I prefer Echo mode. I played a lot of Hunting Horn in World and enjoyed the nuance of being able to whip out any specific attack at virtually any time for whatever the situation demanded, and Echo mode feels closest to that style of play. Performance's ZR attack is nice and tanky but it's less mobile.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuS4CFqBeQw

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Galaxy Brain Play on that ambush

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I admit, I loved HH in the demo but steered away from it on release because part of me figured it'd be where LS or LBG are right now after its total revamp and I didn't want to be "HH guy #3" in every other hunt I do online. That said I haven't noticed much if any uptick in its popularity at all in Rise compared to World, which is surprising yet also encouraged me to give it a go. It just feels so right, they really knocked it out of the park. The "support weapon" stigma is ironically the weapon's greatest weakness and greatest strength - on one hand no one wants to play it, on the other almost every horn (of equal rarity at least) is viable in some fashion, as a good song list can trump bad damage or bad affinity and vice versa. I have never felt gimped by just picking the coolest looking horns coasting with whatever bonuses they bring.

Speaking of support, I had a great nail-biter of a Valstrax hunt last night which saw me join 3 other hunters who managed to get 2 carts in like the first 5 minutes of the hunt, causing 2 of them to immediately abandon ship, leaving just me and the host (who was one of the players who carted). I kept my eye on their icon on the map to see what they'd end up doing since I didn't want to abandon while there was still someone playing, but to my surprise they stuck with it and rejoined me. We had two others join who were blissfully unaware of how close we all were to 3-carting. I brought the fantastic rampage horn with the healing song set and the song-duplicating silkbind and carried the host past the finish line with almost constant healing. I was certain we were going to fail but it's true what people say, it's genuinely hard for the monster to out-damage the healing from that horn.

Anyway of course I got a gem from that hunt, as I always seem to do on hunts where lots of people drop with 1 cart left. Those really are the best hunts in the game and IMO something you can really only share with complete strangers.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I'm really happy, as a HH player, for layered rampage weapons. Lets me use that delightful Magia Charmbell skin with a good weapon. :iia:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm really happy, as a HH player, for layered rampage weapons. Lets me use that delightful Magia Charmbell skin with a good weapon. :iia:

fungisax is s-tier weapon skin

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Do rampage skins change the tone of the horn to the skin you chose?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Familiarity with Valstrax helps. I got wiped out once with a zombie gunlance setup, went back with a cheesy bazel Lance set and slowly wound it up from cautious to nope-nope-nope by the end. The blunt-damage invinci-charge is very useful both for no-selling quick hits and breaking the wings when they’re in the ground.

PS: take gourmet fish, they’re good for chip damage.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 28, 2021

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Devlan Mud posted:

fungisax is s-tier weapon skin

That's my Attack Melody II horn's skin. :sax:

Deified Data posted:

Do rampage skins change the tone of the horn to the skin you chose?

Yes!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Haven't had a chance to check out the 3.0 update yet. I heard the new gunlances all suck, but rampage gunlance can get to level 5 shelling now. Anybody have an idea of a good rampage gunlance with long shelling for wyrmstake spam?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

404notfound posted:

Haven't had a chance to check out the 3.0 update yet. I heard the new gunlances all suck, but rampage gunlance can get to level 5 shelling now. Anybody have an idea of a good rampage gunlance with long shelling for wyrmstake spam?

This person is generally the gunlance reference and posted a 3.0 rampage gunlance guide, though it's focused on raw since wyrmstake spam is apparently weak now due to lack of scaling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdLQJaPiMKg

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Is there a way to actually dodge the Valstrax ambush if you don’t have a counter? I’m constantly getting rocked by him. Fun fight though.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Gaukler posted:

Is there a way to actually dodge the Valstrax ambush if you don’t have a counter? I’m constantly getting rocked by him. Fun fight though.

sheath your weapon, wait until he begins the dive, point yourself away from him (important), start running and press the roll button while you're holding the sprint button. you'll do a huge dive that you're completely invincible for the duration of. this works for basically everything, but you need to be running away from an aggro'd monster for it to work unless you have the leap of faith skill on your armor.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Well hell if I just get two orbs per run farming will go pretty quick.

https://twitter.com/Saint_Freak/status/1398419384377352196

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Caught up to the for real final boss and those were some pretty fun hunts! Going to be a bit before I can tackle the jet fighter dragon but looking forward to that after my experience in GU. Especially appreciated Kushala seeming like a more consistent fight without being at the mercy of its area denying tornadoes from World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Final fight question: What are the possible monsters that show up halfway through? I've had Teostra one fight and Magnamalo in the other