Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Staltran posted:

Like the Civ Beyond Earth tech web?

Huh, yeah, a bit, but in a very "first pass by someone not a UX designer" way.

Lawman 0 posted:

Ok now you gotta show us this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It bugs me how much space each card takes up in the tech window. Shrink them 50% in each direction you could easily fit like 16 cards in there.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Huh, yeah, a bit, but in a very "first pass by someone not a UX designer" way.

:(

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Replace tech cards with lottery scratch-off tickets.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Cease to Hope posted:

that, in fact, flattens the decision-making. if i can wait on a tech, then there's a decision to take it sooner or later. in stellaris, if a tech is ever going to be important, then i'm taking it now.

And if you have to choose between two long term important techs?

Short term gain vs potential long term gain is, like, the core concept of "strategy".

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

people choose mil techs over eco techs or vice versa in games with tech trees, too. there's no new "actual" layer of decisionmaking.

The actual layer of decision making comes from not knowing how soon a tech will appear again as opposed to always having it available as an option. Do I select this very important robotics tech now, not knowing when it might appear again, or do I continue focusing on ship upgrades?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cease to Hope posted:

a ton of stuff in all three tech categories is keyed off of the techs to improve your capital, in social research. this isn't obvious or intuitive and everyone seems to forget it's even a thing unless they read a guide that specifically reminds them of this

yeah that's true but once you research the capital line once and see what it does it'll be the first thing you pick every time if the card pops up at least :v:

also i've been thinking, the RNG of the tech cards kinda kills some choices for me. i get a tech choice i could really use right now, but if in the same draw there's also a very important or even rare tech, and i'll always go for that instead because RNG means i have no idea if it'll show up again in the next 30 years. i sorta counter that these days by going as hard on research as i can possibly afford so i'm seeing the first repeatables as early as ~2350, it really makes cleaning up rare/hard to get techs before endgame crises start easier lol

anyway, i'm currently playing a driven assimilator in a multiplyer game and uh, with the new "growth goes slower the longer you go" assimilators seem pretty much the best, especially for a war playthrough. you get the pop assimilation option on year 0, the assimilation is quick enough that even 100 pop planets will get integrated before they can rebel, and you get the simplicity and growth rate of a gestalt

i easily crashed the a fallen empire's party in 2360 while also at war with a giant purifier empire simply because they were in my way, and now i'm just gonna wait for the crisis to pop up. it's set at x10 so i'm looking forward to that lol

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Short term gain vs potential long term gain is, like, the core concept of "strategy".
There is a very long, very complicated discussion to be had about how compatible post-decision RNG is with the concept of tactics. If I choose to pass up terraforming and it doesn't roll again for 100 years did I make the wrong choice? If it rerolls on the next roll did I make the right one?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

The actual layer of decision making comes from not knowing how soon a tech will appear again as opposed to always having it available as an option. Do I select this very important robotics tech now, not knowing when it might appear again, or do I continue focusing on ship upgrades?

once again, this is econ versus mil. pottery versus bronzeworking. it's the same decisions you make when you're choosing a builder tech order versus a killer tech order in civ2. the difference in stellaris is sometimes you just only get offered pottery or weaker pottery.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

two long-term important techs isn't short term versus long term. i don't know what point you're trying to make now

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

The thing is, Powered Exoskeletons *does* have an icon on it that, when moused over, says it will enable the player to progress down the robotics path. This also applies to other techs, namely the weapon techs that branch off into specialized weapons like plasma cannons and etc.

imo the icon should be different for different tech paths. right now it's easy to miss the icon's existence entirely, and it's very...abstract. but if there was a big robot icon on powered exoskeletons, a power icon for the reactor techs, etc. i think it would be easier for players to learn.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Splicer posted:

There is a very long, very complicated discussion to be had about how compatible post-decision RNG is with the concept of tactics. If I choose to pass up terraforming and it doesn't roll again for 100 years did I make the wrong choice? If it rerolls on the next roll did I make the right one?

If you miss a 95%er in X-Com was it wrong to take the shot?

It's a bit of a red herring question - what's wrong is to play like 95%ers always hit, or indeed that 10%ers always miss if that's your best shot of surviving.

Truga posted:

yeah that's true but once you research the capital line once and see what it does it'll be the first thing you pick every time if the card pops up at least :v:

It's not at all transparent that it unlocks things. "Post hoc ergo propter hoc" isn't a good way to approach strategy games imo

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If you miss a 95%er in X-Com was it wrong to take the shot?
Answer mine and I'll answer yours.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's a bit of a red herring question - what's wrong is to play like 95%ers always hit, or indeed that 10%ers always miss if that's your best shot of surviving.
It's extremely not and the two examples aren't hugely comparable.

e: a hail mary shot when you don't have any other option isn't a tactical decision, and neither is shooting a 95% shot if there's no meaningful opportunity cost to doing so.
e2: and now I've already answered yours I suppose

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 28, 2021

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
So something that actually would be great is if there was a better slave market. It sucks to be constantly getting pings all game long that my species is for sale, but then having those slaves get picked up almost instantly by the AI and therefore not even be buyable. I want to liberate all my enslaved brethren that I can, preferably without having to pause/unpause over and over. Some sort of automatic auctioning system would be excellent, but really anything that prevents the system from pinging over and over and over would be lovely.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I really have no idea what situation would make you want to give away precious, precious pops.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Splicer posted:

It's extremely not and the two examples aren't hugely comparable.

The answer to "do I take terraforming" is going to be weighted by how much it fucks you up if you don't get it for ages, just as "do I take this shot" depends on the outcomes. Evaluating post facto how correct decisions were by their randomly determined outcome is 100% a fool's errand and that makes the examples directly comparable. In short: a decision isn't wrong because it had a bad outcome, and a decision isn't right because it had a good outcome.

For basically any competitive game with a big probability element (card games mostly, eg MtG and Poker) there are endless blog posts and newbie guides about how to understand and plan for variance. The process doesn't change between different games, although the probabilities in Stellaris are a lot more hidden than "what's the chance of the opponent topdecking an out" in magic, for example.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 28, 2021

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

And Tyler Too! posted:

Replace tech cards with lottery scratch-off tickets.

Lawman 0 posted:

I really have no idea what situation would make you want to give away precious, precious pops.

What if you fed them to a giant pink bowed space dragon and she gave you scientists that had fabulous costumes and their own unique deck of techs? UNIQUE IDEA DO NOT STEAL

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Anias posted:

What if you fed them to a giant pink bowed space dragon and she gave you scientists that had fabulous costumes and their own unique deck of techs? UNIQUE IDEA DO NOT STEAL

I assume this is how it works in the stellaris mobile game

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The answer to "do I take terraforming" is going to be weighted by how much it fucks you up if you don't get it for ages, just as "do I take this shot" depends on the outcomes. Evaluating how correct decisions were by their randomly determined outcome is 100% a fool's errand and that makes the examples directly comparable. In short: a decision isn't wrong because it had a bad outcome, and a decision isn't right because it had a good outcome.
And that would be the point, yes. The more disconnected the results are from the actions of you and your opponents the less "tactical" something is (e: this is an oversimplification but good enough). Narrowing down where something moves from "tactical (but you have to hedge your bets)" to "RNG bullshit" is where things get long and complicated, but I'm of the opinion that the current card system in the context of the rest of the game is on the RNG bullshit side.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 28, 2021

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Splicer posted:

I'm of the opinion that the current card system in the context of the rest of the game is on the RNG bullshit side.

Agreed (see also my suggested variation on your "scientist jobs to force certain techs" post), although the bullshit aspect is imo mostly down to how opaque the whole thing is.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
What if there were a LOT more uninteresting filler techs and the game went heavier on the "+x tech cards drawn" mechanic?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

ShadowHawk posted:

What if there were a LOT more uninteresting filler techs and the game went heavier on the "+x tech cards drawn" mechanic?

Then my scrolling finger would get an additional workout but my choices would be less interesting. Exercise versus gaming, the age-old tradeoff.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ShadowHawk posted:

We're again hitting UI issues. Once you get beyond 4 or 5 cards it gets kind of dumb. If the UI was revamped so that a dozen or so cards were easily viewable then a whole rakeload of better options become more viable, like the cumulative card rolls version.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
I'm not going to Post The Tech Tree in case we decide to re-use some aspect of it in a future design (we probably shouldn't), but I can say that not knowing what comes next was an integral design goal even back then. What made it not great was it being a semi-hierarchical tree made of hex-shaped containers where a) you wouldn't research over time but buy techs with science resources you accumulated b) you'd work your way down a branch to unlock a promising-looking Physics hex only to find it filled with absolute garbage c) that you then had to research to unlock the next hex.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

LordMune posted:

I'm not going to Post The Tech Tree in case we decide to re-use some aspect of it in a future design (we probably shouldn't), but I can say that not knowing what comes next was an integral design goal even back then. What made it not great was it being a semi-hierarchical tree made of hex-shaped containers where a) you wouldn't research over time but buy techs with science resources you accumulated b) you'd work your way down a branch to unlock a promising-looking Physics hex only to find it filled with absolute garbage c) that you then had to research to unlock the next hex.

oh my god it was science lootboxes

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lawman 0 posted:

I am usually willing to trade away six drones for the Waste Reprocessing Center from the Racketeers. It is really good in the early game and not too bad later.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Ascendancy and it was glorious. Patch scrollwheel support in and it would stand up today.

From the previous page, and yes the UI was lovely but a very large number of techs were relatively useless, despite being cool in concept (a gun that does no damage but bounces opponents away? Sounds cool, but there's this other gun that just blows them up). Ironically, a lot of these would suit Stellaris much more: pacifists being able to use tractor beams, hyperlane blockers and bouncy balls to repel opponents without killing them would be very cool.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LordMune posted:

not knowing what comes next was an integral design goal even back then.
I really do get this as a design goal for a tech tree and I love it when a game pulls off stuff like this but there are so many reasons Stellaris doesn't and a bunch of them aren't even directly tech tree related.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

ShadowHawk posted:

The way I'd go about it is rip all the filler out, only have interesting tech cards, and then move all the incremental bonuses into the act of researching a tier of tech. So a tier one tech would give you whatever neat thing, plus like 1% research speed, 1% worker output, etc.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ZypherIM posted:

The way I'd go about it is rip all the filler out, only have interesting tech cards, and then move all the incremental bonuses into the act of researching a tier of tech. So a tier one tech would give you whatever neat thing, plus like 1% research speed, 1% worker output, etc.
Yes yes a thousand times yes, and someone is about to chime in and say which game it was already did this because I forget the name, I haven't played it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

From the previous page, and yes the UI was lovely but a very large number of techs were relatively useless, despite being cool in concept (a gun that does no damage but bounces opponents away? Sounds cool, but there's this other gun that just blows them up). Ironically, a lot of these would suit Stellaris much more: pacifists being able to use tractor beams, hyperlane blockers and bouncy balls to repel opponents without killing them would be very cool.
I meant it was visually glorious and I at least found it fun and easy to use, bar the scroll wheel thing making it unplayable these days. I make no comments about the actual utility of individual techs against the famously bad AI, but I did like playing with the weird weapons.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 28, 2021

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ZypherIM posted:

So one thing I was thinking about with the idea of having a Tech Target that increases the odds to give you the options is that you could tie a lot of the incidental filler techs into sitting a scientist in that target area, with the progress scaled by your tech output. Scrub out all the repeatables at the same time.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

I meant it was visually glorious and I at least found it fun and easy to use, bar the scroll wheel thing making it unplayable these days. I make no comments about the actual utility of individual techs against the famously bad AI, but I did like playing with the weird weapons.

I really mix the 90s 4x trend of weird weapons, my previous comments about Ascendancy tech notwithstanding. MOO2's beam weapons and their various mods were great fun. You could do quite well with neutron beams and assault shuttles if you chose to lean into it.

That reminds me: @LordMune ship boarding when?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

That reminds me: @LordMune ship boarding when?
It would make sense as part of a large scale armies revamp which according to the q&a is never gonna happen.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I really wish I liked ES2 more, the UI pisses me off for some reason.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

people choose mil techs over eco techs or vice versa in games with tech trees, too. there's no new "actual" layer of decisionmaking.

so if there is no true difference, you're perfectly fine with the tech system in Stellaris? good talk

LordMune posted:

The only thing this could be worse would be if the player also has to enter their credit card details and pay real money to unluck techs :allears:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Splicer posted:

I really do get this as a design goal for a tech tree and I love it when a game pulls off stuff like this but there are so many reasons Stellaris doesn't and a bunch of them aren't even directly tech tree related.

I get that you think we developers live in a bubble blissfully unaware of criticisms of the game, but I can assure you we do not. Recalling some truly ancient pre-release designs wasn't me angling for put-downs, stuff like this is extremely tiring to read.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Libluini posted:

so if there is no true difference, you're perfectly fine with the tech system in Stellaris? good talk

the original point is that it didn't accomplish the goal of being a meaningful improvement over tech trees

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I got like 6 species in my empire, and an empire population of about 200~ more or less. I am running modded, but when I open the species tab to mod a species, my robots, or set rights, I get a massive drop in frame rate and the menu becomes almost unusable from lag. Species mods I am using is a dimorphism portrait pack, More trait picks from 5 to 10, and Just More Traits. In addition, Diverse Planets, which adds a bunch of planet types to pick habitability from. As soon as I close the menu, fps goes back to normal, and I can play at normal speed, but Im now sitting on an extra 4 trait points to all species, 2 for my robots, that I cant use. Is there something I can adjust to fix this?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

SirTagz posted:

* Some techs are randomly removed for every player so everyone gets a different set of techs every game (the grayed out techs would not be present in the UI at all).

I hate this, and would immediately make a day 1 mod to remove that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lawman 0 posted:

If you start as a lost colony and your parent empire gets conquered, there's a good chance you can pick up a ton of your main species' pops on the slave market.