Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Judakel posted:

that's finished tho. but i guess they bring you back every other movie.

that movie looks like poo poo, by the way

he's in Obi Wan

e: and idk if we can even say the movie looks like poo poo (unless you mean visually), the trailer reveals almost nothing, which I'm guessing means it's kind of a mess and they're still tinkering with the edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Judakel posted:

that's finished tho. but i guess they bring you back every other movie.

that movie looks like poo poo, by the way

it's real z tier as far as properties go, really scraping the bottom of the barrel. i suppose we might see a Rom the Space Knight movie someday at this rate.

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
oooh hes ripped because of that marvel movie, i forgot he was in that. that movie looks like it was shot in a parking lot

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

uber_stoat posted:

it's real z tier as far as properties go, really scraping the bottom of the barrel. i suppose we might see a Rom the Space Knight movie someday at this rate.

I've read thousands of Marvel comics and have no loving idea who the Eternals are

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

indigi posted:

I've read thousands of Marvel comics and have no loving idea who the Eternals are

i never read anything with them in it and i only know anything about them at all because Kirby worked on it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

at first I thought they were just rebranded Inhumans but apparently they're doing an Inhumans movie or series too

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

once again, big ups to robert pattinson for telling WB to piss up a rope when they sent the steroid goblins to his house

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

once again, big ups to robert pattinson for telling WB to piss up a rope when they sent the steroid goblins to his house

i shudder to think of what terrible and monstrous form that very pretty man would have been transformed into if he let them put the super soldier serum in him.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gk07a_ALVs

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

indigi posted:

he's in Obi Wan

e: and idk if we can even say the movie looks like poo poo (unless you mean visually), the trailer reveals almost nothing, which I'm guessing means it's kind of a mess and they're still tinkering with the edit

looks boring, that's all. visually it looks fine.

i don't think they will be able to elevate this property like they did guardians of the galaxy.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i dont recognize the steroid man

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

indigi posted:

at first I thought they were just rebranded Inhumans but apparently they're doing an Inhumans movie or series too

They already did the inhumans 4 years ago and it got memory holed instantly. It was just aggressively bland garbage.

edit: wait...

quote:

In October 2019, Mount acknowledged rumors that a rebooted version of the Inhumans was being planned at Disney+, potentially starring Vin Diesel who had campaigned to portray Black Bolt before Mount was cast. Mount expressed support for such a reboot, hoping the property would get "another shot" with "the right home, the right tone, and the right vision overall"

ohh no

Pead has issued a correction as of 14:41 on May 28, 2021

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

i never read anything with them in it and i only know anything about them at all because Kirby worked on it.

They're supposed to be cosmic robot gods, I think?

I don't know, I only remember them for making fun of Machine Man in Nextwave.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Those are the Celestials, ancient space gods who created the Eternals. (It was the 1970s and von Däniken was popular.)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

indigi posted:

i just now realized those aren't the same group of people. inhumans, jupiter's whatever, eternals all seem to be completely identical. bad lighting/set design/costumes, varied levels of big name actors, no effort put into it besides making GBS threads out disposable IP-backed crap

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The Celestials are cool

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The only Eternals series worth a read is vol 1 written and drawn by Kirby from 1976-1978. It is definitely the weakest of his Big Two output. From what I understand is this movie is pulling from Vol 1, but mostly from the 2006 miniseries written by Gaiman and drawn by Romita Jr.

I think the trailer looked like poo poo and this might be the first Marvel movie I do not go see in the theater.

Also:

indigi posted:

The Celestials are cool

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
If I could produce/direct any Marvel movie, it would be a 120 minute long character study of Dr. Doom coming to terms with 9/11

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

drat horror queefs posted:

If I could produce/direct any Marvel movie, it would be a 120 minute long character study of Dr. Doom coming to terms with 9/11

Mine would be Jack of Hearts marvel zombies mini

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
The Marvel movies are bad and youre all mad at them--that's okay, I'll still keep watching that garbage

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

drat horror queefs posted:

120 minutes of

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
which begs the question, if 9/11 still happened in marvel superhero world, why did the thousands of superheroes who live in manhattan not go and stop 9/11?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

uber_stoat posted:

You can really see where Neon Genesis Evangelion got its inspiration

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

vyelkin posted:

which begs the question, if 9/11 still happened in marvel superhero world, why did the thousands of superheroes who live in manhattan not go and stop 9/11?

Yeah, why didn't the superheroes who testified in front of the UN security council about Iraqi WMDs stop 9/11. loving mystery that.

Did you know that Stark industries is one of the major investors in new mining operations in Afghanistan? Really a loving mystery

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

going only from memory, the eternals were created to shepherd human kind, and fight off the Deviants. If the celestials come back and judge humans to be unfit, they eat us all. this could be completely wrong though.

be wild to see if the Deviants are in the movie. literally a race of untermenschen. I love Kirby, but that bit is problematic

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Yeah, why didn't the superheroes who testified in front of the UN security council about Iraqi WMDs stop 9/11. loving mystery that.

Did you know that Stark industries is one of the major investors in new mining operations in Afghanistan? Really a loving mystery

Howard stark is MCU Allen dulles, change my mind

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

vyelkin posted:

I remember the old World of Darkness Tabletop RPG, a setting where literally every level of every government, corporation, and societal institution in the world is controlled by a conspiracy of Vampires/Werewolves/Wizards/etc. and has been for the entirety of human history. Yet none of them were aware the Holocaust was coming or knew it was happening until the end of WW2. A war they controlled both sides of.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I still think about how new White Wolf created an international incident by saying attacks on LGBTQ people in Chechnya were a vampire plot.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
superhero parapolitics would be a fun spin on the concept, shame only really Garth Ennis has touched on it to uh varying effect

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the problem is that society would be so radically different with superheroes that we can't actually process it, you can just make lovely guesses at the margins. it's like asking a bonobo to imagine what their community would be like if their alpha female's cerebral cortex was bigger. like if Superman revealed himself to exist today everything would be absolute chaos within a year and the geopolitical equilibrium would be completely upended, and that's just one dude

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Yeah. Just imagine what the US sending Dr Manhattan into Vietnam does to global politics

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Dr. Killjoy posted:

superhero parapolitics would be a fun spin on the concept, shame only really Garth Ennis has touched on it to uh varying effect

lol

indigi posted:

the problem is that society would be so radically different with superheroes that we can't actually process it, you can just make lovely guesses at the margins. it's like asking a bonobo to imagine what their community would be like if their alpha female's cerebral cortex was bigger. like if Superman revealed himself to exist today everything would be absolute chaos within a year and the geopolitical equilibrium would be completely upended, and that's just one dude

And will that one dude be a Dr manhattan type that happily fights a war for their government or is he the aloof liberal Superman who "catches us if we fall" but otherwise stays out of politics etc etc

Like, even just a genius inventing a basically limitless source of renewable energy would change the world entirely from the ground up in just a few years

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

McCloud posted:

lol
And will that one dude be a Dr manhattan type that happily fights a war for their government or is he the aloof liberal Superman who "catches us if we fall" but otherwise stays out of politics etc etc

Like, even just a genius inventing a basically limitless source of renewable energy would change the world entirely from the ground up in just a few years

dr manhattan didnt do it happily. he wasnt happy about anything

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

indigi posted:

Progenitor is a neat tabletop setting that's basically a 400 page sourcebook examining the impact from late Korean War or maybe Vietnam (when the first supe appears) through 1999 on a year by year basis.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/devtesla/status/1398378117631205377

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

And so I was forced to kill puppies and wear their skin

Also lmao

In a mid-credits scene, Cruella delivers two Dalmatian puppies (children of one of the Baroness' Dalmatians) named Pongo and Perdita to Roger and Anita, respectively.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

lmao

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

galagazombie posted:

I remember the old World of Darkness Tabletop RPG, a setting where literally every level of every government, corporation, and societal institution in the world is controlled by a conspiracy of Vampires/Werewolves/Wizards/etc. and has been for the entirety of human history. Yet none of them were aware the Holocaust was coming or knew it was happening until the end of WW2. A war they controlled both sides of.

This is really overstating the case for oWoD. Most werewolves put a lot of effort to keep themselves separate from humanity save for their kinfolk - plus their duties take them away into the spirit world half the time. Changelings are too busy yelling "gently caress you dad I'm not working in your BANK!" to exert much influence outside their immediate surroundings. Ghosts are literally stuck in another plane of existence.

Vampires are the ones with the most control over the mortal world but 1) there are limits to how much influence they can exert, and 2) there are always other vampires exerting influence in the other direction, sometimes just to be a dick, so sometimes their efforts just counter each other out.

That said, IIRC there were a couple clans of vampires and at least one werewolf tribe who were involved with the nazis, and while they didn't initiate the holocaust (that would have been in really bad taste, to make nazis poor victims of manipulation or whatever), they were canonically okay with what went down so they just let it happen or used it to their own ends.

Full disclosure: I used to do contract work for White Wolf in a lifetime ago.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
i am predicting south of 60 million for a quiet place part 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
nevermind thats the official prediction. i am going south of 50 then