Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think killing medics is considered bad form but isn't some kind of Hydaelyn war crime

In fact I wonder how "war crime" is even defined. In real life we have an actual international tribunal that decides those things, but not so much in FFXIV. I don't think the Eorzean Alliance and the Othard Alliance have hashed out a list of what is and isn't cool to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I feel like someone made a joke upthread about "do you really want a patch storyline that's bureaucratic readouts of the Eorzean Nuremberg trials" and my answer continues to be unironically yes

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There's irredeemable people like Sicinius (who's still at large oooh I can't wait to get that fucker for what he did to Dabog) but I can't help but like the ones like Daguza and Papaga. I hope now that the legion has crumbled in Bozja they can make a clean break.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Jetrauben posted:

That's totally fair. I think Bozja relies a lot on the field records, which is a nice touch - I actually really like the mechanic and want them to expand it to the main questline, I'd love a written set of character histories you collect through the MSQ and class quests - but it does mean that a fair chunk of the storyline ends up kind of a take-our-word-for-it.

Do we know how many of the Blades were former nobles? I got the distinct impression a good number of them were.

The blades are more warrior elites so a lot more of them come from either respected knighthood/bodyguard backgrounds or they're ex-imperial conscripts who broke free.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Blockhouse posted:

I think killing medics is considered bad form but isn't some kind of Hydaelyn war crime

In fact I wonder how "war crime" is even defined. In real life we have an actual international tribunal that decides those things, but not so much in FFXIV. I don't think the Eorzean Alliance and the Othard Alliance have hashed out a list of what is and isn't cool to do.

Yeah I don't think Hydaelyn actually has war crimes as such, and their war crimes would probably look a lot different than ours. I just use it in an out-of-text sense of "Bozja is portrayed as something of a moral quagmire."

Primal summoning would probably be like #1 on the list, for both valid ethical reasons and cynical for-the-benefit-of-great-powers reasons. Even in the rare cases it's used well - ironically, Ysayle is probably one of the great test cases of a "justified summoning," as are most of the prior summonings of Gunnhildr - it's just got huge potential for abuse.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I feel like someone made a joke upthread about "do you really want a patch storyline that's bureaucratic readouts of the Eorzean Nuremberg trials" and my answer continues to be unironically yes

Hell yeah

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

There's irredeemable people like Sicinius (who's still at large oooh I can't wait to get that fucker for what he did to Dabog) but I can't help but like the ones like Daguza and Papaga. I hope now that the legion has crumbled in Bozja they can make a clean break.

The finale says that they're reintegrating any captured imperial troops into the society instead of holding them prisoner or trying them for treason. Presumably anybody who didn't die explicitly in a fate or boss has a chance to show up again later in a more pacific era.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

The finale says that they're reintegrating any captured imperial troops into the society instead of holding them prisoner or trying them for treason. Presumably anybody who didn't die explicitly in a fate or boss has a chance to show up again later in a more pacific era.

Good! Let them live with their animal friends.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Someone should take Pagaga to Ala Mhigo to meet her father’s family

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Notes are pretty explicit on a couple of statuses (post-Bozja):

Lyon quo Helsos posted:

"Formerly a beastmaster of the IVth Imperial Legion, Lyon was blamed for the IVth Legion's defeat at Zadnor upon his return to Dalmasca, his punishment being a demotion to centurion and a lengthy spell in gaol. Then, half a year later, the unimaginable occurred─the assassination of Legatus Gabranth at the hands of Lyon.

The following information was obtained in an investigation carried out by the provisional government of Dalmasca:

Though Lyon served six months of his sentence, he was able to escape with the assistance of an accomplice within the IVth Legion. Rather than abscond when he had the chance, he instead infiltrated Gabranth's quarters in the dead of night. It is believed that the legatus had sustained injuries in battle with the Dalmascan resistance and was recuperating at the time, and that after an exchange of words, Gabranth accepted his fate before Lyon delivered the fatal blow. The assassin then set the room ablaze before fleeing Castrum Valnaini with his accomplice.

Following the IVth Legion's unconditional surrender, the resistance named Lyon as a wanted war criminal. Though a large bounty was placed on his head, his whereabouts remained unknown for some time.

Then, three months after the fall of his former legion, Lyon was sighted in Valnain by a member of Rumta-Zaraam, an organization─whose name means “the spear in the dark” in old Dalmascan─specializing in the hunting of escaped war criminals.

Lyon had come to turn over the former senior engineer of the IVth Imperial Legion's magitek detachment, Sicinius mal Vellutus, who was also a wanted man since his disappearance following the events at Zadnor. Once Lyon had handed over his captive, he vanished without a trace. The Rumta-Zaraam member who oversaw the matter assumed that Lyon was a mere bounty hunter, and failed to realize he was the man once feared as the Beast King. Sicinius himself was bound and unconscious at the time, and even when brought to trial, he seemed to be unaware that Lyon was the one who had captured him.

Why Lyon would seek to profit by turning in a former ally remains unclear. His bounty has since been raised, but no further sightings have been made.

Though the Rumta-Zaraam allowed Lyon to slip through their fingers, they were able to verify that he was accompanied by a young Lalafellin woman. There is reason to believe that she is Pagaga quo Vochstein, Lyon's suspected accomplice who has also earned herself a place on the wanted list."

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Sharkopath posted:

Instead of simply villains the Bozjan legion are people who have directly benefited from an egalitarian reform of their society that gave them advantage and opportunity they never would have gotten in the much more stratified and aristocratic social structure the empire replaced, and because of it are fiercely loyal to the new regime and as they continually lose ground are getting more and more desperate to stop what in their eyes are a blueblooded nobility intent on overthrowing it all and replacing it with the old way.

In another story they're the heroes, but it's not that story.

Very Matsuno, very Final Fantasy Tactics Ogre Battle

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

thetoughestbean posted:

Someone should take Pagaga to Ala Mhigo to meet her father’s family

field notes indicate she’s living on the run with Lyon currently

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Hogama posted:

Notes are pretty explicit on a couple of statuses (post-Bozja):

You can also talk to Meryall after the raid, she shows up in camp and tells you about the events of her fate chain in case you didn't see them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hmm I thought before that the stuff in Gabranth's field notes was a smokescreen but now that I've seen Lyon's I wonder. It does seem like they've wrapped up a lot more than I thought offscreen. Even Sicinius! Wtf!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Hmm I thought before that the stuff in Gabranth's field notes was a smokescreen but now that I've seen Lyon's I wonder. It does seem like they've wrapped up a lot more than I thought offscreen. Even Sicinius! Wtf!
I still think it's likely set-up for a further continuation into 6.0 and/or beyond. The notes are explicitly not from the IVth Legion's perspective, so they could all be set-up for whatever the Plan in the stinger is about.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hogama posted:

I still think it's likely set-up for a further continuation into 6.0 and/or beyond. The notes are explicitly not from the IVth Legion's perspective, so they could all be set-up for whatever the Plan in the stinger is about.

Yeah I hope so. That note just seemed a bit more explicit than the other one.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I have a feeling that most of the stuff in lyon and noah’s field notes is gonna get reiterated and covered again as the intro to whatever the next thing they do with Matsuno is, since they’re very clearly planning to do more what with the whole allagan weapon teaser. In particular: I believe that either Noah -is- dead but he ordered Lyon to kill him rather than succumb to whatever disease he had, or he faked his death with Lyon’s help. Either way, the idea that Lyon went rogue is not in keeping with his behavior at all, so there’s definitely some shenanigans about.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jetrauben posted:

The FATE does explicitly state "the targeting of chirugeons is normally frowned upon," and basically says it's just because they're too good at their jobs.

Have they ever gone into out of combat medical care and in combat healing because the last time I remember something explicit it was when Ishgardians were being amazed that their wounds were disappearing in an AST job quest.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

hobbesmaster posted:

Have they ever gone into out of combat medical care and in combat healing because the last time I remember something explicit it was when Ishgardians were being amazed that their wounds were disappearing in an AST job quest.

Ishgardians are also incredibly stupid and stuck in their ways. They try to prosecute a guy for heresy for growing the wrong type of Gysahl Greens

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sharkopath posted:

Instead of simply villains the Bozjan legion are people who have directly benefited from an egalitarian reform of their society that gave them advantage and opportunity they never would have gotten in the much more stratified and aristocratic social structure the empire replaced, and because of it are fiercely loyal to the new regime and as they continually lose ground are getting more and more desperate to stop what in their eyes are a blueblooded nobility intent on overthrowing it all and replacing it with the old way.

In another story they're the heroes, but it's not that story.

AKA Ivalice as balls.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's kinda weird because Ishgard has always had chirurgeons, that are functionally conjurers using Cure spells.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sharkopath posted:

One day they'll stop trying to control the horrible allagan monstrosities made with the souls of demons, but not today.

"Let's dig up this monster that will go out of control!"
"Better idea, let's dig up its gun, and drop some big rocks on the rest just to make sure."

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

The game in general is extremely inconsistent about the actual practical efficacy of healing magic, especially about how effective it is at healing life threatening trauma. In general it seems to hover around the idea that healing magic as practiced by the WoL is more like extremely efficient first aid.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

hobbesmaster posted:

It seems that there are chirugeons who are able to care for and repair wounds, and either avoid or treat infection; and then you have guys who can cast Cure or similar occasionally which may take care of infections and generally revitalize you from minor bashing and battering.

There is also Real Healer Magic which seems much rarer and can evidently actually glue your injuries together on the fly. Krile, Alph and presumably Urianger have this; so do you if you have a healer job crystal.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

My guess is that Lyon and Ashleia (and Fran and possibly Gabranth??) will show up in the next part of the Ivalice story (and i very much hope there's more, because I've really enjoyed the Bozja story), because of the reveal in Fran's notes about Ashelia being alive. I like the ambiguousness of the story, and the likeableness of most of the IV legion people, and the class tension n stuff.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Bruceski posted:

AKA Ivalice as balls.

Milleuda did nothing wrong

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
reminder that pagaga's dad is this loving guy

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The game in general is extremely inconsistent about the actual practical efficacy of healing magic, especially about how effective it is at healing life threatening trauma. In general it seems to hover around the idea that healing magic as practiced by the WoL is more like extremely efficient first aid.

I was thinking about this during the endwalker trailer - Alisaie is KO'd after her verholy cast, right?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Nessus posted:

It seems that there are chirugeons who are able to care for and repair wounds, and either avoid or treat infection; and then you have guys who can cast Cure or similar occasionally which may take care of infections and generally revitalize you from minor bashing and battering.

There is also Real Healer Magic which seems much rarer and can evidently actually glue your injuries together on the fly. Krile, Alph and presumably Urianger have this; so do you if you have a healer job crystal.

Yeah but that just makes it worse than Alphi or you couldn't do anything for Arvenald.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Cuts, bruises, gashes, sprains and minor breaks - fixable with healing magic in the field

That's how I've always taken it anyway

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Blockhouse posted:

reminder that pagaga's dad is this loving guy

Tell me more

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Once you start getting internal damage that's where cutscene magic stops working.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

sadly there's not a lot else to tell he's a bit character from Tactics Ogre that you can recruit and more or less has the exact personality mentioned in Pagaga's field notes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Veev posted:

Once you start getting internal damage that's where cutscene magic stops working.

You can stabilize people though like in that early SB cutscene where Krile yells at you for being a healer and not helping for the first and last time ever it seems.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Here's the Tactics Ogre Warren Report (minor spoilers for a different game entirely)

Warren Report on Ganpp posted:

The Beastmaster Ganpp

Ganpp Vochstein. Age 41. A Galgastani who once served his clan in battle. His coarse demeanor and haughty bearing rankle all those he meets, and he is not well-liked as a result. He avoids contact with others, preferring instead the company of beasts.

He came to lead a rag-tag group of bandits, but repented his ways after encountering Denam again.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, dude just showed up with high level beasts, which he could empower. Obda and Berda, two Griphons, were his main allies.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hobbesmaster posted:

You can stabilize people though like in that early SB cutscene where Krile yells at you for being a healer and not helping for the first and last time ever it seems.

It also comes up in ShB with the injured Eulmore catboy. Alph heals him. If you are also a healer, you pitch in.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I've always assumed chirugeons use a mix of alchemy and healing magic because they're really loving good at their jobs compared to their real life medieval counterparts

For instance Y'shtola getting nearly merked by Zenos at the start of Stormblood. A real life injury like that would probably end up being fatal or lead to a deadly infection and even in the best case take months of rest and physical therapy to recover from but thanks to the chirugeons she was just down for a few weeks after her condition was stabilized.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Eimi posted:

Yeah but that just makes it worse than Alphi or you couldn't do anything for Arvenald.
I figure Arenvald probably has injuries beyond the reach of this magic, like he actually had his leg eaten like a drumstick but Fordola was able to yank him loose. We obviously can't restore limbs or similar or Raubahn wouldn't have to wear his cape like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nessus posted:

I figure Arenvald probably has injuries beyond the reach of this magic, like he actually had his leg eaten like a drumstick but Fordola was able to yank him loose. We obviously can't restore limbs or similar or Raubahn wouldn't have to wear his cape like that.

Well it seemed like he took a pretty bad blow that sent him flying so I’m going to assume he had his internal organs damaged plus his spine got hosed up. Then Fordola basically dragged him out of the tower, which probably didn’t help.