Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

404notfound posted:

Final fight question: What are the possible monsters that show up halfway through? I've had Teostra one fight and Magnamalo in the other

I had a Kushala Daora show up on a solo fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I've been running with an exhaust phial Switch Axe for a bit, but I just read something that I need some confirmation on: are elder dragons immune to exhaust?

I'm gonna have to switch up my build if that's the case. :v:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I've been running with an exhaust phial Switch Axe for a bit, but I just read something that I need some confirmation on: are elder dragons immune to exhaust?

I'm gonna have to switch up my build if that's the case. :v:

They are, but Exhaust is still nice because it charges up so fast and the explosions still do damage even if they don’t cause exhaust.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Are there any surprise monsters that weren't in the trailer? If so which?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Ethiser posted:

They are, but Exhaust is still nice because it charges up so fast and the explosions still do damage even if they don’t cause exhaust.

drat, thanks. I made a fairly comfy build with Conqueress that pushes it into white sharpness and keeps it there with Protective Polish, but I may switch to the Diablos one or something for elder dragons.

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

Exhaust phials can also stun if you hit the head, so they're still useful against elders.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

drat, thanks. I made a fairly comfy build with Conqueress that pushes it into white sharpness and keeps it there with Protective Polish, but I may switch to the Diablos one or something for elder dragons.

Honestly unless you switch to a an Elemental one I’d just stick to Exhaust. Power Phial just charges so slowly, that you need to slot in Power Prolonger to really get a lot out of it.

I’d upgrade to the Tigrex Switch Ax when you can though. It’s Exhaust, naturally gets white sharpness and has good raw.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

404notfound posted:

Final fight question: What are the possible monsters that show up halfway through? I've had Teostra one fight and Magnamalo in the other

kush and teo. and i like to imagine that chameleos is there too

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Taurus and crew just cleared the advanced hunts. Man, those were some tough fights. Good thing I didn’t embarrass myself triple carting against the Valstrax/Rakna one!

:negative:

I had all previous HR hunts cleared so I unlocked the first Infernal Springs fight. Arena looks real cool and the fight should be a slaughter. Can’t wait to die a lot against it this weekend.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Is the Rise DLC just cosmetics like it was for World?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Yeah. Event quests are also technically content that you download but they're free like in the old games.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Ibushi & Narwa gear are finally useful. That's a thing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I didn't realize initially that with the ibushi and narwa sets you can (and should) mix them to tailor for the build you want, thematically consistent with the final boss. As long as all your pieces are from one or the other, you don't even lose the good luck skill, or 4 pieces from a single set and one piece from anything else. It's not meta by any stretch, but it packs a bunch of nice comfort skills in, and a good charm and weapon with some slots can still cover some slack. It's a really neat pair of armor sets in that regard.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I just got done with fighting Narwa the first time and hoo boy was not a good fight. If i wanted to play an awkward bullet hell platformer I'd be playing... well, not Monster Hunter. I don't know which designer at Capcom is so deeply in love with having tedious turret shooting sequences, but they need to be stopped.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

And Tyler Too! posted:

Ibushi & Narwa gear are finally useful. That's a thing.

Can I buy those separately? 25 dollars for a costume pack is way too much.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Good news, they only cost monster parts and zenny.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
DLC = Cosmetic stuff like hair styles, voice packs, layered armor. Costs $.

Title Updates = patches that add content. The 2.0 and 3.0 patches with new apexes, new monsters, and the weapons/armor/layered armor from those monsters. Free.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah the way that other person answered made me think those specific cosmetics were useful. Cool, I will ignore all paid DLC

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Yeah the way that other person answered made me think those specific cosmetics were useful. Cool, I will ignore all paid DLC

Sticker packs make you a better hunter, hth

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

generally monster hunter games just constantly update everything for free unless it's pretty much just minute cosmetic poo poo that adds very little, so don't worry about them doing something like releasing more monsters and gating them off behind 5 bucks or whatever the hell

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

we'll eventually they'll charge for more monsters but it will be the G rank expac in a year or two

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In Training posted:

we'll eventually they'll charge for more monsters but it will be the G rank expac in a year or two

Oh man I hope it’s not 2 years. I really enjoyed my time with this game but I think I’m just about ready to put it down until the expansion and for some reason I thought those take a year (maybe because I started world on PC)

Generally the expansions have almost as much to do as the main game right? I wanna play more MH but I can only do the exact same content so many times and I remember hearing historically MH games had looooads of stuff to do

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

If Iceborne is anything to go off of then the expansion will add around 30 new monsters and probably another 40 hours of quests.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

In Training posted:

i mean, i generally consider that to be different. expansions usually double the amount of game, more or less, and aren't some piecemeal thing that fragments the player base beyond 'can you access master rank or not'

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Sticker packs make you a better hunter, hth

A random I played with last night used various stickers to shout out Taco Bell menu items. Weird things like “He’s gone Gorditas!” and “Diablos Locos Tacos” and tbh it was the best hunt I’ve ever been on.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh man I hope it’s not 2 years. I really enjoyed my time with this game but I think I’m just about ready to put it down until the expansion and for some reason I thought those take a year (maybe because I started world on PC)

Generally the expansions have almost as much to do as the main game right? I wanna play more MH but I can only do the exact same content so many times and I remember hearing historically MH games had looooads of stuff to do

GU has a truckload of quests, but it also has a larger roster and lots and lots of extra quests that are just "Ok now fight a Gammoth, AND a Barioth", which are easier to add in bulk the bigger the roster. Rise is getting there, but I've already played it for like 170 hours before 3.0 so i guess thats probably enough lol.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i went back and cleared my remaining LR hunts and dang i was just clowning on them. just taking hits and shield bashing them to death

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm doing all the HR quests and its very funny showing up to some of the 4* quests where one or two guys are running all over the place trying to fight like a Lambogi or something and you show up and magdump 200 slicing ammo and kill it and then at the end mission screen the timer is at like 20 minutes

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Why did some weapons not get chameleos weapons

WontGetFooledAgain
Nov 5, 2012
Rise has got me hankering to get back into MHW after I fell off around the Safi release. I started on PS4 but I have the PC version now and I want to recreate my character, is the only way to do that via mods?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Centzon Totochtin posted:

probably the same reason why every other monster is missing a couple weapons here and there

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Centzon Totochtin posted:

They're in the smithing list. You just have to look more closely.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I've got MHW but not Iceborne (Though it's 20 bucks right now so I'm halfway tempted). I know this is pretty subjective, but just wondering what some of the fun broken meta weapon are. I play LBG in Rise, and I've read HBG is like that in World. But also don't mind learning something new. Sadly, everything I dig up is info on Iceborne.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Valstrax fight is rad and I got two gems from the first clear :toot:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I gotta say I appreciate how the game lets you quickly pick up a new weapon thanks to its quest system. Want to radically switch? Go for it and restart with low-rank missions with a low-rank weapon.

I run S&S for Fast Monsters and HH for ones I can't otherwise reach. I may try to optimize them and then try for a ranged weapon. Gunlance and/or Lance also seem mighty interesting.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I gotta say I appreciate how the game lets you quickly pick up a new weapon thanks to its quest system. Want to radically switch? Go for it and restart with low-rank missions with a low-rank weapon.

I run S&S for Fast Monsters and HH for ones I can't otherwise reach. I may try to optimize them and then try for a ranged weapon. Gunlance and/or Lance also seem mighty interesting.

Gunlance is the most interesting. Don’t want any longer, give it a whirl today!

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

lets hang out posted:

sheath your weapon, wait until he begins the dive, point yourself away from him (important), start running and press the roll button while you're holding the sprint button. you'll do a huge dive that you're completely invincible for the duration of. this works for basically everything, but you need to be running away from an aggro'd monster for it to work unless you have the leap of faith skill on your armor.

Thanks, I swore I tried that and got carted anyway, or maybe my timing was hosed up.

Is the new Valstrax CB any good? I took it out against magnamalo but I can’t tell if it was lackluster or if I’m just real rusty at CB. The UEDs also only seemed to be doing 2 damage to mag, but maybe he’s dragon immune.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Saxophone posted:

I've got MHW but not Iceborne (Though it's 20 bucks right now so I'm halfway tempted). I know this is pretty subjective, but just wondering what some of the fun broken meta weapon are. I play LBG in Rise, and I've read HBG is like that in World. But also don't mind learning something new. Sadly, everything I dig up is info on Iceborne.

Charge Blade was totally nuts in World. HBG is busted combined with the Rocksteady mantle because you just facetank all attacks and shoot cluster bombs.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I don't think there's much as busted as the LBG in Rise in the other games given its range, mobility and damage as well as extremely generous ammo selections and clip sizes.

Maybe Valor HBG in GU, but I feel like Rise LBG is safer and just as damaging with lower risk and animation commitment.

HBG is something I plan to come back to in Iceborne after I finish the game with GL.

Iceborne is great, it is now my favorite MH just like GU and Rise are. Impressed with the variety and detail in the sub species. There's real challenge by the end of 3* and on up. Triple carted in an MP Daora fight mostly to not realizing how the tornados swell right before they dissipate. Lesson learned.

Had the most awful Daora fight yet. 48 minutes to slay it because 2 folks quit out after two early carts but the Bow and I stuck it out and got it in the end. Maybe 30 minutes was spent watching an rear end in a top hat of a Savage Jho intrude into every room the Kush would fly to. It was changing zones far more frequently than I've seen HR Kush do in the Elders Recess. Bloody Jho would not leave even after multiple dung pods and if it wandered off the Kush would follow it soon after. It never quit raging so maybe it ignores pods when enraged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i couldn't find a pub group that could stay alive through teostra, so i decided to do it myself

first cart because he juggled me into a wall, nothing to be done

second cart because magnamalo would not leave us alone - they had two turf wars. during the second, they landed on me, and then magnamalo killed me before i regained control

and then i killed teostra, but dang magnamalo just would not leave us alone

also teostra went to sleep twice. the first time, i had to spend a couple minutes killing lovely izuchis or whatever because they would not chill long enough to plan some bombs. by the time i killed them, teostra woke up. i was very annoyed. then magnamalo showed up, they turf war'ed, i fainted, etc.

overall it was a very annoying fight. not particularly hard, just also not really fun. i got a poo poo-ton of dragon punch guard points off though, so that was cool. teostra was less annoying though than the other monsters (large and small) that just wouldn't leave us alone to fight. rajang showed up at one point, too.

anyway now i have the hi ninja sword so that's cool