Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of these parents actively kept their kids dependent and helpless and loving panic when they're losing their lifelong slave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

He's been living with me ever since, and the other cat still lives with the other roommate, who moved out a couple weeks later.

Thank you and the other roomie for saving the kitties. I hope they have long, comfy and healthy lives.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of these parents actively kept their kids dependent and helpless and loving panic when they're losing their lifelong slave.

Not quite the same, but I recently realized my relationship with my dad is that he’s an ex-employer. At like 12 I was submitting receivables for him and only recently realized the family income stream probably shouldn’t have been a child’s responsibility. In theory I got paid but I also maybe should have been playing with friends or something. Also payment doesn’t mean that much when it’s a joint account and the child can’t get to the bank without a ride.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

:hai:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A friend of mine growing up had to submit receipts for everything and had to turn in left over cash at the end of the day every day. I think to keep him off drugs, which it turns out if you're cool people will share with you.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Big time. And not always intentional, in my case I felt extremely isolated and an outcast as an ND nonbinary person with one of only two single mom families in my small prairie town growing up. I had a really hard time making friends, so I spent most of my childhood at home or only playing with family or family friends. Then we moved to the city, and I met other weirdos like me, and people from broken or blended homes, and I completely transformed and became social and outgoing, and they hated the new me that actually wanted to have their own life for once. And in less than 2 years I was gone lol

Edit: the massive relentless trauma experienced in my early formative years didn't fuckin help with my social skills either

SulfurMonoxideCute fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 29, 2021

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

quote:

AITA for telling a coworker to stay out of my family matters

I don't talk to my aunt for several reasons, but due to character limits that's irrelevant. I haven't talked to her in 11 years and have no plans to ever again. My mom doesn't either, for different reasons.

Well I work with her friend Alice, in different departments but still. One day my mom came to drop something off for me and Alice recognized her. And then she knew who I was.

Well since then starting around Christmas Alice comes to find me whenever she has any interaction with Aunt "Your aunt sent me a nice Christmas card " I said "oh that's nice, we don't talk" "I know" I started walking away and she was like "I just think... that you should make up with her, you only get one family and family is important " I said "that's an idea " and walked away.

Then months later she came to tell me she had lunch with Aunt. That she told her we worked together (whole other issue) and Aunt really misses me. I said "that's nice " and went back to working.

Yesterday. She came to my office and tried giving me an envelope. I thought it was work related, when I seen what kinda envelope it was and handwriting on it, I handed it back and said I didn't want it. It was obviously a letter or card from Aunt.

She said "well I just really think that you guys should make up, she really cares and is trying you should hear her out". I said "I don't want to, I have no need or desire for her to be in my life ever again. That I'd appreciate if she stayed out of it, it's a family matter that has nothing to do with her and from now on only speak to me about work related things".

She said she was "just trying to help" that she hates seeing families "torn apart " and I didn't need to get angry and be rude to her.

I'm still steamed. I called my mom and told her last night and she said Alice is just a busy body and I was a little harsh.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

not enough of an rear end in a top hat, shut that poo poo down properly

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I find that telling people exactly why you don't talk to the estranged parent/person usually results in them backing off and saying "oh, wow. I didn't know" in a shocked/horrified tone, unless they're also evil in which case they try to tell me it "can't have been that bad" and "nobody's mom acts like that"

Like ma'am what would you do if YOUR mom told you she didn't want to be your mom any more and that you were a worthless homo slut? Come round with a fuckin' cake? I have work to do

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
I will admit to taking satisfaction in shocking those types with terrible childhood stories. My go to is talking about my six figure earner parents not liking to buy groceries. A couple of girls at my high school would switch off making me lunches so I would have something to eat that day. Another good one is when I was 16 and figured out my hands were small enough to steal pads from one of those period product dispensers in a public restroom. Oh I'm sorry Phyllis, did that make you uncomfortable? Perhaps now you will shut the gently caress up about FAMILY.

Headed out now for a holiday BBQ with my chosen family who like and respect me.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Mx. posted:

not enough of an rear end in a top hat, shut that poo poo down properly

100% learned this lesson when my in laws started calling in favors from friends and trying to find an in-road through our jobs.

Alternatively talk to a manager if you feel like you can because poo poo is unprofessional and could lead to a situation at work.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Alice should absolutely be reprimanded, good intentions are irrelevent.

Also, found this on Reddit, thought it was appropriate for this thread:

Ninja Edit: For mockery, of course, especially the line about "Biological property".

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Neito posted:

Ninja Edit: For mockery, of course, especially the line about "Biological property".

I feel like I’m reading a stroke

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Biological property...?! Is that how these kinds of people really think about their children?!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

teen witch posted:

I feel like I’m reading a stroke

SovCit poo poo will do that to ya.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Biological property...?! Is that how these kinds of people really think about their children?!

Jesus, Heteronormative Gender Police was a good thread title but "Biological Property" might just beat it out

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
gender police think biological property is more important than people

wait poo poo that doesn't work

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Neito posted:

SovCit poo poo will do that to ya.

Okay, you noticed too.

This is 100% a recruitment flyer for a sovcit guru. This might make y'all sad but the person who made that is going to get rich af.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I mean, they'll lose it all but....

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I definitely remember being told that I was property until I was old enough to vote so i'm pretty sure that was a common sentiment

never "genetic property" though because my parents bought used, so to speak

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Literally A Person posted:

Okay, you noticed too.

This is 100% a recruitment flyer for a sovcit guru. This might make y'all sad but the person who made that is going to get rich af.

I mean, I found it on /r/amibeingdetained, a sovcit mock sub, but yeah, CPS is a lesser-known but still common target amongst those types.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Neito posted:

I mean, I found it on /r/amibeingdetained, a sovcit mock sub, but yeah, CPS is a lesser-known but still common target amongst those types.

:lol:

Ah. I see you speak the jive.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Neito posted:

Oh, oh this is a little GEM

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

teen witch posted:

Oh, oh this is a little GEM

There's a whole network of weird-as-gently caress SovCit mock subs, /r/schizophreniarides is also pretty good (though I'm not a fan of the name).

Also, JFC I must be on a roll today, this popped up in my feed, thought it wicked appropriate to (some versions of) the relationships in this thread:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Neito posted:

There's a whole network of weird-as-gently caress SovCit mock subs, /r/schizophreniarides is also pretty good (though I'm not a fan of the name).

Also, JFC I must be on a roll today, this popped up in my feed, thought it wicked appropriate to (some versions of) the relationships in this thread:

“You’re the only egg in our basket, so you’re not allowed to break.”

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

"Biological property" makes me nauseous

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

StrixNebulosa posted:

yep

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
My final revenge on my awful mother will be the fact that the Lord Jesus rendered me a) an only child, b) sterile, obviously to spite her.

I will snicker into my childless grave

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Neito posted:

So. Does the "biological property" belong to the parents, or the grandparents?

Also this reads a lot to me like the Mens Rights arseholes who complain about women "stealing" their sperm to make babies that the men will later fight like hell to avoid paying for in court, or demand custody of because there is no way that bitch is getting anything of "mine".

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

So. Does the "biological property" belong to the parents, or the grandparents?

Also this reads a lot to me like the Mens Rights arseholes who complain about women "stealing" their sperm to make babies that the men will later fight like hell to avoid paying for in court, or demand custody of because there is no way that bitch is getting anything of "mine".

MRAs, SovCits, and Rejected Parents venn diagram stacks on top of each other like a set of delicious pancakes.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Neito posted:

MRAs, SovCits, and Rejected Parents venn diagram stacks on top of each other like a set of delicious pancakes.

narcissists all the way down

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Neito posted:

This is the worst breakfast diner of all time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Neito posted:

They absolutely do. They also love to make videos of themselves telling CPS to go away and when they leave they act like it's a :masterstroke: on their part.

I think they hate CPS in part because they see their children as property and their property as sacred, so any external power that can compromise their control of either is a huge threat to them. The same people who might be rabidly "Blue Lives Matter" will flip the gently caress out at the Buereau of Land Management or Child Protective Services.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I always took the hatred of CPS as a symptom of a different kind of narcissism.

i.e. "CPS gets called on 'bad' parents. But I can't be bad at anything because I am so awesome! Therefore it is your fault as a 'bad' child for showing me up, and CPS's fault for believing you. Also it is CPS's fault, (not mine, coz I am so awesome), for daring to make me face the reality that abusing my child has the consequences of my child being taken away and I being called an abuser."

They don't mind abusing/neglecting/loving up a child, but they hate it if CPS try to do anything about it, because that makes them look bad.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

BrigadierSensible posted:

I always took the hatred of CPS as a symptom of a different kind of narcissism.

i.e. "CPS gets called on 'bad' parents. But I can't be bad at anything because I am so awesome! Therefore it is your fault as a 'bad' child for showing me up, and CPS's fault for believing you. Also it is CPS's fault, (not mine, coz I am so awesome), for daring to make me face the reality that abusing my child has the consequences of my child being taken away and I being called an abuser."

They don't mind abusing/neglecting/loving up a child, but they hate it if CPS try to do anything about it, because that makes them look bad.

I don't even know if it's that completely. Having known a few people who've had their children taken from them, CPS seems like an arbitrary and unfeeling monster to them. I've only met a couple of people where they acknowledge the fact that they hosed up, the rest tend to feel like CPS was blowing things way out of proportion and that it was just a little mistake here and there. They tend to blame everyone else for why their kid didn't have food to eat or didn't wear anything but dirty clothes or why they were hosed up on meth or whatever when they got arrested. These kinds of people live in a delusion, kind of like your typical divorced dad whining about not being able to see his kids that he avoids seeing in the first place.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Tarkus posted:

I don't even know if it's that completely. Having known a few people who've had their children taken from them, CPS seems like an arbitrary and unfeeling monster to them. I've only met a couple of people where they acknowledge the fact that they hosed up, the rest tend to feel like CPS was blowing things way out of proportion and that it was just a little mistake here and there. They tend to blame everyone else for why their kid didn't have food to eat or didn't wear anything but dirty clothes or why they were hosed up on meth or whatever when they got arrested. These kinds of people live in a delusion, kind of like your typical divorced dad whining about not being able to see his kids that he avoids seeing in the first place.

This is my experience, too. CPS as some sort of force of nature that you either accept as a part of life or hate, but doesn't reflect on your actual skills as a parent.

I had a coworker years ago who was pregnant. "I'm a great mom! I've had multiple children taken away, I've apparently written them off completely and I'm having another baby. That's just how it goes sometimes." I didn't know how to respond at the time. I don't know what I'd say now.

Never mind that things generally have to be really loving egregious for CPS to come in and seize your children.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I found out the other week that my dad will to this day still drunk text or dial my mom from time to time and say awful whiny poo poo about how she took me and my sister away from him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminded that even the Simpsons episode about CPS showed them being pretty reasonable, all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminded that even the Simpsons episode about CPS showed them being pretty reasonable, all things considered.

stupid babies need the most attention!