Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

He likes ketchup on his burgs, and that's fine by me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

fizzymercury posted:

My Granddaddy was a huge Jaques Pepin fan. He was your typical Texas roughneck and cowboy most of the time but he loved Pepin and Julia Child so much he'd record them on the VCR to watch later. For many years he and I would eat a huge lunch of my Grandmama's cooking and then sit down to watch Julia and Jacques and two episodes of Carol Burnett he'd recorded half a decade ago. He'd laugh until he couldn't breathe when he watched Pepin do anything. I realized, after many repeat viewings, that he thought Jacques was a comedian and this was a comedy act. He thought Pepin was part of the Carol Burnett show and the whole thing was a laugh. When I showed him Pepin's actual resume he was shocked to the point of tears. He just thought he was a funny guy, ya know? He went to the afterlife convinced the whole thing was a con job. Like the guy became a chef so that he could be hilarious on TV.

This reminds me you can check out basically all of The Justin Wilson Show from PBS on Twitch https://twitch.tv/thejustinwilsonshow, I thought it was mentioned already in this thread but maybe not, I gar-on-tee

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Speaking of 'comedy' food shows, the Onion made a web serial show called "Porkin' Across America" where the main character sets out to eat a pork dish in every state.

You should all watch it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Watch sex house after that. Or before

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Watch sex house after that. Or before

That's the one that's making fun of big brother right? Both are excellent

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

fizzymercury posted:

My Granddaddy was a huge Jaques Pepin fan. He was your typical Texas roughneck and cowboy most of the time but he loved Pepin and Julia Child so much he'd record them on the VCR to watch later. For many years he and I would eat a huge lunch of my Grandmama's cooking and then sit down to watch Julia and Jacques and two episodes of Carol Burnett he'd recorded half a decade ago. He'd laugh until he couldn't breathe when he watched Pepin do anything. I realized, after many repeat viewings, that he thought Jacques was a comedian and this was a comedy act. He thought Pepin was part of the Carol Burnett show and the whole thing was a laugh. When I showed him Pepin's actual resume he was shocked to the point of tears. He just thought he was a funny guy, ya know? He went to the afterlife convinced the whole thing was a con job. Like the guy became a chef so that he could be hilarious on TV.

We talked about it when we caught an old VHS of Dorf on Golf the last time I got to see him. He asked me if Pepin made good food or if it was part of the act. I told him about the time I watched him make an omelet with a metal fork in a non-stick pan and he wheezed laughing at it. "MY GOD. His wife must want to murder him. Grandmama would grind me into sausage if I did that? And on camera?! It's A GRIFT! I'm telling you!"

I love this story and it totally makes sense in context.

The key to understanding Jacques is that he's the French equivalent of a good ol' boy who made it big, his parents ran the French version of a neighborhood meat and three where laborers and prostitutes would chill out, and he lived on a farm for part of his childhood because that's where the food was and the Nazis weren't. He became an elite chef in Paris by his mid-20s or some poo poo (by going through some medieval guild apprentice system poo poo from 13 on) but he wasn't FROM that culture AT ALL. To Parisians at the time he was some funny little dude from the sticks.

That's how you get a guy who is better at everything involving food than most humans who have ever lived, but also will put a hamburger on an english muffin and drink wine from an can and sincerely, profoundly not give a fractional gently caress. He likes what he likes and operates on a cosmic level of unironic "Ain't even mad, just don't care" that's both inspiring and hilarious.

:chef: "If the bacteria survive 400 degrees they deserve to live."

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 28, 2021

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Bourdain interviewing Pepin is a great watch it goes into everything mentioned https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3QYai6bv5M

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I recently became aware of Y92 and it seems like all their conversations on stage are great.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I recently became aware of Y92 and it seems like all their conversations on stage are great.

lol the last video from them i remember in these parts is their interview with the Bon Appetit staff where Rapoport confused Sohla and Priya's names

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Not exactly tv, I guess, but did something happen to Cooking Issues? I haven't seen a new episode drop since combat-style cuisine. I thought it might be my podcast app, but I didn't see one on the website when I looked a week or so ago, either.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Sohla showed up on the Worst Cooks finale as a judge! Nice to see she’s on Food Network’s radar.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

you ate my cat posted:

Not exactly tv, I guess, but did something happen to Cooking Issues? I haven't seen a new episode drop since combat-style cuisine. I thought it might be my podcast app, but I didn't see one on the website when I looked a week or so ago, either.

It sounds like they are moving away from heritage radio network and also starting a patreon so things have been a bit delayed in the transition.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Crime Scene Kitchen on Fox was a hoot, and now I’m invested. Joel McHale is really funny and cutting in a way that appeals.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I knew I would like it because it is right up my alley and I was still impressed by it. I can't tell if Joel McHale loves what he's doing or wants to die. I'm 99% sure that's on purpose.

My fiance hated it so much he's going to watch it just to be grumpy, I think.

McHale was on Babish today being the best worst guest as always:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGPqK_hHA28

This entire video made me uncomfortable.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 1, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

fizzymercury posted:

I knew I would like it because it is right up my alley and I was still impressed by it. I can't tell if Joel McHale loves what he's doing or wants to die. I'm 99% sure that's on purpose.

He sits in a similar place to Will Arnett doing Lego Masters. I genuinely can’t tell if either of them are having the best time or the worst time.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
God drat he could not stop eating kettle korn.

I want some now too

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Give him 6 seasons and he really warms up to people.

No movie though :(

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Joel McHale calling his bluff on marrying them leading to a quick awkward marriage is peak Babish. Surprised he kept in all the attempts he made to find an out only for his wife to go "nah, it's real".

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Daym Drops got a Netflix show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cuaz6QaGdoE

That first shot with him talking about "something magnificent" is him talking to current Top Chef contestant Jamie. She fought her rear end back from Last Chance Kitchen

And I don't know how to feel about this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihEEjwRlghQ

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Fartington Butts posted:

Daym Drops got a Netflix show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cuaz6QaGdoE

That first shot with him talking about "something magnificent" is him talking to current Top Chef contestant Jamie. She fought her rear end back from Last Chance Kitchen

no one talks about top chef in this thread but this season is fantastic and jamie owns

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

It really is and everybody who has been eliminated, except for Sara, was eliminated for a good reason. Everybody remaining right now is pretty dang strong, but at the same time they've all had one or two fuckups.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

eke out posted:

no one talks about top chef in this thread but this season is fantastic and jamie owns

This is the best season in ages; everyone is super nice and good and supportive of each other and also really good at cooking. The challenges are good too, it’s nice to see the show branch out and work with cuisines that don’t often show up on the show. They managed to work through COVID really well

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm going to see it, I'm going to be bawling the entire time, and it'll win the Academy Award for best documentary next year.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Yeah, that director is legit. I havent seen "20 feet" but I've heard nothing but great things. "Won't you be my neighbor" had me crying like a baby. That movie is one ill probably watch alone one night my wife is doing an overnight shift or something cuz I'd probably ruin her experience watching it.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I tried to see if there was any info about it getting released on HBO Max at the same time as theatrical release, but couldn't find anything.

Wouldn't be surprised if it does end up there same day or very shortly after.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Yeah, with it being a focus/cnn/hbo max branded film, i hope it goes right to streaming too.

coincidencentally, I've juat started watching top chef portland. obviously I'm way behind, but hopefully the fella from milford nh is both good and not an rear end cuz that's basically my hometown. weird to hear someone say they're a top chef contender from a town of 15,000 in southern new hampshire. my dad lives 5 minutes from milford proper

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Eat This Glob posted:

Yeah, that director is legit. I havent seen "20 feet" but I've heard nothing but great things. "Won't you be my neighbor" had me crying like a baby. That movie is one ill probably watch alone one night my wife is doing an overnight shift or something cuz I'd probably ruin her experience watching it.
Won't You Be My Neighbor is so very good. This will be amazing and hopefully I won't need IV fluids from crying after like that one.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

A General note on Top Chef this season:

Having the rotating panel of former TC contestants is great, especially because Kwame and Gregory are really showcasing their amazing fashion sense every week.

Notes on last chance kitchen:

The finale is always a real gauntlet, watching the chef trying to get back in get steadily more exhausted is great fun. You can see as he’s explaining it that Tom is very pleased with his game design this time around. It’s compelling TV and I love that there’s just that much more Top Chef every week.

Jaime is truly the queen of LCK this year, coming back after elimination and shutting down Byron after he awakened the beast in the finale. Underestimate at your own risk.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.

DC Murderverse posted:

This is the best season in ages; everyone is super nice and good and supportive of each other and also really good at cooking. The challenges are good too, it’s nice to see the show branch out and work with cuisines that don’t often show up on the show. They managed to work through COVID really well

This season has been fantastic, as was last season with the All-Stars. I like that Top Chef has slowly moved away from the drama and just started focusing on having great chefs and food. Not sure if it is a conscious choice by the producers or just most chefs realize it probably isn't a great thing to go on national TV and come off as a jackass.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Probably a choice since I quit watching the show years ago when one of the challenges was encasing all the food in a huge block of ice and making the chefs use a pickaxe to get the igredients out. And one of the judges later complained that their food was frozen. Like.. don't loving put the food in a block of ice then.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Thanks for the heads up on Top Chef. Haven't watched in forever and I'm only 3 episodes in but Jamie, Dawn, Sara, and the intense nerd energy of Avishar are my faves so far.

Super cool to see Guyanese food represented in episode 2 too.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Mu Zeta posted:

Probably a choice since I quit watching the show years ago when one of the challenges was encasing all the food in a huge block of ice and making the chefs use a pickaxe to get the igredients out. And one of the judges later complained that their food was frozen. Like.. don't loving put the food in a block of ice then.

It has gotten much better since then; there were a few seasons where there was a surplus of dumb reality show bullshit but they’ve gotten away from that because they realized it’s much better to test actual cooking skills. It’s been paired with an increase in highlighting different cuisines. This season had a challenge where the chefs went to African/diaspora restaurants in Portland and made dishes inspired by that, another challenge where they used ingredients from native populations from Oregon, and one where they had to make savory dishes featuring fruit (without vegetables) picked and cooked right on the orchard. This week’s was preparing dishes highlighting tofu and they got to visit the oldest tofu manufacturer in the US.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

I think I'm through 4 episodes at this point and Avishar is a bit dorky, yeah, but endearing.

"It's the first time being picked for anything " :D - Avishar after teaming up with another chef for a challenge

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I should really make more of Kenji's stuff -- this is one of the best outcome-vs-effort recipes I've tried in a minute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDHGXqMPxL0

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

FYI this is available as part of the virtual Tribeca Film Festival lineup this week if anyone's interested. You'll have to be in NYC to attend in person obv or in the US to stream it virtually.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Mmm... yeah I'm probably gonna end up paying the $15 just to watch the Bourdain thing. Maybe squeeze in a few of the other Tribeca films.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Fartington Butts posted:

Mmm... yeah I'm probably gonna end up paying the $15 just to watch the Bourdain thing. Maybe squeeze in a few of the other Tribeca films.

It's a pretty great lineup this year!

This also looks interesting, even if Gladwell's involvement is worth some side-eye.

This doc about death row and last meals looks cool too.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

You know the family episodes of Top Chef always aim for the feels but the combination of the pandemic and how close these chefs are really made this week a five-hankie affair. This season really is something special and I cannot wait to see how it closes out

i know Tom and Padma have officially banned the self-sacrifice at Judges Table and Maria obviously was not gonna let Jamie do that but that was still one of the most touching things I’ve seen over the entire run of the show. She didn’t do it because she thought she hosed up she just wanted Maria to get that same second chance she had, if Jamie doesn’t win Fan Favorite now fans should just be banned from voting on it ever again. And Kristin talking about how she felt when she was sent home and telling Jamie that she deserves to be there was really sweet too. The last five or so minutes of the show were non-stop sniffles at my house. Maria went out like a champ even if she didn’t make the finals.

I know that reality tv made its name on showing people at their most cutthroat and cunning, but it’s truly better when everyone is talented and competitive but also they respect and love each other.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

You know the family episodes of Top Chef always aim for the feels but the combination of the pandemic and how close these chefs are really made this week a five-hankie affair. This season really is something special and I cannot wait to see how it closes out

i know Tom and Padma have officially banned the self-sacrifice at Judges Table and Maria obviously was not gonna let Jamie do that but that was still one of the most touching things I’ve seen over the entire run of the show. She didn’t do it because she thought she hosed up she just wanted Maria to get that same second chance she had, if Jamie doesn’t win Fan Favorite now fans should just be banned from voting on it ever again. And Kristin talking about how she felt when she was sent home and telling Jamie that she deserves to be there was really sweet too. The last five or so minutes of the show were non-stop sniffles at my house. Maria went out like a champ even if she didn’t make the finals.

I know that reality tv made its name on showing people at their most cutthroat and cunning, but it’s truly better when everyone is talented and competitive but also they respect and love each other.

I literally just watched this episode and came in here to post this exact thing.

I think Top Chef finally learned from Great British Bake Off where the show is so much better when it's about great chefs executing at the very highest levels possible for them. The dumb infighting and drama not only feels artificial but reads as a cover for chefs that are really just average (by Top Chef standards) and personally turned me off the show for years.

Genuine thanks to everyone that recommended this because I never would've checked it out myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Worst cooks is the best at this because they legitimately seem to be having fun.