Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Keetron posted:

Anyone here know about the gravitas pens? https://www.gravitaspens.com/shop
I saw them on Peter Draws and the nib looks familiar

I couldn't find any good shots of the nibs on those pens but given that they're not a large pen company they are probably just buying branded nibs from JoWo or maybe Bock. They're fine quality nibs but they all tend to look similar so that's likely why it looks familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

tater_salad posted:

you can't post poo poo like that and then not post a picture.

I don't have it in hand yet, but here's a picture from the auction.

I present the Delta "La Palancola"

Kerbtree posted:

Oh this’ll be good. What’s the gimmick?

A "palancola" (aka Larssen sheet piling) is a type of metal retaining wall. Delta's brilliant idea was to make one out of bronze and use it as the cap of a fountain pen but never ended up releasing it for sale. Only prototypes exist and I just bought one.

It's so beautiful I want to cry. I'm going to have to build a shrine.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The pen is beautiful.. the cap is :psyduck:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
ugh

grack
Jan 10, 2012

tater_salad posted:

The pen is beautiful.. the cap is :psyduck:

And of course, the pen is threaded so that the cap screws to post. A very important feature.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sankis posted:

I couldn't find any good shots of the nibs on those pens but given that they're not a large pen company they are probably just buying branded nibs from JoWo or maybe Bock. They're fine quality nibs but they all tend to look similar so that's likely why it looks familiar.

The description of the pens say they use JoWo.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I feel like that if you tried to write with that Delta, the paper you were using would just kind of catch on fire.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

howe_sam posted:

A good look can be had here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfnTg_2ggw4&t=460s and the nobs look very familair. In fact, they look like the nibs on my twsbi's and those are pretty good writers.

edit:
New question: at what point is it ok to clean out your piston filler and put in new ink? I mean it writes fine, but right now i am just doodling to empty it...

Keetron fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 27, 2021

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

howe_sam posted:

look, i like pens because i like to write words not READ them.....

Keetron posted:

A good look can be had here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfnTg_2ggw4&t=460s and the nobs look very familair. In fact, they look like the nibs on my twsbi's and those are pretty good writers.

edit:
New question: at what point is it ok to clean out your piston filler and put in new ink? I mean it writes fine, but right now i am just doodling to empty it...

This is entirely personal preference. Just do what you want. If it's not an expensive ink and/or you don't feel bad about just dumping it you can do it now!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

This is an odd request, but does anyone know of any pens that are

A) In the $50 or under range
B) bright orange
and C) use cartridges rather than filling from an ink bottle?

I've got a friend who uses exclusively fountain pens but just the cheap disposable ones. He's done me a ton of favors and I want to surprise him with a nice pen he can refill. Since he uses disposable pens I'm guessing he wouldn't want to mess around with refilling from an ink jar. He does a bunch of 3d printing and uses a ton of bright orange ABS, so it would be funny to give him a matching pen. I know there's a Pilot Metropolitan Retro Pop but I don't think he'd like the pattern at the grip area. If there's nothing like that I might just go with a yellow Lamy or something.

E: Actually the Safari Mango might work, and it's even ABS. Not quite the blaze orange he uses but close enough.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I heard great things about the Platinum Prefounte:
https://www.gouletpens.com/products/platinum-prefounte-fountain-pen-vermilion-orange

That's probably going to be my next fun pen to pick up.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks, I'll look into those too.

I'm also looking for a pen for myself, I'm not picky about the color but I've got massive hands so something on the larger size fits my hand better. I've tried some pens that barely made it to the web of my hand and it was really awkward to write with them. The thing that I'm most worried about is that I'm going to be carrying this largely clipped inside the front pocket of my pants, so it will receive some torque. Am I right in thinking that I want a metal body for that? I carried a Metropolitan in the past like that without any issue, but I'm worried that a resin or ABS pen would snap.

Thoughts on the Conklin Coronet? There's a couple options on Goulet for $30 right now, if they're an upgrade to the Metropolitan I might buy one. My default option is the Metropolitan since they seem solid (and also the old thread title) but I'm open to hearing about other options in that same <$50 price range.

E: Also, thicker grip section is better, the one on the Metropolitan felt way more comfortable to write with than the ballpoints I'm used to, even the "ergonomic" ones every office has.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 29, 2021

Meowspergers
May 20, 2019

Ricochet World Champion

22 Eargesplitten posted:

B) bright orange

I've got a friend who uses exclusively fountain pens but just the cheap disposable ones. He's done me a ton of favors and I want to surprise him with a nice pen he can refill. Since he uses disposable pens I'm guessing he wouldn't want to mess around with refilling from an ink jar. He does a bunch of 3d printing and uses a ton of bright orange ABS, so it would be funny to give him a matching pen. I know there's a Pilot Metropolitan Retro Pop but I don't think he'd like the pattern at the grip area. If there's nothing like that I might just go with a yellow Lamy or something.

E: Actually the Safari Mango might work, and it's even ABS. Not quite the blaze orange he uses but close enough.

Safaris are well made pens, but the faceted grip section is pretty polarizing from what I've read (I'm not crazy about it myself). The Kaweco Skyline Sport in "Fox" orange could be another option: https://www.gouletpens.com/products/kaweco-skyline-sport-fountain-pen-fox.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks, I'll look into that one as well.

I was just looking through Goulet and saw the Monteverde "Tool" pen, anyone ever used one of those? The fact that it's a pen that can be used like a limited multitool has my interest, there are a lot of times I wish I had a screwdriver or ruler or something on me but never do.

E: Well gently caress it's six-sided all the way around, that sounds really uncomfortable.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 29, 2021

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm also looking for a pen for myself, I'm not picky about the color but I've got massive hands so something on the larger size fits my hand better.

If you just want to get started and mess around a bit, then you can try a pack of Jinhao x750s and get a general impression of how they feel for you. I generally do bigger with the chonker pens. This Noodler's Neponset has some girth in general and asks my other pens what they want to be when they grow up, but I feel strange recommending Noodler's just based on everybody else's experience with having to monkey with them and lock them in an airtight vault to keep out the farts (I can't really smell anything).

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks, I'll look into that one as well.

I was just looking through Goulet and saw the Monteverde "Tool" pen, anyone ever used one of those? The fact that it's a pen that can be used like a limited multitool has my interest, there are a lot of times I wish I had a screwdriver or ruler or something on me but never do.

E: Well gently caress it's six-sided all the way around, that sounds really uncomfortable.

I've owned a pair of the Chinese knockoffs of this pen for a few years and they're pretty much fine so long as you never intend to use it for anything other than writing.

Given that my last Monteverde product's finish peeled off like 3 days after I bought it I'm not sure you'll be getting a better iteration of this pen through them over Ali/eBay Chinese sellers.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

B) bright orange

Sounds like you need a Jinhao 159! They come in an exciting range of colours, including canary yellow and bright orange.

Ed: they’re also CHEAP
Get you one!

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 29, 2021

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm also looking for a pen for myself, I'm not picky about the color but I've got massive hands so something on the larger size fits my hand better. I've tried some pens that barely made it to the web of my hand and it was really awkward to write with them. The thing that I'm most worried about is that I'm going to be carrying this largely clipped inside the front pocket of my pants, so it will receive some torque. Am I right in thinking that I want a metal body for that? I carried a Metropolitan in the past like that without any issue, but I'm worried that a resin or ABS pen would snap.

E: Also, thicker grip section is better, the one on the Metropolitan felt way more comfortable to write with than the ballpoints I'm used to, even the "ergonomic" ones every office has.
They aren't in the <$50 range but boy oh boy can I recommend the Pilot Vanishing Point.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

FFT posted:

They aren't in the <$50 range but boy oh boy can I recommend the Pilot Vanishing Point.

I agree, it's kind of the last pen you'll ever need.

as if

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

gschmidl posted:

I agree, it's kind of the last pen you'll ever need.

as if
If we only bought more pens because we need them this thread would be very short indeed.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

If we only bought more pens because we need them this thread would be very short indeed.

When drawing with the vast array of inks available to me, I like to have a few pens with various colors filled and ready to go. At all times I have at the very least three pens in use and sometimes up to six. One could argue that I thus only need six pens and I would suggest one can go gently caress himself.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Rudeboy Detective posted:

I've owned a pair of the Chinese knockoffs of this pen for a few years and they're pretty much fine so long as you never intend to use it for anything other than writing.

Given that my last Monteverde product's finish peeled off like 3 days after I bought it I'm not sure you'll be getting a better iteration of this pen through them over Ali/eBay Chinese sellers.

Oof, is Monteverde that rough in quality? I think I got Monteverde and Montblanc mixed up. I liked the look of the Monteverde Innova because I'm a sucker for weird materials and a carbon fiber pen seems really cool but if they're spotty quality then it probably isn't worth the $52.

Kerbtree posted:

Sounds like you need a Jinhao 159! They come in an exciting range of colours, including canary yellow and bright orange.

Ed: they’re also CHEAP
Get you one!

Do the Jinhaos require much tinkering to make them run well? I had gotten a few cheap Chinese pens for a friend that does a ton of writing after she liked the Pilot Metropolitan and they all required more work than she wanted to deal with to keep them writing well. The friend I'm buying this one for uses a bunch of Pilot Varsity disposable pens, so he's used to them being reliable.

And yes, believe me, I know just vicariously the desire to get more cool pens.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Jinhao is usually a mixed bag. I've had a 159 that hit the trash.. I've had several others that just work. I keep shark pens around to hand out and most of the folks who have gotten them want a refill. If I have an orange I can send you one I'll look in a bit.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm not picky about colors for myself, just trying to find something that suits my friend I'm thinking about colors and materials and whatnot.

Do the jinhaos with problems tend to be fixed by a new nib or is there some other component that can cause a problem? I'm not opposed to getting a Jinhao and buying a goulet nib or something if it doesn't work well for myself. I know that more than doubles the cost, but if it guarantees I get something solid I'm willing to deal with that.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
While I've generally had good luck with the Jinhaos that I have bought, I did have one with a converter that was a bit of a dud. Those are easy enough to swap though, and inexpensive to replace.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm not picky about colors for myself, just trying to find something that suits my friend I'm thinking about colors and materials and whatnot.

Do the jinhaos with problems tend to be fixed by a new nib or is there some other component that can cause a problem? I'm not opposed to getting a Jinhao and buying a goulet nib or something if it doesn't work well for myself. I know that more than doubles the cost, but if it guarantees I get something solid I'm willing to deal with that.

I feel like I swapped a fude nib one and a regular nib one's nibs, so it's certainly possible. However, I also feel like I've read that JOWO nibs aren't quite a drop-in replacement (different arcs in the nib, perhaps?). Once upon a time, I recall having read that there was a different feed design that had better flow for fude nibs (the ones with a circle on the underside of the feed), but that should be irrelevant unless you're getting a fude/bent nib one.

I imagine that if it were simple to do, then goulet would just replace the jinhao nibs with jowos as a matter of course (and to justify their pricing). But considering that most jinhaos are less than $5, it's probably easier to just buy a few and use the ones that write poorly as body/cap parts. But personally, I haven't really had issues with any of them, apart from some of the plastic-bodied ones being fragile. If you're just getting a 1xx model, those are not plastic, and there's no real issue unless you get a crap nib that can't be sorted by reseating it or whatever.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I find all the Chinese pens I've tried really gum up on all the different Noodler's inks I've tried (includes various samplers beyond just laying down some Bay State Blue) as well as the glittery sheen inks. So I would say they do have a problem with feeding particularly thick ink. I also tried an assortment of more normal inks that did behave consistently. I also had a few Jinhao nibs show up scratchy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is a paper thing and not a pen thing, but has anyone heard anything about tomoe river paper going out of production? I’ve seen a reddit post and a few instagram posts about the company that makes it discontinuing the 52gsm variety entirely. If so, that’s a real shame and I don’t know what paper I’ll switch to. I’ve used Nanami Paper brand notebooks exclusively for the last five years or so.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think there were rumblings about them changing the formula somehow a while back?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is more recent than that. Here’s the instagram post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CPeJtvfDeaf/?utm_medium=copy_link

If I understand correctly, there are two machines that make it, one that made the older formula and a new one from last year that made the new formula. Both machines have been taken out of service and the company has said they won’t be making any more, but might introduce smaller machines that do smaller runs.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

So... time to buy up all the 52gsm Tomoe River I can find and sell it for extortionist prices on ebay to feed my destructive purchasing habits?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

grack posted:

So... time to buy up all the 52gsm Tomoe River I can find and sell it for extortionist prices on ebay to feed my destructive purchasing habits?

Remember Galen Leather, the Turkish company making those pen and desk accessories that no sane person would buy? Well, they have leather or canvas bound notebooks, 400 pages, and advertise them with "Classic Tomoe River paper". As sanity is overrated, I might have spend a bit too much money there and among other things a 20 pen case is coming my way. If nothing else, I need to buy more pens to fill it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

grack posted:

IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE

That looks better than on the other photo. I actually kind of like it?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

gschmidl posted:

That looks better than on the other photo. I actually kind of like it?

The body material is really nice, actually. Very pretty in person

It's the cap that does it, though

And of course, the cap screws to post

Don't know why anyone would expect anything else. Everything lines up, too.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:vince:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

grack posted:

I absolutely love that! They don't do novelty pens like that anymore, and I guess they didn't really back then, either. But I am so glad someone Lived the Dream.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

grack posted:

:whoptc:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

effika posted:

I absolutely love that! They don't do novelty pens like that anymore, and I guess they didn't really back then, either. But I am so glad someone Lived the Dream.

Well, kind of. Delta never released the pen, it only exists in prototypes. Even by Delta's standards La Palancola was too ridiculous to market. Bunch of cowards.

Anyways, last picture - the nib

A titanium semi-flex nib with an oddly intricate engraving pattern. Writes... actually pretty well. Titanium has always had very weird feedback for me, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

grack posted:

That'd be a gorgeous pen if the cap was just the same material/patten as the body instead of having a goddamn sash weight for a cap