Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neo Rasa posted:

I saw Cruella and it notably ends on the note of her NOT skinning some dalmations to make a coat though this is teased and hinted at throughout the movie. With her giving the two main dalmations to the friends she made a long the way, and her basically being good at the end. And she doesn't even hate dalmations or dogs in particular or anything like that, even having a pet dog throughout the flick. So it just felt like totally disconnected from the first movie, which is fine, but it's the way they try to have her be misunderstood/actually good but still bad and a villain at the same time never lands. Like others have said it just feels bloated and with too many cooks in the kitchen.

Got to save something for the sequel, I guess.

Like, come on. You really believe this wont have a sequel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Cruella Deux Vil

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cruella Twoville: poo poo, she's got a twin now

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shageletic posted:

Cruella Twoville: poo poo, she's got a twin now

Grendels Dad posted:

Got to save something for the sequel, I guess.

Like, come on. You really believe this wont have a sequel?

Fried Watermelon posted:

Cruella Deux Vil

Duella

Barudak
May 7, 2007

"Cruella" but the two "L"s are highlighted and enlongated to make it a roman numeral 2

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
twoella

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Poo-ella De poo poo

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Crue-ella-ella-ella

*Rihanna busts out in a black and white dyed wig, sings the lyrics to Umbrella crudely edited to feature dog killing*

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

holy poo poo
https://twitter.com/TygerbugGarrett/status/1399708153294458882

quote:

Previously-unseen deleted scenes include the Mario Bros running afoul of the (probably Mafia-connected) Scapelli plumbing company, Koopa murdering a technician by de-evolving him into slime, and Iggy and Spike rapping about the overthrow of King Koopa at the Boom Boom Bar. There's more of Daniella and the Brookyln Girls. Most scenes are extended in this version, with a lot more of Dennis Hopper as Koopa, and the rest of the cast.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Alan Smithee posted:

speaking of

when should we change the "nobody"

Theaters are opening and my son is sleeping enough at night I can write a little bit so should be able to finish a new OP (with now a bunch of updates as release dates have moved around a lot since I started writing it). Do people want an abbreviated thread for 2021 or should we continue to parasite on the 2020 thread in the doom year that never end?

!!! wow grabbing this ASAP

Tars Tarkas fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 1, 2021

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
change the title of this thread to 2020/2021 since last year basically didn't count anyway

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

2020 was a horrible year and should be forgotten.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

what the gently caress

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If studios would see clear profit behind releasing cuts of movies that haven’t seen the light of day I’d be so happy. I want to see the original cut of The 13th Warrior.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
i know what I'm watching tonight lol. gently caress yeah

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How did Garrett Gilchrest, castoff Red Letter Media man from 1999, end up with a director’s cut of Super Mario Bros?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

How did Garrett Gilchrest, castoff Red Letter Media man from 1999, end up with a director’s cut of Super Mario Bros?

He was also the guy behind the fan restoration of The Thief and the Cobbler, apparently this is his thing

E: the people at Super Mario Bros. The Movie Archive website somehow obtained a lovely VHS copy of the extended cut two years ago and they approached Garrett Gilchrest and asked him to restore it
https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/super-mario-bros-movie-new-footage-1/

E: I don't know if they ever explain how they got the tape but here's a video they put out two years ago talking about one of the scenes, which solves the mystery of where the talking Mario toy got some of his catchphrases (which didn't appear in the theatrical cut)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgKCxCCjyCs

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 2, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He was also the guy behind the fan restoration of The Thief and the Cobbler, apparently this is his thing

Didn’t that guy used to post here? That was the same Garrett Gilchrest of Gorilla, Interrupted?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

E: the people at Super Mario Bros. The Movie Archive website somehow obtained a lovely VHS copy of the extended cut two years ago and they approached Garrett Gilchrest and asked him to restore it
https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/super-mario-bros-movie-new-footage-1/

E: I don't know if they ever explain how they got the tape but here's a video they put out two years ago talking about one of the scenes, which solves the mystery of where the talking Mario toy got some of his catchphrases (which didn't appear in the theatrical cut)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgKCxCCjyCs

This fuckin' rules! :O

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Tars Tarkas posted:

Theaters are opening and my son is sleeping enough at night I can write a little bit so should be able to finish a new OP (with now a bunch of updates as release dates have moved around a lot since I started writing it). Do people want an abbreviated thread for 2021 or should we continue to parasite on the 2020 thread in the doom year that never end?
!!! wow grabbing this ASAP

we could do the software/Madden game thing and call it 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

If studios would see clear profit behind releasing cuts of movies that haven’t seen the light of day I’d be so happy. I want to see the original cut of The 13th Warrior.

I've always assumed that the red tape involved in working out residuals and contacts and all that nonsense keeps these things from being more ubiquitous. Surely otherwise they'd realize that there's some short-term profit to be had in dorks double-dipping on a blu.

What I really mean is, there must be some sane explanation to why I am not able to see the 4 hour cut of Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. If it's just some suit's arbitrary decision then the universe is too cruel.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 2, 2021

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

feedmyleg posted:

I've always assumed that the red tape involved in working out residuals and contacts and all that nonsense keeps these things from being more ubiquitous. Surely otherwise they'd realize that there's some short-term profit to be had in dorks double-dipping on a blu.

What I really mean is, there must be some sane explanation to why I am not able to see the 4 hour cut of Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. If it's just some suit's arbitrary decision then the universe is too cruel.

Its too niche to put in the effort to clean up these cuts professionally. Also, things are often cut for a reason, and a person might be exposed to an inferior version on their first viewing of a film. For all the attention the Snyder cut got, it appears to have not been very successful.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Just call it the "unrated edition."

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The extended version of the Super Mario Bros movie is wonderful and the lovely VHS quality of it just lends to the charm.

It also took me multiple viewings over several decades to realize they're all driving electric cars in the Koopa dimension because dinosaurs never went extinct there and fossil fuels don't exist. The world building is so great in this movie I don't understand how anybody could hate it.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
Bob-omb!! *Slams on brakes as a little toy marches on. *

That movie is a loving masterpiece. Just not a Mario movie. It's a dystopian cyberpunk alternate world film (with Mario references).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Its too niche to put in the effort to clean up these cuts professionally. Also, things are often cut for a reason, and a person might be exposed to an inferior version on their first viewing of a film. For all the attention the Snyder cut got, it appears to have not been very successful.

Andrew Dominik says he has the finished cut of Assassination sitting on his harddrive and has tried reaching out to the studio but they have no interest.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

For all the attention the Snyder cut got, it appears to have not been very successful.

It beat Falcon & Winter Soldier in ratings, which isn't bad for a niche release of an already released movie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Snyder Cut was an international hit.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I haven’t seen numbers on the Snyder Cut or anything, but I’m sure it probably helped HBO Max subs a bit. If for no other reason than keeping people around for another month to see what the fuss was about.

It wasn’t exactly good, but it was a hell of a lot more coherent than the theatrical version, and it actually made me curious as to where things would have gone. I hated the original release so much that I forgot most of the plot. All of this was at the cost of being super pretentious, but I’ll take it over what we got the first time around.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Director’s cuts have existed in an official form ever since DVDs made them commercially available. The Snyder Cut has permeated the zeitgeist to the point that directors cuts are now referred to by specific name. Whenever demand sparks to “release the ____ cut!” everyone has to internally acknowledge the Snyder cut for making their rallying cry possible.

Sounds like a success to me.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What about Blade Runner or Kingdom of Heaven?? People demanded director's cuts years ago.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I've watched a couple of bootleg assembly cuts and a lot of them have temp tracks, temp looping (both themselves a nightmare for rights for release), scenes obviously not edited for pacing or even final versions of scenes before alternate takes are picked over them OR reshoots, unfinished effects, and plenty of other weird stuff. They are fascinating, but I can understand why they don't want them out there, it's like reading the second draft of a novel someone spent 20 drafts on.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
cg gregory peck as Racist Atticus in 2 Kill a Mockingbird

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sirotan posted:

The extended version of the Super Mario Bros movie is wonderful and the lovely VHS quality of it just lends to the charm.

It also took me multiple viewings over several decades to realize they're all driving electric cars in the Koopa dimension because dinosaurs never went extinct there and fossil fuels don't exist. The world building is so great in this movie I don't understand how anybody could hate it.

To quibble, fossil fuels are actually based almost entirely on plantlife which mostly predates the dinosaurs, but then it could also be how it's specifically stated that wasteful policies especially under King Koopa have depleted almost every resource they have, and fossil fuels were likely the first to go.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

Ghost Leviathan posted:

To quibble, fossil fuels are actually based almost entirely on plantlife which mostly predates the dinosaurs, but then it could also be how it's specifically stated that wasteful policies especially under King Koopa have depleted almost every resource they have, and fossil fuels were likely the first to go.

Real koopaheads know they’re on a parallel earth though with barely any plant life!!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Are you telling me I can't actually trust fungus either??

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

If you say “trust the fungus” before taking a large enough dose of shrooms you are guaranteed to have a good trip. Then of course it takes root in your brain and makes you say shrooms are good

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tars Tarkas posted:

I've watched a couple of bootleg assembly cuts and a lot of them have temp tracks, temp looping (both themselves a nightmare for rights for release), scenes obviously not edited for pacing or even final versions of scenes before alternate takes are picked over them OR reshoots, unfinished effects, and plenty of other weird stuff. They are fascinating, but I can understand why they don't want them out there, it's like reading the second draft of a novel someone spent 20 drafts on.

I feel like directors cuts existed in the VHS era as that thing where horror movies got released with 50 different names with slightly different edits and you had to just know which was the "real one" (the one that showed the lady naked)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Snyder Cut was an international hit.

I've read multiple articles that implies it didn't really bring in new subscribers, and some third party analysis has determined that most people didn't actually finish the film (although without the actual data from HBO Max that is hard to tell, and that might be bullshit)

Also yes, director cuts are a thing and can be successful, but most of the time, the post production has already been mostly finished for all scenes, and it has the people that made the film actively advocating for it. The new Super Mario Bros. cut is interesting, but I don't think its feasible as a commercial product, and probably wouldn't be worth the effort to fully polish it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1400056596751921156