Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Is the rule against calling people nazis new?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

still lollin at the guy having a panic attack over covid killing his cats because he ate ice cream

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Owlspiracy posted:

still lollin at the guy having a panic attack over covid killing his cats because he ate ice cream

Circa march last year the covid thread(s) was just insane. People predicting bodies piled in the streets, the societal collapse/sex slavery post, owlofcreamcheese getting threadbanned from his own thread

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I remember backing away from one of the COVID threads when someone claimed that China's industry was permanently destroyed because the virus was sitting all over their machines like it was nuclear waste or something.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

xtal posted:

don't do it without proof, and the proof should be better than "makes tasteless jokes"

same goes with most accusations of other posters being horrible things that'd get them permabanned if it was true, really

e: its been around a while, i dont know how formal it was but i think accusations of that sort have always been frowned upon

Tiler Kiwi has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Jun 1, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Circa march last year the covid thread(s) was just insane. People predicting bodies piled in the streets, the societal collapse/sex slavery post, owlofcreamcheese getting threadbanned from his own thread

The same thing happened with Ebola c. 2014. Goons were predicting 2 billion people infected in six months.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Patrick Spens posted:

I remember backing away from one of the COVID threads when someone claimed that China's industry was permanently destroyed because the virus was sitting all over their machines like it was nuclear waste or something.

prester jane was posting about how the entire PLA had been wiped out and there were a billion refugees fleeing china that the media wasn't telling us about

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

xtal posted:

xtal post your podcast, it would be great for this thread

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Owlspiracy posted:

prester jane was posting about how the entire PLA had been wiped out and there were a billion refugees fleeing china that the media wasn't telling us about

seeing PJ go from "interesting insights about the Christian cult community" to "conspiracy theorist looking to get their own cultish following" over the course of 7 or so years was a really strange experience.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Famethrowa posted:

seeing PJ go from "interesting insights about the Christian cult community" to "conspiracy theorist looking to get their own cultish following" over the course of 7 or so years was a really strange experience.

Trauma begets trauma, man

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

i empathize with a lot of the initial anxiety because in march and april 2020 we didn't know anything and it was all scary. but the fact that in 2021 goons are still spraying everything down with bleach and worried about infecting their cat with toxic ice cream air is not ideal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, it's not like we can credit most many governments for handling it with any competence at all.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I am loathe to give credit to Australia but

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Everyone there was already used to the outdoors being a deadly place

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Waterbed Wendy posted:

sorry, tyler, mothman got me het up

please stop emailing my boyfriend, mothman

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it was kind of weird for me because at the beginning of the pandemic i was working in a hospital - i actually negotiated two days in instead of working from home because i thought it was important for someone in my role (trade union rep) to be there for people. you know, people informally drop in, or might not want to write down some specific concern and would feel more comfortable actually talking it out, and i wanted to make sure the union was showing the colours - i wouldn't be able to talk to people and say "we're all in this together!" lying in bed at home, you know? it meant taking the bus and it meant getting the drat thing once but you know, other than my fat arse i wasn't all that concerned - it sucked but it didn't kill me.

that role finished, (as it was planned to) and went back to uni which i've been doing since september - something i actually can do entirely remotely. i noticed that even though i was objectively putting myself at much less overall risk and was much safer, i became more afraid. because it was something i could control rather than part and parcel of the role - i had the option of holing up and doing the "right thing", and as such that became self reinforcing. the less i was forced to take risk the more frightening that risk was.

it's rough, i can understand why people describe it as cave syndrome or something - you really need to actively force yourself out because that tendency to hide away will consume you, eventually.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ishikabibble posted:

They mean in that comic specifically. It's not using Gen Z/boomer in actual reference to people from those generations so much as it is using them as a shorthand for basically meme value. The youngest boomer is 57, most of the old assholes people complain about are solidly gen x, but they're still called boomers regardless because that's just what's stuck as a shorthand for that specific group of behaviors.

Yeah, most of gen x looked at the boomers and thought we could cargo cult their prosperity. It worked for some of the older ones, just like it works for some of the more sociopathic millennials, which makes it even easier for the boomers to point and say "you just aren't working hard enough." No, I'm just not willing to hurt my coworkers for personal gain playing political games.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Even then the federal government was useless and it took the stage governments stepping in to actually stop the spread, and even now people are still chucking huge whining fits over it. Also helps that everything is so spread out here.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

RFC2324 posted:

Yeah, most of gen x looked at the boomers and thought we could cargo cult their prosperity. It worked for some of the older ones, just like it works for some of the more sociopathic millennials, which makes it even easier for the boomers to point and say "you just aren't working hard enough." No, I'm just not willing to hurt my coworkers for personal gain playing political games.

It doesn't help that pretty much every story of a millennial "making it" actually looks like this.

https://twitter.com/macaulaybalkan/status/1398805590030241792?s=19

Or this

https://twitter.com/TaigoTheman/status/1399072209566683136?s=19

Air Skwirl has a new favorite as of 17:51 on Jun 1, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Skwirl posted:

It doesn't help that pretty much every story of a millennial "making it" actually looks like this.

https://twitter.com/macaulaybalkan/status/1398805590030241792?s=19

Or this

https://twitter.com/TaigoTheman/status/1399072209566683136?s=19

I was thinking about the pharmabro douche, but yeah

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Loremasters, who's/what's the deal with Guy Mann/Sleeveless/other names?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Armitag3 posted:

he's just a dick. there wasn't much to him other than being maximally unpleasant regardless of the topic

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Armitag3 posted:

Garden variety troll.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Least surprising rereg ever

Armitag3 posted:

He is mostly just a condescending rear end in a top hat. Finally got done in for this whopper of a post but probably more on lifetime achievement basis.

Sleeveless posted:

I really wish they just had an entirely separate internet for everyone under 18, it would make life so much better for everyone. This isn't even the first youtube guy to have his life ruined because a girl lied about her age and then later cashed it in for cancel points once she felt guilty.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hub Cat has a new favorite as of 05:36 on Jun 2, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hub Cat posted:

He is mostly just a condescending rear end in a top hat. Finally got done in for this whopper of a post but probably more on lifetime achievement basis.

Worth noting that that post was pretty old by the time mods got around to nuking it. I feel like it was chosen as kind of a crown jewel of what kind of person they were

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Ah, disappointing. I was expecting a saga. Well, thanks anyway!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Armitag3 posted:

He's the weird person who, instead of just paying $10 to remove a ban, carried on with multiple accounts for years, slowly being whittled down to one as each account got banned.

Sleeveless was the one he started using as the primary after Guy Mann was fully banned, and at least once accused people of "dead naming" him when they said "shut the gently caress up Guy Mann"

Sleeveless was banned for some extremely creepy "sex accusers are just underage girls chasing clout when they change their mind".

of Science! didn't really do much but be extremely tedious and recently it was finally decided to hit all his accounts with 100K probes, except he's still regularly reporting posts in threads for no good reason.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Maybe I missed insane mega thread talk but my favorite are the climate change ones who just use climate change rhetoric as a thin veil to cover their neurotic aversion to children

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hub Cat posted:

ha! i knew it!

bit more effort than usual for this one, he even made a youtube account so that he could pose as a content creator who'd been lurking the forums before joining

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

RFC2324 posted:

Worth noting that that post was pretty old by the time mods got around to nuking it. I feel like it was chosen as kind of a crown jewel of what kind of person they were

IIRC he ate a ban+30 for it a few hours after it was posted but the 100k came later when it got brought up in this thread and the admins gave it a second look.

Hub Cat has a new favorite as of 05:36 on Jun 2, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hub Cat posted:

IIRC he ate a ban+30 for it a few hours after it was posted but the 100k came later when it got brought up in this thread and the admins gave it a second look.

Yeah, that fits. I was just responding to "this is what finally got him" because its a noteworthy detail that might help explain why he lasted so long

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Owlspiracy posted:

I just can't let this pass without comment. Prester Jane's early posts about coronavirus in China made me get my developmentally disabled brother out of his group home and into my mother's home one week before the group home was locked down for 6 months. I was also able to leave a very dangerous lovely job in the best possible way. I owe this person a profound debt of gratitude. They may have saved my life who knows? I do know that this stranger accidentally did more for me than anyone has in years.

Prester was predicting covid would have a massive impact on the United States and that certainly was correct. The whole thing was another example of Something Awful really helping someone. :)

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
i like prester jane

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Spinz posted:

I just can't let this pass without comment. Prester Jane's early posts about coronavirus in China made me get my developmentally disabled brother out of his group home and into my mother's home one week before the group home was locked down for 6 months. I was also able to leave a very dangerous lovely job in the best possible way. I owe this person a profound debt of gratitude. They may have saved my life who knows? I do know that this stranger accidentally did more for me than anyone has in years.

Prester was predicting covid would have a massive impact on the United States and that certainly was correct. The whole thing was another example of Something Awful really helping someone. :)

i'm glad you got your brother out and they helped you, but prester jane also had a lot of very bad posts that were very wrong as things got worse. there were a lot of other goons in those early days who had much more reasonable posts that were much more accurate about what would happen (and did happen). the early covid threads had quite a few epidemiologists and virologists who provided a ton of well researched, accurate information that helped a lot of people - before they got driven out. i also am less fussed about some of the super anxious goons early on, because back then we knew very little.

(and genuinely, i'm glad your brother is ok)

endocriminologist posted:

i like prester jane

prester jane is definitely one of the most entertaining sa posters.

Owlspiracy has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Jun 1, 2021

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

endocriminologist posted:

i like prester jane

I like prester jane as well, but it is important to know that she was raised in an apocalyptic death cult, which means she tends to look at things apocalyptically. When she says "This is bad," it's probably bad. When she says "This is the end of the world," that means all her worst instincts are in control, you probably should do some more research.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

ha! i knew it!

bit more effort than usual for this one, he even made a youtube account so that he could pose as a content creator who'd been lurking the forums before joining

What's weird is the account was registered a month before the 100k probes started hitting.

Their first post was weird enough, "hey people are posting my videos here!" and then you check and this is the channel. The channel was started in March 2020

And then you get to the Patreon with 0 subscribers that's been getting regular updates.

So this isn't some spur of the moment thing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

pentyne posted:

What's weird is the account was registered a month before the 100k probes started hitting.

Their first post was weird enough, "hey people are posting my videos here!" and then you check and this is the channel. The channel was started in March 2020

And then you get to the Patreon with 0 subscribers that's been getting regular updates.

So this isn't some spur of the moment thing.

Wait, what? Are separate goon sagas getting mashed together into the same conversation, or was there a youtube/patreon aspect to Guy Mann et al that I never heard of?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The Youtube/Patreon thing is new.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

sweet geek swag posted:

I like prester jane as well, but it is important to know that she was raised in an apocalyptic death cult, which means she tends to look at things apocalyptically. When she says "This is bad," it's probably bad. When she says "This is the end of the world," that means all her worst instincts are in control, you probably should do some more research.

she seems like a caring person with a lot of empathy, and had some sharp observations, but she also was (self-admittedly) schizophrenic and very clearly still has some cognitive distortions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hub Cat posted:

The Youtube/Patreon thing is new.

Oh I get it, I missed that there was a new account banned so I thought the discussion was talking about stuff from the original three. I managed to skip over their posts in this thread, those would've been a tediously obvious giveaway.