Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

sweet geek swag posted:

I like prester jane as well, but it is important to know that she was raised in an apocalyptic death cult, which means she tends to look at things apocalyptically. When she says "This is bad," it's probably bad. When she says "This is the end of the world," that means all her worst instincts are in control, you probably should do some more research.

She did something similar around Hurricane Harvey hitting Austin Houston, Texas. And granted, that was not pleasant, but she was at a "will be completely wiped from the map" scale of devastation projections.

Nuns with Guns has a new favorite as of 19:28 on Jun 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Nuns with Guns posted:

She did something similar around Hurricane Harvey hitting Austin Houston, Texas. And granted, that was not pleasant, but she was at a "will be completely wiped from the map" scale of devastation projections.

she had a series of posts saying that if the democrats won the house in the 2018 election the united states would collapse and a civil war would start. which was... not true, thankfully.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Almost like constant doomposting is a sign that something is wrong with their perspective.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Or perhaps the world is so doomed to failure that it can't even do an apocalypse correctly.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
yeah when goons wish for the collapse of the world order, that's just being goons being optimistic

only sort of a joke

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Tiler Kiwi posted:

yeah when goons wish for the collapse of the world order, that's just being goons being optimistic

only sort of a joke

the real joke is what would happen to all the goons who imagine themselves as king of the mad max-style wasteland if there actually was a significant change in the world around them

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Owlspiracy posted:

the real joke is what would happen to all the goons who imagine themselves as king of the mad max-style wasteland if there actually was a significant change in the world around them

I would provide my subjects adequate aquacola.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Owlspiracy posted:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I saw a comment when flipping through this weekend posts and it bears repeating, the Simpsons meme thread in gbs is the best / funniest thing in the forums.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

i only saw this out of the corner of my eye and before I recognized it I thought michael caine was talking to trump. still made sense

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Bismuth posted:

I think theres a little validity to generational differences but not the way they're set up now. Just going by years doesnt seem to make sense as much as maybe going by major cultural shifts/events. Like people that were already teens/adults when ubiquitous non-dialup internet hit probably had a pretty different childhood than those that were like 10 when it hit, who had a different experience than those born after that grew up with tablets as baby toys and stuff. Same as people who grew up with common phones in the household vs no phones probably had pretty different experiences socially that would shape who they are differently

In the US at least polling indicates a pretty sharp political cutoff for (mostly white) folks somewhere in the middle of "Gen X", right around age 50 or so. Americans in a 20 or so year upward range of that seem very different from the folks older and younger than them. Specifically, they're way more likely to be Trump lovers, with all the various attitude markers that entails (white racial grievance, sexism, conspiracy theory love, etc).

I like the current theory that this generational cohort (born ~1950-1970) is at the intersection of massively rising car culture and leaded gas still being a thing, so they've basically all got brain damage from atmospheric lead poisoning.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Leaded gasoline wasn't banned until 1996

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Heath posted:

Leaded gasoline wasn't banned until 1996

Phase out of leaded gas started in 73 or so, by the 90s it was under 1% of fuel sold.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
people should have been jailed over leaded gas, every time i think about it i get pissed off

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Phase out of leaded gas started in 73 or so, by the 90s it was under 1% of fuel sold.

For cars, it was still (and is still) in use for aircraft, which dumps a shitload of lead into the atmosphere, and air travel has increased substantially since the 70s

People keep repeating this thing about leadbrains or whatever in the context of lol boomers are dumb and angry as though neurological damage from accumulated toxins is funny and not a horrendous tragedy, and also as though younger people have escaped exposure even though a lot of places still suffer from environmental lead in water pipes and paint. It's not even kind of a solved issue

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Heath posted:

For cars, it was still (and is still) in use for aircraft, which dumps a shitload of lead into the atmosphere, and air travel has increased substantially since the 70s

basically only old prop planes at this point, jets don't have it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Owlspiracy posted:

I don't remember who I stole this idea from, but my zombie apocalypse survival plan is pretty simple. Become a zombie. The world isn't going to eat itself, that will take boots on the ground, and every person I infect is another zombie for the remaining humans to decapitate before they can decapitate me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Agreed, plus you get to eat those delicious brains

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Captain Hygiene posted:

And not have to worry about any prions!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tunicate posted:

basically only old prop planes at this point, jets don't have it.

Yeah the majority of air traffic isn’t sucking down 100LL avgas (which is pretty close to universally used in small aircraft now and has half the lead content of traditional avgas and pre-70s premium leaded gasoline). A few companies have started building diesel engines to replace avgas engines but those won’t find their way into old planes.

The FAA says they want to completely phase out 100LL in favour of 100UL or 100SF by 2023 but who knows if that’s realistic or not.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Captain Hygiene posted:

You'll starve

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Heath posted:

People keep repeating this thing about leadbrains or whatever in the context of lol boomers are dumb and angry as though neurological damage from accumulated toxins is funny and not a horrendous tragedy, and also as though younger people have escaped exposure even though a lot of places still suffer from environmental lead in water pipes and paint. It's not even kind of a solved issue

Also it's poisoned the ground soil in large areas. I remember when urban gardening was a becoming a trend and I lived in Oakland, kinda near the port of Oakland, and there were a bunch of articles about how you need to build a raised bed and buy soil for it, you can't just plant in your yard, you will poison your family. Fruit trees are fine, the tree filters out the lead before it gets to the oranges or whatever, but leafy greens like lettuce or spinach are dangerous and any root vegetables like carrots are just loving right out.

So yeah, if you live near a highway or especially a port that has hundreds of diesel trucks coming in and out of it every day for decades, check your soil before you plant anything you plan on eating.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Spinz posted:

You'll starve

Well I wasn't gonna feed exclusively from the goon community

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Lead from all sources has declined a lot, you can tell by testing kids blood. Regardless of where its coming from, much less of it is ending up in kids (and everyone else) now

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Tiler Kiwi posted:

people should have been jailed over leaded gas, every time i think about it i get pissed off

If I remember right, the dude that invented the lead additive, tetraethyl lead, had a big press conference to show it was perfectly safe, where he poured the additive all over himself and maybe even drank some of the additive?? to show how serious he was about it being safe and not causing lead poisoning. He had previously scheduled for an extended sick leave following the conference because he knew doing this would make him tremendously ill and definitely give him lead poisoning.

I'll absolutely admit to finding a strong element of bleak, absurdist humor in the idea that the defining political moments of the last decade have been due to mass brain damage. However, the main reason I like the "leadbrained boomers" idea is that it lets me live in a world where my parents and their cohort are sick, rather than one where they are in perfect control of their faculties, but when they saw a black president they immediately built a death cult around the first open fascist they were allowed to vote for.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
Thomas midgely is responsible for leaded gas and cfc refrigerant lol what a guy

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

Hes def on my "if i ever get a time machine" list

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i look forward to a brighter future where lead poisoning (gasoline) is OUT and corn poisoning (ethanol) is IN. an entire generation, corncobbed

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Stexils posted:

i look forward to a brighter future where lead poisoning (gasoline) is OUT and corn poisoning (ethanol) is IN. an entire generation, corncobbed

it's microplastics. we're all laminated on the inside

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bismuth posted:

he got done in by the fact we hadn't invented a vaccine for polio yet

In 1940, at the age of 51, Midgley contracted poliomyelitis, which left him severely disabled. He devised an elaborate system of ropes and pulleys to lift himself out of bed. In 1944, he became entangled in the device and died of strangulation

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

Isn't he the dude that also took a huge whiff of one of his inventions to prove its safe, impressed the nearby critics, and then spend the next few days bedridden?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Bismuth posted:

Later in his life, he got polio and constructed an elaborate system of ropes and pulleys to lift himself out of bed and ultimately got tangled up in them and died so if you're going to alter the timeline that's the lolworthy death bar you have to clear.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Zil posted:

Isn't he the dude that also took a huge whiff of one of his inventions to prove its safe, impressed the nearby critics, and then spend the next few days bedridden?

Thats the incident I posted about, apparently he didnt drink the tetraethyl lead, he poured it on his hands and arms and then huffed it for a minute straight, and he was sick for quite a bit longer than a few days.

The time travel kill list idea is funny, but I've always been partial to the (insane) idea that between CFCs and TEL, he was an alien infiltrator sent to ensure we never made it past a Type-0 civilization.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bismuth posted:

i think i'd try to gently caress someone else, personally

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

i just want to remember what is perhaps a top 5 of all time SA post

quote:

It's like a place we all picture in our minds when we think of proverbial small town America. Heck, if you walk the town there are American flags down the entire stretch of the road. But this place has lost a fifth of its population in 10 years. Incomes, already poverty-line, have dropped 25% in a decade. Exactly a year ago, a storm wrecked the place. It decimated a thrift store (now rebuilt) that is right next to where Doobie's Dog House will be located. I tell you all of this just to make a round-about point: A humble hotdog stand, of all the things in the world, could help this town. It could affect real change.

Hotdogs are hilarious. They're also universal, a sort of basic meat currency. And they're edible time machines. They bring us back to child-like states of glee and energy. If you eat a hotdog, you get to travel back to an age when you thought that anything was possible, you could do anything, you could become anyone.

Reform, Alabama could probably use a few hotdog-shaped time machines

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Thats the incident I posted about, apparently he didnt drink the tetraethyl lead, he poured it on his hands and arms and then huffed it for a minute straight, and he was sick for quite a bit longer than a few days.

The time travel kill list idea is funny, but I've always been partial to the (insane) idea that between CFCs and TEL, he was an alien infiltrator sent to ensure we never made it past a Type-0 civilization.

That you did, sorry that's what I get for only going to the last page of a thread and responding to the latest post.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Owlspiracy posted:

i just want to remember what is perhaps a top 5 of all time SA post

I was definitely not around for Doobie's Dog House, so I definitely missed this gem

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Owlspiracy posted:

quote:

hotdog-shaped time machine

The movie John Cusack should've starred in

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i think i'd try to gently caress someone else, personally

You can always go gently caress yourself, too :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

"i'm not even making this up. the two best quotes about him are that he "had more impact on the atmosphere than any other single organism in Earth's history" (J. R. McNeill) and that he had "an instinct for the regrettable that was almost uncanny" (Bill Bryson)."