Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
My assumption was that Venat either left Hydaelyn voluntarily or was forced out by Zenos/Fandaniel and is in the equivalent of a coma.

Basically, think of Venat as God in the film Dogma. She just went to play some skeeball and now she's in a coma and can't communicate with us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pyronic posted:

My understanding is that Azem was basically never present for city politics etc, travelling around and helping people as things got worse and worse. He might not have even known about either Zodiark or Hydaelyn before it happened.

I thought 5.2 or 5.3 said that Venat explicitly reached out to them and got a firm no. Could be misremembering I guess.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Azem left the convocation in direct opposition of the Zodiark plan. That's why there's no sanctioned stone for them - they were considered a traitor.

I don't think it's said if Azem refused Venat's group directly, but they definitely weren't part of the plan.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ImpAtom posted:

I assume the obvious answer is "Was not down for sacrificing most of their civilization, wanted another answer."

This is my assumption. Venat explained her plan to Azem, Azem told them to gently caress off with that mass sacrifice poo poo and went off on her own to find answers.

Obviously she failed, but it does present an interesting dichotomy that Azem's reincarnation is siding with Venat and Hydaelen now when she originally didn't. I could see that being thematically important.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I went digging in my screenshots folder.

Seems they just didn't get a reply from Azem and had to go forward with their plan without them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Kinda wondering if Sharlayan themselves aren't the ones who turned off the Hydaelyn valve.

Avowed neutrals are always the ones to hem and haw over what, specifically, constitutes neutrality in a way that is totally bullshit.

Maybe they're juicing Hydaelyn for Final Days info to better plan their fallout shelter.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Captain Oblivious posted:

Kinda wondering if Sharlayan themselves aren't the ones who turned off the Hydaelyn valve.

Avowed neutrals are always the ones to hem and haw over what, specifically, constitutes neutrality in a way that is totally bullshit.

Maybe they're juicing Hydaelyn for Final Days info to better plan their fallout shelter.

"We discovered this miraculous power source at the center of the star and are draining it to power our doomsday shelter!"

Very Shrina Power Corporation of them.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Hogama posted:

I went digging in my screenshots folder.

Seems they just didn't get a reply from Azem and had to go forward with their plan without them.

Yeah, so less of "they rejected our petition for aid" and more "we REALLY need to get the ball rolling on this and we can't wait for them anymore, so we'll go to the circuit court and file the drat motion of name change ourselves"...

...what...?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm really interested in learning more about who Venat actually is and what they did before the Final Days. Here's this person who seemingly had nothing to do with the Convocation, but managed to come up with a plan to counter their Zodiark plan and won. That's pretty impressive!

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Pyronic posted:

My understanding is that Azem was basically never present for city politics etc, travelling around and helping people as things got worse and worse. He might not have even known about either Zodiark or Hydaelyn before it happened.

I believe it's mentioned Azem turned down the offer both times. From what we're told they were very hands on and were probably traveling the land trying to find a solution that didn't involve mass murder and sacrifice.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Rhonne posted:

I'm really interested in learning more about who Venat actually is and what they did before the Final Days. Here's this person who seemingly had nothing to do with the Convocation, but managed to come up with a plan to counter their Zodiark plan and won. That's pretty impressive!

Honestly, I absolutely want to learn about Venat's Amaurot days, because I like Fantasy Politics, and the story of an upstart starting what's basically the main opposition party would be cool.

I don't really expect that, though. The devs seem disinclined towards exploring the actual political situation in Amaurot, despite all the Amaurotians we know of being politicians or Hythlodaeus.

Veev posted:

I believe it's mentioned Azem turned down the offer both times. From what we're told they were very hands on and were probably traveling the land trying to find a solution that didn't involve mass murder and sacrifice.

I bet this is true, because it sounds right on the money for what I think they'll do with Azem further down the track. They won't just not use them.

And what's gonna happen is at some point, maybe in 6.x, maybe the next expansion after Endwalker, we somehow pick up Azem's trail despite that being by all rights impossible as it seems right now, and find that they made progress on stopping what caused The Sound but never solved it. We will spend exactly one cutscene deliberating on the problem as we found it, maybe with a new NPC after a dungeon, until a Scion comes up with an unorthodox solution (my money's on G'raha, but I would prefer it be Estinien).

Implementation of this idea will take anywhere from one quest to several levels/patches, depending on when we find the problem, but I suspect the finale will end in a reflection of the one problem we know Azem solved: when they stopped a volcano erupting by focusing the fire aether into something they could fight. We will use Amaurotian magic to turn the indistinct and unstoppable monster that caused The Sound and Amaurot's End of Days into a boss that a Reaper can LB3 (it used to be a Dragoon, but I predict that by then Reapers will be the main LB3ers).

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 2, 2021

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I believe they’ve said that the 6.x patch series is New Storyline, so I would not expect Azem stuff to last past 6.0

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It could be part of the hook for the next story if they feel like it but if anything explores Azem in more detail anytime soon I expect it more from the Raid series, either or both of them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I believe they’ve said that the 6.x patch series is New Storyline, so I would not expect Azem stuff to last past 6.0

They've specifically said that 6.0 is the end of the Zodiark/Hydaelyn storyline. That leaves plenty of room for the next storyline to be about Azem and/or The Sound if they so chose.

I want them to choose otherwise, because I do not find Azem remotely interesting and, while I could see ways The Sound could go that I'd like, I don't expect them. But the fact remains that they're probably not starting the next story from complete zero, and those two would be prime as hooks for what comes next.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Cythereal posted:

This is my assumption. Venat explained her plan to Azem, Azem told them to gently caress off with that mass sacrifice poo poo and went off on her own to find answers.

Obviously she failed, but it does present an interesting dichotomy that Azem's reincarnation is siding with Venat and Hydaelen now when she originally didn't. I could see that being thematically important.

The sacrifice to make Hydaelyn has already been made and Hydaelyn is trying to stop more sacrifices.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A Sometimes Food posted:

The sacrifice to make Hydaelyn has already been made and Hydaelyn is trying to stop more sacrifices.

It's Amaurot, there is going to be a dumb as poo poo plan that involves human sacrifice somewhere.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Cythereal posted:

It's Amaurot, there is going to be a dumb as poo poo plan that involves human sacrifice somewhere.

Sure. That sounds like Hydaelyn. :rolleyes:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I dunno, my one and only actual prediction for EW is Hydy being sus.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

But Venat is such a trustworthy name

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

*cracking sound in dimensional fabric*

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I don’t see how they can say 6.0 is the end of the hydaelyn/zodiark plot and that not also be a finding a solution to The Sound

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

I don’t see how they can say 6.0 is the end of the hydaelyn/zodiark plot and that not also be a finding a solution to The Sound

Zodiark already solved the Sound (as far as the unsundered Ascians know or care) when he rewrote reality so, the easy answer is "they were wrong and we don't find out until later".

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I'm assuming The Sound is going to be relevant to Endwalker since it's what caused the Final Days the first time around. Presumably Fantastic Daniel figured out what it was and is planning on using it to trigger them again?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Zodiark already solved the Sound (as far as the unsundered Ascians know or care) when he rewrote reality so, the easy answer is "they were wrong and we don't find out until later".

Yeah but the “later” is 6.0, there’s no way it isn’t

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I had a thought that spun off into a long, long shot. Since the Hydie vs Zod plot is supposed to be done with 6.0, future content will go elsewhere right? But rather than entirely new zones in the unexplored New World and such, it'd be a good chance to revisit existing zones for new content and old side storylines. At least in 6.xx anyway. But what about beyond 6.xx? Well, that's the thing. Remember when we saw Shadowbringers earlier on before they revealed a lot of concrete information? I was wondering how they'd squeeze in so much seemingly unoccupied neutral territory between Eorzea and Garlemald. And I'm having the same thought again.

In SB they depicted occupied Ala Mhigo and Doma by largely having the imperial presence instanced/cutscene or spawned by quests. This left an open world that was supposed to be enemy territory but was actually mostly empty or wild. An Empire doesn't need to physically place occupying forces in every inch of its territory but the downside to this approach is the neutral open world we saw in SB. Before ShB revealed the twist in its premise, it was weird to see two seemingly neutral zones between Eorzea and Garlemald. They were important enough to be depicted of zones after all, so why would they be neutral? Neutral but occupied ala Ala Mhigo/Doma was a thought but we already saw the drawbacks of that approach. And ShB turned out to be on another Shard.

But what about Endwalker? ShB put off the question of where we'd visit in the line drawn between Eorzea and Garlemald. Endwalker thus far has shown Thavnair and THE MOON, with the cities Radz-at-han, and Sharlayan. We might not get a Sharlayan open world zone but that still means two areas for an expansion that aren't on that path to Garlemald. Obviously we could be invading Garlemald via the Near East or at least taking the most direct route for the Scions. What if, and this is a long shot here, this is because they want to save the area around Garlemald for 7.0? Rather than invading (and thus having the Ala Mhigo/Doma problem again), we'd be entering neutral territory to aid with nation-building and people-liberating. There's sure to be some leftover Garlean patriots, as well as Garlean-taught/inspired patriots. After all, Garlemald kicked a lot of rear end, took a lot of names, and someone's bound to think they could do the same now that they're gone. There's a lot more reason to have the neutral/wild territory ala 4.0 Ala Mhigo/Doma that is peppered by Garlean remnants without harming the feel and atmosphere at least. It also leaves room for open world progress/phasing if the open world does not need to depict two wildly different periods in time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They have been completely explicit, like literally in the text of one of the slides at the fan fest, that this expansion will involve unravelling the mysteries of the Final Days. It's not just Hydaelyn and Zodiark that are being dealt with, we're gonna be getting to the core of what started this whole mess in the first place. They're definitely not leaving that for the future.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yoshida has listed the following ideas for 7.0 when reassuring people that they won't run out any time soon:

Meracydia
The New World
Other shards besides the source and first
The past
The future

It's not conclusive but I sort of jlget the feeling like they consider this continent "done", which is why we're hopping all over it to visit locations we've heard a lot about and might theoretically have supported a full expansion, like Garlemald and Thavnair.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I hope "the past" and "the future" stay at the bottom of the list.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

I hope "the past" and "the future" stay at the bottom of the list.

Somebody has to fix the poo poo future that spawned the Tycoon :colbert:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like the past/future could be cool, particularly if presented similarly to The First? Maybe not directly impacting our timeline, or "here's some society we've heard about numerous times at it's height"

But I think I'd rather see other parts of the world first, as well.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The past would probably be more like The War of The Magi past.and less how ff11 did it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Past/Future could be handled like WoD where it's an alternate timeline like where the Crystal Exarch came from.

G'raha Tia is still locked up in the Crystal Tower, right now, today, in current Eorzea.

e: poo poo, nevermind, this was wrong I am sorry.

jokes fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 2, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Did Yoshida not explicitly say in the initial announcement that they would do the Sound in 6.0

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Waffleman_ posted:

Did Yoshida not explicitly say in the initial announcement that they would do the Sound in 6.0

This was never said.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Yoshida has listed the following ideas for 7.0 when reassuring people that they won't run out any time soon:

Meracydia
The New World
Other shards besides the source and first
The past
The future

It's not conclusive but I sort of jlget the feeling like they consider this continent "done", which is why we're hopping all over it to visit locations we've heard a lot about and might theoretically have supported a full expansion, like Garlemald and Thavnair.

also when 'other shards' are mentioned, a very obvious one is a Void expansion. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that's the next expansion, Reaper feels like lead-up to it, and there's the role quests.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If they ever run out of ideas they can always have you go to The Seventh and unlock the new classes SOLDIER, Local Florist, and Monk In A Bra.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

So I think I figured out a link between the main ShB story and the Nier raids:

"How long we have waited to throw wide the gates."

That specific word choice makes me think of the last person who was going on about throwing wide the gates. I'm thinking that the Scions weren't the only ones who heard his invitation, and that's why the machines showed up on the First, rather than the Source like the last off-world visitors we had.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

This was never said.

What brought about the Final Days, that seems like getting into the Sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
as the last vestiges of zodiark shimmer and disappear, the music swells and our hero looks out dramatically to see a dear friend beckoning over the next horizon, we stride off purposefully as the camera tilts slowly up to the stars, the sky explodes
into an array of rainbow colors as the words "THE NEW ADVENTURES OF HILDIBRAND AND HIS FRIENDS" fade into existence, a corbyn swims by in the background, chased by a green chicken

begin 6.1