Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
All true, and can also add Magnamalo Sticky 3/Slicing combo and Anjanath Sticky 3/Cluster 2 combo. Kaboom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Kushala and rampage are better for ice and thunder than Goss and khezu respectively

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

The only people who like underwater combat enough to want it to return have some sort of weird nostalgia fueled Stockholm syndrome for it.

A lot of the mons were cool but that's probably the one gimmick I'd want to return the least.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it was very solidly a gimmick that will hopefully not come back, if nothing else because it would choke out development on other things with how much effort it would take to include in the new gen of games

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I want them to bring back Zorah for World 2, but not as a monster to hunt. Make it bigger, like an Apex Zorah or something, and just have a whole stage take place on its back. Like have an ecosystem built up on the back of a big, slowly lumbering behemoth that I can chase mons through. Maybe even add a wrinkle where Rajang can just throw you clear off the fucker :twisted:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Let us have underwater combat on Zorah's back.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I liked underwater combat and miss my friend, gobul

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

And Tyler Too! posted:

If you're looking for more diversity as a LBG user you've got a couple of options:

Magnamalo is the undisputed king of Spread 3's, and is handy with Pierce & Normals too, you can make this gun do just about anything related to raw damage.
Zinogre can rapid-fire Slicing (very cool) and is okay with Normal 2's
Rathalos is the go-to for Fire Element gunning
Almudron is the go-to for Water
Khezu is great for Thunder
Goss Harag is good for Ice

I use Magnamalo with Sticky/Clusters and Slicing, it really can do anything. I manage to fit Attack Boost 7 on there so while I'm doing as much Slicing wise as Zinogre (Rapid Fire Up as well) it's really cool to be able to do loads of knockdowns and also break body parts with the slicing stuff, all while doing good safe damage

I do have Spread 3 loaded, but I only use it during a knockdown (Special shot > spread 3 into weakpoints repeatedly, more to save ammo than to do more damage and it feels cool). If you don't use spread this way you can actually run out of stickies and slicing in a single fight even with the berries to craft them.

The good thing about Sticky, Cluster and Slicing is none of them use the Gunner hitzones on a monster- Sticky does fixed damage (but you want headshots) and Slicing does the same damage a sword does. With a lot of the newer, tougher monsters that means that while on paper a pierce gun might do more in practice those options can beat them.

It does require a LOT of crafting micromanagement though - you are literally crafting shots in between shooting a monster, and your Argosy trips will need to be collecting ammo nonstop. It can be very finicky and you need to set up good menus but it's fun when it all clicks

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I just wanted to say that underwater combat is dogshit and anyone defending it in itc is coocoos bananas.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Why they can't get MH Stories 1, and a 4U remastered on Switch is beyond me. I'd get them both immediately.

Vanant
Mar 27, 2010

RuBisCO posted:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Captain Lavender posted:

Why they can't get MH Stories 1, and a 4U remastered on Switch is beyond me. I'd get them both immediately.

stories 1 is on any android or ios device where it runs really well and is often like 5 bucks if you want it on a the go.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Aranan posted:

All true, and can also add Magnamalo Sticky 3/Slicing combo and Anjanath Sticky 3/Cluster 2 combo. Kaboom.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm mainly just thinking about if there's any hard upgrade on the Narga, but it looks like there are just playstyle changes. Broadly I'm just smart enough to deal with crafting Pierce 2 on the fly but actually making the other ammo is just never going to happen.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm mainly just thinking about if there's any hard upgrade on the Narga, but it looks like there are just playstyle changes. Broadly I'm just smart enough to deal with crafting Pierce 2 on the fly but actually making the other ammo is just never going to happen.

Narga is the best in class for pierce gunning, nothing comes close to it.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

There's a World/Iceborne patch today that reportedly drops Denuvo DRM: https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/monster-hunter-world-has-dropped-denuvo-drm-2955020 The Steam patch notes don't say anything beyond it comes out at 5pm PST today.

I'm not happy to see this, it'll almost certainly break mods all over again - it'd be better to do this earlier in the game's cycle or not at all. But whatevs, I just hope Stracker and others keep their stuff up to date.

If you're using Stracker's loader or the Performance Improvement patch, expect stuff to break.

Will be very loving mad if they make it so the GL mod can't be loaded.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Natural 20 posted:

If you bind it to the action wheel, it's just a matter of hitting the button. Almost every ammo is the same as piercing, with the major exception being stickies. For stickies you just need two buttons - you craft sticky 3 (which uses sticky 1), and then craft sticky 1. At the very least if you're using Narga, it's worth putting slicing on the same action wheel so that you can top those up as well, as slicing ammo is pretty darned good.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

cuckoo not coocoo. voila not walla. oaxaca not wahaca

this has been spelling tips with achmed jones, please like and subscribe

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/1400606703754821633

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Where's quest to unlock Prance, you fuckers :argh:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Crowetron posted:

Where's quest to unlock Prance, you fuckers :argh:

They’re going to make me pay for it like an idiot.

And I will loving buy it the SECOND it’s available.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Yeeeessss more stickers gimme gimme

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

How do you change the blue action bar sticker? I must have been missing it somewhere in the chat menu.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
I think you can only hide/show and maybe change the order of action bar items, but you can’t customize it like the radial menus.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

In the action bar menu hit whichever button is labeled communication settings at the bottom of the screen

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Dirk the Average posted:

If you bind it to the action wheel, it's just a matter of hitting the button. Almost every ammo is the same as piercing, with the major exception being stickies. For stickies you just need two buttons - you craft sticky 3 (which uses sticky 1), and then craft sticky 1. At the very least if you're using Narga, it's worth putting slicing on the same action wheel so that you can top those up as well, as slicing ammo is pretty darned good.

The crafting is fine. The topping up seeds / berries in my inventory is just not happening.

The greatest part of pierce 2 is that you make it from pierce 1 which is vendor buyable and gunpowder 2 which is also on the vendors. The number of times when i was on pierce 1 and just forgot to bring latchberries is too high.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

lets hang out posted:

In the action bar menu hit whichever button is labeled communication settings at the bottom of the screen

To expand on this, the four stickers can be changed in the Communication Settings sub-menu to any shoutout/sticker/gesture/pose set. So it's more like "Communication Slot 1/2/3/4", whereas everything else can only be turned on/off or moved around.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Natural 20 posted:

The crafting is fine. The topping up seeds / berries in my inventory is just not happening.

The greatest part of pierce 2 is that you make it from pierce 1 which is vendor buyable and gunpowder 2 which is also on the vendors. The number of times when i was on pierce 1 and just forgot to bring latchberries is too high.

Are you aware that you can save loadouts for your items? This way restocking after a hunt (which will top off your ammo materials) only takes like 3 button presses.

Or are you talking about not wanting to run around and pick flowers to make ammo? Because I never do that, myself. Just send some cats off on the submarines and they rake in plenty of raw materials.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Achmed Jones posted:

cuckoo not coocoo. voila not walla. oaxaca not wahaca

this has been spelling tips with achmed jones, please like and subscribe

In a similar vein- whale, not wail (when talking about hitting something).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Aranan posted:

Are you aware that you can save loadouts for your items?

What.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

When you go to your item box in the village/hub and select "Manage Items" at the top, the bottom of the following list will be "Item Loadouts." You can save your current item pouch configuration like an equipment loadout for easy switching later. That way you don't have to manually Transfer Items every time.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Have the Raging Brachy GL, which is a huge step up in damage (raw, sharpness and shelling level!) and comes with 2 slots, 4-3. Seems close to BIS for GL, apparently the Safi one can get just a little bit better in damage, though by a miniscule amount.

I'm just 4 ebon shells away from all the Brachy pieces needed for the full Brachy armor set, which looks amazing for GL/CB but also need a Shara Ishvalda Gem and a Seething Bazel Mantle.

Kiranico implies Shara Ishvalda investigations exist, but I've never seen one - not looking forward to grinding this as a 2% drop. The only Seething Bazel investigation I have is a 2x gold 1-cart, think I'll solo that given how poorly single carters do in MP and since I have only that one investigation.

v1ld posted:

If you're using Stracker's loader or the Performance Improvement patch, expect stuff to break.

Stracker's Loader does break but if you rename dtdata.dll in the root of your MHW install to hid.dll, the loader and your mods will continue to work. You get a scary looking warning from the loader about hid.dll being an outdated method, just ignore it and keep playing.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

v1ld posted:

Have the Raging Brachy GL, which is a huge step up in damage (raw, sharpness and shelling level!) and comes with 2 slots, 4-3. Seems close to BIS for GL, apparently the Safi one can get just a little bit better in damage, though by a miniscule amount.

I'm just 4 ebon shells away from all the Brachy pieces needed for the full Brachy armor set, which looks amazing for GL/CB but also need a Shara Ishvalda Gem and a Seething Bazel Mantle.

Kiranico implies Shara Ishvalda investigations exist, but I've never seen one - not looking forward to grinding this as a 2% drop. The only Seething Bazel investigation I have is a 2x gold 1-cart, think I'll solo that given how poorly single carters do in MP and since I have only that one investigation.
Stracker's Loader does break but if you rename dtdata.dll in the root of your MHW install to hid.dll, the loader and your mods will continue to work. You get a scary looking warning from the loader about hid.dll being an outdated method, just ignore it and keep playing.

I'm sure investigation odds are coded in as failsafes for monsters that can't be investigated, kiranico likes to give all the data despite it not all being valid, like what you'd get for capturing Elder Dragons in the Guiding Lands for instance. However, if you have any Celestial Melding Tickets, those can be used to get any Mantle equivalent from the melder except for Fatalis's. You might consider that for Shara Ishvalda.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Whoa, thanks for the heads up! I do have some Celestial tickets. Haven't really used the melder much, good to know. Wasn't looking forward to the SI grind at all, don't like the fight much.

Agree with you on Kiranico just showing defaulted data (16% gold eg).

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

RuBisCO posted:

I'd rather do Goldbeard's fight 100000 times than have to fight Narwa again.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i had an orb of origin and used it to upgrade some armor

i think i hosed up

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

That melder tip saved me some unfun hunts for the Shara Ishvalda Gem. I had 9 Celestial tickets. The Seething Bazel Mantle dropped in the first investigation run, which was nice.

So now I have my first real end-game set and the first major upgrade from what I had from around MR 2/3*.

Can't believe how tailored the Raging Brachy set is for Gunlance. I'd run the shoes too but lack the decos to get to Evade Extender 2+ with that setup.

Agitator Secret and Artillery Secret sure are something! Set also has Protective Polish and Clutch Claw Boost on it. Went ahead and fit in Health Boost for the first time this run, figure it's all at the Raging Brachy/Furious Rajang level from here on out and it's good to get that boosted eHP going again. It's funny, I relied a lot on Health Boost when I first play World but not so much this run until now.

Safi's siege didn't turn out to be bad at all even though I wasn't particularly looking forward to another siege. The focus on you mechanic is fun too, nice motivation to go for more damage to keep it focused on you.

Have run out of quests/special investigations other than Alatreon, who can wait for a bit. Time to go into the Guiding Lands.

E: Raging Brachydios is still the toughest fight of the lot for me, though I've yet to try it after building this set. Furious Rajang was markedly easier with the upgrade.

I still occasionally try to Guard Dash with a Gunlance even though that's a Lance move and I haven't played one in years. At least part of it is conflating the Rising Slash with Guard Dash - look, I'll just Guard Dash through this attack into the mon's face and then go right into the slam from there. It's almost always a ton of damage to the face every time I make the mistake, but that doesn't seem to be hastening the learning experience so far.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 5, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Raging Brachy is so insanely fun. By far the best individual fight in all the MonHun I’ve played.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, it's impressive just how much effort they put into the mechanics for that fight.

Honestly most if not all of the sub-species in MR have been great in how well designed they are. Though none of the other variants really approach Brachy and Rajang's full majesty, because even Stygian Zinogre has to stop and take a breath occasionally unlike the two top of the foodchain cokeheads. Though Zin's full combo that ends with the corkscrew is quite impressive the first few times, but it's much easier to read and adjust to compared to what Brachy and Rajang can do.

Looking forward to the metal rath variants, they were quite impressive in GU.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Dumb question but in Rise is it possible to remove the speech bubble from stickers if you just want to spam the sticker? It looks dumb with a blank bubble and translated shoutouts only apply to certain stickers I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Deified Data posted:

Dumb question but in Rise is it possible to remove the speech bubble from stickers if you just want to spam the sticker? It looks dumb with a blank bubble and translated shoutouts only apply to certain stickers I think

Nope, the speech bubble will always be there. If you don't want to write anything you could always just put a bunch of ♪ ♫ symbols or something similar using the Symbols keyboard.

Also handy, I made a sticker (with the DLC palamute being dragged along with a big "X" in the background) in English and Japanese that says "Capture/捕捉: X" to try to get the point across. If you want to try to match it up you can use the Japanese romaji input to type out "hosoku" and match the kanji that pops up.