Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bootcha posted:

I've come to refer to this social phenomenon as "Telescopism".

Imagine a salesman is selling telescopes, and you and your partner go up to him. He tells you that you can see the moon with them, in such incredible detail. You, in your skepticism, ask for a demonstration. He sets up a telescope pointing at the moon, and asks you to only look at the moon through the telescope and cover your ears. You oblige him, looking at the moon only through the telescope, and plugging your ears with your fingers. It's initially dark, the end piece is covered, until the sounds of things shuffling mostly stop, and the salesman announces he's taking off the cover. You see a big moon with what looks like trees, water, cities, even little green men moving around. "This is incredible," you exclaim, "I have never seen the moon like this!" The salesman responds equally enthusiastic, but slightly out of breath, "Only with my telescope can you see the true nature of the moon! Keep looking at it, until I tell you to stop!" You do so, until the telescope you look through goes dark and black, as the salesman covers the end aperture. "You can stop looking now," the salesman eventually says, after the sounds of things shuffling cease. Finally being able to look at the salesman you ask, "May I buy this telescope?" The salesman replies "That telescope has already been sold, but I can make you another one, even better than this one, because there's new technology that allows you to see even more detail of the moon I want to use. I'll even send you regular updates about building the telescope, and all the incredible things you can see with it." You sign a contract with the salesman, give him a significant amount of money, and walk away with your partner. Your partner, having witnessed the exchange from their perspective, is cross with you. "How could you let that man swindle you like that? Did you not see the telescope was a cardboard tube? Did you not see him use a trunk of props? Did you not see him putting on a puppet show for you?" they ask.

"I don't know what you're talking about," you say to your partner, "I only saw the moon."

This is complicated, and I'm not sure it exactly captures the mood.

CIG is not hiding their incompetence and inability to do things, they are showing it while they are lying.

So it's more like the guy is sitting there smiling as he watches the salesman put the diorama together and patting it and saying "this is going to be the best moon you ever saw" and then he has the rube look through the toilet paper roll and he moves one of the paper moon people to wave its little arm at him.

"Did you see him wave at you?! He thinks you are special! You're like his earth friend now!!! Wow it sure must be awesome to be you! You've got a moon family now! For this amazing low price you can help him have his own moon life and you can watch him grow and you know what, we're also building a space train so you can visit your moon friend you support... some day!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Fidelitious posted:

There is no universe in which I believe this to be true.
I have an Apex Legends shirt that the dev team gave us for supporting their in-game economy work. I note that this is a game that has tens of millions of unique players.
I have had literally one person even mention it, and that's only because I was already interacting with them to pay for a hotel room.

People don't just go around approaching people because of their shirts.

Don't rain on the guys parade as he pretends to be helping to bolster the CIG NPS score just by walking around with a shirt on.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Tippis posted:

The boat whisperer.

I tried to make "gunboat diplomat" in Latin, but the closest I could get was legatus bellum naviculam

"Boat commanders" according to google translate latin->english, I done messed up lol

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

NumptyScrub posted:

"Obsessed with details at the expense of the big picture" has been CR's modus operandi basically for ever.
It also describes the most ardent fans, to the point where I've wondered if there's a psychological classification for how much people look at the details vs. the big picture. Like fans will point to fully rendered rivets as evidence of fidelity, while I look at the same video and think how completely unrealistic everything is.

Whatever the spectrum is, I'm apparently on the opposite end from Star Citizen fans because I can watch a Superman movie where Henry Cavill suddenly has a digitally-edited mustache and it doesn't phase me because at least he still moves like Henry Cavill.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Blackstone posted:

"One of Roberts' stated goals was to create a sense of scale. No space combat sim has yet been able to capture the magnitude of a massive capital ship. Freelancer looks as though it may change that, with enormous space stations and capital ships that truly dwarf your seemingly small fighter. Beyond the size, ship detail was remarkable, including moving parts and highly detailed textures.

This ofcourse conveniently forgets that Freespace 1 and 2 had some truly ridiculously massive capital ships. And not that it matters since Roberts was not in charge anymore at that point but nothing in Freelancer was even all that big.

Tzarnal fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 4, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I don't really understand why he didn't just make a better Freelancer. Just take the things in that game, bring them into the modern era, add some features and just in general make the game better and more fun with more content. This absolute mess they've come up with is ridiculous when that would've probably been funded nearly as much and actually be doable.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tzarnal posted:

This ofcourse conveniently forgets that Freespace 1 and 2 had some truly ridiculously massive capital ships. And not that it matters since Roberts was not in charge anymore at that point but nothing in Freespace was even all that big.

It's also worth remembering that CRobbo never had that much of an understanding of, or insight into, the industry he was in. My old rant about Strike Commander gives a classic example of him attributing a wave of change that was happening in the industry to something he did, rather than understanding that what he did was just another part of that wave of change… and he was just a bit late in getting on board because he never kept track of what was going on.

In a sense, his “visionary” work on the Wing Commander games was much the same: it was classic Cinemaware interactive storytelling combined with classic Lucasart simcade gameplay. None of it was new. Forgetting what has been done already is a long-standing tradition in everything Chris ever attempts.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

Play posted:

I don't really understand why he didn't just make a better Freelancer. Just take the things in that game, bring them into the modern era, add some features and just in general make the game better and more fun with more content. This absolute mess they've come up with is ridiculous when that would've probably been funded nearly as much and actually be doable.

That's literally what the first batch of backers actually wanted. It's what I was interested in at the time. The the money really started rolling in and... well... the promises got more and more ridiculous the higher the funding total got

Looking forward to those extra 99 systems, that they were 100% confident they could deliver if they hit that $5m funding stretch goal. :v:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Play posted:

He wanted more money and he's not good at making things, OP

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Play posted:

He can't. Not while he has too much money and freedom. It would be like asking a kleptomaniac why can't them stop stealing the soap dispenser from your bathroom, they can't control themselves.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I can't wait for backers to unironicaly assert that development didn't really start until after Chris Roberts left the company. He had to build multiple game companies from scratch and then realize he can't make games befoore the dream could be realized.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mrking posted:

I can't wait for backers to unironicaly assert that development didn't really start until after Chris Roberts left the company. He had to build multiple game companies from scratch and then realize he can't make games befoore the dream could be realized.

I suggest "After Chris" (AC) or "Before Zurovek" (BZ) to help number the years of development.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
We could also use AJB (After the July Blog)

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Play posted:

Because he failed to make Freelancer in the first place.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Good post.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

FishMcCool posted:

What HAS he made? lol

marumaru posted:

Good post.

It's absolutely hilarious how that (somehow both self-aggrandizing and self-pitying at the same time) statement from Roberts lays out all of this stuff that they should've done differently and it's all stuff he is doing the same way or much worse now.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

It's like Chris loves blade runner so much not only is he trying to copy what he can, he also took the last scene with Roy talking about all the things in his life and literally made a video game about telling you all the cool things you'll never get to see either.

Good back of the box quote right there.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

Play posted:

What HAS he made? lol
It's absolutely hilarious how that (somehow both self-aggrandizing and self-pitying at the same time) statement from Roberts lays out all of this stuff that they should've done differently and it's all stuff he is doing the same way or much worse now.

Chris is incapable of introspection. I'm saying this because while he unapologetically tries to place himself beside Coppola as a visionary creator, in that blurb regarding Strike Commander, he also proves himself incapable of learning from those past mistakes, or tempering his enthusiasm for complexity when it was a primary driver for the issues that Strike Commander (and later, Freelancer) would have.

Those same issues which have also been causing problems for Star Citizen since 2012

I think Chris may be a not-good game designer :ohdear:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Play posted:

What HAS he made? lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Q6qrzYw5I

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

marumaru posted:

Good post.

"Almost a quarter of a century later"

>checks post date.

2016. :laffo:. We were such naïve children back then. We didn't know (and we still most likely don't) the true Power of Chris

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

NumptyScrub posted:

I think Chris may be a not-good game designer :ohdear:

He has an aspect of Dunning-Kruger or something similar. He has great dreams and he is great at selling his dreams, but he is incapable of realizing those dreams or even giving control to competent people, because he thinks he's a super star game dev and code whisperer.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

lobsterminator posted:

He has an aspect of Dunning-Kruger or something similar. He has great dreams and he is great at selling his dreams, but he is incapable of realizing those dreams or even giving control to competent people, because he thinks he's a super star game dev and code whisperer.

Honestly, I don't think so. He's just a scammer and not a self-deluded one.

When this poo poo storm started? Maybe. But in 2021? No way José

trucutru fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 4, 2021

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

FishMcCool posted:

:iceburn:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

He compared himself to JFK and Star Citizen to landing on the Moon.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Honestly that he's a cokehead sounds more and more like the most plausible expansion to me. The sweaty grandiosity, shadiness, manic energy, overconfidence, financial shenanigans, all of it has strong coke energy.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

To his credit, I don't think he started off trying to scam people.

Pretty sure it sort of matured into that and a matter of fact "people want to give me money for nothing" kind of attitude that grew up later.

Honestly you have to have integrity as a person to both control yourself and others and realize that "I have enough to do what I said I would do, and I'm going to do that thing now to make people happy."

This is why Kickstarter exists, but it's also why things like Patreon exist too, where people can fund some projects for thing they like indefinitely.

My biggest thing with the project has been sort of two fold:
1: Promising things you have no intention to deliver or no ability to deliver
2: Selling people these promises

You can just go back and look at the original Kickstarter goals to see how far off base what's been sold vs what's been made.

Also when things keep popping up like Marine Captain and Theaters of What you know that not only is your money not going into what you thought it was (developmentally), but you're also not being told what CIG is doing when one of their claims to fame has been "transparency".

FOIP out of nowhere, planet landings out of nowhere... all of these things nobody was told about until they suddenly were there and nobody was able to stop them and focus on just making the original drat promise. Nobody asked for or was even believing that eating hot dogs and tracking the argon in a room was going to be part of the scope... because it just keeps growing and growing.

CR has shiny objects syndrome, and a total inability to manage a large project over even the course of a month, without destroying the plans already in place from last months promises and development goals.

As a CEO, "absolving myself" is not something you do and it's hilarious that people are still giving him money.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Imagined posted:

Honestly that he's a cokehead sounds more and more like the most plausible expansion to me. The sweaty grandiosity, shadiness, manic energy, overconfidence, financial shenanigans, all of it has strong coke energy.

* cough*

Vitamins.

He is a vitamin taker.

And these vitamins really unlock his inner abilities like none other!!!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well you see they had a backer poll that asked "Do you want the greatest game of all time or that lovely one we originally pitched on Kickstarter?" and backers resoundingly said give us more so it's all fine.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Popete posted:

Well you see they had a backer poll that asked "Do you want the greatest game of all time or that lovely one we originally pitched on Kickstarter?" and backers resoundingly said give us more so it's all fine.

Yes.

Did anybody ever find that poll? Because I feel like it's the only poll that CIG has ever apparently adhered to and golly gee whiz it happens to be the one that resulted in CIG taking a decade to not make a complete game yet because gosh darn it out 13 people voted "go all in and never stop ever ever!!!"

And similar to that poll, find a second poll where user input was asked for and resulted in CIG changing directions plz thank you.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The Brexit model. "It's a terrible idea we have no idea how to accomplish but gosh darn it, we held a non-binding poll and 50.1% of the people who bothered to vote told us to do it so we're going to do it or die trying whether it's a good idea or not!"

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

This is complicated, and I'm not sure it exactly captures the mood.

CIG is not hiding their incompetence and inability to do things, they are showing it while they are lying.

So it's more like the guy is sitting there smiling as he watches the salesman put the diorama together and patting it and saying "this is going to be the best moon you ever saw" and then he has the rube look through the toilet paper roll and he moves one of the paper moon people to wave its little arm at him.

"Did you see him wave at you?! He thinks you are special! You're like his earth friend now!!! Wow it sure must be awesome to be you! You've got a moon family now! For this amazing low price you can help him have his own moon life and you can watch him grow and you know what, we're also building a space train so you can visit your moon friend you support... some day!"

I'd argue the incompetent in-your-face lying came later, years after promising those features, when they became untenable to ignore. By that moment, Citizens have been trained to only believe what they saw through the telescope, and the added confidence that hundreds of thousands of other suckers surrounding themselves with generative comforting lies for every delay/non-delivery/speed-bump/letdown, means Citizens don't even acknowledge, much less get concerned about, the technical theatre being performed. In a sense, nearly all of them are still looking through the telescope.

In fact, the only times Citizens have reacted negatively to something CR/CIG did, was when the thing done actively made the Citizens themselves look like suckers and apologists and cultists, like the CitCon paid streaming tickets or the referral system. Citizens are able to better deflect criticism of those labels if the Citizens themselves generatively embrace those aspects without CIG overtly dictating that behavior.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

The Titanic posted:

This is why Kickstarter exists, but it's also why things like Patreon exist too, where people can fund some projects for thing they like indefinitely.

My biggest thing with the project has been sort of two fold:
1: Promising things you have no intention to deliver or no ability to deliver
2: Selling people these promises

You can just go back and look at the original Kickstarter goals to see how far off base what's been sold vs what's been made.

Now that you mention it, it's kind of funny.

If this had been a Patreon for the “let's keep slamming our palms against keyboards and see what comes out” project, I would probably have been entirely fine with this whole thing. Open-ended, free to chip in as much as you like to fund the continued stream of ill-advised but comedic garbage, and no real promises beyond that it will be entertaining to watch. It would be perfect.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 4, 2021

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tippis posted:

Now that you mention it, it's kind of funny.

If this had been a Patreon for the “let's keep slamming our palms against keyboards and see what comes out” project, I would probably have been entirely fine with this whole thing. Open-ended, free to chip in as much as you like to fund the continued stream of ill-advised but comedic garbage, and no real promises beyond that it will be entertaining to watch. It would be perfect.

Actually yeah something about the patreon model of “pay me a little bit until you realize I’m full of poo poo” would make SC moderately less reprehensible to me for reasons I can’t really articulate

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/g6JgCNk.mp4

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

Actually yeah something about the patreon model of “pay me a little bit until you realize I’m full of poo poo” would make SC moderately less reprehensible to me for reasons I can’t really articulate

It's probably just the blunt honesty underlining it. “Pay me to keep going. Nothing else.”
It's what CRobber and the backers are already doing, except they're trying desperately not to mention the second bit and instead hide it behind a thin veneer of theory crafting and increasingly elaborate explanations why that means that while it may seem like nothing else is happening, it definitely will. Some time in the future. Honestly. Pinky-promise.

A scheme of, ”if you enjoy giving me money, give me money” is just more honest than “if you enjoy giving me money, let me help you pretend you're doing it for some other reason.”

Tippis fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 4, 2021

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

The Titanic posted:

* cough*

Vitamins.

He is a vitamin taker.

And these vitamins really unlock his inner abilities like none other!!!

This but with the unmistakable thumb head of Cris Blobbers

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

Nuh-uh!
I have an Äventyrsspel t-shirt, and people comment on it a fair amount. But of course, that's probably more because they were such a foundational element of geek culture back in the day that anyone who remembers them is compelled on a deep emotional level to react. :cheeky:

Kind of like how people might react to you wearing a NES style 2D Mario/Zelda t-shirt because it was part of their childhood.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just get an Obama T-shirt, see if you don't get people coming to talk to you.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Just get an Obama T-shirt, see if you don't get people coming to talk to you.

Paired with a red MAGA hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Bofast posted:

Kind of like how people might react to you wearing a NES style 2D Mario/Zelda t-shirt because it was part of their childhood.

the reaction of walking in the other direction at an abnormally high pace