Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The_Doctor posted:

I realised this morning I’ve still not seen The Keep, and looking it up, there’s a 96 minute cut which is apparently dreadful, maybe a 2 hour cut and a 3.5 hour cut(??!). What’s the availability on these longer cuts?

Fate Accomplice posted:

I'd never heard of this movie till your post and according to the google the 210 cut was never released.

I checked around :filez: sources and only could find the 96 minute.

Only the 96 minute version was actually released, but there were a was a wide variety of odd TV cuts of the movie too with several different scenes and different endings

The 96 minute version that's around now is pretty much what was released in theaters. I think the only difference is some of the effects shots during the climax.

There is ONE big difference though - some digital releases of the movie had a filler score instead of Tangerine Dream's music :wtc: Several years ago Netflix had it with the original soundtrack.

It sucks because this movie is so fuckin' awesome sounding and looking but like everyone involved in it getting made hates it so it's never going to really get restored or a definitive cut of it or anything like that.

GOAT level soundtrack imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VPKs1Io7A0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc6tflsFlN4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I saw some version on I think Amazon that looked like a badly compressed VHS rip.

Not being able to see what was going on half the time added to the eerie mystique of the flick.

It's a pretty fascinating movie that doesn't quite work and the "Clean Wehrmacht" aspect of it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah I haven't been able to find any version besides the 96 either, which I watched a few months ago. Cool aesthetic, great soundtrack, but a real incoherent mess. When you get to the last 15 minutes, the editing is especially egregious, the music changes with each cut.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I wasn't interested in Spiral, but this description has got me curious.

My wife agreed with the description. The whole thing looks like Lethal Weapon 6 from Sunny. There are also a bunch of Mac/Charlie/Dennis decisions. Hitting old tropes and clichés but playing them super straight and as if you were smart for doing so, having a stupid hot babe whose character should be like 50 years old, and a flashback that indicates itself by having the character wear a backwards baseball cap, because that's what young people wear.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fate Accomplice posted:

I'd never heard of this movie till your post and according to the google the 210 cut was never released.

I checked around :filez: sources and only could find the 96 minute.

I did see one marked ‘fanedit’ which apparently restores some other ending from a TV airing rather than the one on dvd.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

sigher posted:

Has anyone seen Shadow in the Cloud? I'm in the mood for terrible poo poo right now (and the trailer looked ridiculous) and I'm wondering if it's worth a rental.

It was written by Max Landis (a rapist) so try not to pay any money to watch it. Hulu has it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rewritten.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I was just watching the Cronenberg version The Fly and realized it's probably one of the movies
that defined my childhood. I know I watched it several times on TV growing up.

I think the big 3 of Saturday afternoons for me were definitely The Thing, The Fly, and Creepshow.

It's interesting to me that two out of three were also remakes.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

I was just watching the Cronenberg version The Fly and realized it's probably one of the movies
that defined my childhood. I know I watched it several times on TV growing up.

I think the big 3 of Saturday afternoons for me were definitely The Thing, The Fly, and Creepshow.

It's interesting to me that two out of three were also remakes.

The Fly and The Thing were staples for my childhood friends as well. instead of Creepshow we had Starship Troopers though for the good-times soft landing

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Fred Vogel was kind enough to send me a copy of I Am No One and I was waiting for my brother to get home from his trip so we can watch it together and we're popping it in tonight. Review to follow.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
I’ve been seeing the poster for this at the theater for the last few weeks and it piqued my interest, but I finally saw the trailer for it in front of the Conjuring today. Looks pretty sick

https://youtu.be/40ub6aBk4fo

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Benito Cereno posted:

I’ve been seeing the poster for this at the theater for the last few weeks and it piqued my interest, but I finally saw the trailer for it in front of the Conjuring today. Looks pretty sick

https://youtu.be/40ub6aBk4fo
That looks really good and I feel like Rebecca Hall lends herself to horror. I feel like it's going to end up being a really good year for horror.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

a new study bible! posted:

My wife agreed with the description. The whole thing looks like Lethal Weapon 6 from Sunny. There are also a bunch of Mac/Charlie/Dennis decisions. Hitting old tropes and clichés but playing them super straight and as if you were smart for doing so, having a stupid hot babe whose character should be like 50 years old, and a flashback that indicates itself by having the character wear a backwards baseball cap, because that's what young people wear.

Don’t forget the hilariously terrible facial hair in the flashbacks too

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Just saw the horror anthology Scare Us, and it was... basically all right. There are five segments including the framing story. Two segments are quite weak, just okay effects in search of plots. Another two segments, though, are really creative. There's a slasher segment with some clever set pieces in an interesting location and a trippy horror segment with some cool visuals, sharp editing, and a great gory ending. The last segment is also good, basically a very low budget version of Hereditary. If you're into cheap indie horror, this is fine.

Timeless Appeal posted:

That looks really good and I feel like Rebecca Hall lends herself to horror. I feel like it's going to end up being a really good year for horror.

I hope Antlers is released this year, that's the one I've been looking forward to since 2019.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Shadow in the Clouds had such a promising start and then poo poo the bed so hard.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

AKZ posted:

Shadow in the Clouds had such a promising start and then poo poo the bed so hard.

Not to belabor the point but that's all you can expect from Max Landis.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

pospysyl posted:

I hope Antlers is released this year, that's the one I've been looking forward to since 2019.

I saw a poster for it at my Regal when I saw The Conjuring today, it's out Halloween weekend

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Phantasm II is streaming on Peacock, which is the first time it's been available to stream (outside of renting or buying a digital version on Amazon.) Which means that I apparently guessed right and Universal really were hoarding the streaming rights all this time so they could make it exclusive to their digital service.

I mean, it is a solid movie.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Not to belabor the point but that's all you can expect from Max Landis.

Again, the movie was completely rewritten by Liang and Moretz from Landis's original script. I would actually be curious what ideas that ended up in the final movie were his, if any.

It's not a good movie but it's commitment to bring a fun midnight movie is kind of commendable. How do you not love a movie that has the stones to do that hatch explosion scene?

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

We were really digging it until it flipped to what felt like a knock off marvel movie. Skip the baby in a box and keep it a straightforward tense creature feature.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Last night I was flying low with a Walrus-sized load on when I made the decision to check out Deadbeat at Dawn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF40Q7NCaIE

Have you ever felt like a movie was tailor made just for you? A personal tale that reflects your immense soul? We're talking about a well written, worldview affirming piece of art. A heat-seeking missile that flies faster than the speed of sound towards the rare true thing?

DaD is all of those things and more. Potent substances had no chance in tethering my raw enjoyment, my buring glee at what I was bearing witness to. For an hour and change all the poo poo and failure melted away from Walrus for a moment I was a pair of eyes, a brain and a pleasant series of flickering images. Bliss.

Deadbeat at Dawn is a triumph of enthusiastic, amateur filmmaking. It knows what it is, revels in it, slaps hard and leaves you wanting more.

Nihilistic and post-modern, it is a heady thrill-kill of a film and a new staple in the Walrus Library.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 6, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

stop.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Stop and watch Deadbeat at Dawn!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Last night I was flying low with a Walrus-sized load

If you dropped this lame gimmick I think I'd actually enjoy your posts.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

What I love about Deadbeat at Dawn is that it’s set in a no-frills, ultra-gritty and grimy world where junkie street gangs brutalize each other in a very real urban hell-scape but they also use ninja stars, nunchucks, and everyone knows Kung Fu. It’s a great film.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

WeaponX posted:

What I love about Deadbeat at Dawn is that it’s set in a no-frills, ultra-gritty and grimy world where junkie street gangs brutalize each other in a very real urban hell-scape but they also use ninja stars, nunchucks, and everyone knows Kung Fu. It’s a great film.

This is also why Miami Connection rules. I remember laughing out loud when the club owner and the lovely band all started tae kwon do fighting in the middle of an argument.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Spatulater bro! posted:

If you dropped this lame gimmick I think I'd actually enjoy your posts.

Weren't they already told off and had to leave until they stopped a while back?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Yeah iirc it was a ban or permaban if they pulled their poo poo again, look at the rap sheet

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
How dark is Deadbeat by Dawn I'm thinking of watching it but if its a major downer I'mma skip it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

How dark is Deadbeat by Dawn I'm thinking of watching it but if its a major downer I'mma skip it.

Its dark but also has a nice layer of cheese. Its not a major downer but its GRIMY. If you struggle with sobriety definitely skip.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
There's some dark events that happen but it's weirdly exuberant as hell. It's kinda got Death Wish sequel vibes, with a lot of no-budget charm.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I decided to skip it then and just watch Space Truckers which I've never seen. Stuart Gordon pic so I'm sure its good.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

It’s hard to get down in the dumps watching Deadbeat when you spend most of it in awe of the insane guerrilla style filming. No permits, no safety, it’s kinda amazing nobody died in that last scene

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Deadbeat at Dawn rules

King Vidiot posted:

I mean if you say nothing else for Troma, both Troma fans and Troma haters can agree that Troma sucks :v:

Troma fan

Today I discovered 1) they have a streaming service and 2) a free month trial for it. Tempted tbh

EthanSteele posted:

Weren't they already told off and had to leave until they stopped a while back?

Correct, it's basically half their rapsheet including rampings

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Well Space Truckers was a weird as hell movie by Stuart Gordon, not sure what I was epecting. All I can say is that it cost 25 million dollars. What a bizarre film. Its probably Gordon's most costly film too.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Hollismason posted:

Well Space Truckers was a weird as hell movie by Stuart Gordon, not sure what I was epecting. All I can say is that it cost 25 million dollars. What a bizarre film. Its probably Gordon's most costly film too.

I remember it being completely terrible apart from a fantastic performance by Charles Dance (but who would expect anything else from the man?)

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Was looking at that Walrus person's rap sheet and there's a gif that maybe looks like Christopher Lambert exploding into blue goo? What movie is that?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Was looking at that Walrus person's rap sheet and there's a gif that maybe looks like Christopher Lambert exploding into blue goo? What movie is that?

Fortress

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Finally watched A Quiet Place 1. Good film, and then I thought to turn the subtitles on, at which it got even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

dorium posted:

Fortress

Aww poo poo and it's a Stuart Gordon movie? I probably need to check this out.