Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

There's so much going on here

https://twitter.com/RepMoBrooks/status/1401595174220861453

Keep looking until you see the really big mistake

And it's loving still up. Unbelievable.

https://twitter.com/GatorsDaily/status/1401584606802030594

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also if any one of us did something like that at our place of work we'd be fired or at least severely disciplined.

Mo Brooks on the other hand will probably just get a talking to if that

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

SKULL.GIF posted:

They simply aren't interested in doing so. That's the reality. The Democrats have had repeated opportunities to make inroads on red/purple states and repeatedly minimize these efforts in favor of running up the score in deep blue states (California 2016) or quixotic losing efforts (McGrath 2020). Wisconsin absolutely could be total blue by now if they had proper support and infrastructure from the national party, but the national party has repeatedly declined to provide support (Obama, 2011 protests, after “If American workers are being denied their right to organize and collectively bargain when I’m in the White House, I’ll put on a comfortable pair of shoes myself. I’ll walk on that picket line with you as President of the United States of America.”) (Clinton/Feingold, 2016 election). Now the state is perpetually kneecapped by a Republican legislature and a heavy gerrymander that's unlikely to be reversed on any timeframe that matters. I could go on and on about the fuckups I've seen from the party since I became politically aware in 2001, and other, older posters could go on and on about the fuckups -- both deliberate and accidental -- they've seen in decades prior to that.
This got probated this morning for being "nonconstructive" and "doomer". I strenuously disagree. Anyone's who's been paying attention should expect nothing from the Democrats. They have repeatedly demonstrated that they will provide nothing, and that they won't fight for even scraps for you and him and her and me. Expecting good things from the Democrats is how you become repeatedly disappointed, it's how you get caught off guard and hosed by the system.

Joe Biden said he'd forgive student debt. Surprise! Joe Biden isn't going to forgive student debt! Hope you weren't planning on that, or that your future hinged on whether Joe Biden would forgive student debt. It's not going to happen. Make realistic plans to get yourself out of whatever trouble you're in, knowing that the party in control is going to do jack poo poo to help you. If they somehow, miraculously, find their hearts ands spines, then, great! But otherwise, you're far better off looking out for yourself than allowing the cadre of liberals to sway you into putting your life onto the line and then allowing them to then scold and berate you for putting your life on the line.

Student debt, COVID relief, actual healthcare, minimum wage, even basic-rear end poo poo like ending the death camps and not supporting a fascistic ethnonationalist apartheid regime, you name it and you can find multiple recent examples of Democrats repeatedly backing down on each and every one of these issues. It doesn't make sense to put any emotional weight or plans for your own future that hinges on them doing the opposite of what they always do.

That was the point of my post, and I hope it's clear that it's not in any way a "doomer" worldview. It's the only way that we're going to realistically survive if we aren't blessed enough to have a cushy PMC job where what the clowns in Congress are doing are just a curiosity to amuse us and to argue over.

You're basically only supposed to make happy feelings and if you point out that dems are bad, even with evidence, you're making people sad. That's all that matters...

Posting about Dems not delivering on campaign promises is really more about you calling them out for it and there are infinite excuses for why they don't do a good job. Again, it's you that's bad for pointing that out (somehow). Just pretend everything is fine and you'll avoid probation. Also, mods won't clarify rules in thread and if you PM them they'll say things like "I just felt like it" and "because I can."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Sean fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 7, 2021

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How are u posted:

Looks like we need to keep the House and expand the Senate in 2022. I expect everybody to do their part.

We already did our part. The people that we elected aren't doing theirs. Don't blame this on voters for not voting hard enough.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Fister Roboto posted:

We already did our part. The people that we elected aren't doing theirs. Don't blame this on voters for not voting hard enough.

Activism is the work of a lifetime, there is no final victory. We are in this until the day we die.

You say you did your part in 2020, now lets do it again for 2022.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

How are u posted:

Activism is the work of a lifetime, there is no final victory. We are in this until the day we die.

I'll do my part because I'm white and not disenfranchised. Others won't be so lucky and will have their votes made obsolete because of racistly motivated voter suppression. Cool that Manchin is fine with that.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

The Sean posted:

I'll do my part because I'm white and not disenfranchised. Others won't be so lucky and will have their votes made obsolete because of racistly motivated voter suppression. Cool that Manchin is fine with that.

Do you think I'm defending Joe Manchin or justifying his heinous bullshit? The only way to be rid of Joe loving Manchin is to obsolete him by keeping the House and expanding the Senate.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

How are u posted:

Looks like we need to keep the House and expand the Senate in 2022. I expect everybody to do their part.

Do you honestly think the strategy of “oh golly gee, we know we didn’t do the things we campaigned on for the last 4 years, but trust us, if you vote more of us into office we will do those things this time! Pinky promise!” Is actually going to work?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

How are u posted:

why should i lift a single fuckin finger for a party that has not just stood idly by as life has gotten materially worse for most people, but in fact has actively participated in the policies that have led to those deteriorating conditions? why should i trust that actually, this time, things will be different, something i've heard for the past twenty loving years as my generation has had their futures torn from them by members of both parties in equal measure? why should i care about a party that takes climate change as 'seriously' as republicans do? why should any member of my generation vote for a party that has boldly proclaimed to us that it has no plans to deal with the student debt crisis that has crippled our ability to even remote accumulate even the tiniest bit of wealth? why should i care about a party whose approach to healthcare has only shifted me from not being able to get healthcare because of pre-existing conditions, to not being able to get healthcare because i just flat-out cannot afford it?

i did my part in 2020, i phonebanked like gently caress for sanders and donated what little i could afford to towards his campaign. in return, democrats pulled out all the stops to make goddamn sure he did not win, destroying the first time in my life i felt that maybe things would actually improve even a little, leaving us with a spinelesss segregationist piece of poo poo, directly responsible for many of the problems we face today, as president. why in the ever loving gently caress would i ever 'do my part' again for a party that has demonstrated, very clearly, that it does not give a single solitary gently caress about me, my generation, or my generation's children and in fact holds us in active contempt for daring to want better things?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

How are u posted:

Do you think I'm defending Joe Manchin or justifying his heinous bullshit? The only way to be rid of Joe loving Manchin is to obsolete him by keeping the House and expanding the Senate.

I think people are just getting exhausted by the rotating villains, sucks but I guess that's where we are, don't know how much longer it will last though. Republicans aren't exactly focused, but they seem to just want Donny back more than anything.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Theory: More and more, the results of the 2020 elections suggest Trump turned out low-propensity voters, the types most affected by these new voter rights restrictions. Yes these restrictions suck but they may be more likely to backfire against chuds than minorities.

https://twitter.com/EricLevitz/status/1400125935391739908

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Grouchio posted:

Theory: More and more, the results of the 2020 elections suggest Trump turned out low-propensity voters, the types most affected by these new voter rights restrictions. Yes these restrictions suck but they may be more likely to backfire against chuds than minorities.

https://twitter.com/EricLevitz/status/1400125935391739908

Hahaha now that would be some poetic justice. There is a nonzero chance this is actually going to be the case. I mean just look at how ol' Donnie's constant talk about how the election was rigged lead to a decidedly depressed turnout in key battleground states like GA in 2020. Republicans shooting themselves in the foot again in 2022/24 would be some great comedy.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Vorik posted:

Hahaha now that would be some poetic justice. There is a nonzero chance this is actually going to be the case. I mean just look at how ol' Donnie's constant talk about how the election was rigged lead to a decidedly depressed turnout in key battleground states like GA in 2020. Republicans shooting themselves in the foot again in 2022/24 would be some great comedy.

And he's still doing it. He literally went out during his little speech and said all elections are inherently rigged and corrupted. ALL. OF. THEM. Like the republicans can beg him to stop all they want but in his rotting rear end brain this is the narrative and he will never stop repeating it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How are u posted:

You know there's such a thing as toxic optimism, right? People worked their asses off to get the Dems a supermajority, and this is the result. Telling them "golly gee whiz, I guess you just need to work harder next time" is some real grade A bullshit.

How are u posted:

You're defending the people who are enabling him.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 7, 2021

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

How are u posted:

This isn't a very good strategy for anything other than burning people out. There needs to be more realizable and actionable goals than "try again later"

It's really hard to keep people engaged.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

You know there's such a thing as toxic optimism, right? People worked their asses off to get the Dems a supermajority, and this is the result. Telling them "golly gee whiz, I guess you just need to work harder next time" is some real grade A bullshit.

It's the reality, also a 50/50 isn't a supermajority it's barely a majority and the reason Manchin has the power he does.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
At no point is it ever good for a Republican to get elected to anything, while Democrats getting elected is okay sometimes. So we should keep working to get Democrats elected, because it is the only viable way to keep Republicans from getting elected. This poo poo really isn’t complicated, come on guys.

I don’t care how mad you are about it, it’s not going to change it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mellow Seas posted:

At no point is it ever good for a Republican to get elected to anything, while Democrats getting elected is okay sometimes. So we should keep working to get Democrats elected, because it is the only viable way to keep Republicans from getting elected. This poo poo really isn’t complicated, come on guys.

That's a really inspiring message, that's definitely going to motivate people.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Mellow Seas posted:

Every word of this is objectively true, but also it is fatally flawed as a long-term political engagement strategy. No matter how hideous the alternative is, you need to build actual enthusiasm to turn out the vote. Negative campaigning has been proven time and time again to be a short-term tactic that corrodes at support long term. The Democrats need to actually provably stand for something that is good for a lot of Americans--- and deliver on it when they have the opportunity if they want to succeed in 2022 and beyond.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mellow Seas posted:

How about the Dems do things to make people want to vote for them? Maybe that’s a better strategy than “sorry guys, better luck next time!”

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

DoomTrainPhD posted:

How about the Dems do things to make people want to vote for them? Maybe that’s a better strategy than “sorry guys, better luck next time!”

They passed covid relief and life is actually getting back to normal. That's something to run on.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So if every Dem is useless if they can't mind control Manchin what should we do instead that will help everyone more?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Flopsy posted:

They passed covid relief and life is actually getting back to normal. That's something to run on.

This isn't exactly a good thing when "normal" is still a nightmarish hellscape of debt and slave wages

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

socialsecurity posted:

So if every Dem is useless if they can't mind control Manchin what should we do instead that will help everyone more?
Ignore the Senate Parliamentarian and do multiple reconciliation bills. Sell Manchin and Sinema on the talking filibuster, which both have been more open to. Be way more aggressive in the use of executive actions.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Flopsy posted:

Millions of people are about to get evicted this summer bc of byzantine state/NGO rules to access relief money. Millions of children have been Left Behind due to losing 1.5 years of school & socialization. Millions of people have lost jobs that are never comine back.

Worst of all, the working poor without children will see no relief, bc the Dems decided they had more important things to do this year than provide a living wage to the people who'd served as their literal whipping boys throughout the pandemic, delivering their meals & groceries & packages, and instead chose to means-test relief by parental status, when some of the neediest among us can't even afford to have children.

We haven't even begun to see the rebound effects of the pandemic.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Biden gave me more money than Trump was going to, so I'm glad he won. That's how I feel, if you want me to feel differently pay me.

Also, The Dems are just a group of people elected by other groups of people not some hivemind that conspires to personally ruin your life. They get elected because people vote for them, if you want to get different people elected you have to find a person with values you support who's running for office and vote for them and also convince a majority of the other people in your area to vote for them as well.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/drvolts/status/1401756706036600835?s=21

I am shocked, shocked I tell you! The orange man has not changed his tune.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

Millions of people are about to get evicted this summer bc of byzantine state/NGO rules to access relief money. Millions of children have been Left Behind due to losing 1.5 years of school & socialization. Millions of people have lost jobs that are never comine back.

Worst of all, the working poor without children will see no relief, bc the Dems decided they had more important things to do this year than provide a living wage to the people who'd served as their literal whipping boys throughout the pandemic, delivering their meals & groceries & packages, and instead chose to means-test relief by parental status, when some of the neediest among us can't even afford to have children.

We haven't even begun to see the rebound effects of the pandemic.

Corporations spent the entire pandemic on an unprecedented looting spree, and they are hungry for more.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Biden gave me more money than Trump was going to, so I'm glad he won. That's how I feel, if you want me to feel differently pay me.

Also, The Dems are just a group of people elected by other groups of people not some hivemind that conspires to personally ruin your life. They get elected because people vote for them, if you want to get different people elected you have to find a person with values you support who's running for office and vote for them and also convince a majority of the other people in your area to vote for them as well.

You don't need to be a hivemind to be largely ineffective and corrupt

e: And yes, it's very simple to get someone elected. Merely find someone with values you support, and spend millions on an all-out media blitz to trick people into voting for them. Politics is so easy.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 7, 2021

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mellow Seas posted:

this is the kind of messaging the democrats ran on for the entire 2010s, maybe that should be a sign that it's not a good strategy!

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What the hell did I ever say about “messaging”? We’re not writing ad copy, we’re discussing politics.

I’m not putting forth “at least they’re not Republicans” as an alternative to “Democrats will pass these programs to help you”, as public facing messaging. I’m suggesting it as an alternative to “Dems suck and why should I care if they get elected”, as a paradigm for us to discuss politics, as people who ostensibly both care about politics and recognize that it sucks.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Yinlock posted:

You don't need to be a hivemind to be largely ineffective and corrupt

e: And yes, it's very simple to get someone else elected. Merely find someone with values you support, and spend millions on an all-out media blitz to trick people into voting for them. Politics is so easy.

Of the ineffective groups that were running they were the one that was willing to give me more money than the other one.

And no, it's not simple, it's hard and expensive. Also, you can spend a lot of of money and put a lot of effort in and still fail. But that's the only way it happens, and it's really frustrating and that's why most people aren't politically engaged.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mellow Seas posted:

What the hell did I ever say about “messaging”? We’re not writing ad copy, we’re discussing politics.

I’m not putting forth “at least they’re not Republicans” as an alternative to “Democrats will pass these programs to help you”, as public facing messaging. I’m suggesting it as an alternative to “Dems suck and why should I care if they get elected”, as a paradigm for us to discuss politics, as people who ostensibly both care about politics and recognize that it sucks.

It's fairly useless as a paradigm for discussing politics as well, because it lets you excuse basically anything under the banner of "at least they're not republicans"

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mellow Seas posted:

but it's not a persuasive argument to get me to vote when the choices are 'vote for someone who will make things shittier' and 'vote for someone who will make things shittier, but maybe a teeny tiny bit slower and with flowery messaging'. if biden is on the ticket again in 2024, i'm leaving that spot blank unless his administration does a massive 180 on student debt, healthcare and police reform, and for some strange reason i'm not holding my breath for any of that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's a really inspiring message, that's definitely going to motivate people.

:eng101:: Here is the bare minimum thing that you can do to keep Evil from winning and ruining your life and the lives of everyone you care about. It's not perfect, but it keeps Evil from winning.

:geno:: Yeah, but it just doesn't inspire me.

[EVIL WINS]

:geno:: Wait? How did Evil win?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

:eng101:: Here is the bare minimum thing that you can do to keep Evil from winning and ruining your life and the lives of everyone you care about. It's not perfect, but it keeps Evil from winning.

Correct. That is awful messaging and hasn’t worked for 40 years.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

nine-gear crow posted:

[EVIL WINS]

this could potentially be a more compelling argument if things didn't keep getting worse under obama, but alas

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yinlock posted:

It's fairly useless as a paradigm for discussing politics as well, because it lets you excuse basically anything under the banner of "at least they're not republicans"

It’s not “excusing” anything, this is some bullshit you guys dreamed up. I’ve actually expressed extreme rage at Democrats in this very thread, today. But I don’t care how much Democrats gently caress up, nothing good can come of them losing. Because Republicans.

It’s just an actual, objective fact: elections in America are won by Democrats or Republicans. If you don’t have any ideas as to how to change that (spoiler: you absolutely don’t), then we should talk about two things: how to make Democrats better, and how to make them beat Republicans.

If you don’t want to talk about those things, and would rather talk about how everybody but you is stupid for for thinking that the difference between Republicans and Democrats matters, then you’re not really talking about politics, you’re just venting and self-aggrandizing. And it’s tiresome.

Now go quote me in your weird thread.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

[EVIL WINS]

People's lives are still being ruined though. Evil is still winning.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mellow Seas posted:

It’s not “excusing” anything, this is some bullshit you guys dreamed up. I’ve actually expressed extreme rage at Democrats in this very thread, today. But I don’t care how much Democrats gently caress up, nothing good can come of them losing. Because Republicans.

It’s just an actual, objective fact: elections in America are won by Democrats or Republicans. If you don’t have any ideas as to how to change that (spoiler: you absolutely don’t), then we should talk about two things: how to make Democrats better, and how to make them beat Republicans.

If you don’t want to talk about those things, and would rather talk about how everybody but you is stupid for for thinking that the difference between Republicans and Democrats matters, then you’re not really talking about politics, you’re just venting and self-aggrandizing. And it’s tiresome.

Now go quote me in your weird thread.

It is literally excusing things. You just used it as an excuse in this very post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yinlock posted:

It is literally excusing things. You just used it as an excuse in this very post.

What do you suggest if elections aren't working and if there is no point in electing someone unless they are perfect?