Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Nope, the speech bubble will always be there. If you don't want to write anything you could always just put a bunch of ♪ ♫ symbols or something similar using the Symbols keyboard.

Also handy, I made a sticker (with the DLC palamute being dragged along with a big "X" in the background) in English and Japanese that says "Capture/捕捉: X" to try to get the point across. If you want to try to match it up you can use the Japanese romaji input to type out "hosoku" and match the kanji that pops up.

what's the significance of "X" here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Man, you no longer get all the "!"s on every single person when you finish the HR100 Sapphire Star quest. That's kind of sad, but so is beating up the trio with a Raging Brachy weapon.

That was a cool quest to finish the first time on PS4. Also on PC for that matter, good memories of my first MonHun game and run.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Achmed Jones posted:

A variable presumably

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
X means don't or no or whatever negative answer you want

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Achmed Jones posted:

Capture/捕捉: ✕

vs.

Capture/捕捉: ○

Japanese folks tend to use ✕ and ○ for negative/positive. These emojis, for example: 🙅🙆

The equivalent for U.S. folks would be ✕ and ✓ for example.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 6, 2021

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Raging Brachy is so insanely fun. By far the best individual fight in all the MonHun I’ve played.

I fought AT Velkana for the first time before getting to Safi, Alatreon, or Fatalis. With the weapons and armor available it was really white-knuckle and challenging. I think that was my favorite.

I just want to say, in Rise, I've been fighting Izuchis for the past 2 days and still don't have a small crown. I want those awards dammit. At least I'll get 1000 monsters award and all the guild card titles from killing monsters 50x each no problem...

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

wrt monsters in World being absolutely psycho - Barioth was the reason I stopped playing Iceborne. Guy just would not hold still and the fight was taking a million years because I guess I needed a new weapon and having to chase him around forever and I was just like gently caress this sucks. Then go to Rise and I just beat his rear end every time and it feels like a completely different monster

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I grew to like Barioth after getting bullied by GU's version quite a bit at first because it's one of the more detailed monsters in terms of being impaired by broken parts. Damage to those front limbs really fucks up its mobility and the fight goes from "stop jumping around, you absolute fucker" to "please jump some more and give me long openings."

The first one you meet in Iceborne is special for sure, it's much faster than any mon you see before then with far less openings until it tires or parts break. That first Iceborne encounter with SnS is still pretty memorable to me, I basically waited it out by chipping away at the front limbs until it couldn't be so mobile any more.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Captain Lavender posted:

I fought AT Velkana for the first time before getting to Safi, Alatreon, or Fatalis. With the weapons and armor available it was really white-knuckle and challenging. I think that was my favorite.

I just want to say, in Rise, I've been fighting Izuchis for the past 2 days and still don't have a small crown. I want those awards dammit. At least I'll get 1000 monsters award and all the guild card titles from killing monsters 50x each no problem...

Took 58 Izuchi. Is it taking y'all that many to get these crowns? Wish there was something more reliable, like expedition hunts, but doesn't seem like it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Crown hunting is always a grindy hell so enjoy. It could take you 3 mons or 300. eventually you get better at eyeballing the monster size and just quitting out when you know it's not worth your time and rolling the dice again.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

In Training posted:

Crown hunting is always a grindy hell so enjoy. It could take you 3 mons or 300. eventually you get better at eyeballing the monster size and just quitting out when you know it's not worth your time and rolling the dice again.

Yeah, don't know why I feel like doing it now, I couldn't be bothered in World. It's actually been a good opportunity to grind on weapons I don't use much and really figure out their flow, so it's not all bad. Eyeballing the size of these small monsters isn't easy - but yeah, I'd think the bigger ones, I could do that.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Capture/捕捉: ✕

vs.

Capture/捕捉: ○

Japanese folks tend to use ✕ and ○ for negative/positive. These emojis, for example: 🙅🙆

The equivalent for U.S. folks would be ✕ and ✓ for example.

I went to a cat cafe in Japan which was surreal but I remember them explaining the cats and there was a biiiig grumpy white one and the lady was like "All cats! Can pet. Except MILKY. 🙅🙅🙅 MILKY NO PETS"

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
I'm using charge blade in world. am I vaguely correct in assuming that I want to power up the shield with five phials, power up the sword (phials don't make a difference here) and then go for the full super elemental nuke?

and that I need to play world much more slowly and carefully than rise? that's definitely what it feels like so far. though that could also be because I've never played charge blade before.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Foul Fowl posted:

I'm using charge blade in world. am I vaguely correct in assuming that I want to power up the shield with five phials, power up the sword (phials don't make a difference here) and then go for the full super elemental nuke?

and that I need to play world much more slowly and carefully than rise? that's definitely what it feels like so far. though that could also be because I've never played charge blade before.

In base world yeah. Well charging up the sword is optional. For impact phials, get 3 levels of artillery for more phial damage and capacity boost for the extra phial. Some levels in guard helps as well, depending on the monster. Focus is generally good for charging up phials faster. Eat for felyne bombardier for an extra bit of phial damage as well.

If you have Iceborne then you have access to savage axe mode. Which is really good for elemental CBs and changes the way you play it.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i just beat zorah magdaros so i can't make anything worth a poo poo yet, I'll keep it in mind for when I can though. also only got base world - does iceborne give you different moves even in the base game?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The shield stores up to 300 seconds of charge, so you can charge it up a couple times in a row - each phial is 30 secs.

I think Savage Axe is DLC only but am not sure. If you're liking the feel of World, Iceborne is a very good buy.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Foul Fowl posted:

i just beat zorah magdaros so i can't make anything worth a poo poo yet, I'll keep it in mind for when I can though. also only got base world - does iceborne give you different moves even in the base game?

Yes, if you buy Iceborne you get access to the clutch claw and all related moves even in the base game. Makes some of the weapons for more interesting and/or usable.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Do Guiding Lands mons have new moves or sped up moves? I'm finding it hard to motivate getting into a new set of maps and systems right now, especially if it's the exact same mons I ran in MR with no additional challenge.

Just noticed the GL sub species are all available as events, including Yian Garuga/Scarred.

From what I read, GL mats are only for augments, all gear is crafted from non-GL mats. Cool design.

So if I skipped GL, I'd be the weak non-augmented hunter in the end game. Which is noticeable most especially for health augments - having to break off to chug healing is a lot of downtime.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

the X/O for No/Yes is the source of the JP/NA playstation controller war

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Finally beat all the arena quests with all the weapons for rise and met my goal of getting A rank for each one. Despite playing almost no insect glaive it was one of the easiest weapons to get a fast time with. Especially against volvidon since you can just bug zap him every time he rolls without really needing to time anything well.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Feeling the urge to come back to World and get into Iceborne, but I want to try a different weapon - what's the best way to go about that? Obviously jumping into where I last left off without ever using the weapon before is just gonna be miserable, but just crafting endgame gear and going back to blow through the early game with no effort isn't going to be a good learning experience either.

Do I just craft crappy gear and play some of the early game to get the hang of things, or is there a better way?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Honeslty I'm of the mind that crashing in MR ultimately be better to learn new weapons / start Iceborne becasue even if hunts take longer while you get the hang of things you're bringing in MR materials will be good through all of IB.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Feeling the urge to come back to World and get into Iceborne, but I want to try a different weapon - what's the best way to go about that? Obviously jumping into where I last left off without ever using the weapon before is just gonna be miserable, but just crafting endgame gear and going back to blow through the early game with no effort isn't going to be a good learning experience either.

Do I just craft crappy gear and play some of the early game to get the hang of things, or is there a better way?

I guess if you start the game and make some defender weapons, you know they're good; so if your hunts stink with them, you'll know you're probably not playing them right. I know for me, I have a hard time knowing if I'm playing a weapon wrong, or I'm just not using a good one when I try to learn something new. Defender could take away a variable for you

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
I bought rise! First time monster hunter. I was cruising right along, having a fun time getting used to the wire bug and learning what’s available in the village, and then I tried my first hub quest solo... I chased the monster around the map 3 times with the gun lance and ended up dying each time and failing the mission. Am I really really bad or are the hub quests supposed to just be that much more difficult?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The low rank Hub has the exact same monsters as Village, Village just puts on a modifier that like halves their health compared to solo Hub quests (monster health scales based on number of players in a hunt), so you might just be taking more attrition than you were used to with the fight lasting longer in the same gear. They don't do more damage per hit as far as I know, though.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

hobbez posted:

I bought rise! First time monster hunter. I was cruising right along, having a fun time getting used to the wire bug and learning what’s available in the village, and then I tried my first hub quest solo... I chased the monster around the map 3 times with the gun lance and ended up dying each time and failing the mission. Am I really really bad or are the hub quests supposed to just be that much more difficult?

When you said "learning what's available in the village" you didn't exhaust all the quests and skip to High Rank Hub, right?

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

DoctorWhat posted:

When you said "learning what's available in the village" you didn't exhaust all the quests and skip to High Rank Hub, right?

Nah I just did the one star ones and then bumped over to the hub to do the one star ones over there

I am thinking it’s possible I was fighting the wrong monster? Like a harder one I’m not meant to fight? Or just bad. I’m gonna give it a go with the long sword next time. Will report back

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

hobbez posted:

Nah I just did the one star ones and then bumped over to the hub to do the one star ones over there

I am thinking it’s possible I was fighting the wrong monster? Like a harder one I’m not meant to fight? Or just bad. I’m gonna give it a go with the long sword next time. Will report back

1 star village is much easier than 1 star hub, it’s possible you’re just still learning.

Also 1 star hub has a LOT more HP so you might be doing ok just not used to how long the hunt is meant to take.

But to answer your question technically you can go into 1 star hub with the first weapons you start with in the game so it’s probably not a gear issue

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Hub mons are scaled up for multiplayer, they have more HP to compensate for 4 hunters wailing on them.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I think the one star village quests don’t contain any large monsters while the hub quests do, and large monsters are the game’s very first hurdle to be overcome. Just keep at it

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

And Tyler Too! posted:

Hub mons are scaled up for multiplayer, they have more HP to compensate for 4 hunters wailing on them.

Yes, Hub mons have more HP BUT they also scale the HP (and other thresholds like status procs, but importantly not the damage the monster does) for 1, 2, 3, and 4 players in Rise, so soloing a Hub mon means way less of an HP bump than the massive HP bump from going at it with 4 hunters.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

hypnophant posted:

I think the one star village quests don’t contain any large monsters while the hub quests do, and large monsters are the game’s very first hurdle to be overcome. Just keep at it

They also list aknosom as the first quest in the hub which is silly because its the hardest of the quests available imo.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

to be clear, hp values in the hub are normal for that monster. village hp amounts are way lower than the normal. the hub isn't 'scaled for multiplayer', it's literally just the normal game while most of the village quests are an extended tutorial.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

After three straight failed join requests against Valstrax, I finally had a surprisingly smooth run with two other gunlance users (and a longsword user).

Funlance superiority

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

404notfound posted:

After three straight failed join requests against Valstrax, I finally had a surprisingly smooth run with two other gunlance users (and a longsword user).

Funlance superiority

Almost every single gunlance I run into ranges from competent to extremely competent. Hell, most LS users are fine with easy to slot and heavily advertised Flinch decos.

I feel like I see more LBG users bite it than anything. I feel like the gun provides a sense of safety and security that is easily overridden by finding themselves not paying attention and suddenly in a precarious position.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Can someone confirm for me that Almudron drops the plate at Low Rank?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Can someone confirm for me that Almudron drops the plate at Low Rank?

Yes, both anecdotally and from the wiki. I think it's something like 1/2 the chance of HR though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

plates are always available from a monster, if it has one at all. it's the gems/orbs/whatever that are generally restricted to high rank.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Saxophone posted:

I feel like I see more LBG users bite it than anything. I feel like the gun provides a sense of safety and security that is easily overridden by finding themselves not paying attention and suddenly in a precarious position.

This is 100% me. Seems like every match I'll eat a hit because I keep forgetting that fanning manoeuvre isn't instantaneous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Maybe I've been lucky but I've had hardly any failed quests in Rise with pubs. Not sure if people are just better or it's easier or what. Like I can only think of 3-4 times I failed a quest at all in a group. Once on Allmother, once on the Valstrax/Rakna quest and then one on the Diablos/Magnamalo/Rath quest in the coral place. I was actually sorta surprised I had an extremely clean run of the 3 Apex quest you get after doing everything.

Now I have full sets for like 4 weapons and think it's time to tap out till more content drops/g rank?

I remember failing quests a lot more in World and Gen and 4U, even discounting stuff like extremoth/ancient leshen/fatalis which seemed design to chew through groups.