Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

low key sex master posted:

Honestly you can always say "I'm going to the membership counter" and then head off to the food court because they're usually near each other

I've done it before even though I'm a member

but become one of us

become free

become a Costcoer

My local Costco has started asking for a membership card at the counter, but that may just be because it has an outdoor food court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!

Weembles posted:

My local Costco has started asking for a membership card at the counter, but that may just be because it has an outdoor food court.

That's insane to me. Our Costco has an outdoor food court too but they don't ask (yet). Or maybe they assume I have a membership and only ask people who don't look the part? I hate to say it like that, but here's my reasoning:

We also have a huge homeless population that is housed near a river close to this Costco. So a lot of them will come up and buy like 20 hot dogs for their buddies and bring them back to their camps.

New Question: Has Costco ever sold A-Shirt undershirts? I hate crew neck undershirts but it's all they sell.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

poisonpill posted:

Good info, thank you. I don't want a window unit because it won't fit these weird garage windows, but I will get a dual pipe one. Thanks. Any brands to avoid? Just get the one from Costco?

i have one from costco from a few years ago and it's barely adequate. if it's the only thing that fits in the place you don't have a lot of choices but it's loud and only kinda cold. if you just need something to blast you with chilled air while you workout it will probably be fine. it was good enough to cool my old bedroom down to sleeping temps at least

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://twitter.com/papapishu/status/1401978778579091460

:hmmyes:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

:agreed:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Get the 3 pack.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Any 505 chile fans? Favorite uses?

Thinking about a jar!

Possible uses:
  • Over-rice.
  • Mixed veggies.
  • Soups. (zooop)
  • Bean chilis

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
Green chile chicken enchiladas are great with 505 and really easy to make in the oven. Also try putting it in quesadillas with left over rotisserie chicken pieces, cheese, and black beans on a frying pan.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Geodude posted:

That's insane to me. Our Costco has an outdoor food court too but they don't ask (yet). Or maybe they assume I have a membership and only ask people who don't look the part? I hate to say it like that, but here's my reasoning:

We also have a huge homeless population that is housed near a river close to this Costco. So a lot of them will come up and buy like 20 hot dogs for their buddies and bring them back to their camps.

New Question: Has Costco ever sold A-Shirt undershirts? I hate crew neck undershirts but it's all they sell.

Re:undershirts, I look every time but they simply don’t seem to exist. I love 32degree products, I just don’t understand it! The closest option seems to be sports bras for moms and that ain’t it kid.

Re: unhoused people using the food court, it’s a real bummer that your church has made it inaccessible for them. It would actually be really awesome if someone got, like, an executive account for a stable member of the camp or put a generic-looking camp resident on the 2nd card so they could use it. It might be better in the long term to buy an account for an appropriate charity, but honestly access to communion whenever needed would be a huge mood booster for the population I bet.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

low key sex master posted:

Honestly you can always say "I'm going to the membership counter" and then head off to the food court because they're usually near each other

I've done it before even though I'm a member

but become one of us

become free

become a Costcoer

oh im a member no worries cant afford not to be lol can you imagine

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Fridge section ramen is ok.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

hi thread I’m pretty new to costco but their multipacks of 90 second microwave garlic brown rice and quinoa are really clutch when I almost forget to make dinner

what’s the best liquor to buy there? I still haven’t made it to their booze section.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BadSamaritan posted:

what’s the best liquor to buy there? I still haven’t made it to their booze section.

I took a look at scotch/whiskeys a couple weeks ago. I ended up getting an Oban for 60 bucks which is a good price. They also had a yamazaki 12 for 100. Looks like booze prices at costco are usually really good.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

BadSamaritan posted:

hi thread I’m pretty new to costco but their multipacks of 90 second microwave garlic brown rice and quinoa are really clutch when I almost forget to make dinner

Best liquor depends on what metric you’re looking for. Their selection appears to be fairly regional. The Kirkland branded stuff is usually pretty good for the price, with some exceptions like the gin that was recently recalled due to being godawful after they switched suppliers. I would just see what your location has and do some quick research (I look up nearly everything I buy from that section).

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Re:undershirts, I look every time but they simply don’t seem to exist. I love 32degree products, I just don’t understand it! The closest option seems to be sports bras for moms and that ain’t it kid.

If 32 degrees made a V-neck undershirt I'd die a happy man. I wear dress shirts to work but no tie so the topmost button is always undone and I hate the undershirt showing

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

jisforjosh posted:

If 32 degrees made a V-neck undershirt I'd die a happy man. I wear dress shirts to work but no tie so the topmost button is always undone and I hate the undershirt showing

It's not a V-neck, but 32 degrees has a new mesh undershirt that's very nice. My Costco sells them in 4 packs, I think the ones they used to have were only 3 packs.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Accretionist posted:

Thinking about a jar!

Possible uses:
  • Over-rice.
  • Mixed veggies.
  • Soups. (zooop)
  • Bean chilis

As someone who grew up in the 505: Get the jar. Use the jar. Love the jar (not in that way).

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Jingleheimer posted:

It's not a V-neck, but 32 degrees has a new mesh undershirt that's very nice. My Costco sells them in 4 packs, I think the ones they used to have were only 3 packs.

I just picked these up and they are fantastic. Feel so breathable and lightweight.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Hey Costco thread! We got our house offer accepted! Besides a garage freezer what should I be looking for at Costco home-level? I’m handy enough to fix most minor things (absolutely not electrical, plumbing, fungus or termites), so do they have DeWalt or better tool sets on sale at certain times?

What should I be looking for? We already have our kitchen stuff (cast irons, other pans, tableware, knives, etc) and I’m buying a 15K BTU stove day 1, so that’s taken care of, and the house comes with a washer/dryer and that kind of stuff until they break.

I’m already buying my pants and puns in bulk at Costco, so what else should I look for for the suburban environment?

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 8, 2021

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

The North Tower posted:

Hey Costco thread! We got our house offer accepted! Besides a garage freezer what should I be looking for at Costco home-level? I’m handy enough to fix most minor things (absolutely not electrical, plumbing, fungus or termites), so do they have DeWalt or better tool sets on sale at certain times?

What should I be looking for? We already have our kitchen stuff (cast irons, other pans, tableware, knives, etc) and I’m buying a 15K BTU stove day 1, so that’s taken care of, and the house comes with a washer/dryer and that kind of stuff until they break.

I’m already buying my pants and puns in bulk at Costco, so what else should I look for for the suburban environment?

All the meat and frozen food you can fit in your chest freezer.

Maybe another chest freezer and a couple of beer fridges.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The North Tower posted:

Hey Costco thread! We got our house offer accepted!

Congratulations!

I was gonna make this post with no suggestions, but I would say get whatever good super blender is available. Every time I use my ninja blender for soups, marinades, sauces, etc it ends up being fantastic.

Edit: Oh, yeah and I guess you can make drinks with that sort of thing. My one-track mind is towards food purposes.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Fartington Butts posted:

Congratulations!

I was gonna make this post with no suggestions, but I would say get whatever good super blender is available. Every time I use my ninja blender for soups, marinades, sauces, etc it ends up being fantastic.

Edit: Oh, yeah and I guess you can make drinks with that sort of thing. My one-track mind is towards food purposes.

Thanks!
Definitely getting a chest freezer (for the above comment from El Jebus—thanks, forgot what they were called but that’s what I meant by garage freezer. Sorry for the confusion. We make a lot of stock (8L instantpot so this will help us build up a store of various types of stocks)). And we got a Vitamix when it was on sale...at Costco. :agesilaus: (changed everything, mostly due to the avoidance of the 3 stooges effect of a couple of strawberries getting caught together above the blades...folks, put your bananas in first for a good smoothie)

Would really like to know if I can get buy-it-for-life level tools at the co if they carry them, even if it’s only once a year. House is basically turnkey so I can wait for a good deal on almost anything. Do they do appliance deals near Black Friday? Everything seems to be in okay shape, but I want to start waiting for sales since I have storage room for the first time in my life (such as toilet paper, soap, paper towels, etc), including appliances if I expect something to crap out within a year. Can have a washer in waiting for $200 off.

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 8, 2021

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

The North Tower posted:

An instant pot or knockoff is really handy if you don't have one already. If you get the name brand you can get rid of the slow cooker if you have one. Kitchenaid mixers are cheaper at Costco.

I know you said nothing electrical, but led lighting for your garage is awesome if you've got an older, dim garage. You can mount them and get an electrician to look your install over and make the final connection.

Get some garage shelving from Costco so you can nab stuff like kleenex/tp/paper towels/laundry detergent/etc when they're on sale. It's like a chest freezer for sundries: when you have storage space you can buy stuff when it's on sale instead of waiting until you run out to buy more. If your yearly supply of garbage bags has 2 months left and they go on sale why not resupply if you've got the space?

Get a fire extinguisher large enough to match your new range! Get a pack or two of smoke/carbon monoxide detectors if your new place is more than 10 years old or don't have an install date sticker. They're only good for ~10 years. Modern units have a 10 year battery so you don't have to swap 9v batteries every 6 months when you reset your clocks for daylight savings. 1 detector inside each bedroom door, 1 in a kitchen'ish area, minimum.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Accretionist posted:

Thinking about a jar!

Possible uses:
  • Over-rice.
  • Mixed veggies.
  • Soups. (zooop)
  • Bean chilis

I saw the 505 at my Costco but it was asterisk'd and I bought like 4 large jars (like 3 months ago) and Costco doesn't have more and I'm out of green chili. I was going to order more from the 505 website but shipping was equal to the cost of the product

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I saw the 505 at my Costco but it was asterisk'd and I bought like 4 large jars (like 3 months ago) and Costco doesn't have more and I'm out of green chili. I was going to order more from the 505 website but shipping was equal to the cost of the product

If you're ever looking for some intestinal distress Smoking J's sells a 1lb just of pepper mash with minimal vinegar to make it legal to sell.

https://smokingjsfieryfoods.com/product-category/pepper-mash/

They sell jars that are nearly **mild** enough to be on the level of the 505 stuff.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

The North Tower posted:

Thanks!
Definitely getting a chest freezer

vacuum sealer extremely extends the life of frozen meats that you buy in bulk at a good price from costco.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The North Tower posted:

They don't really have any power tools but they have a basic mechanic's tool set from DeWalt usually that's good quality and around $100 for everything you would need. For power tools just head to Home Depot and buy the basic Ryobi tool kit that comes with what you need for about $200-$400.

Costco generally doesn't sell junk so if you see a new toaster or set of pans or whatever that you need for the new house, you can be reasonable assured that it will be of high qualtiy and have the features you need.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

Costco generally doesn't sell junk so if you see a new toaster or set of pans or whatever that you need for the new house, you can be reasonable assured that it will be of high qualtiy and have the features you need.

I've bought some junk from them before, but their generous return policy means that's not a big deal. That's part of the magic of Costco, if something sucks, they are cool with you returning it. Most of the time though, everything is high quality and cheaper than I would be able to get anywhere else

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

DamnitGannet posted:

wife had a root canal today so i went to costco for lunch while i waited. i often wonder if its odd to go to costco for just the food court but i saw other people doing the same thing so i guess it's not that odd after all. PBUC

There's a Costco nearby that's in a business park so it's super common to see people with badges eating there. I'm guessing it's a cheaper and nicer cafeteria than some buildings have, and probably

BadSamaritan posted:

I find that the Costco Grey Goose (tall, squarish bottle with red coloring in base) is much better than the Costco Smirnoff (big, round, frosted bottle).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Slack Lagoon posted:

505 is being phased out?! I knew this dark day was coming. Hopefully mine has some left when I go next week :pray:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

david_a posted:

505 is being phased out?! I knew this dark day was coming. Hopefully mine has some left when I go next week :pray:

It's probably a regional thing. My Costco gets pallets of stuff all the time that's a one off to see if it will sell well. Unfortunately in Massachusetts nobody wants g*ds best condiment roasted green chili's

I lived in New Mexico for awhile but buying a 2oz can of hatch at the supermarket for $1.50 isn't financially sustainable. It would be the candles tweet but green chili

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

AmbientParadox posted:

There's a Costco nearby that's in a business park so it's super common to see people with badges eating there. I'm guessing it's a cheaper and nicer cafeteria than some buildings have, and probably

Yeah I've regularly gone to Costco just to get dogs and pizza with co-workers. Now I work from home so every lunch is a Costco lunch.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah I've regularly gone to Costco just to get dogs and pizza with co-workers. Now I work from home so every lunch is a Costco lunch.

:hmmyes:

the one by my parents' place used to have the polish dogs and I miss them terribly tbh

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My wife is mad at me and out of town for work so I am going to secretly punish her by eating this without letting her have any

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

has anyone had these I don't remember seeing them before

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Gatts posted:

I have 2 freezers, 1 standing and 1 open top, and 5 fridges at home with top freezers. I'm looking to replace one with the latest fridge from LG or GE Cafe.

get rid of the chest freezer

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i keep my freezers inside a walk in freezer in my house, to reduce wear and tear. and it keeps my relatives ice cold.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

bird with big dick posted:

has anyone had these I don't remember seeing them before

I found them a little bland but if you put some hot sauce on they're really nice. Sometimes the eggplant in the green curry is weird, but that's eggplant.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

david_a posted:

Still safe here at my store /whew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Trader Joe's hatch valley salsa is nearly the same if you have a TJ's nearby

EDIT: you can get the 505 from amazon (1 bottle) for $13, free shipping
https://www.amazon.com/Hatch-Valley...la-815164044864

Whooping Crabs fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 8, 2021