Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Yeah, if you paragon at Ashley she reconsiders her racism and has a redemption arc.

Same deal with Kaidan, if you renegade at him a bunch you can make him racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Kaiden has a great voice it’s like a mix of Keanu Reeves and Milhouse

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm playing on console, the last refuge of the scoundrel

I wonder if you still start with a bunch of resources? Back in the day in ME2 I remember selling off extra, unneeded eezo to make ends meet

You fool you played the forbidden game! (only Mass Effect Andromeda lets you do this)

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
The original ME3 endings were so muddled that common consensus at the time was that they probably showed that the mass relays supernova-d the majority of populated systems, and that the Normandy crew were stuck forever on that planet they crash-landed on, descending into a primitive society based around legends of the Shepherd (and that if Garrus and Tali made it to the end, they must eventually have starved to death while their friends and shipmates looked on helplessly).

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Apraxin posted:

The original ME3 endings were so muddled that common consensus at the time was that they probably showed that the mass relays supernova-d the majority of populated systems, and that the Normandy crew were stuck forever on that planet they crash-landed on, descending into a primitive society based around legends of the Shepherd (and that if Garrus and Tali made it to the end, they must eventually have starved to death while their friends and shipmates looked on helplessly).

I think this was a wilfully perverse take because people were mad, though. The intent very obviously wasn't "you picked Synthesis, destroying the entire galaxy (we lied to you about what it did as a joke)".

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Android Blues posted:

I think this was a wilfully perverse take because people were mad, though. The intent very obviously wasn't "you picked Synthesis, destroying the entire galaxy (we lied to you about what it did as a joke)".

Synthesis didn't have an intent, its absolute garbage nonsense they didn't even try to explain or comprehend themselves, they pasted green lines on everybody and called it a day and at that point why not just take everything shown at face value

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Piell posted:

Synthesis didn't have an intent, its absolute garbage nonsense they didn't even try to explain or comprehend themselves, they pasted green lines on everybody and called it a day and at that point why not just take everything shown at face value

Well yeah, it's bad, but as mentioned this is the definition of "wilfully perverse take because people were mad".

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

404notfound posted:

drat, I just loaded up my ongoing ME2 game and I'm getting this now too. Not sure if I just didn't notice it before or if it's somehow related to the new patch, but I'm definitely seeing it constantly now :smith:

Not sure if it matters, but I'm playing on a LG CX

If it's helpful I was 100% positive getting it pre-patch, and it showed up on both my Samsung and LG sets.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Meh I don’t like the sucidal charge with how the ending is constructed. If it was actually fighting the reapers sure but a suicide charge leading into a tallky ending feels hollow

Yeah, but I put that as a fault of the starched poo poo. "OK, we finished the macguffin we spent the entire game recruiting people to build, but the enemy found us. It's ride or die to push the button, everyone charge!" Is a pretty solid note. If the game ended with Shepard death stumbling to the button and whapping it before succumbing alongside Anderson without any of the star child poo poo it would have worked fine.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I'm trying to give Andromeda another try after finishing LE, since I haven't touched it since well before they really patched anything, but I think I'm already (a few hours in) hitting the same wall I bounced off 5 years ago. The gameplay and combat are fine enough but everything feels really lifeless and sterile - four different named turians in Nexus with the largely same washed-out white face, characters' bodies/arms barely moving during conversation zoom-ins, every asari's cheeks look too puffed out, salarian facial animations (particularly their mouths when speaking) that feel way too similar to humans/asari, etc. Character models and their animations feel somehow both too stiff and too rubbery simultaneously.

Also this fucker's extremely blue tongue that just bounces up and down inside his vacuum of a mouth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo-Er_A-UzU&t=7s

I know I did a full run back at original release so at some point it clicked enough for me to keep playing then, but goddamn is this game just hard to look at sometimes.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I always assumed that because it was space magic which destroyed the relays in the original endings they didn’t go supernova like in Arrival but you’re still left with a galaxy without mass transport - though I forget what the codex says about how much the relays help if it says anything. I still think that destroying the mass relays is at least very thematically appropriate but you can get too thematically appropriate depending on how you design a fictional world and Mass Effect found that point.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

xeria posted:

I'm trying to give Andromeda another try after finishing LE, since I haven't touched it since well before they really patched anything, but I think I'm already (a few hours in) hitting the same wall I bounced off 5 years ago. The gameplay and combat are fine enough but everything feels really lifeless and sterile - four different named turians in Nexus with the largely same washed-out white face, characters' bodies/arms barely moving during conversation zoom-ins, every asari's cheeks look too puffed out, salarian facial animations (particularly their mouths when speaking) that feel way too similar to humans/asari, etc. Character models and their animations feel somehow both too stiff and too rubbery simultaneously.

Also this fucker's extremely blue tongue that just bounces up and down inside his vacuum of a mouth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo-Er_A-UzU&t=7s

I know I did a full run back at original release so at some point it clicked enough for me to keep playing then, but goddamn is this game just hard to look at sometimes.

Yeah I tried to give it another shot with mods and like, how BioWare made a game in which I don't care about the story or the characters at all is beyond me

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

Yeah I tried to give it another shot with mods and like, how BioWare made a game in which I don't care about the story or the characters at all is beyond me

I really think like...there were so many problems with Andromeda, that's absolutely true. Its pacing, game design, of course the animation issues, these are all major. But if the studio had just delivered on even decent writing, so much could be forgiven. And that was the least demanding puzzle piece budget-wise compared to rigging and animating an AAA game, but somehow it's where the game falls down the hardest.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I'm going through Arrival right now and I don't know how they programmed these enemies, but when I use my stealth camo because this is literally a sneaking mission, I always hear some Batarian from two floors up in a separate room or something just screaming "I LOST VISUALS" every time I use the camo, loving lmao

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MechaX posted:

I'm going through Arrival right now and I don't know how they programmed these enemies, but when I use my stealth camo because this is literally a sneaking mission, I always hear some Batarian from two floors up in a separate room or something just screaming "I LOST VISUALS" every time I use the camo, loving lmao

There's definitely some AI stuff regarding them being able to see through solid surfaces; see your squad emptying round after round into walls and ceilings all over Mass Effect 1.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I'd forgotten how tedious the derelict Reaper could be if you didn't bring someone with Lift Field. I may have to set the difficulty right down because kiting away from armoured melee hordes is simply boring and annoying. And yes I know ABC works - I'm playing a surprisingly melee-heavy infiltrator.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Android Blues posted:

I really think like...there were so many problems with Andromeda, that's absolutely true. Its pacing, game design, of course the animation issues, these are all major. But if the studio had just delivered on even decent writing, so much could be forgiven. And that was the least demanding puzzle piece budget-wise compared to rigging and animating an AAA game, but somehow it's where the game falls down the hardest.

The writing and worldbuilding is probably what makes me angriest (or as angry as one can get about something as bland as Mass Effect Andromeda, anyway), even if the visual issues are more immediately noticeable. Anything interesting about the main council species + krogans from ME1-3 or their various biases or whatever feels completely sanded down to nothing, to the point where I'd almost wish they hadn't bothered trying to retain the major ME races for what feels like "just because" reasoning. The genophage still exists and boo salarians/turians for introducing it but it's fine, we're slowly mutating out of it, etc. Every NPC at least feels reduced down to the blandest possible representation of their species, let alone any good individual character writing.

Like in the first bit on the Nexus, you go meet three scientists: a turian, a salarian, and an asari. Are there any distinguishing characteristics between them beyond their physical race and the specific doodad each asks you to go collect? Not that I could tell! Three NPCs of vaguely "scientist" personality, each wearing as close to the same outfit as will fit on three distinct body types, who promptly sent Ryder on three separate fetch quests for "research".

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Doctor Nutt posted:

If it's helpful I was 100% positive getting it pre-patch, and it showed up on both my Samsung and LG sets.

Quoting myself to update: uninstalling and reinstalling Mass Effect 2 did not completely solve the problem. There was still some weird artifacting on the right edge of the title screen, but when I loaded up my save the persistent graphic anomaly was gone, so I played for a few minutes to see if it would come back and so far (10 mins) it has not returned.

Honestly no idea what is going on with this glitch and it is surprisingly hard to narrow a search to find any useful posts from people with similar problems.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

ahahaha nailed it

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

My biotic barrier is soaked, but my cuffs are bone dry! Everything's coming up Kaiden!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Android Blues posted:

Hardly willfully perverse. In the original ending, all the mass effect relays loving explode. No relays, no FTL. No FTL, anyone not within sublight of a habitable planet loving starves, as does anyone dextrochiral on or in an laevro planet, or vice versa, and the Citadel was in orbit around Earth, so hey, gently caress you every Quarian and Turian who was on it.

Bioware just wanted a big flashy "look, Mass Effect is done, we put an explosive button on its namesake" final moment and didn't bother to think out any of the ramifications because nobody was loving thinking when it came to that ending.

xeria posted:

The genophage still exists and boo salarians/turians for introducing it but it's fine, we're slowly mutating out of it, etc.
To play devil's advocate, it is a plot point in ME2 that the Krogans were adapting to the genophage and the Salarians had to keep it topped up.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

In the grim darkness of the Andromeda Galaxy, there are only Krogan.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Hardly willfully perverse. In the original ending, all the mass effect relays loving explode. No relays, no FTL. No FTL, anyone not within sublight of a habitable planet loving starves, as does anyone dextrochiral on or in an laevro planet, or vice versa, and the Citadel was in orbit around Earth, so hey, gently caress you every Quarian and Turian who was on it.

there is FTL without mass relays, that's how you travel between star systems. the mass relay just takes you to the clusters.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In the grand scheme conventional FTL isn’t particularly fast though, so say goodbye to the galactic economy.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

yeah, you'd wind up with star systems, or clusters at best

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

CapnAndy posted:

In the new ending the star child explains that everything can be repaired so I assume rebuilding the relays is canon now. Otherwise I don't see how Liara is able to get to that planet in the trailer.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

Bioware just wanted a big flashy "look, Mass Effect is done, we put an explosive button on its namesake" final moment and didn't bother to think out any of the ramifications because nobody was loving thinking when it came to that ending.

The setting totally has FTL without the mass relays - it's occasionally a plot point, and the codex talks about it in every game. The Reapers use FTL to travel to the Milky Way after Shepard prevents them from teleporting to the Citadel in ME1.

The read that like, when there was the goofy cinematic where the space magic crackles through the cosmos and then the relays blow up, and then it shows Shepard's friends watching in wonder before cutting to an old man fondly telling his grandchild about how Shepard saved the galaxy, that secretly meant everyone died and Garrus starved to death (in a setting with advanced hydroponics and wrist-mounted chemical fabricators) is the definition of perverse. It was people being mad at the crummy ending and kicking the sides of it in spite.

As people pointed out at the time, it's like watching the ewoks dance at the end of Return of the Jedi and pushing your glasses up on your nose before going, "uh, actually, the debris from the Death Star falling into their magnetosphere would cause a calamity of immense proportions, these furry little guys are toast!".

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
The post credit ending was dumb. The kid referring to Shepard as "The Shepard" makes me think it was ended to show that the universe has gone backwards in tech and society.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The first scene is about how catastrophically bad an idea it is to blow up Mass Relay. It's the inverse of Chekhov's Gun. "Sulu's Foil," if you will.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Android Blues posted:

Some of the writing gets to a decent place, eventually, but you really have to tough it out to find out. Drack is basically all around great; even his conversations with Peebee turn out to be more interesting than you'd expect (Peebee's dad is an Elcor). Jaal doesn't unbend until after you do his first pseudo-loyalty mission, but afterwards he's a fairly chill, surprisingly introspective presence. Vetra has a nice Team Mom vibe that never gets overbearing.

And then, on the flipside, there's Liam. At first, Liam seems like a bland, slightly manic dude-bro, like Vega's younger, immature little brother. And so long as you never take him on missions, or try to romance him, you'll probably never shake that first impression. But if you do take him on missions, you'll discover that Liam is a weird, controlling rear end in a top hat. Except for Jaal, every other NPC hates Liam, and Liam hates everyone except Jaal and Ryder. He picks on Vetra and calls her a lousy sister. He tries to bully Peebee off the ship. He needles Cora constantly about poo poo that clearly bothers her, until she blows up at him. Even Drack doesn't like Liam, and Drack likes everyone. Some writer made some very weird, very specific choices when it came to Liam.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Maxy Boy posted:

My biotic barrier is soaked, but my cuffs are bone dry! Everything's coming up Kaiden!

This is weirdly perfect. I just did Therum with Kaidan in ME1 and he had the dumbest line: "those prothean ruins look a lot like bathroom tiles!"

I mean, they do, but...what?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Android Blues posted:

The setting totally has FTL without the mass relays - it's occasionally a plot point, and the codex talks about it in every game. The Reapers use FTL to travel to the Milky Way after Shepard prevents them from teleporting to the Citadel in ME1.

The read that like, when there was the goofy cinematic where the space magic crackles through the cosmos and then the relays blow up, and then it shows Shepard's friends watching in wonder before cutting to an old man fondly telling his grandchild about how Shepard saved the galaxy, that secretly meant everyone died and Garrus starved to death (in a setting with advanced hydroponics and wrist-mounted chemical fabricators) is the definition of perverse. It was people being mad at the crummy ending and kicking the sides of it in spite.

As people pointed out at the time, it's like watching the ewoks dance at the end of Return of the Jedi and pushing your glasses up on your nose before going, "uh, actually, the debris from the Death Star falling into their magnetosphere would cause a calamity of immense proportions, these furry little guys are toast!".

Yeah, but the ewoks had their god with them to protect them :colbert:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Some of the writing gets to a decent place, eventually, but you really have to tough it out to find out. Drack is basically all around great; even his conversations with Peebee turn out to be more interesting than you'd expect (Peebee's dad is an Elcor). Jaal doesn't unbend until after you do his first pseudo-loyalty mission, but afterwards he's a fairly chill, surprisingly introspective presence. Vetra has a nice Team Mom vibe that never gets overbearing.

And then, on the flipside, there's Liam. At first, Liam seems like a bland, slightly manic dude-bro, like Vega's younger, immature little brother. And so long as you never take him on missions, or try to romance him, you'll probably never shake that first impression. But if you do take him on missions, you'll discover that Liam is a weird, controlling rear end in a top hat. Except for Jaal, every other NPC hates Liam, and Liam hates everyone except Jaal and Ryder. He picks on Vetra and calls her a lousy sister. He tries to bully Peebee off the ship. He needles Cora constantly about poo poo that clearly bothers her, until she blows up at him. Even Drack doesn't like Liam, and Drack likes everyone. Some writer made some very weird, very specific choices when it came to Liam.

Yes! All very true. Drack, Vetra, and Jaal are the game's saving graces companion-wise. And Liam, likewise, is bizarre in how horrible he is to all your other companions in mission banter, and how that jars entirely with the first impression of him as "generic love interest/everyman to ground the player".

Cora is just extremely dull, and Peebee never really gets past the "she's wild and wacky!" surface characterisation. Liam is also dull but in a frustrating way where (perhaps because of a weird writing fixation, as you point out) if you take him on missions you'll frequently see him being completely horrible to the other squaddies, but because of Andromeda's extremely blinkered dialogue system, your relationship with Liam is only allowed to range between "I am in love with him" and "he's my good buddy who I shake my head at sometimes! Oh, Liam!".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Android Blues posted:

Yes! All very true. Drack, Vetra, and Jaal are the game's saving graces companion-wise. And Liam, likewise, is bizarre in how horrible he is to all your other companions in mission banter, and how that jars entirely with the first impression of him as "generic love interest/everyman to ground the player".

Cora is just extremely dull, and Peebee never really gets past the "she's wild and wacky!" surface characterisation. Liam is also dull but in a frustrating way where (perhaps because of a weird writing fixation, as you point out) if you take him on missions you'll frequently see him being completely horrible to the other squaddies, but because of Andromeda's extremely blinkered dialogue system, your relationship with Liam is only allowed to range between "I am in love with him" and "he's my good buddy who I shake my head at sometimes! Oh, Liam!".

Liam's a cop so of course he would be a miserable lovely person.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

OUT OF MY WAY I AM A SHOTGUNNER (?)

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Peebee isn't even all that wacky, I kind of felt people tried way too hard to act like she was the second coming of Sera from Dragon Age

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Pebee is manic pixie as poo poo and almost got her team killed because she couldn't wait for the ship to land.

Liam carelessly sold state secrets that could have led to the destruction of the Nexus and full scale genocide. He should have been executed.

Liam is also a weird unstable rear end in a top hat in general. He should at least be relieved from duty because it feels like there is something genuinely wrong with him mentally or emotionally.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Drack is really good because he's a pre-Genophage Krogan but from a regular Krogan and not a leader like Wrex. He's grumpy and loves to fight but he does care about his family and friends a lot, and it's only Liam that really sets him off and genuinely annoys him.

He even tries to cheer Ryder up after their dad dies early on by sending them pictures of guns.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

bobjr posted:

Drack is really good because he's a pre-Genophage Krogan but from a regular Krogan and not a leader like Wrex. He's grumpy and loves to fight but he does care about his family and friends a lot, and it's only Liam that really sets him off and genuinely annoys him.

He even tries to cheer Ryder up after their dad dies early on by sending them pictures of guns.

The scene where Drack's getting a medical and tells Ryder about his bevy of prosthetics and constant chronic pain is genuinely good.

Also, all his banter with Vetra. Heartwarming and some of the best writing in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I'm probably going to try Andromeda after I finish 3 at least so I know how bad it is. Tell me it at least has nice skyboxes and pretty vistas I can take screenshots of? Seems like it has Ansel at least, which Legendary disappointingly doesn't.