Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

the_steve posted:

Wasn't there something a number of years ago about Republican politicians out of Kansas or somewhere thereabouts fleeing across state lines so they couldn't be forced to vote on something?
Could've sworn that was a thing. May have been back during Obama's tenure.

It was Oregon and it happened a couple years ago

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/28/how-republican-senators-killed-oregons-climate-crisis-bill

edit: Turtle tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

the_steve posted:

Wasn't there something a number of years ago about Republican politicians out of Kansas or somewhere thereabouts fleeing across state lines so they couldn't be forced to vote on something?
Could've sworn that was a thing. May have been back during Obama's tenure.

It's a thing that happens every now and then. Most recent incident was Texas Dems fleeing to a nearby church to break quorum to prevent new voter restrictions from passing—probably the most infamous incident from recent memory was Oregon House GOP fleeing across statelines to completely shut down the Oregon legislature, yeah.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Rea posted:

It's a thing that happens every now and then. Most recent incident was Texas Dems fleeing to a nearby church to break quorum to prevent new voter restrictions from passing—probably the most infamous incident from recent memory was Oregon House GOP fleeing across statelines to completely shut down the Oregon legislature, yeah.

I remember the wisonsin democrats going out of state/into hiding to deny a quorum about public union rights back in 2011.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

New page means you're supposed to post animal pictures, not pics of senators

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kraftwerk posted:

None of us are scientists either.

this is totally false but i won't go into it further here. maybe i'll post my experiences with, and education in, climatology in the climate change thread, but suffice to say i'm not just 'reading tea leaves'.

wizzardstaff posted:

He thinks he'll make history as some kind of martyr.

https://twitter.com/dirquez/status/1402026882296549377

Just for fun, I went back to see what his original statement was right after the event, and it was whining about double standards and how people couldn't possibly know his intent just by watching the security camera footage.

the local chuds here in oregon fuckin love the guy and what he did, so saying he will be a martyr is probably accurate. i mean gently caress i still see people holding up the moron who got himself killed during the malheur standoff as a hero, same with the woman who got killed during the capital insurrection. lovely white conservatives love absolutely nothing more than to view other lovely white conservatives who get killed or otherwise punished for doing lovely white conservative things as unfairly wronged martyrs, it reinforces their belief that actually, the white man, and especially the white conservative man, is the oppressed in this nation.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I wonder if tarp man's headstone has tarp man on it.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1402062667746009092

i'll admit to be wholly ignorant to the actual principles behind attempting to substitute the united states for trump/the president, but to continue to defend this is gross and strikes me as an ill omen to the idea that trump will ever face punishment for his actions as prez.

like dont get me wrong, i had zero belief that would come to pass, but i figured that would simply be a neglect to prosecute, rather than an affirmative defense

quote:

DOJ’s effort to intervene in the case last fall was widely criticized as a misuse of government resources on behalf of Trump. During a nationally televised town hall event in October, Biden had highlighted the Carroll case as an example of Trump trying to use the Justice Department as his “own law firm.”
“Can you remember any Republican president going out there, or former Democratic president, ’Go find that guy and prosecute him’? You ever hear that? Or: 'By the way, I'm being sued because a woman's accused me of rape. Represent me. Represent me.' ... What's that all about? What is that about?” Biden said at the time.

how can this be squared with the DOJ's current defense?

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 8, 2021

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

A big flaming stink posted:

i'll admit to be wholly ignorant to the actual principles behind attempting to substitute the united states for trump/the president, but to continue to defend this is gross and strikes me as an ill omen to the idea that trump will ever face punishment for his actions as prez.

like dont get me wrong, i had zero belief that would come to pass, but i figured that would simply be allowed to pass without comment, rather than an affirmative defense

i'm still holding out a small amount of hope that the sdny or tish james' office nails him for something, but they'll prolly just end up going after virtually every person in his circle other than him

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I went to a Democratic Golf Scramble in my county this evening, mostly because John Gregg is among the party members running around promoting the benefits of the American Recovery Plan. He's also stumping hard for a $4 trillion infrastructure bill and pushing people to write letters (implications to target it at Sinema and Manchin) to go it alone on reconciliation at the earliest opportunity because Republicans are beyond redemption. For an audience of embittered rural Hoosier Democratic boomers, the discussion was pretty similar to D&D in terms of combining "WHY NOT DONE?" with "I expected Biden to do nothing, so this has been nice."

He also came perilously close to sharing stories about Mike Pence from when they were in law school together, but he chickened out. So I have no insight into Pence's scholarly equine affairs. He just brought out the old joke about Pence being "the first man to write a book before reading one."

Gregg may have gotten toasted in his gubernatorial pursuits, but he's a decent speaker. Got a bit of Baptist preacher in him, only his message was a blunt "gently caress the Deficit and gently caress the Republicans." He's also got a beard to go with his mustache now and he mentioned multiple times that he keeps pistols on hand, so the former Indiana Speaker of the House is spending his retirement as Yosemite Sam.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Medullah posted:

New page means you're supposed to post animal pictures, not pics of senators

That's an insult to turtles.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

A big flaming stink posted:

how can this be squared with the DOJ's current defense?
https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1402072587191083009

"trump's a gross monster but so are all presidents so they should be immune from lawsuits."

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Shageletic posted:

that is still several hundred thousands of people. This is a terrible decision and its terrible that Biden has backed the DOJ on this, which is one of a number of terrible positions his administration has taken in the courts, from defending Trump era plans to drill in the Arctic to ripping SSI away from Puerto Ricans.

This is much more specific ruling than these headlines are making it seem, and it is exactly the way the law is written. It does not affect TPS holders who originally entered lawfully, and it does not affect TPS holders who traveled while on TPS and were subsequently admitted to the US through advance parole. In fact, TPS holders who traveled with Advance Parole have been held to be admitted, satisfying this requirement. This interpretation has recently changed, and I expect it is being appealed as we speak. A holding on THAT issue saying that entry through advance parole meets the definition of "inspected and admitted or paroled" will be a much more coherent route to achieving a path to LPR status for TPS holders.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
It's swell to see the Biden administration continuing to beat the drum of Trump's hard line anti-immigration rhetoric. At least a few progressives are standing up against this bullshit.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1402041820096389124?s=20

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The Biden Administration, and particularly its DOJ seem to have a really bizarre habit of trying to defend Trump Era bullshit until AOC et al call them out. They at least seem to listen when they do get called out but it really shouldn't have to come to that.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

InsertPotPun posted:

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1402072587191083009

"trump's a gross monster but so are all presidents so they should be immune from lawsuits."
Okay Biden but why should the presidency be immune to lawsuits? Are they supposed to be above the law or not?

(Is this a mere deferral to state/non-federal prosecutions to handle Trump specifically so Biden washes his hands of setting any 'dangerous precedents' as he sees it?)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Okay Biden but why should the presidency be immune to lawsuits? Are they supposed to be above the law or not?

(Is this a mere deferral to state/non-federal prosecutions to handle Trump specifically so Biden washes his hands of setting any 'dangerous precedents' as he sees it?)

https://twitter.com/joshgerstein/status/1402092302571540483

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tayter Swift posted:

The Biden Administration, and particularly its DOJ seem to have a really bizarre habit of trying to defend Trump Era bullshit until AOC et al call them out. They at least seem to listen when they do get called out but it really shouldn't have to come to that.

The DOJ are the government's attorneys, so they're going to defend the government and government power. I know that sounds like a really obvious statement, but that also means that if the President asserts an executive power, the DOJ is going to defend it, even if the President who first asserted the executive power isn't around anymore. In the Carrol case, the position that Trump asserted was that when he said the potentially defamatory stuff against Carrol, he was speaking as the President in his public duty as President, because communicating with the public is the President's job, and you can't sue the President for doing his job.

Now, is this self serving bullshit that Trump made up to try to get him off the hook from this lawsuit? Sure, probably. But the DOJ doesn't care if Trump personally is on the hook for the lawsuit or not. They do care about increasing the power of the Office of the President, because if that argument stands up in court, then Biden can also make statements like that. So in this case, it's wrong to see it as a partisan issue for the DOJ. It's an institutional issue, and the DOJ is pretty much always going to argue for an expansive view of executive power.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

GARLAND! What is your reasoning here!? Are you NOT anti-fascist??

Epicurius posted:

The DOJ are the government's attorneys, so they're going to defend the government and government power. I know that sounds like a really obvious statement, but that also means that if the President asserts an executive power, the DOJ is going to defend it, even if the President who first asserted the executive power isn't around anymore. In the Carrol case, the position that Trump asserted was that when he said the potentially defamatory stuff against Carrol, he was speaking as the President in his public duty as President, because communicating with the public is the President's job, and you can't sue the President for doing his job.

Now, is this self serving bullshit that Trump made up to try to get him off the hook from this lawsuit? Sure, probably. But the DOJ doesn't care if Trump personally is on the hook for the lawsuit or not. They do care about increasing the power of the Office of the President, because if that argument stands up in court, then Biden can also make statements like that. So in this case, it's wrong to see it as a partisan issue for the DOJ. It's an institutional issue, and the DOJ is pretty much always going to argue for an expansive view of executive power.

Edit: Oh. This still seems like bad PR.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 8, 2021

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
edit: took too long to rant further, sorry

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Tayter Swift posted:

So... what the hell is Garland doing? That's two about-faces in a week, and it sure looks like there will be a third tomorrow.

Dare I ask what about?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Flopsy posted:

Dare I ask what about?

Pineapple on pizza.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

Pineapple on pizza.

I had that in Kauai. I dunno if it's something about actually eating that dish in it's homeland but my pie ruled.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Flopsy posted:

I had that in Kauai. I dunno if it's something about actually eating that dish in it's homeland but my pie ruled.

:actually:Hawaiian pizza comes from Ontario.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Agents are GO! posted:

Pineapple on pizza.
What? I love that poo poo

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Honestly I kinda am starting to think that the Garland Justice Department has less been deliberately defending Trump decisions and more or less entirely focused on stuff like early antitrust work and cybersecurity action like the Coloniel Pipeline thing that they've not even done a proper accounting of other ongoing investigations and have kinda just let pre-existing policy sit. Which is almost worse.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Note I didnt say in which direction the policy is changing. Pineapple on pizza banned? Pinappleon pizza mandatory? :iiam:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JT Jag posted:

Honestly I kinda am starting to think that the Garland Justice Department has less been deliberately defending Trump decisions and more or less entirely focused on stuff like early antitrust work and cybersecurity action like the Coloniel Pipeline thing that they've not even done a proper accounting of other ongoing investigations and have kinda just let pre-existing policy sit. Which is almost worse.

Biden understands the importance of preventing any precedent that would make it easier to prosecute presidents for crimes. That’s probably the real frustration of dealing with trump’s baggage, given that much of it is probably petty fraud unrelated to the actual reasons why no president must be held accountable for their crimes.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Biden understands the importance of preventing any precedent that would make it easier to prosecute presidents for crimes. That’s probably the real frustration of dealing with trump’s baggage, given that much of it is probably petty fraud unrelated to the actual reasons why no president must be held accountable for their crimes.

Garland. You mean Garland.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
https://twitter.com/mattkatz00/status/1402007414036217858?s=20

ICE continues to be a very normal entity.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

I expect that Barr has gummed up DOJ with lots of bad guidance and memos full of his disturbing legal theories. There are also probably a fair amount of Chud lawyers who agree with it. I expect that letting some of it get tested in court is about the best neutral position garland could take that’s in line with ‘rule of law’ and not political ideology.

That said Biden commenting on DOJ cases publicly seems like a bad idea. Now if garland changes position it’s going to look political.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Louisiana just voted narrowly voted to decriminalize possession of up to half an ounce of marijuana.

The Senate voted 20-17, with every Democrat and several Republicans in favor.

Governor Edwards is a Democrat and will sign the bill.

Maximum penalty is a $100 fine and no possibility for jail time, even for repeat offenses. Everyone with a pending charge when it is signed will get it converted to a fine (nothing for people already convicted, though).

quote:

“This is just a walk down to decriminalizing any form of punishment for possessing” other drugs, said Sen. Bodi White, a Central Republican.

You're not wrong Bodi...

https://apnews.com/article/la-state-wire-louisiana-marijuana-government-and-politics-10544de0b218af304969e30607b069ef

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Meanwhile Texas is being the best little Confederate state Texas can be

https://twitter.com/SethCotlar/status/1402011593362219008?s=20

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

“Patriotic education” makes my blood boil.

Patriotism is only possible through ignorance. It’s oxymoronic.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's wild how badly they're all chimping out over an issue of the New York Times from 2 years ago. It's been months of this stupid culture war poo poo. It's all completely incomprehensible to me from the outside--like they pick their culture-war targets at complete random.

At least the voter suppression stuff has a goal I can understand.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EDIT: I had no idea that was a racist phrase or a phrase with any racial connotation at all. I'd never knowingly use a racist phrase, even in jest.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 9, 2021

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

“Patriotic education” makes my blood boil.

Patriotism is only possible through ignorance. It’s oxymoronic.

I mean, the way it's used here in 2021 is only in support of the status quo and almost as a euphemism for white nationalism, but there are a pretty limited number of ideologies that would disregard patriotism entirely, as that effectively demands that you derive no identity from the nation-state.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

CommieGIR posted:

Meanwhile Texas is being the best little Confederate state Texas can be

https://twitter.com/SethCotlar/status/1402011593362219008?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKYz2M6zoII

Old James fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 8, 2021

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I mean, the way it's used here in 2021 is only in support of the status quo and almost as a euphemism for white nationalism, but there are a pretty limited number of ideologies that would disregard patriotism entirely, as that effectively demands that you derive no identity from the nation-state.

There's something about an underdog patriotism that really inspires the unexceptional.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It's wild how badly they're all chimping out over an issue of the New York Times from 2 years ago. It's been months of this stupid culture war poo poo. It's all completely incomprehensible to me from the outside--like they pick their culture-war targets at complete random.

At least the voter suppression stuff has a goal I can understand.

They’re basically trying to assert that these things are an inalienable part of their cultural identity in order to spark the same feelings you’d have for a minority when their cultural and ethnic rights are denied. By mimicking that same feeling they can enforce the status quo from a position of being a protected cultural group rather than a symbol of slavery and colonialism. It’s a weird flex where they’re literally trying to whitewash and legitimize the past.

Get used to this as right wingers will continue to play the victim despite being the victimizer. In their minds it worked so well for everyone else so they figure by always being under attack and having to defend they have a rhetorical upper hand. It doesn’t work on people whose intelligence overwhelms their raw animal emotions but such people are a minority.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

What, did I turn my back for two minutes and this phrase stopped being exclusively used by 4chan racists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Verus posted:

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

What, did I turn my back for two minutes and this phrase stopped being exclusively used by 4chan racists?

I was wondering if they were deliberately being ironic by using it to describe white supremacists engaged in historical revisionism, or if they just didn't know.