Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

etalian posted:

A valuable service to the community especially for Raised by Wolves.

It has that thing I hate about some sci fi when everything has to be a giant convoluted and silly mystery.

Also "I get it" is totally Amos's catchphrase.

Something from the books I'm super glad they left out of the show is all thr guys geing horny for Bobbie, especially Holden bevause it's straight up dommy mommy please step on me. Book Holden is totally a big wiener when it comes to women isn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Fuller makes two episodes, gets into an argument with the studio because he wants 100 million per episode and they say "No, this is a niche show, you need to be more realistic" and then he just quits and leaves everyone else to pick up the pieces, which means it sucks and everyone says "This would have been better if those nasty studio execs would have just given Fuller what he wanted." Then he moves on to his next project.

just to be clear, it's always the financiers' fault for hiring Fuller and expecting him to not make an opera

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mameluke posted:

just to be clear, it's always the financiers' fault for hiring Fuller and expecting him to not make an opera

yeah you know what you're getting with the guy at this point, get real.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

It has that thing I hate about some sci fi when everything has to be a giant convoluted and silly mystery.

Making sense is overrated

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

It has that thing I love about some sci fi when everything can just be weird without the need to explain why.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

twistedmentat posted:

Also "I get it" is totally Amos's catchphrase.

Something from the books I'm super glad they left out of the show is all thr guys geing horny for Bobbie, especially Holden bevause it's straight up dommy mommy please step on me. Book Holden is totally a big wiener when it comes to women isn't he?

I'm horny enough about Bobbie for the whole cast

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Armacham posted:

And bobby is horny enough about cucumber sandwiches for the rest of the cast.

I feel like everyone in the cast has someone incredibly horny for them. Like, drat, these are some good looking people.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
I'd like a short story or novel set around the time the Epstein Drive was discovered that dealt with how this new technology changed the system so much from a political perspective and how it affected the non political classes. Do any of the books go any deeper into that time period than just the vignettes like the show has explaining its accidental creation?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Abisteen posted:

I'd like a short story or novel set around the time the Epstein Drive was discovered that dealt with how this new technology changed the system so much from a political perspective and how it affected the non political classes. Do any of the books go any deeper into that time period than just the vignettes like the show has explaining its accidental creation?

Not really. It's what allowed settlement of the Belt and outer planets so everything in the story is kind of the result of the Epstein. But there's not like whole chapters set in the past or anything.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Grand Fromage posted:

Not really. It's what allowed settlement of the Belt and outer planets so everything in the story is kind of the result of the Epstein. But there's not like whole chapters set in the past or anything.

I think people were already going to/landing in the belt, but it was so isolated that the gamble was very high-risk. It was mentioned somewhere that Epstein drive-ships would zip on by non-Epsteins, launched well before the invention.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Armacham posted:

Hey if she was offering headlock I'd be first in line, Book Holden totally fetishizes her.

Started book 3 and yhr first Bull chapter threw me for a moment until I realized book Bull is one of the characters that became show Drummer. I think the Ginger tycho engineer Namoi is BFFs with is also part of show Drummer?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Drummer is an amalgamation of many book characters that were cut from the show. She is a combination of Sam (the engineer you mentioned), Bull, and Mico Pa (another character introduced in Book 3). This is even more confusing when you realize there is a book Drummer whose storyline also seems to match show Drummer's sometimes.

EDIT: and to complicate things further, show Ashford is ALSO an amalgamation of book Ashford AND book Bull. Also season 3 Naomi is a combination of several book 3 characters. The adaptation of Book 3 in season 3 was wild in how they cut up and pasted all the new characters into the existing cast.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 9, 2021

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Grand Fromage posted:

The drive is also what allowed Mars to avoid a hot war with Earth after they declared independence. As it both made Mar warships and missiles much faster than Earth ships and missiles, they could also trade the tech for concessions from the UN. I believe some of this is mentioned in the show.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Drummer is an amalgamation of many book characters that were cut from the show. She is a combination of Sam (the engineer you mentioned), Bull, and Mico Pa (another character introduced in Book 3). This is even more confusing when you realize there is a book Drummer whose storyline also seems to match show Drummer's sometimes.

EDIT: and to complicate things further, show Ashford is ALSO an amalgamation of book Ashford AND book Bull. Also season 3 Naomi is a combination of several book 3 characters. The adaptation of Book 3 in season 3 was wild in how they cut up and pasted all the new characters into the existing cast.

And Micheo Pa is also in the show, as a member of Drummers Pirate Polycule.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But she's not the polycule member you'll assume she is.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Just got through this. Holy poo poo that's a good show - I'll have to check out the books. Season 6 is going to be the last, right? Does the sixth book act as a natural end point for the story or are they going to have to cram four books worth of plot in to give the show a satisfying conclusion?

I wish we could've gotten a whole season for the third book - it just felt really rushed and sloppy compared to everything else, and it's the only point of the show that felt like it was on a SyFy original budget. It's crazy how beautiful everything got when Amazon took over.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

stev posted:

Just got through this. Holy poo poo that's a good show - I'll have to check out the books. Season 6 is going to be the last, right? Does the sixth book act as a natural end point for the story or are they going to have to cram four books worth of plot in to give the show a satisfying conclusion?

I wish we could've gotten a whole season for the third book - it just felt really rushed and sloppy compared to everything else, and it's the only point of the show that felt like it was on a SyFy original budget. It's crazy how beautiful everything got when Amazon took over.

The book 3 arc was my favourite of the whole show so far. :shrug:

Also the budget is the same under Amazon as it was under SyFy. It's always been made by Alcon, all that changed was who distributes it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Huh, that's surprising. Maybe it's just because seasons 4 and 5 spend the most time on the ground so get to play with larger environments. Ilus in particular was beautifully shot.

I did enjoy the book 3 stuff, it just felt like it needed a few more episodes to flesh things out. I think it's partially because it such a big tonal shift.

I do wish Marco had introduced a bit earlier. It was quite a big headfuck when a guy who had been mentioned a handful of times suddenly became the primary antagonist. Especially when the show is otherwise pretty good at establishing characters before they become important to the plot.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Book 3 is massively condensed in the show, but I didn't mind it because that pacing was incredible.

The end of book 6 is a natural stopping point. The books are designed as four story arcs according to the authors, books 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, and 7-9. You're definitely going to want to read 7-9 after you finish watching 6 to see where it ends, but it's not just going to stop at a random point. They've explicitly said that season 6 is only book 6 and they're not cramming the later material in, so unless they're lying that's where it'll go.

stev posted:

I do wish Marco had introduced a bit earlier. It was quite a big headfuck when a guy who had been mentioned a handful of times suddenly became the primary antagonist. Especially when the show is otherwise pretty good at establishing characters before they become important to the plot.

Marco's introduced on the show earlier than in the books, actually. All the stuff in season 4 was added for TV, he wasn't in that book at all. And Marco is mentioned on screen as far back as season one. You'd never notice if you only watched the show, but all us filthy Book Readers were doing the point-at-screen.jpg.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

Marco's introduced on the show earlier than in the books, actually. All the stuff in season 4 was added for TV, he wasn't in that book at all. And Marco is mentioned on screen as far back as season one. You'd never notice if you only watched the show, but all us filthy Book Readers were doing the point-at-screen.jpg.

they're always doing that, causes a lot of mischief vis a vis spoilers. :lol:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I've been rewatching the show with some friends after reading the books and there are so many scenes that made perfect sense not knowing anything that are so much stronger having read the books.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

stev posted:

It kinda does, but they've also been actively setting stuff up that happens in the later books as well? I'm guessing they've got a plan to pay it off. I can see the last trilogy making a pretty decent set of movies, it's scope feels much more cinematic and it's a lot easier to cut down than books 1-6 are.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Season 3 might be the finest season of scifi tv ever. The big time jump is jarring but I love how the story keeps moving. Tried to watch 4 again and it's a sloooooooggggg.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Season 3 might be the finest season of scifi tv ever. The big time jump is jarring but I love how the story keeps moving. Tried to watch 4 again and it's a sloooooooggggg.

Seasons 2/3 were my favs so far due to being longer 10+ episode seasons plus the roller coaster pace of the plot.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Is the ring gate stationary or does it drift?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Open Source Idiom posted:

Is the ring gate stationary or does it drift?

it drifts in unison with our solar system, as it drifts, but is effectively stationary from solar system's perspective.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I would think it would be in orbit, it would make it alot easier to stay out of the lane of other orbiting bodies that way.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
This conversation just made me realize that gravity racing is all wrong. When navigating by gravity assist is going to rely on orbit confluences that may not reoccur for thousands of years solo time trials don't make sense. Races should be actual races so each competitor can operate in identical conditions.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

This conversation just made me realize that gravity racing is all wrong. When navigating by gravity assist is going to rely on orbit confluences that may not reoccur for thousands of years solo time trials don't make sense. Races should be actual races so each competitor can operate in identical conditions.

I think it's start to finish, you navigate the middle bit and optimize.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I would assume it's in a stable orbit around the sun, yeah. Far enough away from anything else to not have its orbit perturbed, or for there to be gravity that interferes with its operation or objects passing through, since that's a good explanation for why it's that far out.
It's also a sci-fi staple that you have to be far enough up the star's gravity well to engage whatever method of FTL that setting use.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
"a ring-shaped megastructure with a diameter of 1000 km, stationary positioned little less than 2 AU outside the orbit of Uranus"

from the wiki

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Azhais posted:

"a ring-shaped megastructure with a diameter of 1000 km, stationary positioned little less than 2 AU outside the orbit of Uranus"

from the wiki

"Stationary" has no meaning in a complex system like the solar system. Stationary to what? Like to a specific point on the surface of the sun, similar to a geostationary orbit? If so it would be orbiting the sun (at a fairly high speed actually).

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
It's already been established the goop can move with seemingly no propulsion, so stationary relative to the sun (and not orbiting) is plausible

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If anything, it's stationary relative to the direction the system the protomolecule came from is/was

Jows
May 8, 2002

Captain Splendid posted:

It's already been established the goop can move with seemingly no propulsion, so stationary relative to the sun (and not orbiting) is plausible

Except they've established that thermodynamics is still respected, even by magic goop that ignores inertia. Whenever the PM does something "magic" it generates heat. We saw that on Eros and the moon in S4. If the ring gate was truly stationary wrt the sun it would be glowing hot.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I'd take stationary in this context to mean "in a stable orbit, no longer moving on its own power"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Are there more books coming? I spoiled my self for very end of the series and was wondering if they just leave it with Laconia ruling everything. I doubt we'll see any of that in the show, the last season is totally just going to be focused on Marco hunting.

Yea, after the high of season 3, season 4 is pretty, meh. I think because the majority of it is on Illus, and just stays there. Bobbie's stuff in season 4 is the most interesting part of it.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The final book is coming out in November.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Azhais posted:

from the wiki

This reads almost like a :goatsecx: reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Kassad posted:

The final book is coming out in November.

And there are three more novellas. One of them takes place after the final book IIRC. I assume the one they already announced the title of takes place between 8 and 9.