Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've never tried nerds rope
Dusting off the entry in my old candy rolodex...says here they're extremely good but way overpriced vs how much you get. The inside is like a big gummy worm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

Spain's rations aren't exactly generous

There seems to be a huge difference between MRE-style rations from countries that expect to send soldiers outside of the country and those that do not. With the ones that don't, you either get many tiny packages of things with short shelf lives, produced locally, or just a few long shelf life items with the expectation that they'll be supplemented by something from a field kitchen, base canteen, or other means. There are even a few that don't bother bringing their rations when they leave their own borders and buy them from whoever they deploy alongside.

With how small most European countries are, if you're in a training area you're probably close enough to a military base for some rear end in a top hat to drive a van full of food out to you every day. If you're in combat inside your own borders, chances are food is going to be the last thing on your mind for the foreseeable future.

How do the Swiss do it, I wonder. Italian food for the Italians, French food for the French, German food for the Germans, and is there Romansch cuisine?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

This reminds me of the church I grew up in. Every so often they'd have a hot dog sale to raise some money. A few bucks for a dog, can of pop and some chips.

The vegetarian option was a carrot on a roll. Not even grilled or anything. Just a raw(?) carrot in a hot dog bun. Maybe it was boiled a bit?

Years after I stopped having to attend I heard they switched over to tofu dogs or something.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

OwlFancier posted:

C-------d.

we're not supposed to say that anymore

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/joewittebrood/status/1394383550020046855

https://twitter.com/dzurlady/status/1397817139428425730

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I think those are some of the same creatures that attacked Spock in Operation: Annihilate.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

SlothfulCobra posted:

There are still rainbow nerds, but I'm not convinced that those are all different flavors. I guess the company prefers to go for weird variations on the nerds form factor.

i got these once, there was something off putting about them. like the popplers from Futurama. they were like tumors excised from Nerd creatures or perhaps the aborted fetuses of Nerds yet to be birthed.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

eggs and assteroids

just like mom used to bake

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

uber_stoat posted:

i got these once, there was something off putting about them. like the popplers from Futurama. they were like tumors excised from Nerd creatures or perhaps the aborted fetuses of Nerds yet to be birthed.

I have some in my desk right now. They're pretty good actually, my only issue with them is the acid content is severely variable. One you bite into might be super tart, the next is just boring and sweet. It's not flavor-dependent. One grape one will be sour and the next grape one will be sweet. It's very distracting

They do make a "SOUR BIG CHEWY NERDS" too but it's all the cheap chemical-plant flavors, the blue raspberry/green apple/watermelon zombie wasteland

Anyway I like Nerds Ropes, they're tasty and have more tooth than the big chewy nuggets. If only there were some sort of hybrid abomination that featured the bite characteristics of Nerds Ropes with the form factor of Big Chewy Nerds,

fake e: :aaaaa:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

We laugh at all the terrible old recipes for bananas, but what happened to them? At what point did we decide bananas shouldn't be cooked at all and instead should only be eaten fresh, raw, and no more than 3 days before they turn brown, mushy, and inedible.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Facebook Aunt posted:

We laugh at all the terrible old recipes for bananas, but what happened to them? At what point did we decide bananas shouldn't be cooked at all and instead should only be eaten fresh, raw, and no more than 3 days before they turn brown, mushy, and inedible.

A) Different variety of banana, maybe Gros Michel taste good with mayonnaise on them :shrug:
B) Many cuisines have great fried banana recipes and also Bananas Foster rules

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Facebook Aunt posted:

Put overripe banana in oven, bake until peel is entirely darkened, open, add ice cream and cinnamon, eat!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

AlbieQuirky posted:

A) Different variety of banana, maybe Gros Michel taste good with mayonnaise on them :shrug:
B) Many cuisines have great fried banana recipes and also Bananas Foster rules

Gros Michel have a more pronounced banana flavour, but overall taste very similar to Cavendish. Plus those recipes persisted well into the 70s, long after Gros Michel got phased out.

I think what happened was people got exposed more to different cuisines, and a bigger variety of ingredients became available to an average household. Bananas with mayonnaise simply couldn't survive the competition.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Facebook Aunt posted:

speak for yourself, brown and mushy is when they're perfect to go into banana bread

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SlothfulCobra posted:

I thought "danish" was just a generic term for all sweet pastries. I guess it hasn't come up much since I don't go out for donuts much anymore.

I feel like I did have them, but they weren't notable enough to remember.

There are still rainbow nerds, but I'm not convinced that those are all different flavors. I guess the company prefers to go for weird variations on the nerds form factor.

I've never tried nerds rope and it seems kinda creepy to me. I just don't know what to expect from the rope part.

Wrong thread.

The rope part is just gummy candy, it's pretty good

Data Graham posted:

I have some in my desk right now. They're pretty good actually, my only issue with them is the acid content is severely variable. One you bite into might be super tart, the next is just boring and sweet. It's not flavor-dependent. One grape one will be sour and the next grape one will be sweet. It's very distracting

They do make a "SOUR BIG CHEWY NERDS" too but it's all the cheap chemical-plant flavors, the blue raspberry/green apple/watermelon zombie wasteland

Anyway I like Nerds Ropes, they're tasty and have more tooth than the big chewy nuggets. If only there were some sort of hybrid abomination that featured the bite characteristics of Nerds Ropes with the form factor of Big Chewy Nerds,

fake e: :aaaaa:

Those things are so addicting

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I once made something called a Flying Jacob which is like a banana, chicken, bacon, and peanut casserole type deal. It sounds and looks atrocious but tasted really good.

Look at this monstrosity

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Jun 8, 2021

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

gschmidl posted:

Put overripe banana in oven, bake until peel is entirely darkened, open, add ice cream and cinnamon, eat!

Grilled bananas are also great. Take a banana with peel still on and cut it down the middle (along the concave side). Not all the way through, you want to keep the bottom skin intact. Pull the peel and banana slightly apart, stick chocolate in and wrap the banana in foil. Stick on a grill or campfire for some minutes until banana is warm and chocolate is melted.

Anyway, self own content:

This is honestly one of my favourite nostalgia foods. It's elegantly named "potatoes in milk". You can only use summer's first small potatoes for this (they taste very different than regular ones) so it was something I always looked forward to, because it means summer is here. You boil potatoes, pour out the water, put in milk + butter spring onion + salt, let it come to boiling point and eat.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tbh that sounds pretty tasty

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Doll House Ghost posted:

Grilled bananas are also great. Take a banana with peel still on and cut it down the middle (along the concave side). Not all the way through, you want to keep the bottom skin intact. Pull the peel and banana slightly apart, stick chocolate in and wrap the banana in foil. Stick on a grill or campfire for some minutes until banana is warm and chocolate is melted.

Anyway, self own content:

This is honestly one of my favourite nostalgia foods. It's elegantly named "potatoes in milk". You can only use summer's first small potatoes for this (they taste very different than regular ones) so it was something I always looked forward to, because it means summer is here. You boil potatoes, pour out the water, put in milk + butter spring onion + salt, let it come to boiling point and eat.

My grandmother always made this in the summer time with fresh potatoes and freshly shelled peas. For something so simple it really is delicious.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Butterfly Valley posted:

speak for yourself, brown and mushy is when they're perfect to go into banana bread
Yeah, except we all know how that goes.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Yes. Microwaved scrambled eggs are the simplest and easiest to clean up after. This is my hill.

These were on sale in Lidl. I bought enough to keep me in Tic-Tac's for the next year.

Self-quoting since no-one picked up on the bottle of peanut butter-infused whisky that's been sitting in our kitchen since forever. I'm still terrified to try after a nightmarish experience involving Jim Beam and green apple flavour, designed by a future anti-human AI to replicate the taste of apple in the matrix.

The label says it's 70% WOOF..

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Summers first is the brand or are you talking about a specific time to use and get specific potatoes?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Self-quoting since no-one picked up on the bottle of peanut butter-infused whisky that's been sitting in our kitchen since forever. I'm still terrified to try after a nightmarish experience involving Jim Beam and green apple flavour, designed by a future anti-human AI to replicate the taste of apple in the matrix.

The Jim Beam cherry whiskey tastes like cough syrup and caused me the worst abdominal pain I've ever felt, and I am no stranger to pain. Just give the bottle to someone you don't like very much. Flavored whiskey is never worth it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

FreudianSlippers posted:

I once made something called a Flying Jacob which is like a banana, chicken, bacon, and peanut casserole type deal. It sounds and looks atrocious but tasted really good.

Look at this monstrosity

Looks like something you might see at a church potluck. I'd probably try it at least once.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Look at this monstrosity

Not sure what's supposed to be monstrous about a casserole tbh.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, except we all know how that goes.

I must be the exception then, brown bananas go into the freezer ready for a quick defrost in boiling water if I need a spontaneous dessert or something to bring to a party

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mymla posted:

Not sure what's supposed to be monstrous about a casserole tbh.

In 50 years people are going to look at casseroles the same way we look at bananas with mayo.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

TV Zombie posted:

Summers first is the brand or are you talking about a specific time to use and get specific potatoes?

the first young, new baby potatoes of the summer

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://mobile.twitter.com/groushevaia/status/1401707375527084036?s=09

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Paladinus posted:

In 50 years people are going to look at casseroles the same way we look at bananas with mayo.

:thunk:
50 years ago was 1971... when there were still casseroles

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I'm an aficionado of disgusting liquors. I actually enjoy many of the various flavored Jim Beams that always get dunked on in this thread. I have willingly purchased Red Stag before. I will drink Fireball if it is placed in front of me. I have a mental index of which cheap vodkas are drinkable by flavor. My standards are pretty low.

This PB whiskey was pretty gross and I would not drink it again. I also tried the competitor brand and would not drink that one again either.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

The first potatoes that you can dig up from the ground in the summer. They are still small, have barely any skin and are a lot tastier than regular potatoes.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I’m guessing that’s not readily available in stores :(

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Paladinus posted:

i will carry the torch of frito pie into the far flung future.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

TV Zombie posted:

The potatoes? They are here in Western Europe.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

TV Zombie posted:

What, new potatoes? Literally look for "new potatoes" or even "baby potatoes." :confused:

eta: I'm in Michigan. They are neither new to the market nor rare.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

hallo spacedog posted:

I'm an aficionado of disgusting liquors. I actually enjoy many of the various flavored Jim Beams that always get dunked on in this thread. I have willingly purchased Red Stag before. I will drink Fireball if it is placed in front of me. I have a mental index of which cheap vodkas are drinkable by flavor. My standards are pretty low.

This PB whiskey was pretty gross and I would not drink it again. I also tried the competitor brand and would not drink that one again either.

Red Stag is delicious if you mix it with lemonade in a big pitcher and get very, very drunk on a summer sunday afternoon

Hirayuki posted:

What, new potatoes? Literally look for "new potatoes" or even "baby potatoes." :confused:

eta: I'm in Michigan. They are neither new to the market nor rare.

That said, there's a special quality to tiny potatoes pulled out of the earth of your garden and washed in the sink. Pulling off all those little rooty bits... smelling that geosmin smell...

gently caress me, potatoes are excellent.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

That said, there's a special quality to tiny potatoes pulled out of the earth of your garden and washed in the sink. Pulling off all those little rooty bits... smelling that geosmin smell...

gently caress me, potatoes are excellent.
Oh, yeah. We grew a little bit of Masquerade potatoes one year and enjoyed that immensely. We don't have a lot of deep soil for taters, though, so we haven't done it since. We'll probably grab one of those purpose-made growing bags and try again at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
you can grow potatoes in a bale of straw. I had mixed luck with it, but I'm an abysmal gardener.