Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Chaos Wastes has also rendered chests completely pointless for me. If I could select a box to completely skip exp gained and chests received, that’s be swell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
ive done enough quickplay runs in this game. chaos wastes is dope as hell, even if i get salty at bad trait rolls

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Only major annoyance with the random traits is that there is no Grail knight/Slayer/Ammoless ranged weapon flag and will hand you all of those ammo related traits anyway.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

the worst part about the chaos wastes is the small amount of specific dialogue it has

i don’t need to hear the party wondering which chaos god is the worst at least two times per run

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!

dmboogie posted:

the worst part about the chaos wastes is the small amount of specific dialogue it has

i don’t need to hear the party wondering which chaos god is the worst at least two times per run

It's the new Castle Drachenfels....

Chaos Wastes is amazing, but for people who came to the game a bit later, and for whom the novelty of opening chests hasn't entirely worn off (our group has one red item between the three of us), the fact that they are entirely pointless for the only game mode we want to play is a bit sad.

A variant of CW where your initial gear still mattered somewhat would be a nice middle ground.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I feel like there's a way to design a chaos wastes game from the ground up where loot matters but i don't know how you would integrate it now.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm perfectly fine with Chaos Wastes being self contained. Not everything needs an unending loot treadmill to be enjoyable if it's just fun to play.

Most popular games prior to like 10+ years ago went by the principle of just being fun, and Chaos Wastes does that.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

It sounds like darktide will be using some of that roguelike stuff in the main game mode. Pretty excited for that game too ughh

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
It seems like weaves are pretty much useless now, and I doubt many people are playing them, so they should take all the weave maps and add them to chaos wastes.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I wonder how much of the player base from vermintide will move to Darktide....

I played this on pc a long time ago, but I've been a console gamer for a while now and I really missed the pc community and discord and such on ps4. PSN didn't seem nearly as active.....the games also very old now so meh. I'm waiting for the battlefield reveal and hopefully some info on this before buying a new pc.

The fact that Darktide is going to incorporate some stuff similar to wastes is awesome though! I'm happy to hear that. Inwish I could get into it on console :(

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I definitely prefer that Vermintide is a melee-centric game. If Darktide is more shooty I think Vermintide will still have a place in the rotation.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have no idea how it will be balanced in practice but melee has still been front and center in all the gameplay we’ve seen, it’s probably still what you’ll be using more than half the time

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I'm guessing ammo will be scarce and the enemies plentiful. It probably has more gunplay than vermintide but not by much.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

KillerQueen posted:

Saltzpyre meme tweet

Vermintide has enormous meme energy and it owes it to two sources: Skaven being nutty and excellent player character voiced dialogue / characterization. Darktide won't have the former so I'm :pray: hard for a home run on the latter and not just four or five variations on "I luv da emprah."

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

Vermintide has enormous meme energy and it owes it to two sources: Skaven being nutty and excellent player character voiced dialogue / characterization. Darktide won't have the former so I'm :pray: hard for a home run on the latter and not just four or five variations on "I luv da emprah."

tbh Skaven are portrayed less as nutty (except for the greyseer cutscenes) and more as the terrifying thing they are to the humans of Warhammer. You don't see the weapon teams randomly explode when they start shooting or a doomwheel veer off course and take out a few dozen clan rats.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah, there is a lack of friendly fire and Skaven fleeing (except at the very end of Skittergate). Total war does a solid job of modelling the Skaven as my frontline immediately collapses. But that’s entirely understandable as enemies running away is much less fun than enemies that run directly into my sword.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Warhammer was way more comical up to and including 5th edition, in 6th and onwards they went more grimdark.

Back then, dwarf armies had colors other than "metal" and "sometimes beard".
Also Skaven. Remember the "Engines of War" mission?

Old Doomwheel:

New Doomwheel:

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 9, 2021

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Floppychop posted:

tbh Skaven are portrayed less as nutty (except for the greyseer cutscenes) and more as the terrifying thing they are to the humans of Warhammer. You don't see the weapon teams randomly explode when they start shooting or a doomwheel veer off course and take out a few dozen clan rats.

Idk Skaven are still fairly silly in Vermintide. There is not a person in my playgroup who does not take delight in "catch-catch!" or "always sneaking stabbing". Skaven are loving weirdos.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Idk Skaven are still fairly silly in Vermintide. There is not a person in my playgroup who does not take delight in "catch-catch!" or "always sneaking stabbing". Skaven are loving weirdos.

True, and the hilarity of a gutter runner whiffing the attack and launching themselves off a cliff.

It's still very much shows how terrifying Skaven are to everyone that isn't Skaven though.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
After seeing a gunrat slaughter an entire horde of slave rats, IMO Skaven should be afraid of Skaven.

e. Friendly fire is another part that Vermintide does well that nobody else does. You don't get cops murdering each other in Payday or dreadnaughts in DRG killing other bugs, but you can certainly watch a bunch of rats fearlessly run into poison gas and die. It takes (certain) special units and lets me use them tactically in a very organic way if I can't quite murder them instantly.

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 9, 2021

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

bbcisdabomb posted:

After seeing a gunrat slaughter an entire horde of slave rats, IMO Skaven should be afraid of Skaven.

Nobody kills more Skaven than other Skaven.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ratlings, globadiers and flamethrower rats will all happily fire through other rats but it could definitely be a lot more destructive. you rarely see friendly fire kill more than a few slave rats, and even getting punched out of the way by roger doesn’t kill them, it just knocks them over. Skaven friendly fire should melt right through tougher rats too

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SuperKlaus posted:

The Darktide trailer had a warrior priestess and an Ogryn so you have your gender swapped Saltzpyre and a giant dumbass to work with. Also chaos cultists can be hilarious in how pathetic they are, as exemplified by Dawn of War.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I played a CW run last night where the dwarf engineer took every opportunity to fire into melee, no matter if it was needed or helpful or if anyone was close by. It must have been the guy in this thread a couple weeks ago who condescendingly told us we could go fight somewhere that the dwarf wasn't shooting. I thought of that every time I ran up to an enemy and got shot in the back. Guess I should have known the dwarf would shoot me no matter where I ran

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
this is actually every engineer in every game

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Occasionally, you'll see a lone surviving rat pressing his back to a wall, trying to get away from you, whimpering "No... noooooooo..."

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 9, 2021

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
"The things! The things are here-here!" when they spot the party always makes me chuckle

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Darktide trailer had a warrior priestess and an Ogryn so you have your gender swapped Saltzpyre and a giant dumbass to work with. Also chaos cultists can be hilarious in how pathetic they are, as exemplified by Dawn of War.

What do you mean "pathetic." They are Chaos. Chaos is strong :v:

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

SuperKlaus posted:

I can feel the warp overtaking me! It is a good pain!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SuperKlaus posted:

Sure, if you're a jacked 8 foot tall superhuman. If you're a wimpy little cultist all you can do is squeal about your exploded spleen.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvXnECMtXbc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rndvOeFoa68

edit: holy poo poo lmao https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yD6N2fOTjI

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 10, 2021

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Ardent Communist posted:

I can feel the warp overtaking me! It is a good pain!

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Fishstick posted:

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?

Thanks for reminding me to dig out my old ringtone again

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hah, Revolver Saltzelot

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Sister of the Thorn: Tweaks to 'Radiant Inheritance;

Power Level increase now 20%, down from 50%.
Critical strike chance increase removed.
Critical strike power now 20%, down from 40%.
Movement speed increase now 20%, down from 30%.
Attack speed increase unchanged.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Its a nerf but I mean that's still a very solid buff

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Paolomania posted:

I definitely prefer that Vermintide is a melee-centric game. If Darktide is more shooty I think Vermintide will still have a place in the rotation.

As a counterpoint, I lost two people who were big on co-op and l4d almost instantly because console + close in fighting + lol if you think fatshark will waste time with console fov. One really liked Vermintide 2 as well. That plus a huge importance on latency and reactions kind of killed it all. Ranged combat really helps with that.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Sister of the Thorn: Tweaks to 'Radiant Inheritance;

Power Level increase now 20%, down from 50%.
Critical strike chance increase removed.
Critical strike power now 20%, down from 40%.
Movement speed increase now 20%, down from 30%.
Attack speed increase unchanged.

It was also nerfed down to 10 seconds from 15.

Justified imo, although the other talents in the tier are pretty poo poo so it still may be the go-to.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Kruber's fake accent is amazing lol I've never heard any of that dialogue. They really killed the team interaction vibes in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I miss The Wizard's Tower.