Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Zeta Acosta posted:

gently caress me that would be awful.

sorry for doubting you keanu, please dont let this happen

Eraflure posted:

:same:
At least you get to enjoy the terrible driving between missions.

there is no way in hell that the car buying gameplay was what they wanted to do. if so yikeserooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Combat Pretzel posted:

That one was the biggest joke of the century so far. How in the gently caress can their coding team create an engine that crammed so much detail and gameplay systems into those Xbox360 and PS3 poo poo boxes, with decent enough performance, and then fumble so hard on that one?!
I can easily answer this one as a software developer in general - the original dev team of superstars on the engine side are mostly gone (it's been about 9 years now IIRC, people move on, that's just life), and now deep into maintenance mode priorities are elsewhere than the end to end user experience, which almost no company does a good job of very well to begin with because profiling down to that level of detail is oftentimes invasive, simply not interesting compared to the macro-level problems for many engineers, and it's expensive as hell to instrument and profile all this data. The thing that's bewildering is that Take Two has literally billions of dollars to work with and that wasn't enough to identify this boat anchor in end user experience and also many users were too used to slow loading times. Meanwhile, as much as I hate Amazon, I know that there's a lot of attention paid to customer experience at Amazon and they sink a lot of dollars into that FWIW. Apple gets the crown for putting customer experience at the center to build technology around although it's been awkward with the whole USB-C / Thunderbolt business for roughly 15 years now (Jobs fought against DRM on iTunes but lost, per internal e-mails).

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

itry posted:

Necromunda isn't there either, because is it really cyberpunk?
It's 40K, which means it's medieval history and gothic architecture meets Dune and 2000AD. Whatever that is, I don't think it's cyberpunk.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Where da patches at? Only four weeks left to the end of June. In Europe, July is typically holiday season/month, where you can expect skeleton staff at best, with which you better not launch something that could break loose hell. Oh wait, I just answered my own question.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Sydney Bottocks posted:

And what about massive transnational corporations with dragons? :colbert:

Only if they are the CEO, have magical powers, and control at least one AI in the matrix. That's where stuff starts to get interesting.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Zephro posted:

It's 40K, which means it's medieval history and gothic architecture meets Dune and 2000AD. Whatever that is, I don't think it's cyberpunk.

On the other hand, there are cyberpunk implants and cyberpunk weapons and cyberpunk dogs and cyberpunk-style gangs so if the metal arm fits....

The gothic stuff and aliens existing is basically the part that doesn't fit, but the parts that do fit are at the forefront in Necromunda Hired Gun. Regardless, it's a pretty fun game.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Where da patches at? Only four weeks left to the end of June. In Europe, July is typically holiday season/month, where you can expect skeleton staff at best, with which you better not launch something that could break loose hell. Oh wait, I just answered my own question.
At this point I doubt we're going to see anything until the last quarter of this year, with major DLCs not until Q2/Q3 2022. Although if they cannot get certified for next-gen systems, you can probably just drop any of that and they will move directly to full production on W4/New IP. I didn't really consider that a possibility until recently -- CP2077 not being on the PS store for nearly half a year is something I didn't consider possible either.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

TheAgent posted:

Although if they cannot get certified for next-gen systems, you can probably just drop any of that and they will move directly to full production on W4/New IP.

I realize there is a non-zero chance of this happening, but CDPR was at one point known for cleaning up their messes, and by and large GoG is fairly well operated. They gave the author of The Witcher more money at one point despite the contract being for relative pennies, didn't they?

I imagine if this was the approach they took, a number of people who otherwise blindly bought their games (myself included) would go from being mildly-skeptical and trying not to get burnt twice (IE: not preordering) to "gently caress you, I'll wait until it shows up in a bundle." The fact that Witcher 4 is gonna be non-Geralt means a lot of people can skip it as well and not feel like they missed out on something they had been working towards.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I imagine there might be some dumb hotfix patch this week with E3 and all but lol

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

George RR Fartin posted:

I realize there is a non-zero chance of this happening, but CDPR was at one point known for cleaning up their messes, and by and large GoG is fairly well operated. They gave the author of The Witcher more money at one point despite the contract being for relative pennies, didn't they?

I imagine if this was the approach they took, a number of people who otherwise blindly bought their games (myself included) would go from being mildly-skeptical and trying not to get burnt twice (IE: not preordering) to "gently caress you, I'll wait until it shows up in a bundle." The fact that Witcher 4 is gonna be non-Geralt means a lot of people can skip it as well and not feel like they missed out on something they had been working towards.

I legit wont play a Ciri lead witcher 4.

Zeta Acosta fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 9, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

George RR Fartin posted:

i assume it will be ciri OR one that takes place in the old old witcher days.

also i am still a stupid gently caress who thinks they will probably at least make a new gen version 2077.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i assume it will be ciri OR one that takes place in the old old witcher days.

also i am still a stupid gently caress who thinks they will probably at least make a new gen version 2077.

yeah its callet cyberpunk 2077 on pc.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I'm hoping we do get a decent next-gen version with some major fixes, gameplay improvements and additional content, including a New Game+ mode. But the low sales for Q1 2021 across all platforms, the 20% maximum attach rate sales for single player DLC, and the certification issues (especially for PlayStation) really has made dropping additional support for CP2077 a real possibility.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TheAgent posted:

I'm hoping we do get a decent next-gen version with some major fixes, gameplay improvements and additional content, including a New Game+ mode. But the low sales for Q1 2021 across all platforms, the 20% maximum attach rate sales for single player DLC, and the certification issues (especially for PlayStation) really has made dropping additional support for CP2077 a real possibility.

yeah. i think it will just be new gen port and maybe new game plus and some new hair styles or some poo poo.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I’m surprised Ciri didn’t turn up as an Easter egg.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I am on record as a CP2077 stan and even I am increasingly doubtful that any kind of content update is ever coming at this point. The window to keep gamers engaged with new content has already closed. People who really like the game will probably buy DLC as it comes out but that number will be much lower than it could have been; and the only way this game will enjoy ongoing success is years down the line when the Ultimate Bundle comes out and, assuming it was well made and well-recieved, everybody gives the game a second look.

I'm one of those weirdos who really liked the game and will probably buy new content, so I'll let you guys know how it is in 2023 or whatever.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mendrian posted:

I am on record as a CP2077 stan and even I am increasingly doubtful that any kind of content update is ever coming at this point. The window to keep gamers engaged with new content has already closed. People who really like the game will probably buy DLC as it comes out but that number will be much lower than it could have been; and the only way this game will enjoy ongoing success is years down the line when the Ultimate Bundle comes out and, assuming it was well made and well-recieved, everybody gives the game a second look.

I'm one of those weirdos who really liked the game and will probably buy new content, so I'll let you guys know how it is in 2023 or whatever.

I like the game less than you but I find myself agreeing about the updates. I think it's very possible that there will never be any significant updates to this game. MAYBE there will be a single paid DLC for the people who love the game, but as far as the future I really think the whole game is slowly dying and CDPR will eventually just stop talking about it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Blue Raider posted:

I’m surprised Ciri didn’t turn up as an Easter egg.

There was a Ciri EE (she was on some magazine in the beginning of the corpo path). Not sure if that mag shows up elsewhere.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The best case is we all have to wait for a sequel to where it isn't bungled as hard.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
If they made a create your own old age witcher with the ability to also be a snarky mage gal I will love the game just like I love jedi knight academy: as in totally and completely

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Axe-man posted:

If they made a create your own old age witcher with the ability to also be a snarky mage gal I will love the game just like I love jedi knight academy: as in totally and completely

that would be so much better than a Ciri main. Tough to record that many voice acting roles though, even if you only did one male and one female. So given the sheer amount of lines in Witcher games they will probably never have a character creator type thing. But maybe, that'd be great if they did

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I think aliens can be fine in cyberpunk, and even elves and poo poo could too. But it would have to be interesting. Shadowrun is just cyberpunk with d&d style racial determinism layered on top of it in a way that I think obscures what's cool and interesting about the source material it's based on. Massive transnational corporations are *more* interesting than dragons. Class, race, and power are *more* interesting when you aren't limited to talking about loving orcs and poo poo.

For a saturday morning cartoon it works fine, but I think it's limited to that alone, whereas something like 2020 I think has the possibility for breadth and depth.

Fantasy races that are functionally different can be extremely useful to tell allegorical stories about real-life racism, but Shadowrun has the combined problems of racial bonuses and CGL being absolute loving dogshit.

Racial bonuses are a problem because they often entrench the negative stereotypes about whatever skin tone a given fantasy race is an allegory for. For example, Shadowrun orks and trolls being an allegory for Black people and thus having bonuses to "things that Black people are good at" (athleticism, stamina, etc.) and negatives to "things that Black people are bad at" (people skills, general intelligence, etc.). It's an allegory that plays into the stereotype instead of using the stereotype as a vehicle for pushing back against it.

CGL just sucks, for many and sundry reasons. Eclipse Phase or LANCER are way better games for exploring possibly charged themes.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There's white orcs and trolls in shadowrun, explain that.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 9, 2021

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Tenzarin posted:

There's white orcs and trolls in shadowrun, explain that.

The racism that orks and trolls experience in Shadowrun is an allegory for the racism that Black people experience IRL. Crack open one of the books to a section talking about orks and trolls, copy the text, and use your favorite text editor to replace "ork" or "troll" with "Black people". Give it a read and wowzers, Batman!

Hope this helps.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Play posted:

I like the game less than you but I find myself agreeing about the updates. I think it's very possible that there will never be any significant updates to this game. MAYBE there will be a single paid DLC for the people who love the game, but as far as the future I really think the whole game is slowly dying and CDPR will eventually just stop talking about it.

i mean Outer worlds got some dlc and i know goons and other people disliked that game(i thought it was ok) obviously its not the same thing but lots of games make dlc.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

dragonshardz posted:

The racism that orks and trolls experience in Shadowrun is an allegory for the racism that Black people experience IRL. Crack open one of the books to a section talking about orks and trolls, copy the text, and use your favorite text editor to replace "ork" or "troll" with "Black people". Give it a read and wowzers, Batman!

Hope this helps.

I think your just reaching or you just saw the movie bright.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Tenzarin posted:

lmao

a fantasy race that gets a negative to intelligence and a bonus to strength, that is presented as being discriminated against, commonly in poverty, and uses a reclaimed slur within their own in-group

but sure, you can think i'm reaching, you do you

and don't even think about all the descriptions of orcs/orks in prior fiction that read broadly like the author is describing a Black person

lol

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Play posted:

I really enjoyed it despite the flaws and would definitely pay a small price for a Never Fade Away edition if / when more content is released. It doesn't have Bloodlines' replay variety but it's also not nearly as busted either.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

dragonshardz posted:

a fantasy race that gets a negative to intelligence and a bonus to strength, that is presented as being discriminated against, commonly in poverty, and uses a reclaimed slur within their own in-group

No race in shadowrun gets an outright bonus, you are really reaching.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Tenzarin posted:

No race in shadowrun gets an outright bonus, you are really reaching.

So those pesky little +1 to STR, -1 to INT racial bonuses don't exist?

E: I checked and okay, fine, I confused D&D racial stat bonuses with SR 5E's lower attribute limits for ork intelligence and troll charisma.

Even taking that into account, the point that tying allegories for real racism to mechanical statistics in a game is Not Great still stands.

E2: Now that I think about it, the lower attribute caps are even worse than racial bonus. It's taking the setting's allegorical racism - "Orks are seen as less intelligent than humans" and enshrining it in the game mechanics. An ork character at their absolute maximum can NEVER have an Intelligence Attribute that is as high as that of a non-ork character with the same build.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 10, 2021

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Tenzarin posted:

I forget about bright and every time i remember it exists i laugh

Fairy lives DON’T matter!!!

Curse tha police!!!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I donno how it even got made, it was a pretty bad cyberpunk movie. Fairy wands.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Insisting over and over and over that orcs and trolls are actually black people to prove how not racist I am

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah didn't magic come back into the earth because those untrustworthy and unseemly voodoo practitioners and native peoples team up to repeatedly human sacrifice literally thousands and millions of innocents or was that a different game

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
/\/\/\ No, it wasn't because of them, once the planets realigned or whatever it was that the Mayan calendar was tracking ended the 5th Age and brought about the 6th, magic just started working again and people who clung to their old ways like Vodoo or the Ghost Dance found that it all worked again, and people with enough metahuman genes Goblinized. Elves and dwarves came a few years later from seemingly normal parents.

Aztechnology does do a lot of human sacrifice, though.

dragonshardz posted:

So those pesky little +1 to STR, -1 to INT racial bonuses don't exist?

E: I checked and okay, fine, I confused D&D racial stat bonuses with SR 5E's lower attribute limits for ork intelligence and troll charisma.

Even taking that into account, the point that tying allegories for real racism to mechanical statistics in a game is Not Great still stands.

E2: Now that I think about it, the lower attribute caps are even worse than racial bonus. It's taking the setting's allegorical racism - "Orks are seen as less intelligent than humans" and enshrining it in the game mechanics. An ork character at their absolute maximum can NEVER have an Intelligence Attribute that is as high as that of a non-ork character with the same build.

The average INT attribute in D&D is 10.

The average LOG stat in Shadowrun is 3.

Having a modifier of -1 or a maximum of one lower than a baseline human's modifier is only going to matter in extreme cases, like if you're a minmaxing powergamer. You can do that, that's fine I guess, but not allowing you to have an optimal build or whatever isn't racism.

You're reaching, I think.

Like a third or more of Humanity underwent Goblinization when the 6th Age started. Trolls and Orcs are extremely common and an easy scapegoat for racism, just not black people exclusively. They're mostly just "undesirables" or "deplorables."

Bust Rodd posted:

Insisting over and over and over that orcs and trolls are actually black people to prove how not racist I am

:hmmyes:

Also, Shadowrun rules, it was a pretty creative mashup. Bright, much less so, it feels like a Hollywood exec looked at Shadowrun and made a "Steel" out of it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 10, 2021

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The average INT attribute in D&D is 10.

The average LOG stat in Shadowrun is 3.

Having a modifier of -1 or a maximum of one lower than a baseline human's modifier is only going to matter in extreme cases, like if you're a minmaxing powergamer. You can do that, that's fine I guess, but not allowing you to have an optimal build or whatever isn't racism.

You're reaching, I think.

Like a third or more of Humanity underwent Goblinization when the 6th Age started. Trolls and Orcs are extremely common and an easy scapegoat for racism, just not black people exclusively. They're mostly just "undesirables" or "deplorables."

I'm not posting to prove anything or, evidently, very convincingly. Enjoy your day.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Orcs designed as a less intelligent race:
“No you see, that would only make a difference for power gamers” :rolleyes:

Intending or not, that is extremely normal in fantasy (games and books) so it is by no means a “stretch” or a problem exclusive to Shadowrun

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
Shadow run is designed to be analysed through a class not racial lens my dudes

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I played Shadowrun 1e and the they went heavily into lore and explanation, and UGE and Goblinization were mostly used to highlight racism and treated it as a bad thing. Being a troll or elf or orc in Shadowrun is more like a mutation than a race, although it's canon that old-school racism shifted toward metahumans instead of human ethnicities. There were black elves, white orcs, asian trolls. It was the mutation that was the point of bias, not the ethnicity.

I understand and don't disagree with the problematic nature of racial bonuses/limits in general, but I think Shadowrun is not the best example to use to demonstrate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Zeta Acosta posted:

I legit wont play a Ciri lead witcher 4.

I would probably end up playing it (if only out of residual love for Witcher 3), but that is definitely the least-enticing direction they could take the franchise to me.