Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

2.21.2024 - DLC Release Date Trailer!

June 21st 2024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLZenOn7WUo

--

2.28.23 - DLC ANNOUNCED

https://twitter.com/ELDENRING/status/1630478058103734274

--

2.23.22 - embargo has lifted :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1496503863091896326?s=21

-

:siren: goon resources in second post :siren:

https://twitter.com/PsiHypo/status/1403406303792406533

-

What is this game?

wikipedia posted:

Elden Ring is an upcoming action role-playing game developed by FromSoftware and published by Bandai Namco Entertainment. The game is a collaborative effort between game director Hidetaka Miyazaki and fantasy novelist George R. R. Martin, and is scheduled to be released for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S on February 25, 2022.

Elden Ring takes place in the realm of the Lands Between, sometime after the destruction of the titular Elden Ring and the scattering of its shards, the Great Runes. Once graced by the Ring and the Erdtree which symbolizes its presence, the realm is now ruled over by the demigod offspring of Queen Marika the Eternal, each possessing a shard of the Ring that corrupts and taints them with power. As a Tarnished — exiles from the Lands Between who lost the Ring's grace — summoned back after the Shattering, players must traverse the realm to ultimately find all the Great Runes, restore the Elden Ring, and become the Elden Lord.

Release Date : 02.25.22

pre-orders are live for xbox/ps/steam

a nasty thread

a sorry hearth upon which we occupy ourselves with Elden Ring content, emptyquoting in an unending curse

it's a sort of deadgay place, where the golden order of waffleimage links may or may not be broken to its core

where the shitposting contract, emboldened by a flame of probation, may renew...guided by goatse once lost

the teaser (06.12.19)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5wwSxl0atc

the trailer (06.10.21)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asqWq8MIAWA

first look (11.04.21)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQfGYCjP3Yg

cinematic trailer (12.10.21)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_03kFqWfqs

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Q & A / etc

:kingsley: goon group co-op password? :kingsley:

LLJK and maybe also lljk

Sockser posted:

Me, running into a big gently caress-off field boss dragon in my path to cooler poo poo:

Kaiju15 posted:

Finally managed to get my screenshots off the ps5.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Oh and can't forget my best ally:

Takes No Damage posted:

*reads posts about fighting birds with swords for legs*

deep dish peat moss posted:

This may have already been posted itt but lol

useful posts / goon trip reports

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can see exactly where the map pickup is, there's an tower-like icon in each unrevealed section of the map that shows where to find it.

e: it looks like this

-

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So that list of sites of grace you can bring up? Turns out it has a check mark system so you can check off dungeons or areas you’ve completed.

-

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The first password is for co-op matchmaking, the 5 below it are for messages and bloodstains (this is where you should put LLJK).
Passwords don't affect invasions at all, although the co-op password probably affects red summon signs.

-

drunken officeparty posted:

What are the small obelisk looking things I see everywhere

SKULL.GIF posted:

They enable using summoning ashes

I was wondering that for the longest time myself too. I was half convinced it was lore-related

-

hazardousmouse posted:

I haven't monkied with ashes of war yet, I can't imagine they're consumed when you apply them?

Filthy Monkey posted:

Not consumed. Swap them in and out to your heart's content.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Can we put this at the top of the OP? Because for my first 20 hours I thought they were consumed. It wasn't until I found my first duplication material that I understood that you only need to duplicate ash if you want to apply the same ability to multiple weapons.

-

I strongly recommend following these starting steps for new players, this will unlock your mount, ashes of war, and spirit summoning right away, and those 3 things enable a whole lot more progress. Spoiled for the sake of anyone who wants to go in blind but I don't recommend it for these 3 early things.

1) from the starting area, proceed forward until you get to a boss fight. You need to either die or win the fight, either one.

2) after the fight you'll be in a new area. There is a ghost sitting in a chair next to a hole in the ground. Jump in that hole if you would like to do the tutorial, otherwise leave through the other door in the room.

3) light the bonfire outside. Look around and you'll see a church. Head to that church next, don't fight the big horseback man yet.

4) at the church talk to the vendor and light the bonfire. This vendor sells the crafting kit for 300 runes and a torch for 100 runes. You want to buy them both. There is also a blacksmith's anvil at the Church, approaching and looting it opens up weapon upgrading.

4) to the northwest ish side of the church is a series of high cliffs/precipices you can climb. Climb to the top and interact with the statue.

5) go to the location the statue points you toward to find a catacomb. Clear the boss of that catacomb.

6) return to any bonfire and rest. An npc should appear to give you your mount. If not, just run around for a while, find new bonfires, kill things, whatever - until you trigger the mount scene at a bonfire.

7) go back to the church bonfire and there should be a new npc there. Rest if they don't show up. if it doesn't seem to trigger, explore for a bit again and make sure you run around on your horse, then come back to the church. When the npc is there, talk to them to receive the ability to use spirit summons

8) Proceed up the road to the north from the church until you get to the Gate Ruins. Clear it and look for stairs leading down into the ground. Go down the stairs and open the treasure chest to get the final piece of the puzzle here, the item that lets you equip ashes of war.

-

Mailer posted:

Don't know if this is in the OP, but exhaust all dialog from everyone. There are so many quest chains I've missed just because I didn't mash the Talk option. D showed up for a couple of visits then permanently hosed off so that's an entire chain I'll never see until a replay happens.

-

Azran posted:

Dunno if this has been shared already but there's a lot of stuff that's entirely new to Elden Ring and I had no idea even existed after like 50 hours. Some standouts:

-You can use your left handed weapon on a horse by pressing the two handed input
-You can keep your shield up while backstepping
-You can't accidentally fall to your death while on an attack chain
-Weather affects lightning and fire damage
-Golden leaves means you get extra runes from killing stuff
-Stone miners explode if they get lit on fire

amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg_hveDzzvo

-

General tips I picked up, filtering out all of the general souls-series tips:

The following key items can be found right at the start of the game, don't go past the 3rd bonfire without them:
The horse
Whetstone Knife allowing you to use weapon arts
Torch, Crafting Kit, Telescope (from a merchant)

Return to the first few campfires after you make "some progress" and try resting at them. This unlocks the ability to summon NPC spirits

You can get an early 100% physical block shield from the guards in the early ruins as a random drop

Thanks to the open world you can cheese a lot of fights by backstabbing an enemy, running until it drops aggro, then returning to backstab them again (hey it's Sekiro!)

Equip weight doesn't matter on horse so you can min/max powergame by equipping your heaviest armor when mounting up

Buy Stonesward Key whenever you see it, it's the equivalent of DS2's stones of pharros

Catacombs contain (loot type spoilers) Spirit Ashes and Spirit Ash upgrade materials
Caves and Mines contain (loot types) special equipment and ore for upgrading gear
Towers contain magic and equipment for mages as well as spell attunement slots

Collect every gesture you see because some puzzles require them

The phrase "something guides the way" means there is an invisible platform nearby

Militia Camps, Forts, etc - everything you see, contains good loot, so don't just ride past everything. But also feel free to bypass everything you can't handle yet and come back later.

you can't respec until after a late-game boss and this video recommends focusing your stats and NOT going for a quality build but :shrug: I'm still going for a quality build

Upgrade materials are not rare

-

Red Mundus posted:

If anyone is like me and hates how dodge works based on button release and not button press I've found a way to fix it if using Steam.

First click Controller Configuration on your Elden Ring library page. Then follow the images below.

This will still let you sprint but you will dodge first before sprinting so be careful. This basically turns it into Sekiro's sprinting if you've ever played that.

Let me know if this breaks something. I've been using it for awhile and no problems so far.

-

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 10, 2022

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I hope Martin's entire contribution to the plot was just scrawling hollowed ashen tarnished on a pizza grease stained napkin.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Vakal posted:

I hope Martin's entire contribution to the plot was just scrawling hollowed ashen tarnished on a pizza grease stained napkin.

I mean the trailer made me think that its the same plot of DS3 but with a different mcguffin to get instead of lord souls so probably.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh, majestic

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

whutuuuuuup

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
pog

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

This game is a dark souls prequel. You play as the nameless king. The "tarnished" refers to your royal status and the real reason the king has always been unnamed is because the player names them

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
My impression is that the story is going to be much more in the vein of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls II and Sekiro, with a direct antagonist, rather than fighting an uncaring and dying world.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Oolacile vibe or farron wood vibe? Could be either.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

tarnished one,

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
The setting is actually post-apocalyptic earth. Block chain tech causes climate change, leading to destruction. The titular elden ring is a powerful ancient relic, the nft of goatse.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Is this the ending to Game of Thrones?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

porfiria posted:

Is this the ending to Game of Thrones?

And the prequel, and Dark Souls 4 and Bloodborne 2. Time is like a smashed Elden ring.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I'm kinda annoyed at how dark soulsy it looked. write one game that doesn't involve a curse from soft. One!!

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Great opening thread OP to whats sure to be an Epic Game! :cheersdoge: my body is ready :getin:

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Don't you dare go tarnished.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
OOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Now what in tarnishing is this Golden Order, John Eldenring?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I liked seeing an actual Dragon.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
https://twitter.com/Jyaart/status/1...genumber%3D1699

Still very Berserk-y

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Aw it's a miniature Corpser from Gears of War :3:

Trailer was definitely worth the wait, as I'm sure that the game will be as well. Everything looks so good :allears:

Hope it runs at 60fps on the new consoles!

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

so fuckin excited for horse souls

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dark Souls...is over.

IT BURNS!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Thanks for making this thread BP. This game looks absolutely amazing. Simply 100% pure From here. God King devs. Let’s hope as more news leaks or comes out, we all get to find it here first!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGCZyOnA51I

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
seems like they've incorporated a lot of stuff from Sekiro on top of it just being 'open world Dark Souls' - jumping, a little more mobility in general, stealth mechanics. everything you could want

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
So much hype

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Tarnished one, be sure to bring more elden rings

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 11, 2021

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
So loving hyped for this. It looks amazing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

tarnishing presently

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I didn't mind getting no news about this game besides a bunch of speculation that and grainy video and then boom From/Bandai just drop this poo poo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

from trolled us for 732 straight days

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It's been a while for me with From games, but I love them, so I can't wait for my first blind run of this

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
tarnishing intensifies

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
ooooooooohh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvE5Pivs4Ok

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I want to know what is with that floor with the face the character is walking up the ladder away from.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I'm kinda annoyed at how dark soulsy it looked. write one game that doesn't involve a curse from soft. One!!

They've been doing it since they started as a company. They won't stop now.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

VideoGames posted:

I want to know what is with that floor with the face the character is walking up the ladder away from.

You’ll pick up an chisel nearby and the description will read “some say this was used to carve a face”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

They've been doing it since they started as a company. They won't stop now.

In Armored Core the real curse that followed humanity all the way to Mars was greed and unchecked capitalism/corporatism.