Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I love Claudia Black, but Vala makes no sense to keep on an SG team since she basically tries to backstab them whenever she can.

Teal'c wasn't military personnel, but the first thing he did was betray his ruler because he thought three people had a chance and taking him out. Even then it was a whole ordeal to get the leadership to trust him. Comparatively Vala was welcomed with open arms even though their first two interactions with her were a hijacking and a con.

And yeah, her character grows past being purely selfish, but her beginnings sours her for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
There was also a lot of stuff in the middle.

Also, something something science fiction notion of not throwing people away.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

She basically plays the exact same character again on Final Space, it's just such specific typecasting.

But yeah agreed, Vala grew on me by the end, but the character made no sense to put on SG1. But by that point the pacifist nerd archeologist Daniel had come back to life like 3 times and was jacked and dual wielding P90s - the show had given up on being grounded at all by then.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It made sense cause Daniel wanted to go to the bone zone with her and Daniel was the top guy at that point.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

IRQ posted:

But by that point the pacifist nerd archeologist Daniel had come back to life like 3 times and was jacked and dual wielding P90s - the show had given up on being grounded at all by then.

:wrong:

- Ok I'll give you that, ascension is kinda cool but also very annoying from a scifi perspective.

- Of course he's jacked, he's done 8 years of interplanetary exploration most of which involved regular 10k hikes. Also he had to regularly go toe to toe with a mean alien foe so it would be weird if he didn't get sick and tired of being the first one to be taken down, and train up to throw his own weight more. Also it's the military so it's in the culture if not the job description to be honest.

- p90s are known for being lightweight, you probably could duel wield them, and really most of what Daniel does is cover fire I don't think he actually hit many targets over the course of SG1

- most of the show, does in fact take place on ground :cheeky:

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

alexandriao posted:

:wrong:

- Ok I'll give you that, ascension is kinda cool but also very annoying from a scifi perspective.

Why?
It's a completely normal theme of higher planes of existence, consciousness as energy etc

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I dunno if the dual wielding p90 thing is a meme or if he really did that on the show but having shot a full auto p90 myself theres like no recoil on that thing a 12 yr old could dual wield them

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Teal'c dual-wielded in one of those unmarked Jaffa episodes but I can't remember Daniel ever doing it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

banned from Starbucks posted:

I dunno if the dual wielding p90 thing is a meme or if he really did that on the show but having shot a full auto p90 myself theres like no recoil on that thing a 12 yr old could dual wield them

I think people confuse it for the time Teal'c did it

e;fb

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

iirc Daniel did it once when he had to cover Sam doing some sciencey stuff.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

pixaal posted:

I think people confuse it for the time Teal'c did it

e;fb

How the gently caress is Teal'C so awesome

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

How the gently caress is Teal'C so awesome

Because Christopher Judge is a treasure.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Does anyone else dream of being held in those strong arms like boughs of a mighty tree

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Real life action figure with Kung Fu grip.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Floppychop posted:

iirc Daniel did it once when he had to cover Sam doing some sciencey stuff.

Back in season 1 finale (or episode 1 of season 2?) Daniel dual wields the pistol they always left him with and Sam's gun (some kind of smg I think?) in the hallway of the mothership and he looks like he has no control over either gun, it's great.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It was the finale of s1 where Daniel dual wields and then gets taken down in his moment of glory.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

oh yeah thats right. He dual wields a semi auto pistol and a full auto MP5 and, shockingly, misses a jaffa standing 10 feet away.

edit i completely forgot how in early seasons theyre just constantly dumping like 100s of rounds out of their 30 round mp5 mags but in later seasons theyre actually shown reloading fairly often when their ammo jumps to the 50 round P90 mags. I guess scifi channel sprung for a military advisor?

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 12, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

oh yeah thats right. He dual wields a semi auto pistol and a full auto MP5 and, shockingly, misses a jaffa standing 10 feet away.

edit i completely forgot how in early seasons theyre just constantly dumping like 100s of rounds out of their 30 round mp5 mags but in later seasons theyre actually shown reloading fairly often when their ammo jumps to the 50 round P90 mags. I guess scifi channel sprung for a military advisor?

didn't they literally have money from the military anyway, i assume that would mean military advisors come cheaper

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Erulisse posted:

Why?
It's a completely normal theme of higher planes of existence, consciousness as energy etc

Because the brain is one hell of a lot more complex than that. Having done some lectures on the brain and having a basic interest in the physical aspects of it, it's easy to know that EEGs as they are in Stargate do not work like that (Which is an acceptable handwave for the stories they wanted to tell), that the brain is an incredibly complex thing that we are unlikely to understand at the end of the century, and that the idea of "consciousness as energy" is utterly absurd.

That doesn't mean it's bad scifi, it can be fun and is interesting to think about that, but it is blisteringly easy to see that "things do not actually work like that"

(Like, this understanding could be wrong, but im pretty sure if you asked this question to an expert they would just laugh at you and end the phonecall)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

alexandriao posted:

didn't they literally have money from the military anyway, i assume that would mean military advisors come cheaper

im not sure when in the series they got the official Air Force seal of approval..maybe around when the irl Air Force general guy guest starred?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

alexandriao posted:

(Like, this understanding could be wrong, but im pretty sure if you asked this question to an expert they would just laugh at you and end the phonecall)

As with matter-energy conversion etc etc but here we are...

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Erulisse posted:

As with matter-energy conversion etc etc but here we are...

matter-energy conversion is how a nuclear bomb works

it's literally what E = mc² calculates. the amount of energy from matter when converted

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

im not sure when in the series they got the official Air Force seal of approval..maybe around when the irl Air Force general guy guest starred?

Didn't they start with the military funding and then had it decrease over time? It's why they go from full Air Force getups and guest stars in the early seasons and then shift to generic jumpsuits and Stargate Command-focused iconography over time. Stargate was part of the same post-Cold War but pre-9/11 military marketing push that funded blockbusters like Independence Day. The US didn't have a hypothetical existential enemy in the 90s, so the Pentagon decided to help fund some media about 'murica kicking alien asses and saving the world as roundabout PR.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

alexandriao posted:

it's literally what E = mc² calculates. the amount of energy from matter when converted

Pardon me. Energy to matter.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

alexandriao posted:

I think they mean the other way energy to matter, which looks like in 2014 we made some progress on. Printing a sandwich with it like scifi in general seems to like does seem like a stretch though. Evidence points to higher weight elements requiring a star to forge. Unless you are going to also preform cold fusion we are likely to just get a cloud of helium.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I think science fiction writers go to energy based creatures just because it's an easy way to say they're way more advanced than humans. They don't have to think about ways to show off how smart those aliens are.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Floppychop posted:

I think science fiction writers go to energy based creatures just because it's an easy way to say they're way more advanced than humans. They don't have to think about ways to show off how smart those aliens are.

There was that one ancient energy dude who built a stargate out of a microwave oven, or something, that's smart!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

alexandriao posted:

Well you got me there.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rappaport posted:

There was that one ancient energy dude who built a stargate out of a microwave oven, or something, that's smart!

Sam had a pretty big credit card bill after that.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Very disappointing going through a tiny gate to a normal size one doesn't scale you up in size.

Or that you can make emergency gates with a little time and eBay but we never see that tech again.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Seriously, that'd be so useful for SG teams/the military at large, if only for passing spare ammunition through.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

raverrn posted:

Very disappointing going through a tiny gate to a normal size one doesn't scale you up in size.

Or that you can make emergency gates with a little time and eBay but we never see that tech again.

That would have been great if in season 9 they revealed every Tau'ri ship was equipped with a manmade emergency gate they reverse engineered from the one in Sam's basement. Something that snaps on and they drop a slide in front of it to quickly evacuate in case poo poo hits the fan.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It would be great to have multiple scenes of ships crews flying wantonly out of the gate followed by a shower of wreckage and debris that cuts off with the iris

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

raverrn posted:

They actually did include the gate scaling in the show using the Ori super gates and later season's O'Neill

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Ratjaculation posted:

They actually did include the gate scaling in the show using the Ori super gates and later season's O'Neill

:captainpop:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I just got that and went :xd:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

But saying that having myself spent the last 14 months experiencing what happens to a body when your work/life balance changes, he looked great still.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

alexandriao posted:

Except for all the time they're on spaceships, which I think the later seasons got more dominated by.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

What about when they're on a spaceship, under the sea, on Earth? How grounded is that? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rappaport posted:

What about when they're on a spaceship, under the sea, on Earth? How grounded is that? :ohdear:

Well if we're being pedants like that, then those ships cease to be spaceships when they're under the sea on Earth.